Solo: A Star Wars Story

Chewy's Hairy Horn

We saw it in a 1/3 full theater.

Wife was very meh about it. She didn’t like the guy playing Han and didn’t like that there wasn’t a bad force guy. Her words.

I liked it a lot. I thought he got a lot right with Han being cocky for no real reason, his movements, his always think positive thoughts, his “welp I tried” demeanor.

Liked Lando, the heist movie theme.

And I liked that they told a story in the Star Wars universe that didn’t rely on some hokey old religion.

Wow..... this bombed.  Yes, it's all relative but it went from 130-150 million estimates to hoping to scrape 100 million for the holiday weekend.  It was a non-factor in China (Chinese don't really like SW) and did about 60% of what they were hoping globally.  This is probably going to be one of those movies that does poorly enough where the studio makes changes.  No idea what they may be but some responsibilities get shifted around.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/box-office-solo-a-star-wars-story-struggles-hit-100m-us-crashes-overseas-1114854

I am going to see tomorrow, looks like its entertaining enough based on comments here.  I don't mind that it seems the franchise may be taking in a correction due to the bloody mess of a late second trimester coat hanger abortion they delivered in December

Didn’t like Han at first because of his voice but he grew on me. By the end of the movie, I could see Han a little. He has the swagger down.

Yup - and that was the point of the movie. He’s just a street smart broke kid trying to get off of Corellia at first, and the experiences lay the groundwork for him becoming the Han Solo we are introduced to in Ep 4.

6 hours ago, The Dog said:

Yup - and that was the point of the movie. He’s just a street smart broke kid trying to get off of Corellia at first, and the experiences lay the groundwork for him becoming the Han Solo we are introduced to in Ep 4.

Agree with this. My wife said he has no story, that even Harrison Ford felt that. She got pissed when I told her that not every hero has to have some incredible Force story in this universe. He was an antihero because he has always been trying to watch for himself first but he’s a good guy so he has to help others...

and honestly the ending with Becket was perfect. I even leaned in and whispered to my wife just shoot him!

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

I enjoyed it. I wanted to know more of Qi’ra’s backstory, but that was minor.

The movie delivers on what it was intended to IMHO.

unless Vos or Maul had reason to be on Corellia, I’m assuming she got on a spaceport and joined Crimson Dawn. Looks like she learned Teras Kasi from Maul and sent out into the field as Vos’ LT. Perhaps she found a new stream of coaxium on her home planet? 

Is Wookiepedia considered canon? That says Proxima got her pulling the same stunt and Vos white knighted her.

Edited by TheStoicPaisano

11 hours ago, mdmost said:

This is the point where someone is overthinking a Star Wars film.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/05/25/lets-talk-about-solos-darkest-most-disturbing-twist

Jesus.  Reading that made me seasick.  I wonder what it is like to be unable to enjoy a movie because you're too busy looking for OPPRESSION like this person.  

Thought it pretty decent. Didn't care for Glover's Lando voice. Like he just watched a couple colt 45 commercials and decided to wing it.

Saw it last night and had the same thought. I will say I intentionally avoided this thread and anything about this movies before going in. About halfway through I saw Clint Howard and was like WTF is this a Ron Howard flick? Had no idea. Overall pretty enjoyable. Thought the soundtrack was great and use of music in the scenes was great. Was confused about Darth Maul too, considering we heard some “duel of fates” during the scene.

Just for the maul confused.

Star Wars the clone wars (animated) kept Maul alive. His hatred kept him alive. His brother savage oppress helps him regain a quiet power.

His main mission in life is to kill Sith and Jedi but really he wants to kill Obi won.

Star Wars Rebels, continues his story and he meets Obi Won.

Saw it this morning.  Nice popcorn flick of a heist movie, certainly not earth shattering but didn't really need to be.   The kid did about as good a job as you can do pulling off the impossible of trying to fill Ford's shoes.  

I'm not sure what the complaints about the Glover Lando voice are over...he must have hit it pretty close to the mark to get you all riled up.

Pretty sure the word "force" wasn't used once and that's why TLJ as I said in that thread is so off the rails.  THESE films are the ones you use to go in different directions, throw away the past, explore new things....trying to do that 8/9ths of the way through the core story that everything splits off of was just so so stupid.  

Woody Boyd to me just doesn't fit in the fantasy type films.  I have a hard time seeing him as anything other than Billy Hoyle or Monix.  He's too affable.  Planet of the Apes was the same way for me.

He’s also done turns in little roles like Mickey Knox, Larry Flynt and the Sherrif in Three Billboards. None of them exactly lightweight affable roles.

Opinions and assholes though I guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

He’s also done turns in little roles like Mickey Knox, Larry Flynt and the Sherrif in Three Billboards. None of them exactly lightweight affable roles.

Opinions and assholes though I guess.

I thought Larry Flynt was a real dude?

9 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

So wait...how did Maul get his legs back? Or was this before that movie?

(From several episodes of Clone Wars) Darth Maul survived his being cut in half somehow based on his hate and the power of the dark side. His brother found him on some trash dump planet wherever they took the garbage from the Naboo incinerator. These witch ladies gave him back badass cybernetic legs. By that time though, he had long been replaced by Dooku as Sideous's apprentice. He engaged in a number of schemes to draw out both Obi Wan and the Sith. He was ultimately defeated and his brother was killed in a fight with Darth Sideous. 

His appearance in this movie is after that point in the timeline. Closer to the events of Star Wars (from the recent Rebels show), Maul encountered two young jedi and manipulated their situation to draw out Vader. At some point Maul realized he was no match for Vader one-on-one, but they never dueled on screen. He also used information he obtained with those jedi to locate Obi Wan Kenobi for their final confrontation, which likely happened only a few months before R2D2 and C3PO came to Tatooine and Luke.

• Like 1

I think Solo set up 3 movies that I'd like to see...
1. Solo working for Jabba
2. Qi'ra and Darth Maul
3. The Lost Boys, or whatever the fuck they were called, planting the seeds of the Rebellion

On 3: the animated Star Wars Rebels basically covered that. The rebellion was a bunch of little outfits fighting for single systems holding onto to hope that they could push back the empire, they were failing on the larger scale up to complete destruction at the hands of Thrawn and Tarkin while Vader used his inquisitors to hunt down the remaining Jedi and Palpatine continued to search for ultimate power and immortality.

It wasn't terrible, but from my point of view was a pretty flat and perfunctory flick, whose main purpose seemed to just string a plot together to explain all the Solo 'quirks' and backstories from the original series. Some of it was pretty tiring, and felt like I was being hit over the head with the symbolism - did you see the dice? See them now? Again? Did you see her hand him the dice? Sheesh. 

The second part of the move finally felt like it was coming together, both with plot and with the charisma between the characters. Alden's line reading was just very flat for the most part, and it seemed like there were a lot of interesting stories left unexplored. 

Living up to Harrison Ford's Solo is hard, no doubt. And frankly, part of his character's appeal was always that we didn't really know him or his motivations. It's perhaps hard for him to carry as the star of the show, particularly with the safe, brand-protecting story from Kasdan.

I had thought that Lord and Miller had been booted off mid-shooting, but have since been told by a friend in the business that they didn't survive the first week of shooting. Makes you wonder what it was they were going for which was so far removed from the vision of Kasdan and Kennedy.

Liked

Retro music (Asteroid Field from ESB)

Dialogue - wasn’t as cheesy as I expected

The reveal/final third of the movie

Didn’t Like

Space Octopus

SJW robot - I swear I kept thinking it was Joan Rivers from Spaceballs.  And the stupid robot love thing...

Qi’ra - just kind of smiled for 90 mins

• Like 2

Seems to me that there are two camps 

if you’re really into Star Wars universe, watch the animated series, etc, you didn’t like this movie as much 

if you like Star Wars growing up but don’t know shit beyond the movies, you thought this was a good entertaining movie. 

if you’re really into Star Wars universe, watch the animated series, etc, you didn’t like this movie as much 
if you like Star Wars growing up but don’t know shit beyond the movies, you thought this was a good entertaining movie. 

That has been the trend and yet for some reason I’m a Star Wars nerd that watches and reads most anything Star Wars but I really liked this move a lot.

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I don't think that applies at all.... most folks here that I know who were into the animated series enjoyed this movie.  Are you thinking of The Last Jedi?

Edited by Patrick Bateman

I think if you watched those, you're more likely to like Solo because it has direct correlations and call backs to those shows. This is the first Disney movie to seem to tie the series together and have some sense of direction they're heading in. Pablo Hidalgo and Dave Filoni had to have a big hand in the creative process for this one. There are lots of easter eggs dropped in this movie. Dryden's room had stuff from Han Solo books from the late 70s (the giant glass skull for instance). There were lots of EU easter eggs like Qira's martial arts training and Lando's video diary referencing Lando book adventures. 

Edited by mdmost

48 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

i think it was a rubbish as a standalone movie, and im not a SW person.  the SW connection was the thread that held it together (anticipating the first meeting with chewie; relating the kessel run; actually giving a damn about the rebellion; etc)

• Like 1

They're hoping it will force Kathleen Kennedy to be fired because she let Rian Johnson ruin their adult childhoods. Some are angry over Luke's role in TLJ. Some are angry that the Expanded Universe was wiped away when Disney bought Lucasfilm. Some are angry because they think she's pushing SJW-ish agendas with the new movies. 

Edited by mdmost

They're hoping it will force Kathleen Kennedy to be fired because she let Rian Johnson ruin their adult childhoods. Some are angry over Luke's role in TLJ. Some are angry that the Expanded Universe was wiped away when Disney bought Lucasfilm. Some are angry because they think she's pushing SJW-ish agendas with the new movies. 

And some of them are just angry that they’re still virgins.

I watched A New Hope last night for the - gosh, I don’t know how may times. I saw it for the first time in New York, off of Time Square, right after it was released in ‘77. It totally blew me away. It was straight forward, pretty simple story to understand what was going on, it felt new, exciting and different. It was just a fun and well made summer movie. George Lucas was on the top of his game. He hit it out of the park. Over time I bought the vhs, dvd and blu Ray versions. 

i don’t know what’s going on with these reboots and back stories, but I just feel like they’ve lost their focus of the original vision, except maybe the James Abrams reboot. They’re complicated, very dark, and, with Solo, just not that much fun. I was most disappointed that it was written by Lawrence Kasden. I thought if anyone, (because of his long time connection to SW from the beginning), could keep it from going off rail too far and also keep some of the original excitement in it, he would. To me, Solo just never felt like it was Han’s back story. I didn’t feel like this person was the same person that Ford was in New Hope. When it was over, I just sat there, and went, um. OK.