Recommend me some tires

Wife's SUV needs new tires here pretty soon. I have always stuck to Michelin or (sometimes) Contis. Any reason to go away from those brands? Anyone have a model they really like? She's a SAHM so there won't be any offroading, snow driving, mountain climbing, etc. Just tooling around the suburbs going to kid shit. The quieter, smoother, the better. Car currently has some Michelin Latitudes on it that came with the car from the factory, but they are louder than other Michelins I've had in the past.

Also no pics, TIA

our odyssey came with either michelin premier or latitude tires but i didn't like them either.  they were loud.  we switched to michelin primacy tires and love them.  if you're looking to go cheaper, general altimax tires get really good reviews.  we're trying a set on the accord (had em for a year) and i love them.  but i don't plan on using them on our odyssey, can't really find a compelling reason even at 1/3 of the cost.

Bought my tires from TiresRack .com. They carry everything. You just have to chose a local shop to do the install and they have several local businesses that you can choose from. All in all I saved about $100 doing it this way than going to Discount Tire which I have also done. I also did some research at Consumer Research and found a Korean Brand tire that was a top 3 rated Best Buy  for dirt cheep price.

I did an extensive web search for tires. Different models of different brands rate differently. That’s why it’s important to look up specific sizes and models. I ended up with Michelin AS3 for my Lexus and they are outstanding. However there were a few Michelin models that didn’t rate well. Also, it goes without saying that you should understand all of the tire codes so that you can compare models appropriately. I bought from Costco and that was the cheapest with Discount Tire not far behind.

12 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Also, it goes without saying that you should understand all of the tire codes so that you can compare models appropriately. I bought from Costco and that was the cheapest with Discount Tire not far behind.

Maybe someone can chime in on this to confirm or deny. The Michelin tires you buy from Sam's and Costco are not the same quality you get from Discount Tire. Look to see if the Michelin Man logo is on the sidewall. No MM logo, it's a second or blem. I had a tire guy tell me this and was skeptical, but looked around at a few places and checked the same model tires. Sam's, no logo. Elsewhere, MM logo. Lowest price isn't always the best deal. But, a shitty Michelin is still better than Goodyear.

Maybe someone can chime in on this to confirm or deny. The Michelin tires you buy from Sam's and Costco are not the same quality you get from Discount Tire. Look to see if the Michelin Man logo is on the sidewall. No MM logo, it's a second or blem. I had a tire guy tell me this and was skeptical, but looked around at a few places and checked the same model tires. Sam's, no logo. Elsewhere, MM logo. Lowest price isn't always the best deal. But, a shitty Michelin is still better than Goodyear.
I don't believe that for one second. Costco doesn't carry seconds, they carry quality stuff.

Do they have the MM logo?
So you're saying that Michelin somehow removes the Michelin Man from tires that don't make the grade? Or do they add it later for those that do?

It is entirely possible that Costco Michelins don't have the MM on them (i don't have any to check at the moment), but I'm saying that they aren't seconds. Costco doesn't do that shit.

Do you think the tire guy might have a vested interest in convincing people that one of his competitors sells bad tires?

6 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Just bought some Bridgestone Dueler AT’s I really like 

I liked the Duelers too. Not too loud and seemed to last forever. I did nothing off the road in my SUV but I was very pleased with Duelers 

i know all tires places are different but if one choses to but tires online from a place like Tirerack, vaguely how much extra does one get charged for installation, tire disposal fees and all the other crap they tack on?

I don't think he was trying to talk anybody into anything. I didn't know Michelin sold tires without the logo until he mentioned it and I checked it out. I have no idea how they remove the logo if they do or add it later. I do know tires sold at Sam's didn't have the logo and the same tire at DT did.

Like I said, just checking to see if anyone else had heard of this.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think he was trying to talk anybody into anything. I didn't know Michelin sold tires without the logo until he mentioned it and I checked it out. I have no idea how they remove the logo if they do or add it later. I do know tires sold at Sam's didn't have the logo and the same tire at DT did.
Like I said, just checking to see if anyone else had heard of this.

Just checked my Michelin Defender LTX's on my F150 from Costco have the Logo on them

21 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

unfortunately, the "tire guy" was the shoe guy only 3 weeks previous, when he worked at Tom McAnn. 

20 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I’m not familiar with Tom McCann tires.

53 minutes ago, RPM said:

I’m not familiar with Tom McAnn anything.

Maybe because it's actually Thom Mcan.
Vic's dates probably pick 'em up for their kids at KMart.  (They used to be pretty decent shoes and had their own stores).

Michelin is the answer, and the question is also, "which tires are going to be the most money ever?"
I've bought MIchelins, and there's no question their ride etc. is superior, noticeably, to anything else I've been on.  But my daughter needs new tires and am I really going to spend (or help her spend) $700 for a new set (by the time you're done with taxes, disposal fees, etc.).  Tire rack is a good option to get them as well.

Seeing as I'm not going to spend that much, sorry, looking at a set of Hankooks.  Like the speed index and the warrant y (60K).  $80 per tire plus $50 rebate.   I've put Barums on her car the last 10 years and they're not the ultimate like MIchelin, but they're smooth and fucking indestructible.  I'd go with them again now but I wanted to see if I could get her a bit smoother, more hi-perf ride.  So it's going to be the Hankooks.

Unless I start a GoFundMe for a set of Michelins.

I don't believe that for one second. Costco doesn't carry seconds, they carry quality stuff.
Love Costco as much as the next guy, but pretty sure brands sell diff quality stuff at Costco. Those Levi's aren't "regular" Levi's. Don't know about tires though because discount tire matches/is cheaper.

I’ve run two sets of Hankooks in my car and been very happy with them while getting almost 80,000 miles on each set. I let them talk me into Michelins and now with slightly more than 30,000 miles I need to replace them.

That’s not normal, assuming you have the same “type” of tire.

On 6/25/2018 at 4:30 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I’ve run two sets of Hankooks in my car and been very happy with them while getting almost 80,000 miles on each set. I let them talk me into Michelins and now with slightly more than 30,000 miles I need to replace them.

It's almost like more compliant, softer, grippier rubber compounds wear quicker

On 6/24/2018 at 10:15 PM, woohorn said:
On 6/7/2018 at 9:20 PM, Chewbacca said:

Love Costco as much as the next guy, but pretty sure brands sell diff quality stuff at Costco. Those Levi's aren't "regular" Levi's. Don't know about tires though because discount tire matches/is cheaper.

They don't have your skinny jeans?

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Need to replace the shitty goodyears that came with my '18 Tundra at 33K miles. . .just very disappointing tires.

Discount tire has a black Friday/cyber Monday 10% rebate.

Thinking Michelin Defender LTX M/S in 275 /55 R20

Anyone got any better ideas?

There's never a better idea than whatever Discount Tire can hook you up with.  Great company that I love doing business with.  Always go ahead and buy the road hazard warranty.  It's the only extended warranty that I buy (or let my wife buy), but there is so much construction metal and such out on the highways these days that it has really paid off for us. 

14 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Need to replace the shitty goodyears that came with my '18 Tundra at 33K miles. . .just very disappointing tires.

Discount tire has a black Friday/cyber Monday 10% rebate.

Thinking Michelin Defender LTX M/S in 275 /55 R20

Anyone got any better ideas?

Just put some Michelin Defender LTXs (255/55/18) on my wife's MDX yesterday.  Costco has a $150 instant rebate right now if you buy 4.  

I replaced the shitty goodyears on my F150 several years ago with Terra Grapplers that are still going at over 65k, so may stick with them on my truck.