Sunglasses - Ray Ban or...

I have a pair of Ray Bans that I really like except for they will not stay on my head when I raise them up after going inside. If I look down for any reason they fall off and bounce across the floor. Something to check for if you are in the habit of just pushing your sunglasses up. 

Your glasses are trying to tell you that you look like you’re wearing a tiara when you do that. Don’t do that.

12 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I like aviators because I don’t like the raccoon face that thick frames give me. Lately I’ve been buying whatever sub-$100 Raybans they have at Costco, but they kinda suck.

Are all the Costas thick framed?

Believe they have a few frames now that will keep you looking like jimmy Houston 

On 6/3/2018 at 1:41 PM, Celery Man said:

Yeah, I get the whole "you're paying for the brand it's an overpriced chunk of plastic" thing, but I've had the same pair of wayfarers for coming on 3 years and they're still in great shape and function perfectly.  The plastic frames have some road rash in a few spots, but the lenses are unmarred.

I have the Wayfarer piano black ones...  Last summer we got to Port Royal in Port Aransas and about an hour after getting in the room we are loading up for the beach.  As we are walking from the parking lot/garage, my sunglasses fall off my head and shatter one of the lenses.  Day 1.  And this is what you need sunglasses for...  Fortunately I have a back up pair of old Oakleys in my SUV and used those.  One benefit of the Ray Bans is you can pop new lenses in.  It's a bit of a bitch but doable.

1 hour ago, RD3 said:

I have the Wayfarer piano black ones...  Last summer we got to Port Royal in Port Aransas and about an hour after getting in the room we are loading up for the beach.  As we are walking from the parking lot/garage, my sunglasses fall off my head and shatter one of the lenses.  Day 1.  And this is what you need sunglasses for...  Fortunately I have a back up pair of old Oakleys in my SUV and used those.  One benefit of the Ray Bans is you can pop new lenses in.  It's a bit of a bitch but doable.

That does in fact suck.  Glass lenses or plastic?  And yeah, I definitely keep a backup pair in the truck - some $5 wayfarer clones (not as good as the real thing, but they were $5) I bought at the.... whatever the place is with the smaller shark across the street from the Islander in Port A.

I am curious what the brands of cheap but just as good glasses are, for wayfarers.  I do prefer the thicker plastic frames on the side that block out a bit of sun coming from that angle.

Picked these up at the golf course this weekend after leaving my raybans in a rental car.

b042f1a0e52282d890cd44bcf66a993b.heic

Tifosi. $50. Can’t really recommend them since I felt like I could see the ball better with them off, but they are a step up from crap gas station sunglasses.

23 hours ago, Celery Man said:

That does in fact suck.  Glass lenses or plastic?  And yeah, I definitely keep a backup pair in the truck - some $5 wayfarer clones (not as good as the real thing, but they were $5) I bought at the.... whatever the place is with the smaller shark across the street from the Islander in Port A.

Glass lenses. Day 1 not even on the beach...

3 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

And dammit I just realized they aren't polarized.  In poring through the online site, I assumed that they were all polarized.

Is it worth the hassle to return the one's I have and go polarized?  I know it'll be more expensive but whatever.

I have to have polarized for driving the boat, the sun glare coming off the water is unbearable without polarized lenses.  Helps me for eye strain in general, too.

On 6/9/2018 at 2:37 PM, Celery Man said:

I am curious what the brands of cheap but just as good glasses are, for wayfarers.  I do prefer the thicker plastic frames on the side that block out a bit of sun coming from that angle.

Knock-off Wayfarers just don't fit right.  Wayfarer frames angle the lenses back to fit across the nose, most knock-offs don't.  That's not including the actual, good brands of sunglasses that make Wayfarer lookalikes, I'm just talking about the super cheap knockoffs and gimmes that are supposed to look like Ray Ban Wayfarers.

And I'm definitely in love with my Wayfarers, I have a couple-year-old pair of polarized ones that are my usuals, but I also have two pair that I bought in the 80s and have somehow managed to hold onto ever since.  One is a standard black, and the other is a wild black-and-silver take on tortoise shell frames that I haven't seen anywhere else in about three decades.

On 6/10/2018 at 7:30 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Is it worth the hassle to return the one's I have and go polarized?  I know it'll be more expensive but whatever.

That's a personal thing.  I don't do watersports, or anything else that requires glare protection.  But I do do photography and polarization messes up with the viewfinder, so when there's a choice I choose to go with non-polarizef glasses.

On 6/9/2018 at 9:12 PM, RD3 said:

As we are walking from the parking lot/garage, my sunglasses fall off my head and shatter one of the lenses.  .

Sucks.  But that's a function of the lens material. Glass shatters and plastic scratches.

On 6/10/2018 at 11:26 PM, utee94 said:

Knock-off Wayfarers just don't fit right.  Wayfarer frames angle the lenses back to fit across the nose, most knock-offs don't.  

Could be a very model/manufacturing specific features.  By and large fit is determined by pupillary distance and arm length (both of which are marked on the side of the arm), not the brand.

I also have a flatter nose bridge, so glasses without grippy pads tend to slide down my face. Of course, having the right width and tension on the glasses help secure the fit.

40 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

That's a personal thing.  I don't do watersports, or anything else that requires glare protection.  But I do do photography and polarization messes up with the viewfinder, so when there's a choice I choose to go with non-polarizef glasses.

Sucks.  But that's a function of the lens material. Glass shatters and plastic scratches.

Could be a very model/manufacturing specific features.  By and large fit is determined by pupillary distance and arm length (both of which are marked on the side of the arm), not the brand.

I also have a flatter nose bridge, so glasses without grippy pads tend to slide down my face. Of course, having the right width and tension on the glasses help secure the fit.

It;s definitely not that complicated.  Just take a pair or Ray Ban Wayfarers and set them on a table, looking at them from the side.  Then take a pair of the cheap knock-offs and do the same.  You'll see that the Wayfarers lens frames are raked pretty sharply back from top to bottom.  The cheapies are usually almost straight down.  This results in a weird fit across the nose because the lenses and up being way too close to your eyes and for me especially, my eyelashes rub against them which feels horrible.  They also don't LOOK right, as they hang straight down awkwardly, instead of being fitted to the wearer's face.

Wayfarers are specifically designed this way, and some of the nicer brands do it as well.  I have a pair of new Kimoa sunglasses that are similarly shaped, but all of the cheapie knockoffs just sit flat/straight down, and look and feel terrible.

I found some Ray Bans here at home that some high school friend of my kids left and we never tracked down the owner since they graduated 2 years ago. So I used them for the first time at the regional on Saturday. Since we lost I wore everything different for Monday including some $4.99 Yum sunglasses instead of the Ray Bans. The Yum glasses worked better for me when trying to locate the ball.

I have a pair of costas I bought 5 years ago. The rubber coating on the part near the part that goes behind your ears started to come off. I sent them in 7 months ago and they found a scratch on one of the lenses so they replaced the entire glassss for only $12 + S&H 5 years plus after purchase.

580g FTW
That's good to know. I have a pair like that and another with a broken lense. I need to send them in

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

It;s definitely not that complicated.  Just take a pair or Ray Ban Wayfarers and set them on a table, looking at them from the side.  Then take a pair of the cheap knock-offs and do the same.  You'll see that the Wayfarers lens frames are raked pretty sharply back from top to bottom.  The cheapies are usually almost straight down.  This results in a weird fit across the nose because the lenses and up being way too close to your eyes and for me especially, my eyelashes rub against them which feels horrible.  They also don't LOOK right, as they hang straight down awkwardly, instead of being fitted to the wearer's face.

Wayfarers are specifically designed this way, and some of the nicer brands do it as well.  I have a pair of new Kimoa sunglasses that are similarly shaped, but all of the cheapie knockoffs just sit flat/straight down, and look and feel terrible.

9_EBC605_A_0_A9_E_43_D1_A5_D3_B5_E2_B769

those are "Wayfarers" rather than "New Wayfarers", and I think that New Wayfarers have less of that rake.  But it does make a huge difference in the field of vision coverage, which is why I like those glasses so much.  The very edges of my periphery in my Ray Bans are unshaded (and the arms block a bit of light), but in the flatter cheap shades a lot more light gets in (and reflects off the inside of the lenses as well).

My 2-year-old Wayfarers have slightly less rake than my 30-year-old Wayfarers but not by much.  Or is "New Wayfarer" a style rather than a designation of age?  I'll admit I don't follow it that closely.

Either way, the rake is important for fit, feel, looks, and light blockage, as you point out.  Cheapies definitely don't cut it (though I keep countless pair of them on the boat for friends and emergencies :) ).

6 hours ago, utee94 said:

The point is whether it is raked or not is a design - not an indicator of quality, or fit.  One can have protruding eyebrow ridges like Steven Adams, and none might not.

If someone's head is not in the dimensions for which Raybans model xx, it doesn't make the Raybans bad.

I like the styling of most persols, but very very few of them actually fit me - physically.  They are very wide for the width of my head

6 hours ago, utee94 said:

My 2-year-old Wayfarers have slightly less rake than my 30-year-old Wayfarers but not by much.  Or is "New Wayfarer" a style rather than a designation of age?  I'll admit I don't follow it that closely.

Either way, the rake is important for fit, feel, looks, and light blockage, as you point out.  Cheapies definitely don't cut it (though I keep countless pair of them on the boat for friends and emergencies :) ).

It's a different design, both are available now.  I'm aware of this because I lost (and then found, and then gave to my girlfriend, a long time ago) my old "New Wayfarers" a while ago and discovered two models when I went to replace them.

Original-New-comaprison-ray-ban-wayfarer

The shape is just a shape, but as far as $5 gas station sunglasses go, they're typically pretty flat, which is one reason I will likely replace my Ray Bans when I eventually lose them, damage the lens, or break the frame.

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

The point is whether it is raked or not is a design - not an indicator of quality, or fit.  One can have protruding eyebrow ridges like Steven Adams, and none might not.

If someone's head is not in the dimensions for which Raybans model xx, it doesn't make the Raybans bad.

I like the styling of most persols, but very very few of them actually fit me - physically.  They are very wide for the width of my head

The rake fits better for me and pretty much anyone I've ever known.   It certainly LOOKS better.  Not weird and awkward like the crappy straight-down ones. Which is why the good manufacturers use it to at least some extent, and the crappy ones don't because it's easier and cheaper not to.

But by all means, you do you. 

Edited by utee94

On 6/3/2018 at 10:18 PM, El Diablo said:

I've been a fan of Porsche Design since the early '80's. They make aviators which is a timeless style, just don't lose them is all I can say. Treat them like you would prescription glasses.

Bono, is that you?

15d91052ef0b142a6aa7937e404015c0.jpg

On 6/9/2018 at 2:37 PM, Celery Man said:

After having lost thousands of dollars worth of expensive sunglasses in my life, I just started buying cheap.

I found these a few weeks ago and I love them. Polarized lenses, lightweight, springe hinges. Come in Tortoise or black. Obviously I can't give feedback on longevity yet, but I I love them so far. I got one of each color and wish they had more colors. I have a narrow face, so these fit me just fine, but they have a similar, larger model available as well. $14 each. I'll probably order 5 more pairs just to have around.

https://www.sunglasswarehouse.com/trent-polarized-retro-square.html?on=Tortoise%2BFrame%2Bwith%2BAmber%2BLenses&showid=15805

Non skinny face model

https://www.sunglasswarehouse.com/Garnet-6030.html?on=Black%2BFrame%2Bwith%2BBlue%2BMirrored%2BLenses&showid=13736

buy from runningwarehouse.com 
use code runblog10 

Got my goodr shades in yesterday. Goodr seem good enough but definitely not my favorite.

I like some nike veer I got for $40 from big 5 sports more but they are different styles completely.

I think my problem with wayfarer style sunglasses is the flat nature of them don’t block the sun I get the most often. I drive mopac every day so the sun is on my left to and from work. I need glasses that wrap more. My costa brine fit the bill.

I’ll still use them walking the neighborhood just no use to me commuting.

On 6/16/2018 at 4:52 AM, GottaB said:

I think my problem with wayfarer style sunglasses is the flat nature of them don’t block the sun I get the most often. I drive mopac every day so the sun is on my left to and from work. I need glasses that wrap more. 

oakleymedusa.jpg

p4pb4502277.jpg

over+the+top+oakley.jpg?format=750w

• Haha 1

On 6/4/2018 at 4:22 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Have a pair of Costa Del mars (15 years now) for deep sea fishing only. They are indeed incredible(ly expensive).

I find the rubber peels off. I too only wear mine for fishing. Still have the best lenses, so I just suck it up. 

Anyone ever buy replacement lenses? I got a pair of Oakley holbrooks with non-polarized grey lenses.

I don’t mind the frames. And I don’t want to drop $100 for lenses or replace the sunglasses. Are any of the aftermarket lenses worth a damn. Walleva, Revant, etc

Edit To Add: just did some browsing on the oakley forums. The replacement lenses at the bottom line from revant, walleva, fuse, etc are crap.  No better than stage lenses. Some leading to headaches.  Some of the premium lines from Fuse and Revant get a lot of reviews that are pretty good.  Ikon seems to be okay.  Linegear are probably a step up from any of the ones listed..  In case anyone else was interested. 

Edited by GottaB