Succession -- HBO

Patrick Bateman

On 5/28/2023 at 11:32 PM, veritas aequitas said:

This was a really good show, it was really well made, I watched but in the end I never really liked a single character. None of them, they were all kind of shitty in their own way.

Yeah but I figured we all felt that was intentional from the start.

Dirty mouth Roman talking about jerking off to his sisters tits while she breastfeeds is hilarious but not very endearing lmao

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Midway through final season. I still hate Greg with the might of a thousand suns.  His voice. His punchable face. He’s the exact person I imagine sits in the surly CR all day 

You sound like you could use a nice safe space where you don’t have to pretend to like Hamilton.

• Haha 1

On 6/2/2023 at 8:19 PM, Chopper said:

Some have argued argued this or some derivative but it leans toward being a strawman. While it's a possibility it's more likely "they" discussed her flipping and then she later decided to do it.

Something had to cause her to wait and then go home with the husband who just minutes earlier had told her he wasn't interested in rekindling their marriage.

Think about it this way: If they didn't approach Shiv while they were looking for one Board member to flip at the last minute, what does that say about Mattson's strategy and the plot? Pretty damn foolish, right?

If you're going to argue Shiv had no contact with them or didn't listen to their offer, it seems to me you would also need an explanation for her behavior in waiting for and then going home with Tom when they weren't even living together at the time. Or maybe you just say yeah that didn't happen, there's no explanation needed for her behavior and you accept it's just another hole in the plot.

Tom never said he wasn't interested in getting back together. His answer was literally, "I don't know." 

Another thing - your theory is derived 100% from your imagination. Nothing in the actual text supports your theory. There is nothing to suggest your theory of what happened off screen is any more likely than - Shiv changed her mind and decided her best option was to bend the knee to Tom.

You cited The Sopranos earlier when arguing about stuff happening off screen. I assume you're referring to the ending. The thing with The Sopranos is David Chase left probably dozens of context clues telling the viewer what happened to Tony.

Think about it this way: If they didn't approach Shiv while they were looking for one Board member to flip at the last minute, what does that say about Mattson's strategy and the plot? Pretty damn foolish, right?

He inexplicably shopped for CEO's behind Shiv's back like 18 hours before the deal was done. Was that not foolish?  This point just doesn't land at all for me. Mattson just seemed to be making contrived choices to get the plot to the Tom ending anyway.

If Tom and Shiv had this all planned in advance, why does Tom approach Shiv and say, "I got a car in 20 if you want to join" during the post-vote changeover celebration? Why was the sequence of Tom getting in the car shot in a way that dramatically revealed Shiv was in car waiting for him? (HINT HINT! The filmmakers are trying to tell us something!)

It's flat out bizarre that you've convinced yourself this off-screen stuff happened with zero supporting evidence in the actual text, and not even a little a wink or anything between Tom and Shiv in that final shot to give us even the subtlest hint they had this coup planned.

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Midway through final season. I still hate Greg with the might of a thousand suns.  His voice. His punchable face. He’s the exact person I imagine sits in the surly CR all day 

Not an unpopular opinion. Greg without Tom is garbage. But them together? Magic.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

It's flat out bizarre that you've convinced yourself this off-screen stuff happened with zero supporting evidence in the actual text, and not even a little a wink or anything between Tom and Shiv in that final shot to give us even the subtlest hint they had this coup planned.

I was convinced Tom did lots of gay stuff off-screen.

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

You cited The Sopranos earlier when arguing about stuff happening off screen. I assume you're referring to the ending. The thing with The Sopranos is David Chase left probably dozens of context clues telling the viewer what happened to Tony.

First I've explicitly stated multiiple times just to correct people who lack reading comprehension skills such as yourself that nothing had to be 'planned in advance." Negging you just for that because jfc learn to read. I'm not looking to revisit this thread nor give further thought to this abortion of a series.

The David Chase comment was in regards to bread crumbs and misdirection that the creator left about the finale for like 10 years after its initial airing. Not whatever the fuck you're trying to cite it for.

Edit - some of you fucks in this thread must be total masochists. One asshole even chased me into another forum to @ me because he's so triggered about someone having a different opinion about the show.

Please... since my viewpoint is so wrong and invalid, I strongly encourage all y'all to stop @'ing about why your pov is so superior. Thank you in advance.

Edited by Chopper

13 hours ago, Chopper said:

First I've explicitly stated multiiple times just to correct people who lack reading comprehension skills such as yourself that nothing had to be 'planned in advance." Negging you just for that because jfc learn to read. I'm not looking to revisit this thread nor give further thought to this abortion of a series.

The David Chase comment was in regards to bread crumbs and misdirection that the creator left about the finale for like 10 years after its initial airing. Not whatever the fuck you're trying to cite it for.

Edit - some of you fucks in this thread must be total masochists. One asshole even chased me into another forum to @ me because he's so triggered about someone having a different opinion about the show.

Please... since my viewpoint is so wrong and invalid, I strongly encourage all y'all to stop @'ing about why your pov is so superior. Thank you in advance.

Jesus. I respond to your post in good faith just looking for some good natured debate and you sperg out about reading comprehension and neg me. lol. My bad - I didn't read all your posts that carefully, and didn't realize that in your imaginary off-screen converations, Shiv and Tom just had discussions that stopped short of solidifying a plan.

One thing I did catch re-reading your posts was this:

Why would Shiv wait for Tom to ride away with her, just minutes after she practically begged him to get back together and he rejected her?

Yeah, go back and re-watch that sequence.  You probably won't answer the questions I asked in my previous post, but you are 100% wrong here. Shiv wasn't waiting for Tom. The sequence very clearly communicates Shiv being presented with a choice and choosing to go with Tom. She was not waiting for him.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wish the defense was as stubborn as Choppah.

20 hours ago, BurgleBro said:

Dirty mouth Roman talking about jerking off to his sisters tits while she breastfeeds is hilarious but not very endearing lmao

Roman's degeneracy is what doomed him, obviously, but he was the only one of the siblings with the right amount of intelligence and ruthlessness to be a 'good' CEO.  It only hit him when he sees Gerri in the offices and realizes she was right, she could have put him in the CEO chair if only he wasn't an impotent dick-pic sending pervert.  

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Jesus. I respond to your post in good faith just looking for some good natured debate and you sperg out about reading comprehension and neg me. lol. My bad - I didn't read all your posts that carefully, and didn't realize that in your imaginary off-screen converations, Shiv and Tom just had discussions that stopped short of solidifying a plan.

Yeah I was looking for healthy debate as well, but it just led to me being accused of ruining this thread, having it follow me into entirely different forums, having to respond over and over to the same question and other thoughtless, rude (not yours!) questions or posts. IOW some bullshit went down long before you showed up. So, with candor, I don't want to spend additional energy thinking about the show especially now that it's been mercifully euthanized.

I hate-watched the final season, and had extra contempt for the finale and its gaping plot holes, and pathetic diversions and shortcuts. I didn't think a bit of very gentle critical analysis was a bad thing. But clearly a lot of surly succession fans didn't appreciate it.

While I do have thoughts to respond to your good faith comments, which I accept at your word, I think it's best I let go of this thread and once again request to not be @ by anyone in regards to succession discussion. I come to surly to laugh and for some good info. This thread, much like the series, is fucking up my chi.

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Got to the end finally. Shiv fucked em. Damnnnn I knew it lol

Yeah, just finished last night.  I liked the ending.  Kind of abrupt, which is what made it interesting.  Was building up and then "bam!", sold it was over.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/4/2023 at 3:10 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

Most people that work in management at large company have seen “Greg’s” during their career and amazed at how they fucking fail upward.  

• Rage+1 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had been slow-rolling the final season and just wrapped it up tonight.

The way I saw it, I wasn't and I don't think anyone should have been convinced that Tom was actually going to be the US CEO, only that Shiv most likely wasn't.  There's been too much fuckery along that line I think to neatly assume Tom wins, Shiv loses.   Shiv was certainly poised to lose, but not necessarily Tom to win.

And, while I think Shiv did resent Kendall, as suggested above, my final read was that she saw that the only way they'd put the family fuckery behind them was to divest.  And that might give her a route to repairing with Tom (a huge part of her fucked relationship with Tom was just an by-marriage variant of the same fuckery as with Kendall and Roman) and being a semi-normal mother with semi-normal relations with Kendall and Roman.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

just finished this.  Greg and Connor are the best…

also the look on Kendall’s face and the way he delivered the line “new money.  you gotta hold the fresh bills up to the light.”  so much other great shit.  mattson was a great character. 

what a show. 

• 2 weeks later...

We binged this over the past couple of months.  Great show.   A few thoughts:

1.  Glad I wasn't watching this in real time if Chopper's takes throughout the series were as bad as the last few pages.  Wow.  I didn't think it was possible for anyone to (i) completely misunderstand an episode and (ii) continue to double down on his horrible takes.   

2.  Tom didn't get any real power as he's clearly an empty suit but from Tom's perspective that's also kind of all he ever really wanted.  Just the title and perception of power means he won in his mind even if he's still a clear #2 (or really #3 behind Mattson's other right hand man).  Agreed with the poster that said Shiv sealed her own fate when she described Tom to Mattson and it's exactly what he was looking for.  Also, as another poster said, the title gives him the stepping stone to a true CEO role somewhere else in the future if that's what he wants.

3.  The ending with Shiv and Tom is interesting and don't really know what to make of it.  Because in the long run I don't think any chance that marriage will last.  Tom clearly mentally moved on from her over the course of this season.  Shiv couldn't stand the thought of her brother in that role but over time (probably in the very near term) she'll resent Tom and look at him the same way for being in a position that in her mind should be hers.  He's already dealing with Mattson controlling big picture decisions, no way he deals with her backseat driving from home.

4.   Kendal committing suicide was the obvious ending so kind of glad they didn't go that route.  Probably left the viewer 50/50 whether that's a near term outcome or he just does it indirectly via becoming an addict but odds of him getting past it and becoming successful and stable are virtually zero.

5.  Roman, with his moment of clarity that they are all a joke in the end, may be the only one that can take his billion and fuck off and enjoy life.\

6.  Liked the ending with Tom and Greg.  Even though it easily could have fucked him, Tom completely respected Greg's power play.  100% what he would have done in that position with that info.  He was pissed but proud.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Tom doesn't care about power. He cares about prestige. He hordes information and absorbs pain and contempt for the purposes of achieving prestige. It's the foundation of his personal insecurity. A CEO that actually does nothing is a perfect job for him. 

I bet his childhood dream was to grow up to be Vice President of the United States.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I actually had a different reaction to the Tom/Shiv scene. Her tepid reciprocation of affection was actually a sincere attempt to start the process of rebuilding something with Tom not out of desire but out of necessity. She had just shivved her brothers permanently and would have literally no one else. Because as independent as she made herself out to be the reality is that she is highly dependent and has been for her entire life. Logan merely enabled (or tolerated) her fantasy world in which she performatively rebelled against ATN and the ruling class, all from the comfort of her private jets and Park Avenue penthouse. In the end, she had a nothing but class solidarity with her family and was just as intoxicated with the game of thrones as Kendall was, except he never pretended to be above it.

How long would the marriage last? Who knows. I think when she decided to blow up the Roy dynasty, and when she realized Matsson had never intended to do anything but dangle the prospect of CEO in order to try to fuck her, she also realized she would be okay with giving motherhood an earnest chance. Which means giving Tom a chance to be a father, and maybe also means giving their marriage another chance. Like Kendall's ending, it's up for interpretation whether she will revert to her old ways and do something destructive.

But also, I doubt Matsson's offer to Tom was anything sincere. Even if it had been, there's no guarantee it would last. Greg of course lost that bag and will not get it back from Greenpeace, so if Tom was hoodwinked then he better dust off his mascot skills.

Roman's ending to me was kind of underwhelming. I'm guessing he'll be in for a lot of post-grieving and general Hunter Biden (no CR) debauchery. Without Logan's approval to constantly chase I got the impression he's going to redirect a lot of that energy to his mother. She might withhold approval for entirely different and way more British reasons, though. Probably not good TV if I'm being honest.

Connor is the realest winner if you think about it, and I think he played everything perfectly since the first episode. You're a failson with infinite money, so enjoy life. No addictions, no compulsions, just good clean fun like letting a hooker open a broadway show and running a vanity campaign.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 7/14/2023 at 7:57 AM, Skipper said:

We binged this over the past couple of months.  Great show.   A few thoughts:

1.  Glad I wasn't watching this in real time if Chopper's takes throughout the series were as bad as the last few pages.  Wow.  I didn't think it was possible for anyone to (i) completely misunderstand an episode and (ii) continue to double down on his horrible takes.   

2.  Tom didn't get any real power as he's clearly an empty suit but from Tom's perspective that's also kind of all he ever really wanted.  Just the title and perception of power means he won in his mind even if he's still a clear #2 (or really #3 behind Mattson's other right hand man).  Agreed with the poster that said Shiv sealed her own fate when she described Tom to Mattson and it's exactly what he was looking for.  Also, as another poster said, the title gives him the stepping stone to a true CEO role somewhere else in the future if that's what he wants.

3.  The ending with Shiv and Tom is interesting and don't really know what to make of it.  Because in the long run I don't think any chance that marriage will last.  Tom clearly mentally moved on from her over the course of this season.  Shiv couldn't stand the thought of her brother in that role but over time (probably in the very near term) she'll resent Tom and look at him the same way for being in a position that in her mind should be hers.  He's already dealing with Mattson controlling big picture decisions, no way he deals with her backseat driving from home.

4.   Kendal committing suicide was the obvious ending so kind of glad they didn't go that route.  Probably left the viewer 50/50 whether that's a near term outcome or he just does it indirectly via becoming an addict but odds of him getting past it and becoming successful and stable are virtually zero.

5.  Roman, with his moment of clarity that they are all a joke in the end, may be the only one that can take his billion and fuck off and enjoy life.\

6.  Liked the ending with Tom and Greg.  Even though it easily could have fucked him, Tom completely respected Greg's power play.  100% what he would have done in that position with that info.  He was pissed but proud.

Just binged as well.  Agree with most of this but I don’t like how Shiv shanked Kendall.  I did find myself rooting for him.  Idk

On 5/30/2023 at 8:34 AM, Celery Man said:

Didn't Kendall tell Tom it was Greg immediately?

Was there a single moment in this show where any kid was OK with another kid "winning" for longer than 15 seconds? Shiv did not work out a deal with Tom off screen, this is not a Michael Mann movie - regardless of if Shiv actually made best move for her in terms of machiavellian power dynamics or whatever she made the move because more than anything else she can't stand to see her brother win. Maybe she casts the vote if she didn't go last, but she can't be the deciding vote that gives her brother the throne and so she freaks out. Her brother can't recognize what is happening and talk her back through it long enough to get the vote out because he is a 7 year old whose daddy promised the crown so gimme gimme gimme. Literally fighting each other like children because that's what they are. And as noted, Roman the one kid with enough awareness to say what the show is demonstrating - they are nothing.

Yea there was no off screen side deal between Shiv and Tom.   But I think you can assume Kendall or Rome told Shiv it was Greg that was sourced

On 9/21/2023 at 8:45 AM, atomheartbevo said:

Rubert Murdoch steps down, turns everything over to Lachlan Murdoch.

Logan Roy starts trending, and then we get these gems

It’s funny Lachlan’s politics are probably more Roman than Kendall. But Lachlan is the number 1 boy. 

The Fox News expert said the day before the announcement that there was no way Lachlan’s siblings would allow him to succeed their father. Welp. 
image.thumb.png.3d447b768466e8a7e4e7fdd560bc3aff.png

On 9/17/2019 at 10:36 AM, Guest Lobo said:

Have there been any indications that I've missed over the last 1.5 seasons about the ages of the children?  There was an obvious reference to Logan turning 80, so we can assume he's about 81.  Connor is 63 in real life, but let's assume he's supposed to be about 55 on the show...Logan having him around 25 when he was just getting going which is reasonable.  Rest of the kids make sense, Kendall in late 30's, Roman in mid 30's, Shiv in early 30's.  Making the gap between his first and second marriages rather long.  And him being a slightly older father during the second brood.  Just curious as it mirrors and matches (and sometimes does neither) real life tycoon ballads.  

Show really went from a high production value summer stopgap to being the best show on television, IMO, rather quickly.  

Kids in opening intro shows that Connor and Kendall are maybe three years apart?

11 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Kids in opening intro shows that Connor and Kendall are maybe three years apart?

Yeah that always bothered me. Connor's really only Ken's half brother and we never knew much about Connor's mom besides the fact Logan had her committed before he moved on to meet Kendall's British mom. If Ken was turning 40 towards the end of the series when he threw a ridiculous birthday party then that means Ken would have been late 30's in the pilot episode, where Connor was visibly over 50. So whoever conceived the intro really fucked up the casting.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Yeah that always bothered me. Connor's really only Ken's half brother and we never knew much about Connor's mom besides the fact Logan had her committed before he moved on to meet Kendall's British mom. If Ken was turning 40 towards the end of the series when he threw a ridiculous birthday party then that means Ken would have been late 30's in the pilot episode, where Connor was visibly over 50. So whoever conceived the intro really fucked up the casting.

Exactly. Even if you want to say Connor is 48 it still doesn’t make sense not to mention the other kids

• 3 months later...

Tom wins the GG 👍 seems like the category was 80% Succession actors lol.

ETA and Culkin wins actor! which is awesome and i was rooting for him bc i thought he killed it the last season. 

EATA Sarah Snook wins... and they take best drama!

no quibble from me, fucking loved this show and was really sad when it ended. outstanding tv... i'll rewatch again in a couple years and enjoy again. 

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 2