Just got back from Isla Mujeres

wood

12 hours ago, Mr. Drummond said:

GdC was right below our condo - the kids went there a few times  - 70 pesos is correct, you do have to rent the snorkeling stuff if you dont have your own, but it is cheap (3-5 bucks i think).  also a little restaurant and bar-all i had there was a couple of beers, so can't vouch for the food.     Not a huge variety of fish, but they are used to being fed there, so come right at you and is cool.    Opens at 10.

Yep, not a huge variety right in front of the little beach, but if you swim a little farther out and esp if you swim south to the artificial reefs just past the concrete platform, there's a lot of good stuff to see. Starfish, urchins, anemone, rays, sea cucumbers, even the occasional eel, coral, and lots of fish varieties. It's only maybe 25-50 yards, but most people never go over there.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Forgot to ask Drummond: how did you get your luggage from the Ultramar to the condo?

taxis.  For 60 bucks round trip a person we had transport from airport in a private van with beer and water, he handed us our ferry tickets, walked off of ferry to a lady holding a "mr drummond" sign, and she took us to condo... then back the same way to airport.

I dont know if that is a good deal or not - but it was convenient as hell.

and it was all arranged by the airbnb/condo person - we didnt do anything.

Edited by Mr. Drummond

42 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

taxis.  For 60 bucks round trip a person we had transport from airport in a private van with beer and water, he handed us our ferry tickets, walked off of ferry to a lady holding a "mr drummond" sign, and she took us to condo... then back the same way to airport.

I assume you aren't the ghost of Mr. Drummond, so you must not have been drugged/raped/killed by roving bands of AK-wielding cartel members like the dumbasses at the other thread say. Man, you must be one incredibly lucky bastard! :)

3 hours ago, wood said:

I assume you aren't the ghost of Mr. Drummond, so you must not have been drugged/raped/killed by roving bands of AK-wielding cartel members like the dumbasses at the other thread say. Man, you must be one incredibly lucky bastard! :)

Hashtag blessed. 

• Like 1

I already have ferry transfers arranged from USA Transfers, so I figure I’ll be on my own at the other end of the ferry run. I’m telling the family to pack light and figure we’ll get taxis on the other side.

2 hours ago, tejas60 said:

flying to Cancun Saturday for a week. figured I'd check the weather out there after I listened to the Longhorns go 2 and que this morning. Fuck.

80-90% chance of T-storms every got damn day.

don't care, will have alcohol and sex.

That’s the forecast nearly every day on an island.  You probably won’t even see a cloud most days. 

58 minutes ago, 3adays said:

I’m here now and the last two days the weather has sucked. The radar seems ineffective here. Had to drive in the golf cart from Punta Sur to Ixchel in a downpour yesterday. 

Yeah, that probably wasn't any fun. Anyone here remember when they used to rent VW Things on Cozumel? Seemed like they were probably held together with chicken wire. Got caught out in a huge downpour  in one once. Every time we hit a puddle, which was like every 2 or 3 seconds, the water would splash up all over us through the holes in the floor. Crazy.

Good times though. I can't remember ever having a bad time on either island, regardless of the weather.

Is this a Caribbean thread or a Mexico thread or both? PV was totally fucking awesome. What playa wishes it could be. Road trips out of town were great, left wanting to come back and finding gems on the last day to explore next time. Food is good, had the best tacos al pastor I’ve ever had. The sunsets are redic, the fishing was solid. Even the criminal justice system was accommodating. Will be back. Easily tied with Tulum for fav spots that are on the beach and easy to get to from a SWA flight.

6 days...  Bastards on Houston news ran story about Cancun murders today that wife saw... of course she forgets the Thailand and Indonesia beach trips we took when we lived in Asia where people get mugged on the beach...

Edited by Grimas

8 hours ago, ramirezut said:

A group of friends and family are grabbing a private yacht in Cancun and likely gonna spend a few hours on IM and doc there for a bit. Any recs on beaches to snorkel/swim?

To party, swim, hang out, boats congregate in front of Playa Norte. For snorkeling, go along the east side of the island, starting at the little harbor lighthouse and boatwreck, and moving south... It does help a little to have someone who knows the area for snorkeling out there off a boat though. 

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, wood said:

To party, swim, hang out, boats congregate in front of Playa Norte. For snorkeling, go along the east side of the island, starting at the little harbor lighthouse and boatwreck, and moving south... It does help a little to have someone who knows the area for snorkeling out there off a boat though. 

Awesome. Yea we have a local captain so hopefully he knows some spots to hang. Thanks!

Sitting on the patio overlooking North Beach right now with fam all crashed... was a bit of a pain getting here- mainly because SWA had an issues with the A/c on the Houston to Austin connection that gave us 10 minutes to make the Aus to Cancun connection, wife had to pee and they didn't turn off the seatbelt sign until the last 30 minutes of flight... Oldest "flight attendant" I've ever seen working the flight...  

Wife and kids calling me a hero after the dinner on the beach as the sun was setting at the Mayan beach club though...  Damn good food and all crashed happy.  Just an FYI - used my Chase Sapphire Reserve card and paid in pesos. Exchange rate in dollars was 15 to one if I paid in dollars on the bill when the "official rate" is close to 20. Waiter said they are better than the other places on Hildago..

Walked by Dopi's on the way to get some provisions at the grocery store and it was totally empty but will do it for lunch tomorrow. Actually all of Hildago was pretty empty around 8pm...

• Like 1

Got a golf cart and drove the island today.  So far, the best food was Roosters for breakfast and the Mayan Beach club for dinner (shrimp stuffed peppers, grilled octopus, grilled red snapper and coconut milk fish were the highlights)....  Dopi's tacos were good but for lunch, not dinner (gluten intolerant kid in tow and no corn tortillas)  Bally-Hoo's grilled fish was ok but I wouldn't return... Headed to the southern part of the island tomorrow with plans of Mango cafe for Brekkie and Bastos for dinner...

12 hours ago, Grimas said:

Got a golf cart and drove the island today.  So far, the best food was Roosters for breakfast and the Mayan Beach club for dinner (shrimp stuffed peppers, grilled octopus, grilled red snapper and coconut milk fish were the highlights)....  Dopi's tacos were good but for lunch, not dinner (gluten intolerant kid in tow and no corn tortillas)  Bally-Hoo's grilled fish was ok but I wouldn't return... Headed to the southern part of the island tomorrow with plans of Mango cafe for Brekkie and Bastos for dinner...

I agree about Ballyhoo.  I don't get the love for the place.  Wasn't a huge fan of Mango Cafe.  We stayed across the street from it the first time we visited and maybe I just got tired of it.

Bastos is the bomb.  Do the right thing and get the arracherra.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2018 at 11:45 PM, Grimas said:

Sitting on the patio overlooking North Beach right now with fam all crashed... was a bit of a pain getting here- mainly because SWA had an issues with the A/c on the Houston to Austin connection that gave us 10 minutes to make the Aus to Cancun connection, wife had to pee and they didn't turn off the seatbelt sign until the last 30 minutes of flight... Oldest "flight attendant" I've ever seen working the flight...  

Wife and kids calling me a hero after the dinner on the beach as the sun was setting at the Mayan beach club though...  Damn good food and all crashed happy.  Just an FYI - used my Chase Sapphire Reserve card and paid in pesos. Exchange rate in dollars was 15 to one if I paid in dollars on the bill when the "official rate" is close to 20. Waiter said they are better than the other places on Hildago..

Walked by Dopi's on the way to get some provisions at the grocery store and it was totally empty but will do it for lunch tomorrow. Actually all of Hildago was pretty empty around 8pm...

hidalgo gets going later than 8pm most nights.

2 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Cancun municipal cops tried their Mordida bullshit on me yesterday morning while I was returning my rental car. Had a good time fucking with them for 20 minutes and didn't pay a cent. Fucking crooked ass mexicans.

So, how did all that go?

Kids wanted Roosters again so we did that for breakfast. Drove to the southern part of the island then hit Bastos for an early dinner after snorkeling at GdC. Loved the salsas at Bastos and then brought up divorce with the wife when she asked the chef his "favorite" when we all ordered the arracherra and he said the"northern" version was his favorite.  Basically the same steak but covered in green salsa and white cheese. - she said why don't you get it and we will share... she took one bite and said we weren't sharing...  I did get a few sympathy bites from the kids and one from her...  Damn fantastic steak! Anyone figure out how he seasons it?   The green salsa water down the flavor of mine... I'm taking them all back tomorrow before we give up the golf cart so I can get an arrecherra for me...

Driving around the island, I'm glad we are on north beach rather than in the middle or down south. I think we would feel trapped without  stuff to just walk to...  we'll see the family opinion when we move to Akumel next week with the slower vibe down there compared to here...

Oh, shared complex wifi sucks at Nautibeach. Good luck trying to stream a movie at night...  Need to find a sports bar on Hildago that will carry the baseball game tomorrow afternoon...