Just got back from Isla Mujeres

wood

Actually this incident has me looking at monitors for my house. There are numerous gas leaks in homes every day in Austin & there are a lot of these monitors out there that are surprisingly cheap. I'll probably buy one pretty soon. /csb

Edited by wood

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2018 at 3:15 PM, TornACL said:

I don't know man, if I have to bring fucking gas detector monitor on my vacation, maybe I need more than just a vacation.

No kidding. I've been there about 15 times and I prefer a resort to a condo, no need for any kind of detector at a resort.

Just a little tip to anyone  who may be going to PDC. Check airfare to Cozumel as well as Cancun. 2 years ago I flew into Cozumel $95 per person cheaper, took a $5 cab ride to the ferry, and another $5 cab to the resort. It sounds like a pain in the ass, but I was at my hotel in a little over an hour. I flew into Cancun this February, spent an hour waiting for my shuttle, then it took another hour to get to my hotel, not to mention the extra 30 minutes it takes to get your bags and through customs in Cancun compared to Cozumel.

I was sitting on the beach about half a mile away from the ferry explosion. I thought a propane tank blew up until the mother-in-law texted my wife to make sure we weren't on the ferry. Nonetheless, I  would head back down in a heartbeat.  I feel safer in PDC than I do most places in Houston.

On 4/11/2018 at 12:12 PM, Buzzrock said:

Good review SB. Tipping the beach waiter is a good call.

Tip everybody, even if it's just a few bucks, it's always appreciated. I always take $100 in ones for the bartenders, housekeepers, and buffet staff. An extra $3 or $4 a day to the housekeepers typically keeps your fridge full of drinks. I know if doesn't sound like much, but if everyone tipped just $20 a day, it would make a huge difference in their lives. Those people work their asses off for I'm guessing $8 or so a day. I don't think I've seen more than a handful of euros or South Americans ever tip and it pisses me off. I gave the front desk girl a $20 when I  checked in and got a room overlooking the pool and the beach. 2nd best $20 I've ever spent.

Edited by CfRhTxStBobcats

On 4/25/2018 at 1:17 AM, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

No kidding. I've been there about 15 times and I prefer a resort to a condo, no need for any kind of detector at a resort.

Just a little tip to anyone  who may be going to PDC. Check airfare to Cozumel as well as Cancun. 2 years ago I flew into Cozumel $95 per person cheaper, took a $5 cab ride to the ferry, and another $5 cab to the resort. It sounds like a pain in the ass, but I was at my hotel in a little over an hour. I flew into Cancun this February, spent an hour waiting for my shuttle, then it took another hour to get to my hotel, not to mention the extra 30 minutes it takes to get your bags and through customs in Cancun compared to Cozumel.

I was sitting on the beach about half a mile away from the ferry explosion. I thought a propane tank blew up until the mother-in-law texted my wife to make sure we weren't on the ferry. Nonetheless, I  would head back down in a heartbeat.  I feel safer in PDC than I do most places in Houston.

Didn't the gas thing happen at a resort? At any rate though, I doubt we're at any greater risk of that kind of thing happening in Mx than we are here, resort or condo, or whatever. 

Re: the CZM/CUN thing, yeah sometimes you can save money that way, and it takes about the same amount of time to PdC. You can also build some pretty cheap itineraries flying into CZM and out of CUN, or vice-versa.

ETA: 

The condo rented by the Sharps was located at Residencial TAO.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/gas-leak-water-heater-killed-american-family-mexico/story?id=54013783

We stayed in the Tao Residences in July 2016, so ... close to home. They weren't even finished yet on the side across the road from the beach & the place we stayed in was brand new & immaculate. I wonder if they were staying at one of the older places on the beach side of the road.

Edited by wood

I was gonna rent a car from American Car rental with their all in cost of about $50/day picking up from the Isla ferry and dropping off at the airport.  I then checked my Chase card and could rent the same car for 10/day but would have to pickup and drop off at the airport.  Has anyone here used their miles to rent a car from American? If so, is that lower rate all inclusive?  With my Chase card, rental insurance is covered by my card but I know a lot of places try to tell you the card insurance isn't valid... Even if I have to book a transfer van from the ferry to the airport location, I'd still be coming out ahead if I can indeed get the lower rate by booking thru Chase.  I just don't want to have to deal with them if the rate isn't all inclusive if I was to book the cheaper rate thru Chase... Anyone have any experience doing this?

On 4/11/2018 at 3:37 PM, wood said:

Actually this incident has me looking at monitors for my house. There are numerous gas leaks in homes every day in Austin & there are a lot of these monitors out there that are surprisingly cheap. I'll probably buy one pretty soon. /csb

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but in Austin on April 1st a city ordinance went into effect requiring all buildings (residential and commercial) with gas appliances, to have CO detectors installed.  That's obviously not the same as a propane or natural gas leak, but I have found that a lot of people don't know about this new law, so figured I'd throw it into this discussion.  As a landlord, I had to install this equipment in my rental properties in order to comply.

http://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-homes-with-gas-appliances-must-have-co-detector/1069759855

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Are you going to Isla? If so WTF do you need a car for?

7 days on Isla then headed south to Akumal and Puerto Aventuras for 5 more days...  Need a car to get from the ferry to Akumal for the 2nd leg and to have down there to get around.  American Car rental has an office at Puerto Juarez and I can drop it off at the airport location.  When I tried to book via Chase, it only lists the airport location for dropoff/pickup with American and Chase site says nothing about the rental being "all-inclusive" (Chase Sapphire Preferred provides full coverage as a card benefit that I've had rental companies claim doesn't apply to them...)  Trying to decide if it's worth the hassle to save a few bucks per the scenario mentioned above...

4 minutes ago, Grimas said:

7 days on Isla then headed south to Akumal and Puerto Aventuras for 5 more days...  Need a car to get from the ferry to Akumal for the 2nd leg and to have down there to get around.  American Car rental has an office at Puerto Juarez and I can drop it off at the airport location.  When I tried to book via Chase, it only lists the airport location for dropoff/pickup with American and Chase site says nothing about the rental being "all-inclusive" (Chase Sapphire Preferred provides full coverage as a card benefit that I've had rental companies claim doesn't apply to them...)  Trying to decide if it's worth the hassle to save a few bucks per the scenario mentioned above...

When you say America has a Pto. Juarez location, do you mean the one at Hwy 307 & Av Coba ... or do they actually have one at the ferry pier?

16 minutes ago, wood said:

When you say America has a Pto. Juarez location, do you mean the one at Hwy 307 & Av Coba ... or do they actually have one at the ferry pier?

On their website, it says you have a choice of pickup location and one is Pto. Juarez Ferry (but no actual address when you see the list of locations).  When I has asked the lady running the chat on their website if I could get picked up by them at the ferry pier and taken to their downtown location (or the one in the Hotel Zone), she said I could just get the car at the pier.  Maybe they bring the car to the pier???

Edited by Grimas

18 hours ago, Grimas said:

On their website, it says you have a choice of pickup location and one is Pto. Juarez Ferry (but no actual address when you see the list of locations).  When I has asked the lady running the chat on their website if I could get picked up by them at the ferry pier and taken to their downtown location (or the one in the Hotel Zone), she said I could just get the car at the pier.  Maybe they bring the car to the pier???

Yeah that might be it. I just talked to them as well on the phone. We're pretty much doing the opposite of you - picking a car up at the airport location, going to Akumal/Tulum for a few days,  & then dropping at the Downtown location to catch the ferry to Isla. That's 2.5 miles from Pto. Juarez. I just wanted to know if they will take us to the pier from there, and the nice lady said they will. She recommended that location for our dropoff, so I'm guessing it's the closest one and maybe they'll take your car to the pier for y'all to pick up. 

ETA: I updated my reservation to upgrade to a Jeep, and got this email:

Thank you for your reservation and preference our representative will await your arrival of the flight UAL 1018. He will be outside the airport terminal in the parking lot área. We do not have counters or phones inside the terminal. After you pick up your luggage clear customs and security doors , just walk out the main exit. Outside, you will identify him with a sign, with our company's logo and your name, in large black letters. Once you make contact with him he will drive you to our office a few minutes from the airport. where you will fill out your paper work and pick up your vehicle. On the return, you drive the vehicle to Cancun Downtown, close your contract and our representative will drive you to where you need to be within the area of return. Please bring a copy of your reservation and confirmation for any future references. Looking forward to seeing you soon, we wish you a pleasant flight.

Edited by wood

13 minutes ago, Chips O'Toole said:

Could somebody brief me on why this place is preferred over PDC?  We have a 2-year old and are looking at resorts, but my wife isn't really interested in the places she saw in Isla Mujeres.

Isla is what PdC used to be in comparison to Cancun. Smallish. Quaint. Quiet, most of the time. Family-friendly. Less expensive in general. PdC is now crowded, noisy, pretty much 24/7, very commercial, and a massive party zone for young adults & teens.

1 hour ago, rage-a-holic said:

IM is a nice, safe, small and pretty boring place, unless you just like laying around doing nothing.

Pretty much, which is why we usually do a few very active days down the coast and then a few more less active days on Isla, mostly just chillin on the beach. We do find a few things to do though... snorkeling, eating, whale shark & turtle swimming, drinking, riding around on the cart, eating, going to baseball, hoops, & soccer games, drinking, eating, etc

Edited by wood

53 minutes ago, wood said:

Pretty much, which is why we usually do a few very active days down the coast and then a few more less active days on Isla, mostly just chillin. We do find a few things to do though...

I would definitely go back if I was married  or wanted a "hot sex weekend with a new girlfriend" but I just like to wander too much. Last time I was on on IM, I was bored within 36 hours.

When/where are you guys on the mainland?

8 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

I would definitely go back if I was married  or wanted a "hot sex weekend with a new girlfriend" but I just like to wander too much. Last time I was on on IM, I was bored within 36 hours.

When/where are you guys on the mainland?

We'll be there in July for 4 nights. Haven't picked our rental yet. Somewhere between Pto. A and Tulum. Wife says she wants to be closer to Tulum this time. Then it's off to  Isla for 4 nights at Ixchel...

Edited by wood

53 minutes ago, wood said:

We'll be there in July for 4 nights. Haven't picked our rental yet. Somewhere between Pto. A and Tulum. Wife says she wants to be closer to Tulum this time. Then it's off to  Isla for 4 nights at Ixchel...

Sounds like a good time. We'll have to meet up one of these days. I'll be in PDC/Cozumel/Merida/Tulum/Xcalak at the end of May.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wood said:

I found a good deal on a nice condo on the northern part of Half Moon Bay which is the next Bay north of Acumel and next to a good cenote... the owner contacted me outside of VRBO and we were able to avoid the $75 "service charge" that VRBO charges by booking direct...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

IM is a nice, safe, small and pretty boring place, unless you just like laying around doing nothing.

It is what you make of it.  I live life at 900 miles an hour at home so I like the decompression of Isla.

I'm going on the 12th of this month  - with wife, daughters and each daughter is bring a friend - so six of us.    How many pesos should i get?  Is the island mostly credit cards?  when i have gone to cabo, i usually get 100 dollars in 1 dollar bills and use those to tip everyone - same will work on isla i assume?

2 hours ago, Mr. Drummond said:

I'm going on the 12th of this month  - with wife, daughters and each daughter is bring a friend - so six of us.    How many pesos should i get?  Is the island mostly credit cards?  when i have gone to cabo, i usually get 100 dollars in 1 dollar bills and use those to tip everyone - same will work on isla i assume?

$100 in 1's work and you can use dollars almost everywhere, but you'll pay for the privilege. We took $5000MX just in case we needed something before we got to an ATM, but after that we stopped at an ATM in the Xpress Grocery Store on the square and it was much better than exchanging at hotels or restaurants. Cards worked in some and not in others, but I like pesos so I just used that everywhere.

My wife and I take $100-$120 a day in Pesos when we go.  We generally have enough left over to tip the staff at our hotel at the end of the trip.  We eat and drink and don't worry about the prices either.  It's one of the cheapest places I've been to and there are a lot of great restaurants.  If you like authentic Mexican there are even more great restaurants.

Just booked my transfers for our mid-June trip. There wasn't an option for our particular AirBNB, so I just picked Villa La Bella since it's close by. I don't think it matters since they just take you to the ferry, right?

Also: anyone done the whale shark snorkel trips? It sounds awesome: is it?

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Just booked my transfers for our mid-June trip. There wasn't an option for our particular AirBNB, so I just picked Villa La Bella since it's close by. I don't think it matters since they just take you to the ferry, right?

Also: anyone done the whale shark snorkel trips? It sounds awesome: is it?

Yes. Twice. It's amazing when there are sharks. Just make sure you do it in season, and your chances are pretty strong. IIRC June-July is the best time. The guys know right where to go to find them. We had a bunch of sharks all over the place both times we went. Beautiful animals, and very calm & peaceful. And you don't have to go with the guys who specialize in whale shark trips. You can also go with a local fishing captain when their normal business is slow. Usually cheaper that way. We've done both & were very happy both ways.

Edited by wood

14 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

Do you guys exchange money at a Cancun airport ATM?  Seems like an easy way to become a mark.  Of course, exchanging at an airport on the US side seems like an easy way to pay an awful exchange rate.

Same at CUN terrible rates. The new terminal is nice for departures, but get through arrivals as fast as possible. Don't stop at the blue shirts

45 minutes ago, Grimas said:

Ask your bank in the US to order some peso for you before you go.  My BBVA branch said they need 3 days notice... Over 19 to 1 this week...

Good tip.  Thanks.  Just called my bank and they said max 4 days.

I'm guessing I should plan on using cash at all the hotels and bars in town.  Seems like the easiest and safest path.

Getting our stuff from the ferry to Ixchel continues to be an argument between me an my wife. We’re traveling with a toddler so we’ll have a good amount of shit. 

We will be arriving around 4pm-5pm. I was thinking there would be guys with carts or wheelbarrows waiting at the ferry to carry our bags and we’d just walk alongside them (she doesn’t want to take a cab because of the lack of car seat). Her thought is to pre-book a golf cart from an outfit close to the ferry and use that.I haven’t called Ixchel to see if they’d come pick us up with a car seat. Any suggestions? 

1 hour ago, 3adays said:

Getting our stuff from the ferry to Ixchel continues to be an argument between me an my wife. We’re traveling with a toddler so we’ll have a good amount of shit. 

We will be arriving around 4pm-5pm. I was thinking there would be guys with carts or wheelbarrows waiting at the ferry to carry our bags and we’d just walk alongside them (she doesn’t want to take a cab because of the lack of car seat). Her thought is to pre-book a golf cart from an outfit close to the ferry and use that.I haven’t called Ixchel to see if they’d come pick us up with a car seat. Any suggestions? 

Same question.  I thought back on Shaggy someone said they used USA Transfers for transfer from airport to hotel and back and everything worked out great.  When I booked booked with them I stated our dropoff and pickup point was Ixchel.  As I'm looking over the confirmation, they only pickup and dropoff at the ferry terminal--not to the hotel.  What's the best way to get to and from the hotel for ferry dropoff/pickup?

1 hour ago, 3adays said:

Golf carts aren't great for hauling a bunch of luggage & other shit around. I'd definitely go with one of the pedi-cart guys and just walk along beside him. It's just a few blocks to the hotel.10 minute walk at most. If you don't want to walk, you can get a cab and and have one of the cart guys meet you at the hotel. They're good, honest, hard-working guys. They aren't looking to rip anyone off. I've never heard of Ixchel providing a shuttle service to & from the pier.

6 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

Same question.  I thought back on Shaggy someone said they used USA Transfers for transfer from airport to hotel and back and everything worked out great.  When I booked booked with them I stated our dropoff and pickup point was Ixchel.  As I'm looking over the confirmation, they only pickup and dropoff at the ferry terminal--not to the hotel.  What's the best way to get to and from the hotel for ferry dropoff/pickup?

Best way imho to and from Ixchel is to walk. See above.

9 hours ago, 3adays said:

Get a pedi cart guy. Get some beer at the store across the street. Walk. The guy’s gonna get ahead of you. Relax! Walk. Drink. Tip him 10 and he’ll be stoked.

tell the wife to settle down and that you got this.

also bring a koozie 

Any beach club recommendations - my wife booked us in a nice condo down south on the island, does anyone recommend any of the beach clubs where you pay a bit, has a resturant, bar and not too crowded vs  the crowds on playa norte?   Or should we blow that idea off completely.