Nashville

Mitch Cumsteen

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

We go there a lot because my company is based there.  Not a big country music fan either, but I'd encourage you to spend some time on Broadway and check out a couple of the places.  It's fun just people-watching and, regardless of the style, the musicians they get are very talented.  

Where are you staying?  Can give you some restaurant recommendations.

Good to know. Bars are universal so I figured I would be good there as long as its not sit down concert venue or wide open country dancing type place.  Doubt that would be on the agenda for bachelor party anyways.

Staying near 4th/Church so any recommendations in additions to the ones I found above would be awesome.

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

Good to know. Bars are universal so I figured I would be good there as long as its not sit down concert venue or wide open country dancing type place.  Doubt that would be on the agenda for bachelor party anyways.

Staying near 4th/Church so any recommendations in additions to the ones I found above would be awesome.

Skull’s Rainbow Room is an excellent restaurant/bar that will be right behind you. There are also several decent bars on Printer’s Alley right there without going down to Broadway. Puckett’s should only be a couple blocks away from you and is a good lunch spot. If I’m going with the guys, we usually go to Whiskey Kitchen. It’s owned by the same group as Kanye Prime, but is more casual/bar scene.

If you want to get away from the busy part of Broadway, there are some good bars on Division St near Hattie B’s and also on Divison near Peg Leg Porker. Both areas have a number of walkable bars and restaraunts.

4 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Going for bachelor party this fall; first time there. Excited based on the food pics above.  Not a country music guy however so i will concentrate on booze.

Hit up the bars in Midtown close to Vandy. Lost a lot of brain cells at Loser’s, Rebar and Kung Fu Saloon.

• 1 month later...

Spent a couple of nights in Nashville over the July 4th weekend (& with a night in Memphis). Had a great time. Wanted to speak to Hattie B’s in particular as it’s been mentioned several times in this and other threads. I thought it was phenomenal and definitely lived up to the hype. Had it twice this weekend. However, we had it both times in Memphis and I wanted to give this PSA to anyone who might also be driving through Memphis when going to and from Nashville (in our case visiting from Dallas).

Had it for lunch on Friday in Memphis after having visited Graceland. Got there right when it opened at 11:00 and there were only a few people in line before us (& inside). Quickly ordered, sat down and waited for the deliciousness:

b6cdece783f028e8377fdfb85e643c06.jpg

Was completely delicious. So juicy and flavorful. Got the “Hot” version which was just the right amount of hot for my taste. The whole family liked it so much that we decided we would have it for lunch in Sunday on our way back home and which let me try their Sunday only chicken and waffles. Once again got there right when they opened at 11:00 and there were only a handful of people in line before us when they opened the doors.

The chicken and waffles were also really really good though I prefer the juiciness of the chicken sandwich breast vs having to work though the bigger piece of chicken. Also they apparently didn’t have any bacon cheese grits prepared which was a bummer since they are a “Sunday only” side.

d45301fd607161a0b66a57838c2ee476.jpg

I mention all of this and in the Nashville thread as it struck me how uncrowded it was both times we visited the Memphis location and as opposed to what I saw when we were in Nashville and happened to drive by the location close to Vanderbilt, coincidentally also right when they opened at 11:00:

60dcf362e5c6d01d409927840807bfdb.jpg

TLDR: if you happen to be going to Memphis and Nashville and want to try Hattie Bs (& hate lines like me), I would definitely recommend checking out the Memphis location.

• Like 1

Great review and pics. Hot is the perfect place to start for those who like heat. Damn Hot is still good but Shut the Cluck Up will ruin your day. If you really want to try it, add an extra tender with your meal and see if you can finish it.

Pro tip: If the wait is long at the Midtown location, order online and walk across the street to the Broadway Brewhouse and have a few drinks while you wait. Most days, you need to be in line by 10:30 or so or go at non-peak hours to avoid lengthy wait times. Or, try the other locations on 8th south and Charlotte Ave. 

On 6/4/2018 at 3:35 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

we stumbled across a place called Party Fowl real close to Yazoo that had delicious hot chicken.  It's probably not as good as Hattie's, but I was in and out in 45 minutes and had some good beer in the process.

We had recommended Nashville to some friends. They went this past week and sent us a picture from Party Fowl. They said the adult slushies were delicious.

On 6/4/2018 at 6:34 PM, PorscheGuy said:

Skip the grand ole opry. Unless you like 1950’s country show acts and sitting with old people. We got up and left.

The Opry is definitely hit and miss. Sometimes, it's current country stars and you'll know everyone singing (obviously only if you listen to country).

Other nights, yeah, it can be fairly old.
We saw Brett Eldredge (my wife's crush) once night, along with Riders in the Sky (Grammy award winners for Toy Story Woody's Round Up) and some other acts.
Next night, we saw Kelsea Ballerini and Charlie Daniels, and other acts.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read the thread. We are going to be there for one night - likely will arrive late afternoon on a Tuesday, and will be leaving early in the morning. I will have the wife and 2 kids under 10 with me. We are not Country fans. Any recs on how to get some delicious hot chicken for dinner without waiting in line, where to stay, other things to do? Thanks. 

17 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

I have read the thread. We are going to be there for one night - likely will arrive late afternoon on a Tuesday, and will be leaving early in the morning. I will have the wife and 2 kids under 10 with me. We are not Country fans. Any recs on how to get some delicious hot chicken for dinner without waiting in line, where to stay, other things to do? Thanks. 

Go to the Hattie B's location on Charlotte Pike -- generally less crowded (and newer).  The "Hot" level is just right for me.  Above that gets iffy unless you have a very strong stomach, and I like hot food.

Nashville hotel prices are stupid, just FYI.  Makes Austin look cheap.

From their website, it looks like you CAN'T eat at the Broadway street one if you order online but you can at the other 2 locations - Melrose and West Nashville. I think I would like to take the kids down to see Broadway and mess around there for an hour or two. Any other hot chicken places that we might be able to get a table downtown worth it?

2 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

From their website, it looks like you CAN'T eat at the Broadway street one if you order online but you can at the other 2 locations - Melrose and West Nashville. I think I would like to take the kids down to see Broadway and mess around there for an hour or two. Any other hot chicken places that we might be able to get a table downtown worth it?

There is no replacement for Hattie B’s. I would either eat and then go downtown or go downtown and then eat if you want chicken. There are plenty of other solid places if you want something else, but most lean towards nicer restaurants. There is a Hampton Inn on 4th that you can sometimes catch a decent price in the $200 range on. Like mentioned above, Nashville has the highest rack rate in the country so you are going to spend to be in Nashville. Move out to Brentwood or Franklin to stay and it gets a lot more reasonable.

• Like 1

I can book some random ass airbnb's in or close to downtown with enough beds for around $200. Probably gonna do that. Good tip on no replacement for Hattie B's. Thanks. Anything else fun to do other than wander up and down Broadway? Parthenon is OUT. My cousin got married in that joint about 7-8 years ago (in the summer, as mentioned earlier in the thread) and my Dad, cousin and I ditched out early for PF Changs because it was about 130 degrees in there. 

Spent a week in Nashville last week; Hattie B's ain't real "Nashville" according to my hipster friends who live there and so I didn't care to try it. Ate at the Southern Steak & Oyster and it was good. Ate at George Jones Bar which was awesome to see be inside of, but the food was worse than mediocre. Broadway is fun at night; it's like a Redneck Las Vegas. Saw a ton of homeless people. Nashville is weird because it's small but it's also very congested and traffic was pretty bad at almost all hours of the working day. In fact it wasn't so much traffic as it was people just drive so slow.

My friend ordered Hatti B's on Uber eats and had it delivered in like 10 minutes instead of waiting in a horrible line.

Am in Memphis this week; ate at Uncle Lou's Fried Chicken (a 'hot' chicken place), obviously Rendevzous, but also A&R BBQ and Corky's. Caught a Memphis Redbirds game (I like to check out minor league games in random cities we consult in and collect the hats). Memphis just feels sad and poor, but there is room and space at least.

12 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Looks like the Sounds have a game vs El Paso on the 30th. I hear that's a nice ball park.

Lol at hipsters talking about real Nashville. Hipsters are about as far from real Nashville as you can get. However, there isn’t much authentic about Nashville at this point. There are pockets of the old, southern, country music feel but they are getting overtaken by corporate headquarters, high rises, and people coming in from everywhere. It’s a City that just doesn’t have much history outside of the country music/bar scene and that’s slowly getting sold off.

Baboon, with 2 kids under 10 that don't like Country music, there isn’t much. The Broadway/downtown area is made up of bars, the Ryman, the Country Music Hall of Fame, etc. There are some historic mansions outside the City that do tours and the Lane Motor Museum has an oddball car collection if you or one of them likes cars. 

3 hours ago, Brew said:

Lol at hipsters talking about real Nashville. Hipsters are about as far from real Nashville as you can get. However, there isn’t much authentic about Nashville at this point. There are pockets of the old, southern, country music feel but they are getting overtaken by corporate headquarters, high rises, and people coming in from everywhere. It’s a City that just doesn’t have much history outside of the country music/bar scene and that’s slowly getting sold off.

Baboon, with 2 kids under 10 that don't like Country music, there isn’t much. The Broadway/downtown area is made up of bars, the Ryman, the Country Music Hall of Fame, etc. There are some historic mansions outside the City that do tours and the Lane Motor Museum has an oddball car collection if you or one of them likes cars. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2018 at 7:59 AM, orange dream said:

2nd the vote for Kayne Prime. not Kanye. ha ha

We're going in a couple of weeks for an exec retreat.  Doing Kayne the first night, lunch at Martin's BBQ, and  dinner Moto Cucina & Entoteca the second.  Staying at the Dream Hotel.

Edited by Sbbruin

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

We're going in a couple of weeks for an exec retreat.  Doing Kayne the first night, lunch at Martin's BBQ, and  dinner Moto Cucina & Entoteca the second.  Staying at the Dream Hotel.

This is gong to sound odd, but the best thing at Kanye are the sides.  Don’t get me wrong — the steaks are good, but not better than some other places.  Sides: cream corn brûlée; risotto tater tots; the Mac and cheese gratin with peppers. Also, be sure to get the bacon app (topped with maple cotton candy)

I will tell you the wine list is stupidly priced, even for a steak house.  If you have some good wine with a little age, consider bringing a couple of bottles in and paying corkage and maybe buying a bottle there to throw them a bone. They basically have nothing with any age and mainly the usual suspects.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

This is gong to sound odd, but the best thing at Kanye are the sides.  Don’t get me wrong — the steaks are good, but not better than some other places.  Sides: cream corn brûlée; risotto tater tots; the Mac and cheese gratin with peppers. Also, be sure to get the bacon app (topped with maple cotton candy)

I will tell you the wine list is stupidly priced, even for a steak house.  If you have some good wine with a little age, consider bringing a couple of bottles in and paying corkage and maybe buying a bottle there to throw them a bone. They basically have nothing with any age and mainly the usual suspects.

I'm not paying, and my boss is not price-sensitive, especially when it comes to wine.  The exec trips are pretty boondoggly when it comes to spending money.

16 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I'm not paying, and my boss is not price-sensitive, especially when it comes to wine.  The exec trips are pretty boondoggly when it comes to spending money.

Forgot to mention:  was at a private event for our firm at the Dream Hotel weekend before last.  Didn’t stay there (stayed at the JW), but the bar downstairs/out back in Printer’s Alley is pretty cool.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

Forgot to mention:  was at a private event for our firm at the Dream Hotel weekend before last.  Didn’t stay there (stayed at the JW), but the bar downstairs/out back in Printer’s Alley is pretty cool.

Had lunch at Dream Hotel a few weeks ago; it was lame to me. An old hotel or something?

13 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Kayne is another high end steakhouse like all the others, but their sides do set them apart. I’m just not a big fan. If i’m eating around there, I would much rather go to one of the other M street restaurants like Virago or even Whiskey Kitchen.

SBB, if you’re at the Dream one of the best restaurant/bars in town is right behind you. Skull’s Rainbow Room is one of our favorite places to go depending on the night and who is playing. It’s worth the visit and the food is outstanding. You also have Puckett’s a block or so over which is an excellent lunch option.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kanye was pretty outstanding.  Wag yum filet paired with a Caymus cab was pretty on point.  Just had an IV therapy treatment, which is standard protocol on these trips.  Headed to Martins BBQ in a half hour, then axe throwing somewhere, I forget where.  Nice weather today.

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Kanye was pretty outstanding.  Wag yum filet paired with a Caymus cab was pretty on point.  Just had an IV therapy treatment, which is standard protocol on these trips.  Headed to Martins BBQ in a half hour, then axe throwing somewhere, I forget where.  Nice weather today.

Kayne is a good place, but nothing tastes good with Caymus, or any Wagner wine for that matter.  

27 minutes ago, Underdog said:

The Ryland or out where Opryland used to be?  

The newer Opry.  Going to Moto tonight.  A lotta drinking went on today.  Should be interesting.  My strategy has always been to make sure someone is drunker than me so they are the one everyone talks about.  15 years later and it has worked like a charm.  Of course I’ve finished second pretty often.

• 2 weeks later...
The newer Opry.  Going to Moto tonight.  A lotta drinking went on today.  Should be interesting.  My strategy has always been to make sure someone is drunker than me so they are the one everyone talks about.  15 years later and it has worked like a charm.  Of course I’ve finished second pretty often.

How was Moto ?

• 2 months later...

05435b19e329337f683a75b2701d3d2d.jpg6fec915e60eb0023b0c5c5b59f3945fd.jpg5c0d8dabe593aa092680969509833afd.jpg27269cfcd54bad28153883f51d1595fc.jpg9f57595e0623729ea04c8e8cf4dd9386.jpg
672b6b117da94c4bab1120b736bca418.jpg
25bf32904b2fb269342742105cd27b02.jpg

Did a trip for New Years. Had to hit Sunda again...damn good. Also did Jimmy Kelly’s and the steak and service were very good.

Had to hit up Hattie B’s this time. Luckily got there 20-minutes before opening and was second in line. The pic here is the line when I was leaving.

Also tried Nashville Jam Co. for breakfast. Very tasty and worth the ride.

Good times and some really good food. And it was awesome to see Stevie Nicks get on stage with Keith Urban at the New Years event downtown.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...

May go there this weekend, or next.  (just a bucketlist item, with a lady friend)

I've read through this thread.  Since the last reply is almost 2 years old, anything anyone can add?

TIA.

**Edit to add.  Should we rent a car?

Edited by Rip76

Sunda is still dishing out great food.

Jeff Ruby’s is our go to steak spot now. A bit pricey but amazing steak and sushi and great decor.

Arnold’s Country Kitchen for meat + 3. 

Locals will tell you Hattie Bs is for tourists and to go to Princes for the original hot chicken.

• Hook 'Em 1

We like the Loews as it’s close to campus…where my youngest is. And right by downtown. Great service and nice bar area.

There is a nice Kimpton there also I’ve stayed at. Great breakfast in their dining/bar area.

Fairlane is on my list to check out. Had it booked for a trip I canceled sometime back.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Rip76 said:

Oh, and best place to stay.

Depends on what you want to spend and where you want to be. The Kimpton has easy access to the older bars on Division and Hattie B’s. The Thompson has easy access to the Gulch. The JW is where we have stayed the last couple of trips with access to Broadway and the areas around the Gulch. Their are cheaper hotels around them, but those are the nicer ones we have stayed at.

• Hook 'Em 1

Forgot to add, the Besh restaraunt at the Thompson is really good and their rooftop bar setup is great if the weather is decent. The Bourbon Steak at the JW is our go to steak place now when in Nashville. It is outstanding. Any of the M street restaurants (Kayne Prime, Whiskey Kitchen, etc) are good. You really can’t go wrong downtown. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I would recommend the Thompson as well.  It's in a great area.  The restaurant is fantastic and their rooftop bar is my favorite in Nashville.  Easy $8-$10 uber anywhere you want to go.  If you can, get tickets to the Blue Bird Cafe on Friday night.  Its very limited but is an amazing experience, doesn't matter who is playing or if you don't who they are.  Usually they have a song writer come in and perform the songs they wrote and tell the story behind it.  When we went, it was the guy who wrote "The Gambler" and 20 other songs you know, really, really cool.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...