Solo: A Star Wars Story

Would SW ever follow Marvel and go R? I’d be intrigued by an R rated Fett or Vader film.

Dammit they should have just made 7/8/9 the Thrawn trilogy like everyone wanted.

Btw that Rebels clip of Vader above does nothing for me. Juxtapose it against the Vader scene from Rogue One. Not even in the same hemisphere.

Not under Disney, I'd imagine.

And then there's this:

'Multiple films' still in 'Star Wars' pipeline, sources say

• By CLAYTON SANDELL
  • via GMA
Jun 21, 2018, 3:03 PM ET
  •  
  •  
  •  
Lucasfilm/AP
COMING UP'Star Wars' movie openings through the years

Hold up, "Star Wars" fans.

Reports of the death of future standalone films from that galaxy far, far away (like "Solo," "Rogue One" and a rumored -- but never-announced -- Obi-Wan Kenobi project) appear to be premature, and speculative at best.

PHOTO: Felicity Jones in a scene from Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.LucasFilm Ltd.
Felicity Jones in a scene from "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story."

Lucasfilm sources on Thursday characterized as "inaccurate" a report that future "Star Wars" movies falling outside of the regular trilogy storyline (Episodes I to IX) have been put on hold in the wake of the box office under-performance of "Solo: A Star Wars Story."

Instead, Lucasfilm told ABC News there are still "multiple" Star Wars films currently in development that have not been officially announced. Those projects are moving forward separate from an already-announced "Star Wars" trilogy being overseen by "The Last Jedi" director Rian Johnson and another series of movies from "Game of Thrones" producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

"Star Wars: Episode IX" starring Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, and Oscar Isaac is set to hit theaters in December 2019.

The film is being directed by J.J. Abrams, who also helmed "The Force Awakens" in 2015.

PHOTO: Daisy Ridley, left, as Rey, and John Boyega, as Finn, in a scene from Star Wars: The Force Awakens.LucasFilm Ltd.
Daisy Ridley, left, as Rey, and John Boyega, as Finn, in a scene from 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens.'

Lucasfilm is not yet talking publicly about the subject of any unannounced "Star Wars" films or their expected release dates. Fans will just have to wait and see.

"Always in motion is the future," as Yoda says.

ABC News and Lucasfilm are both part of parent company Disney.

James Earl Jones is getting up there in age. He's done all the recent Vader voice overs outside of video games. Plus, straight villain movies don't happen, do they? I mean at least with Boba he's the anti-hero, like Logan/Wolverine. 

Supposedly, the movie that was shelved was something related to the Mos Eisley Spaceport, so maybe Solo 2. Obi Wan and Boba Fett are still in the pipeline...supposedly. 

On 6/20/2018 at 9:20 PM, Buzzrock said:

Would SW ever follow Marvel and go R? I’d be intrigued by an R rated Fett or Vader film.

Dammit they should have just made 7/8/9 the Thrawn trilogy like everyone wanted.

Btw that Rebels clip of Vader above does nothing for me. Juxtapose it against the Vader scene from Rogue One. Not even in the same hemisphere.

Well before the anthology films were (allegedly) put on hold, wasn't the guy who directed Logan set to direct the Boba Fett film?  So even if they didn't go R (which I don't think they would do) they might go "hard" PG-13 or something.

EDIT - just saw that story.  Of course they are still making these films.  Because even if Internet fanboys hated TLJ, it was still a critical success and still made a a shit ton of money.  Solo won't be as big as Rogue One but will still make a TON of money worldwide.  J.J. Abrams will make a fan-friendly/crowd-pleasing/safe Episode 9 that will make a shit ton of money. 

That's really all that matters, in terms of them continuing to make these films.

Edited by oSuJeff97
More shit

The only thing that really bugged me about this movie was Han giving up the space fuel for nothing and without a fight. I didn't see any reason for him to give it all away for a rebel effort that was in its infancy and wasn't well known. His character seems like the type that would try to pull a bait and switch to steal it all, or at least negotiate to keep some of it. He just kind of rolled over and was like "sure, take the stuff worth millions of space bucks, you need it more than me." Maybe it's a setup for another plot twist in a future film that makes him more jaded, but in this film it wasn't very Han-like.

4 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Well before the anthology films were (allegedly) put on hold, wasn't the guy who directed Logan set to direct the Boba Fett film?  So even if they didn't go R (which I don't think they would do) they might go "hard" PG-13 or something.

EDIT - just saw that story.  Of course they are still making these films.  Because even if Internet fanboys hated TLJ, it was still a critical success and still made a a shit ton of money.  Solo won't be as big as Rogue One but will still make a TON of money worldwide.  J.J. Abrams will make a fan-friendly/crowd-pleasing/safe Episode 9 that will make a shit ton of money. 

That's really all that matters, in terms of them continuing to make these films.

James Mangold was looking to do a Boba Fett movie.  

Solo will lose a ton of money, not make it.  It may take in revenue but it's almost done with less than 375 million.

9 will make money because everyone wants to see how it all wraps up.

I saw Johnson trolled the fanboys trying to remake TLJ..... that is pretty funny.

Made me laugh....

28 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

The only thing that really bugged me about this movie was Han giving up the space fuel for nothing and without a fight. I didn't see any reason for him to give it all away for a rebel effort that was in its infancy and wasn't well known. His character seems like the type that would try to pull a bait and switch to steal it all, or at least negotiate to keep some of it. He just kind of rolled over and was like "sure, take the stuff worth millions of space bucks, you need it more than me." Maybe it's a setup for another plot twist in a future film that makes him more jaded, but in this film it wasn't very Han-like.

i think it's because he hasn't had the optimism beaten out of him. remember, he says "i have a really good feeling about this"

Sad from a business point of view that Solo was a better movie than TLJ, but TLJ was a main movie in the series and raked cash, while fanboy boycott and casual fan apathy made Solo a financial failure. The KK’s of the world probably interpret this data to mean they need Rian Johnson to direct all future standalone movies and work in chubby girls with nonsensical lines. 

On 6/21/2018 at 4:20 PM, Red Five said:

What’s keeping them from making a Vader movie? That would make all of the money. Some of these ideas (Boba Fett) would be a disaster.

The Boba movie would be led by a non white actor which is their agenda.  They want to do it for that reason alone at least.  The guy who played him in Clones is 31 now, I wonder if he'll get a shot.  

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0517535/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t23

On 6/22/2018 at 3:53 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

James Mangold was looking to do a Boba Fett movie.  

Solo will lose a ton of money, not make it.  It may take in revenue but it's almost done with less than 375 million.

9 will make money because everyone wants to see how it all wraps up.

I saw Johnson trolled the fanboys trying to remake TLJ..... that is pretty funny.

Made me laugh....

How is Solo going to "lose money" when it cost (reportedly) $275 million to make and it has already grossed $353 million worldwide (and counting)?

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

Production plus marketing costs were supposedly over $400 million.

Well I'd be interested to know how the studios calculate return on a film. I'm wondering if marketing is considered like a shared studio expense or if it is considered direct assigned to a film because it's not like they have a separate marketing department for each film... 

Also I wonder how how marketing costs are split between the studios and the production companies... (I know in this case Disney owns Lucasfilm, but still curious how that works)

Even that aside, I bet they eventually top $400mm in worldwide gross. There's a big world out there outside of North America. 

7 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

How is Solo going to "lose money" when it cost (reportedly) $275 million to make and it has already grossed $353 million worldwide (and counting)?

Advertising/marketing for big budget, tent pole movies typically average between 150-250 million.  Nobody knows the production costs because Disney doesn't want the embarrassment but the low end has it around 250 million because of reshoots and re-editing.  High ends have been rumored at almost 400 million.  Those definitely feel inflated but say it we go with the lower end of 275 million to production costs and 175 million in advertising.  It's 450 million and it won't come in over 375ish.

To put in perspective..... a bad repetitive movies about dinosaurs just doubled it up.... in one fucking weekend.  And also, you don't slow your role with future installments of these kind of movies because it was ultra successful.  It's a business and creative altering disaster, which is a bummer, because it wasn't of it's own making entirely.  It wasn't a great movie but it probably deserved a little better.  

EDIT:  It also has the distinction of being the worst grossing movie in SW history.  That's not even inflation adjusted.  Ouch.  Inflation adjusted it's 11th coming in behind Star Wars and Star Wars, special edition.  

Edited by Patrick Bateman

7 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

because the neckbeards believe that by wishing it to fail, it will do so

8 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Here is how that studio income on movies generally works: The studio(if they have both production and distribution rights) take in about 60% of income the first month a movie is out which comes down by roughly 5% each month after that it stays in theaters. This % is lower outside of na and even lower in places like China. A blockbuster will also usually spend roughly 60-70% of its production cost on marketing. So Disney likely spent roughly $400m total on Solo at least. Then after a movie comes out of theaters a major movie will make another $100-150m for the studio via streaming, disk sales and rentals. So when it comes to Solo the break even point in terms of box office is prob somewhere in the $600-700m range. If it only makes $500m then Disney is taking a beating on it which is why I've heard they're on the verge of firing everyone who oversees their sw properties and putting everything on hold other than ep 9. On ep 8 for instance their bottom line profit wasn't close to the $1.3b it made in theaters. It would be more like $400m if that.

Edited by Surlybastard

Disney only get 50-60% of the gross ticket sales, the theater generally gets the rest. So it needed to make about 1 billion to cover costs alone, and the further merchandise, DVD  and toy sales would be where they make a profit. It's not likely to make a profit at this point. Same thing happened to Justice League, spent a bunch to make and market a movie, but fell well short of covering those costs. 

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

How was Darth Mail in this movie? He died when Vader was a little kid, and Han is friends with Vader’s kid.  

Spoiler

They brought him back in the cartoons with metal spider legs and then eventually regular robot legs.  He's gone mad and is consumed about getting his revenge on Kenobi.  Then Kenobi does him the favor of cutting him down on Tatooine. 

He actually was one of the best part of the 'toons, but shoehorning him into this movie was dumb as fuck. 

10 hours ago, SpiralOut said:
  Reveal hidden contents

They brought him back in the cartoons with metal spider legs and then eventually regular robot legs.  He's gone mad and is consumed about getting his revenge on Kenobi.  Then Kenobi does him the favor of cutting him down on Tatooine. 

He actually was one of the best part of the 'toons, but shoehorning him into this movie was dumb as fuck. 

I get assuming I have some knowledge coming in to fill in background gaps in the story, but I feel there is a real difference between that and assuming I’ve been watching ducking cartoons otherwise the plot is literally impossible. 

5 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I get assuming I have some knowledge coming in to fill in background gaps in the story, but I feel there is a real difference between that and assuming I’ve been watching ducking cartoons otherwise the plot is literally impossible. 

Yeah, I really hate this new(ish) thing movie studios have been doing, especially Disney. 

Their movie makes no fucking sense because you need to read a book, or a comic, or some other supplemental material.  With stuff like C-3PO's red arm it doesn't really affect the movie too much, but when you're tossing major characters like Maul back in and shit it just gets ridiculous.

^^^ This.

You can complain about Maul being brought back outside of the films, but yeah honestly the best Star Wars stories being told right now are the animated series.  Clone Wars was good.  Rebels was fucking great.  And yeah the Maul conclusion with Obi Wan was among the best Star Wars moments in any genre.

If you are a Star Wars fan and you aren't watching the animated series, you're missing out.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2018 at 9:51 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

Maul’s scene was my favorite because now there is no denying that the cartoons are canon. The storylines in Clone Wars and Rebels are great, and it would be tragic to say they never happened by those who only watch movies. 

I don't believe there's ever been any doubt about whether or not they are canon.

Once Disney took over, they scrapped the old "Expanded Universe" and made an announcement about what was canon.  That included Clone Wars, Rebels and other everything else they created going forward.

Plus don't forget that there were several Rebels references/Easter eggs in Rogue One: Chopper was seen at Yavin 4, the Ghost was shown in the battle above Scarif and there was also a P.A. announcement at Yavin 4 asking for "General (Hera) Sendulla" to report to the HQ (or something like that).

On 6/24/2018 at 9:21 PM, Michael Knight said:

star wars is a big galaxy, lets see some new characters

This.

Even more for the Star Trek franchise. There were so many other ships and captains they could have explored with brand new characters related to Trek. Their thinking is just so lazy, lather, rinse, repeat.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:35 PM, DougO said:

This.

Even more for the Star Trek franchise. There were so many other ships and captains they could have explored with brand new characters related to Trek. Their thinking is just so lazy, lather, rinse, repeat.

If you can, check out the Short Treks on CBS.  Both are pretty good, but 1 has absolutely nothing to do with any established character, and has a great actor well known around these parts for his FNL character.

• 2 months later...
Finally watched this on Netflix. First SW movie I didn’t see in theatres, and it’s probay better than at least 4 of the non OTs. I regret not seeing it in theatres now, but was just bummed/burned out after last Jedi. 

I liked it a lot.

My wife did not in the theater. We watched it again later and she liked it much more the second go round. I think she just had to get over him not being Harrison ford

• 1 month later...

finally saw it a couple weeks ago and, having not watched any of the cartoons, darth maul felt like a toss-in at the end, and i was very confused as to why he'd be trying to steal the empire's shit. 

also, if you're a giant space octopus that's been orbiting a black hole for who knows how long, you'd think you'd know better than to go anywhere near it while chasing food.

Edited by elfenix

finally saw it a couple weeks ago and, having not watched any of the cartoons, darth maul felt like a toss-in at the end, and i was very confused as to why he'd be trying to steal the empire's shit. 

also, if you're a giant space octopus that's been orbiting a black hole for who knows how long, you'd think you'd know better than to go anywhere near it while chasing food.

One of the greatest saves was the clone wars keeping Maul alive.

The short form is he is pissed at everyone. Pure hate for the Emperor and Obi Wan! His hatred kept him alive and drives him for revenge.

2 great clips (someone can non-tapa fix them for me)

And DO NOT PLAY THIS IS YOU ARE WATCHING REBELS. It is the Maul end-game.

• Like 1

Yeah Clone Wars and Rebels(heck the first clip is from probably best non movie storyline they had...Twilight of the Apprentice was a amazing) really have some good shit outside the movies that can even affect the movies.

And Resistance is closing in after last night's episode.  Resistance took the Rebels route of starting off very light hearted and getting a bit deep by the end of the first season.

Edited by Drew

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Yeah Clone Wars and Rebels(heck the first clip is from probably best non movie storyline they had...Twilight of the Apprentice was a amazing) really have some good shit outside the movies that can even affect the movies.

And Resistance is closing in after last night's episode.  Resistance took the Rebels route of starting off very light hearted and getting a bit deep by the end of the first season.

Oooh... I need to check that out. Didn't realize the series had begun already.