Nashville

Mitch Cumsteen

The whole Vandy area is nice, but there is nothing amazing about their stadium or their team by any means. It is far enough down West End that it’s not really connected to downtown, but it’s an easy walk across campus to/from the Division St bars, Hattie B’s, etc.

• 1 month later...

Me and a college buddy are going to Nashville, first time for both of us. We are looking for recs on all around grest bars for county dancing!! We both married gals who aren’t really into country music , so we want a throwback weekend where we can have some good honest fun , drinking , dancing shooting pool.  Never been to Nashville. Where are the best spots, staying at JW. Live music is a plus but more into cool bars where we can dance and cut up shoot pool. 

That JW is sick and in a great location. You’re walking distance to just about everything you need. If you want to mostly get away from the honkytonk scene on broadway for a bit, go to printers alley (ms. kellis), midtown (Patterson house is a great speakeasy, loser’s, kung fu), demonbreun (tin roof, dawghouse) and the gulch (thompson rooftop bar has killer views and scenery).

The bars on broadway are mostly all the same with slightly different layouts but I liked the stage and paradise park (RIP) when I lived there.

See if they have any shows/events playing at ascend, bridgestone or the ryman. If you go while the preds are still in season and have a home game, make it a point to go. One of the best sporting environments and you’ll be on broadway to pre/post game.

if you want Hattie b’s, order online and go pick it up and skip the stupid hour-plus lines. There’s a newish one across from Bridgestone in a very cool new development. Hot or damn hot half bird dark or sandwich with Mac and cheese is one of my best food memories.

Enjoy.

• Hook 'Em 1