Best Basslines Out There, Mofos

MaybeACoordinator

22 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I'm down with disco.  Danceable as hell.  Our band covers Stayin Alive.  It slays every time.

There were some great musicians playing disco.  Killer drummers.  Tasty bass lines.  Often entire orchestras of world-class string playing thoughtfully arranged parts.  

I understand that disco quickly became a caricature of itself, but it's weird to me that it only had a 4- or 5- year lifespan before becoming a punchline, and yet EDM (no human interaction, no groove, very little innovation) has gone on for decades.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

There were some great musicians playing disco.  Killer drummers.  Tasty bass lines.  Often entire orchestras of world-class string playing thoughtfully arranged parts.  

I understand that disco quickly became a caricature of itself, but it's weird to me that it only had a 4- or 5- year lifespan before becoming a punchline, and yet EDM (no human interaction, no groove, very little innovation) has gone on for decades.  

I've heard EDM described as "music for engineers" which is funny, because it's true.  The disco vibe/groove is still there in a lot of hip hop and R&B.  

6 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

I remember this being a pretty interesting interview that put disco in a different light - Jesse Thorn interviewing Nile Rodgers of Chic (and later a bunch of other stuff).

http://www.maximumfun.org/bullseye/bullseye-jesse-thorn-nile-rodgers-mark-frauenfelder

Heard this while listening to my itunes on shuffle. Definitely a fun, punchy bassline.

Also saw this interesting video while going deeper down the youtube rabbit trail. Pretty cool, especially for fellow guitar/bass nerds. This guy "The Bass Wizard" and his dumb hat are off-putting, but this is pretty neat. 

• 9 months later...
On 6/4/2018 at 4:14 PM, noharleyyet said:

I'll just put this there....

How much would it cost me to have her marry me? What a talent unbeelievable. I used to think basis we're just a half a step above drummers, which I am a drummer at heart but damn I'm gaining a whole new respect here. Carry on gentleman well freaking done

My favorite Floyd song, think of it often, along with the album as a whole, the more jaded I get working in the business world. They have stated they regret Harper singing it but I think A) Roger would have butchered it given his lack of range and B) it just further reinforces the message of the song that a non-member is singing the ironic line of ‘which ones Pink’ while the executive gushes over their commercial potential.

For Roger bass lines though I’m very partial to this:

• 6 months later...