Succession -- HBO

Patrick Bateman

Some may argue she’s actually more of a traditional, Rubenesque, porcelain skinned beauty than modern day hottie. 

Has a new writer been assigned to Roman’s dialogue the last few eps? Because where I used to find his asides rather lame, Culkin has been killing it lately. And did he propose to older dame?

I’m not sure exactly how a CEO who’s just been named will get the stink of the Cruise scandal, and therefore be jettisoned quickly would work, but that appears to be the construct we’re about to get. 

And my long-standing theory that the vomiting amusement park worker throwing up thru his mask in the first scene ever eventually succeeds to the throne is looking better than ever: Logan literally tells Greg(ory ) “I like you” (how many times has he said that to his own children?), Greg still has some blackmail material, he’s always included on all the big events, entertains at his lavish penthouse, is subtlety starting to look the part with the better suits and haircut, and based on the preview for the next episode, his profile will go way up as he testifies before a hearing. I predict he surprises and wins the day.

And who knew he stood to inherit $250,000,000? 

2 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

I just figured the "I like you", was Logan trying to keep Greg from quitting.  If he can convince Greg to not quit, he beats his brother in a petty battle.  Maybe Greg loses $250 million, but what does Logan care?  He doesn't like to lose.

This.

It's all about fucking his brother which benefits Logan. He doesn't give two shits about Greg as a person. 

My first thought was Tom will be the blood sacrifice, but since his name has been introduced in the hearing, perhaps Logan means a literal blood relative, Gregory Hirsch. 

But I don’t think Greg saving the cruise documents from the fire pit was a red herring, and it will eventually have meaning. He may have leverage, and it’s his hedge against being the patsy. 

I liked how nice guy Bill slyly dropped the info about how he has all the diaries... don’t fuck with me, Logan.

And is there a more punchable guy than Shiv’s old fuckbuddy, Gil’s political operative, whatshisname? B.J. Novak wants his identity back.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Connor shaking his fist in celebration after every Logan/Kendall comeback during the Congressional Hearing was hilarious.

42 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Logan is the one going down.  

The lines from Tom and someone else when Greg was excited he was going to at least inherit $5mm killed me.  "Like being the tallest dwarf"

Yep along with all of Tom's email calling Lester - "Mo" and the human foot stool questions

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

My first thought was Tom will be the blood sacrifice, but since his name has been introduced in the hearing, perhaps Logan means a literal blood relative, Gregory Hirsch. 

But I don’t think Greg saving the cruise documents from the fire pit was a red herring, and it will eventually have meaning. He may have leverage, and it’s his hedge against being the patsy. 

I liked how nice guy Bill slyly dropped the info about how he has all the diaries... don’t fuck with me, Logan.

And is there a more punchable guy than Shiv’s old fuckbuddy, Gil’s political operative, whatshisname? B.J. Novak wants his identity back.

Greg has his copies of the shredded docs (some of them, anyway).  Bill has his diaries (or so Logan thinks).  Tom has nothing and while Logan would definitely sell out one of his children if he had to, he'd do it to a non-blood family member first.  If Tom's not juicy enough, Kendall is next.

19 hours ago, lateshow said:

"Can't make Tomlettes without breaking a few Gregs."

How has that not been mentioned? I literally laughed out loud on that one. 

what was funny about that was Tom's reaction to hearing it out loud in a public setting - totally relate-able.

As a adults i think we all have done something that seemed funny and hilarious at the time, and then when exposed to a wider mature audience, we get totally embarrassed about it.

Edited by yoladu
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, yoladu said:

what was funny about that was Tom's reaction to hearing it out loud in a public setting - totally relate-able.

As a adults i think we all have done something that seemed funny and hilarious at the time, and then when exposed to a wider mature audience, we get totally embarrassed about it.

Think of the funniest things people have posted on this board.  Some quite irreverent.  Some inside jokes.  Then imagine them being read in a courtroom setting.

"your honor, you really had to be there...."

Edited by Don Johnson

I found a fair amount of the Senate hearing scene to be unreal. They seemed to be surprising Tom with his emails but didn't Waystar gave the emails to the congressional hearing. Tom would have been prepared on how to answer those questions.  The lawyer/PR rep would have come up with a better response to why they all referred to Lester as Mo behind his back.

And wouldn't the Senator know that Greg was cousins with the Roy family?

7 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Think of the funniest things people have posted on this board.  Some quite irreverent.  Some inside jokes.  Then imagine them being read in a courtroom setting.

"your honor, you really had to be there...."

That is exactly how we went from being the place that no longer matters to the Surly. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I found a fair amount of the Senate hearing scene to be unreal. They seemed to be surprising Tom with his emails but didn't Waystar gave the emails to the congressional hearing. Tom would have been prepared on how to answer those questions.  The lawyer/PR rep would have come up with a better response to why they all referred to Lester as Mo behind his back.

some of this, yes.  i would assume waystar did a huge document dump to congress.  idiotic to give it to them electronically (searchable) but i guess they thought playing along would be more beneficial, and the whole thing moved unrealistically quick for some govt committee hearing.  

it's almost like tom's job is to play dumb.  he wasn't prepared for that internal investigation either (the one that was supposed to be bullshit but didn't seem very bullshitty, and he left to go pee).  i would think after being so "careful" with the document destroying, he would've been ready for some of what was thrown at him.  they certainly had better stuff than foot stool nonsense.

i wish the hearings took up more of the episode.  seems like scenes were missing.  the plan was "kill bill" but that plan didn't seem very well executed.  in editing, the episode just seemed to platform the 3 children because it's the penultimate episode of the season.  kendall stood tall in the line of questioning, finally showing a backbone.  roman somehow looks like he might get a deal done, while playing it sorta cool in a hostage showdown.  and shiv showed her pr/crisis mgmt chops talking that woman out of testifying.

now, logan (l to the o.g.) gets to decide where everyone stands.  

On 10/9/2019 at 2:39 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

When Gil asked how to pronounce Tom’s name it’s truly unbelievable he wasn’t prepared to say “you should know since you attended my wedding”. Could have undermined his whole line of questioning but I guess the plot was better served by having him look like an idiot 

On 10/7/2019 at 8:04 PM, Chewbacca said:

Greg has his copies of the shredded docs (some of them, anyway).  Bill has his diaries (or so Logan thinks).  Tom has nothing and while Logan would definitely sell out one of his children if he had to, he'd do it to a non-blood family member first.  If Tom's not juicy enough, Kendall is next.

It’s going to be Gerry or another board member. I can’t imagine him knifing Tom after Shiv killed that testimony 

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Yeah that fourth month of a marriage always tests the ability for one spouse to take a congressional perjury charge for the other one.  Been there myself  

I hope it isn't Tom as I think he is one of the best characters on the show from a pure entertainment standpoint. 

• Like 1

During Kendall’s press conference there was a very obvious cut to show a manila envelope in Greg’s hands not long after Kendall mentioned something about having documentations to prove his allegations.

c2fa81d017cb9baeeb3bbd80bcbca8bd.jpg
c9cb9352b94795cd3b39b20a3afb04ca.jpg
23eb4d9a0ec096d75b405a2b34e6c7e6.jpg
709f62ff1bed35e0970a297656bf5067.jpg
63052fc3aa1e2c396f997e0527416d51.jpg

Did Greg give them to Kendall? Putting his chips all in to avoid going down with Tom?

And I have a sneaking suspicion that Roman putting a halt to the private money deal might just be intentional too. Further putting the screws to Logan and forcing his hand and painting him into a corner.

Roman also was awfully and uncharacteristically supportive of Kendall in this episode and very un-Roman like.

And that meeting with Stewie - initiated by Kendall to further put pressure on Logan. Again forcing Logan into the only option left - a blood sacrifice.

Something tells me this whole scheme was not some last minute play by Kendall.

Calling my shot - I think we’re going to discover come season three that what we saw tonight was the completion of a successful bloodless coup by Kendall. And he didn’t do it without help.

2 hours ago, bamachine said:

^Yeah, I also would not doubt that Logan's brother was part of this from the beginning, sending Greg in as a plant. The whole "threat" to cut him out of the will was staged to get Logan to trust Greg more, have him at key meetings.

Going pretty far down the rabbit hole with this one.  The old man threatened Greg with no one else around.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Yeah I don’t think Greg was a plant from jump.

But he did lose his shit about sticking with Logan over his inheritance in front of everyone in the waiting room at DC.

Perfect in for Kendall to pull Greg in.

Greg told Kendall about the docs at Shiv’s wedding. Greg saw how he was getting rammed and now can help in taking down Logan and guaranteeing his inheritance.

Kendall’s kiss on Logan’s cheek was him signaling to Logan that he’s fucked. Godfather like. 

39 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Part of me thinks this is what Logan wanted to happen.  He goaded Kendall into becoming the killer.

When he was watching it, you would'v expected Logan to throw a tantrum.  Instead, he calmly put his finger to his lips and told everyone to hush and listen.

and they had him hinting at a prideful grin.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Part of me thinks this is what Logan wanted to happen.  He goaded Kendall into becoming the killer.

When he was watching it, you would'v expected Logan to throw a tantrum.  Instead, he calmly put his finger to his lips and told everyone to hush and listen.

I think that's likely.  Logan had already made the point he couldn't off himself -- he still knew he needed to be the one to go.

5 hours ago, Wade said:

Going pretty far down the rabbit hole with this one.  The old man threatened Greg with no one else around.

They were on the veranda at a party, with tons of people around. They were not down in the middle of the crowd or anything but people were walking by them. Maybe not right when he said that. I said it might be, not that is was a thing. I also doubt he was sent in there as a plant from the jump but after he had stared working at the office and drove his grandfather, back in season one. I think that might be where the plan was hatched. They made a point of showing it was a long drive, no music allowed and I doubt that was only to show how cantankerous his GF might be. They established that in other scenes.

It is not a sure thing, unlike how we know Greg is helping Kendall now, but just a thought on a possibility.

Edited by bamachine

"It's how every story ends.  It's what you are, Jason, a killer.  You always will be."

That whole ending gave me the feels, and in many ways ironic to how Cox's character role ended 15 years ago in the Bourne films.

I agree though, he absolutely setup Kendall to do the job he (Logan) wanted done in the first place.  He accepted he needed to step down but it had to be done in the right manner and Kendall delivered perfectly.