Solo: A Star Wars Story

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

I'm enjoying the segment of the fan base that wants people to boycott the first weekend but not boycott the entire thing. So you'll succeed in making it have a lower opening total but it will have a less bad week 2 drop off. That'll show Kathleen! Just stop watching the shit if it bothers you so much because Disney, Kathleen Kennedy, Rian Johnson, etc. are going nowhere.  

is that what they're trying to do?  do they realize it'll have the opposite effect?  big opening weekends and then 50%+ dropoff means the marketing dept did their job and the movie is shitty.  big 2nd/3rd/4th weekends means the movie is good and the word of mouth is helping.

they should be telling everyone to do the opposite or not see it at all.

4 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

That's exactly what it is but I think he makes a lot of good points.  

I'm a guy who on a few additional viewings has decided TLJ may be on the edge of a late second trimester coat hanger abortion but I got through almost half of that video because after watching that guy make the SAME point 3 times and act like he was making different points I KNEW that video was

4 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Exactly.

This all feels like an extended rant of pissed off fanboys who didn't like TLJ because it wasn't the movie that THEY would have made.

As far as I recall everyone (for the most part) really liked TFA and Rogue One.  Now all of a sudden there's this huge Star Wars crisis because fanboys didn't like TLJ and they've decided they hate Solo before they even see it?

For fuck's sake. STFU whiny fanboys.

I like Star Wars but don’t love it. I’m in the camp that had no idea there were stories beyond the movies. Going to wait for Netflix on this one. Rogue One was the only enjoyable movie of the current crop. TFA was recycled crap. TLJ was certified shit. SW has become a cash cow where the enjoyability of the films is far down on the list because it prints $$$ with the franchise designation. It’s not because fanbois have written better stories of fan fiction. It’s because the storylines are truly shitty but feature familiar childhood charectars us late 30’s - 40’s guys can relate to.

• Like 1

Agreed. Very entertaining. It was a fun heist movie with good fan service and a cool aspect of seeing the seedy underbelly of the SW universe. I thought Alden did a good job. It wasn't OT or Rogue One but it was enjoyable. 

So Darth Maul being back is now movie canon. He was already a part of Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels cartoons.

I'm not gonna lie but I loved it.

I had 0 interest and scored some tickets last second but it was enjoyable. Lots of action nothing forced like TLJ. The guy who played Han pulled it off. Lando was Lando alright. Chewie awesome as always.

And of course the cool reveal...woooo!

I'll give it 4/5.

Loved it. Probably a few too many OT nods than we’re necessary, but I get fanbois need them to be happy.  Really enjoyed all the characters - they were all pretty well developed (and acted).  I admit the first 20% of the movie was off in pacing, clarity, and even sound but it recovered very well. 

I think the pleasant surprise of the movie for me was emelia clarke.  

22 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

This all feels like an extended rant of pissed off fanboys who didn't like TLJ because it wasn't the movie that THEY would have made.

I didn't like TLJ because at the end of the day, it was a pretty fucking lousy movie.

• Like 1

He was 100% better than what I was expecting. 

Post-Lucas rankings:

1) TFA

2) Solo

3) Rogue One

4) TLJ

And really you could shuffle 1-3  in any order and I wouldn't argue. Still waiting for a new Star Wars movie that is better than mediocre. 

I enjoyed it.  It was solid but going in with adjusted or lowered expectations certainly helped out a lot.  It was enjoyable but it's not going to make anyone forget about Empire.  Overall, I think Alden gave it a real shot and was best during heavier action moments.  He doesn't have the presence of Ford and struggled a little with the more dramatic notes, but he didn't embarrass himself.  Liked the other members of the cast.  Glover picked up Lando's flair.  Woody was good as a weathered criminal and Bettany served well as the heavy gangster.  They wasted Newton and Favreau, IMO.  I actually enjoyed Favreau's character quite a bit.  As usual, Chewie tends to steal a lot of scenes and he was very good....

Interestingly, this movie is disappointing some at the box office.  Tracking less than expectations by about 25-30 million for the weekend.  I would venture this is the fallout from TLJ.  Some experts and fans argued TLJ enjoyed box office success and would have no impact on future installments, but I was pretty shocked to be at a theater on opening night on Memorial Day Weekend for a Star Wars movie and it being about 80% full.  The end of my rows were empty.  Wow.  Unfairly, with TLJ's audience scores and some of the leaked problems with this movie, it seemed some folks decided to stay home and wait on word of mouth or wait until out on PPV.  Also seems obvious that Marvel is the much bigger movie brand for Disney..... Not sure folks would have guessed that after TFA.

http://ew.com/movies/2018/05/26/solo-a-star-wars-story-box-office-friday/

Spoiler

Loved the cameo at the end of the movie.  Finally giving credibility to Fiolini's storytelling contributions in the animated versions and bringing back one of the most criminally underused characters in the SW universe, although admittedly a little confused on the time line. 

Waaaay better than expectations. This movie gives you a good feeling of what they can do with non-canon stories in the SW universe. They easily set the stage for 3 other unrelated movies.

Lots of subtle fan service. One that I didn’t catch at first was they “correct” what everyone thought was an error in that a parsec measures distance and not time. But since the key to Kessel run was finding a shorter path, it was about distance.

On 5/24/2018 at 6:13 PM, henrygandorf said:

is that what they're trying to do?  do they realize it'll have the opposite effect?  big opening weekends and then 50%+ dropoff means the marketing dept did their job and the movie is shitty.  big 2nd/3rd/4th weekends means the movie is good and the word of mouth is helping.

they should be telling everyone to do the opposite or not see it at all.

And, they’d have to wait a couple additional weeks for the split to go more in favor of the theaters, right?  So no monetary difference at all for waiting one week?

The fuck did I just watch. 

What a jumbled mess. I wasn't bored, well a little, but it was all over the place. They had to take the thing to the thing which is what I guess the plot was about. The movie kept throwing out new shit out of nowhere. Then the children of the corn showed up and the movie took another left turn. wtf

About the only time I cheered was when that annoying robot got her shit blown up. 

This was the absolute perfect movie for the fans who want change:

1) It was much better than expected. (I liked all the characters but I still don't know if this gives Emilia Clarke a post-GoT career.)

2) It will tank just hard enough that it could see the end of Kathleen Kennedy because while better than thought, it's not close to the $1 billion movie they needed it to be.

Better than the stupid shit we saw at christmas.  Wasn't blown away, but definitely better than what I expected.  Liked the throwback music during the falcon dramatic flights.  

No artoo and C3P0?  Isn't that a first?

Kid did a decent job pulling off Han.  I would have been the better choice by far, problem is I look more like Han ROTJ than 10 years prior to SW so it wasn't in the cards for me.

Spoiler

Was the dude at the end supposed to be Darth Maul?  I don't watch the animated shit.  Is Kira in them as well?

Saw it last night. I thought it was pretty good. Much better than ROTJ, but way short of TFA and Rogue One. Though Chewy and Woody Harrelson were the best parts of the movie. Like someone else said. I was shocked at the capacity of the theater. It was about 60% full for a 7pm showing.

Waaaay better than expectations. This movie gives you a good feeling of what they can do with non-canon stories in the SW universe. They easily set the stage for 3 other unrelated movies.

Lots of subtle fan service. One that I didn’t catch at first was they “correct” what everyone thought was an error in that a parsec measures distance and not time. But since the key to Kessel run was finding a shorter path, it was about distance.

Not if you round down.

2 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

I think you’re confused. We thought you said Solo is much better than the movie Return of the Jedi, but not as good as The Force Awakens and Rogue One.

I meant Last Jedi, but Solo may also be better than Return. Fuckin Ewoks, man

My son is in town for the week so I bit the bullet. Much better than I expected. Didn’t love it, but it’s TBS rotation worthy. Takes a while to get going and extremely predictable. I’m the opposite of most. Though Lando was great but didn’t care for Han. Good popcorn flick.