Succession -- HBO

Patrick Bateman

• 4 weeks later...

Anywhere you can do like a free preview?  Out google fiber is ending soon so we're just riding it out until November and then adding HBOmax and some others.  But I don't know if I can hold out that long to watch this show.  A lot of times, a season premiere can be had for free without even bothering with registering an account/card.  BUt maybe that's just showtime.  AHHH, I miss this show!

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

While I agree, Cousin Greg is at his best when he's playing off of Tom. I hope they're reunited soon. 

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Oh hell yeah. I've called multiple times for a half-hour sitcom that is "The Corporate Adventures of Tom and Greg." :D 

You can’t make a Tomelette without breaking some Greggs

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

when did Roman become the smartest guy in the room? His advice on how to handle the cruise scandal was dead correct.

• But, he blew it with the phone call later to his Dad (maybe intentionally)

but yeah, Gerri was the safe, prudent choice for CEO.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, yoladu said:

when did Roman become the smartest guy in the room? His advice on how to handle the cruise scandal was dead correct.

• But, he blew it with the phone call later to his Dad (maybe intentionally)

but yeah, Gerri was the safe, prudent choice for CEO.

I think he figured he'd be out permanently if dad went soft and picked Shiv. But if he picked Gerri, then Roman would not only end up with a shot at the title, but he could continue his romance/degradation thing with her, only on steroids. He's a very conflicted person. TLDR he really wanted Logan to pick Gerri. He set it up. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

roman always gives the same advice.  it just happens to be right ~half the time.

roman is the only one he absolutely could not pick as ceo, because he's the only person kendall would have a decided strategic advantage over.  if roman was smart, he would've said, "make me ceo, i'll be your figurehead and puppet and you can still be in charge."

also i know kendall was all amped up, but man it was rough seeing him talk over the pr/legal teams he brought in.  logan is a "bad guy".  kendall doesn't have to do shit to win in the court of public opinion.  assuming shiv comes on board, and possibly frank, it should all be over but the crying.

until kendall steps on his dick again.  which he always always does.

Kendall’s grand plans fucked over by a box of donuts is just so Kendall.

And the quote about Gerri being a biological suit for Shiv means Gerri will be the sacrificial lamb for this transition and take all the heat and go down so Shiv can swoop in as the enlightened young savior.

Fantastic show.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Logan was just making sure that Shiv is in the boat. Shiv is going to show up and overstep her bounds with Gerri with some stupid power play shit, and it's going to piss Roman off, who'll then either start sabotaging Shiv or start helping Kendall. Kendall seems to vacillate between being a shit show and randomly capable, so I bet he'll be randomly capable this next episode

• Like 1

excellent episode.. the scenes with all 4 Roy children in the daughter's room were so good.

I honestly thought this was the moment they were all going to band together -  i guess i am naïve/clueless.

The scenes with Greg trying to CYA were also great. He is keenly aware he is being played (mostly) by three sides now (Logan camp, Kendall camp, Granddaddy camp), but has no power and no real world experiences to navigate through it effectively - but will probably end up backassward on top.

Kendall doesn't have shit (the papers).

Edited by yoladu

5 hours ago, Fud said:

Logan was just making sure that Shiv is in the boat. Shiv is going to show up and overstep her bounds with Gerri with some stupid power play shit, and it's going to piss Roman off, who'll then either start sabotaging Shiv or start helping Kendall. Kendall seems to vacillate between being a shit show and randomly capable, so I bet he'll be randomly capable this next episode

Interesting because Kendall seemed to have his shit together before donuts came.  They attacked him, he took a breath, and responded rationally.  Right up until Connor declined. 

Edited by A-Tex Devil

2 hours ago, yoladu said:

excellent episode.. the scenes with all 4 Roy children in the daughter's room were so good.

I honestly thought this was the moment they were all going to band together -  i guess i am naïve/clueless.

The scenes with Greg trying to CYA were also great. He is keenly aware he is being played (mostly) by three sides now (Logan camp, Kendall camp, Granddaddy camp), but has no power and no real world experiences to navigate through it effectively - but will probably end up backassward on top.

I'm team Cousin Greg all the way. I want that to happen. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 2:43 PM, BHMCruiser said:

Ken's lines about teats were so shitty it may have derailed the entire series for me. Terrible writing. 

Disagree. I thought it was perfect.

Ken had been so controlled up to that point, but with Roman and then Shiv rejecting him, he could feel his whole plan unravling.

He may have been uncertain about Roman, but he was certain that he could "get" Shiv and felt it was important to do so. So when she basically said, "I'm out", he was like a 10-year-old throwing a temper tantrum.  That's exactly the kind of shit a flustered little boy would say to try and piss off his sister while throwing a tantrum.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

On 10/25/2021 at 10:37 AM, yoladu said:

Yeah, he was sure his grandpa would at least have his best interests at heart.  But nope.  Loved that scene.  Greg being a pawn, knowing he's a pawn, but not having a way out is fantastic.

19 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, he was sure his grandpa would at least have his best interests at heart.  But nope.  Loved that scene.  Greg being a pawn, knowing he's a pawn, but not having a way out is fantastic.

LOL yes.

The scene with the lawyer showing up at his door was so great.

"Umm...do you choose me or do I choose you...?"  :D 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Disagree. I thought it was perfect.

Ken had been so controlled up to that point, but with Roman and then Shiv rejecting him, he could feel his whole plan unravling.

He may have been uncertain about Roman, but he was certain that he could "get" Shiv and felt it was important to do so. So when she basically said, "I'm out", he was like a 10-year-old throwing a temper tantrum.  That's exactly the kind of shit a flustered little boy would say to try and piss off his sister while throwing a tantrum.

Nobody who is not Amish says "teats" especially when they are angry.

they have obviously spent tons of time in Europe, even lived there most assuredly. i didn't find it that jarring.

so their general family timeline...

Connor was from his first wife... have we met her? is she living? there's obviously a big gap bt him and the others...they all have the same mother, right? the British one? and Roman's the baby?

13 hours ago, mchookem said:

they have obviously spent tons of time in Europe, even lived there most assuredly. i didn't find it that jarring.

Connor was from his first wife... have we met her? is she living? there's obviously a big gap bt him and the others...they all have the same mother, right? the British one? and Roman's the baby?

Crazy to think in real life, there's only 10 years between Brian Cox (Logan Roy) and Alan Ruck (Connor Roy)---reminds me of the old Steven Wright joke, "You know, one of my grandfathers died as a young boy.  But yes, there is an intentional effort to suggest a big gap between Connor and the other three who seem relatively close together in age.  I think Shiv is the youngest actually (on the show), but I could be wrong. 

And I seem to remember it was suggested that Logan left Connor's mother decades ago, and I think she's since died.  Can't remember which season but it was when the kids were going around to martial shares still held by family/ex-family and she wasn't on the list.  I took that mean she had died and the shares reverted to Connor or something.  I dunno, but surely she would have been mentioned during that rundown of share owners (she would presumably gotten something in a divorce), or mentioned by that writer who was trying to uncover shit about Connor and his family.  Unless they've purposely kept her a secret to use as a plot device down the road.  I also think that his current wife's son is going to present a problem down the road.  

14 hours ago, mchookem said:

Don't think we've met wife #1 of 3, or have even heard much about her yet

Loved seasons 1-2 and all the writing/banter between characters.  But I think I am becoming tired of the conversations between the siblings after that last ep...they really never get anywhere bc Roman has to comment after everything and Shiv can't think for herself.  Roman used to be funny...now it's meh annoying.  I watch for Logan, Greg, Bill now...