Just got back from Isla Mujeres

wood

3 hours ago, troph said:

Haha didn’t know Cozumel was clean - I heard there was plenty. Only been once and that was walking around the town further in past the hordes of cruise ship passengers.

Yeah, the cruise ships did a number on Cozumel long before the sargassum...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/9/2020 at 8:01 PM, tejas60 said:

is the seaweed still bad on the beaches? heading back to Playa del Carmen in June...

I’d ask this question a little lot closer to your trip. But yes I have a friend that got back 2 days ago and there was none now. There is also none in Port A right now but our seaweed season doesn’t start up until spring.

Edited by justhookit

• 1 month later...

Finally decided to book a trip to Isla Mujeres after reading this thread for years.  Going in mid July with the family.  Probably be hot af, but who cares we will just get in the ocean.

Looking to book Ixchel Beach Hotel. For those who have been, is there any real difference between a 2 BR suite and the 2 BR Penthouse?  For the penthouse, I can't tell if the patio and hot tub on the roof are private or not.  Anybody been in any of these?  Also anybody ever gotten a roll-away bed at Ixchel?

I tried googling and couldn't get an answer. Is there a particular time of year the seaweed is more prevalent or is it just luck of the draw? I was at Moon Palace last October and the shit was everywhere. It was such a cock tease looking out from my room and seeing perfect water 2-300 yards off the beach.

12 hours ago, Hmbre97 said:

I tried googling and couldn't get an answer. Is there a particular time of year the seaweed is more prevalent or is it just luck of the draw? I was at Moon Palace last October and the shit was everywhere. It was such a cock tease looking out from my room and seeing perfect water 2-300 yards off the beach.

If you're Caribbean side sargassum is more likely and particularly so if there have been storms recently.  As mentioned Play Norte rarely gets seaweed.  There's a point on the west side that shelters it.

On 2/24/2020 at 11:25 AM, HookEm said:

Finally decided to book a trip to Isla Mujeres after reading this thread for years.  Going in mid July with the family.  Probably be hot af, but who cares we will just get in the ocean.

Looking to book Ixchel Beach Hotel. For those who have been, is there any real difference between a 2 BR suite and the 2 BR Penthouse?  For the penthouse, I can't tell if the patio and hot tub on the roof are private or not.  Anybody been in any of these?  Also anybody ever gotten a roll-away bed at Ixchel?

Either way, the 2 BR suites are awesome.  See if you can get one in the front corners.  Those are awesome EXCEPT when there is a party in the palapa because you will hear that allllll night long.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 1:46 PM, texasdago said:

Either way, the 2 BR suites are awesome.  See if you can get one in the front corners.  Those are awesome EXCEPT when there is a party in the palapa because you will hear that allllll night long.

But tbh you'll hear those palapa parties all night long from anywhere in Ixchel. 

Also, the 2 BR suites farthest from the beach, above the lobby in phase one are huge and fantastic. L-shaped, with a bigger living area & a bigger balcony. They face directly toward the beach. We used to stay in the one on the 2nd floor. It was owned by the guy who owned Beaver Liquors in Beaver Creek. /csb

I say phase 1 because we never stayed in anything like that in phase 2. I assume they have something similar there, but not certain.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/30/2020 at 3:51 PM, Buzzrock said:

I doubt the email I received is a scam, but I still don’t love sending money to a random PayPal address. The food bank is a good idea.

On 3/30/2020 at 9:38 PM, VABuckeye said:

Man I love Isla. I feel for the people there. 

in addition (or as an alternative to food bank donations), If any of you guys have friends/favorite bartenders/taxi drivers/waiters/etc.. down there, please hit them up on Xoom/Paypal with $20 (or whatever) and say dinner is on you. The peso is crashing right now and your USD buys a shitload more than it did the last time you were there (24 to 1 right now).

They will seriously appreciate and remember it. My roommates in Cozumel have been out of work for 2+ weeks and are only surviving because they aren't paying rent (we're covering it for as long as possible).

• Like 2

On 3/30/2020 at 9:38 PM, VABuckeye said:

Man I love Isla. I feel for the people there. 

This here.

Been checking in on the Ixchel webcam from time to time, and Playa Norte is just completely empty. It's heartbreaking ... both for the people there, and just because I wanna be there so bad.

Edited by wood

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

and they are definitely ramping up for June tourism

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fsipse.com%2Fnovedades%2Fconfirmado-aerolineas-reactivaran-sus-vuelos-hacia-cancun-turismo-aeropuerto-363526.html

The Quintana Roo Tourism Promotion Council (CPTQ) announced the tourist revival of the state, with the restart of operations of the airlines from June , so they are preparing a special campaign that will be launched in late May.

Darío Flota Ocampo, director of the state agency, mentioned that airlines from Canada, the United States and Europe have already confirmed that their arrivals in the Mexican Caribbean, which is expected to reactivate mainly convention and wedding tourism. The campaign they list is focused on promoting and reactivating the sector.

“Some of the airlines that through virtual meetings have announced that they are resuming their operations at the Cancun International Airport are Air Canada, Air Transat, Delta Airlines, Copa Airlines, Air Europa, Sunwing, Southwest, and Aeroméxico that will start their flights from United States and Canada ”, he explained.

• Like 1

Good news re: the beach erosion I posted about a while ago, which resulted from the hurricane damaging the anti-erosion sandbags ...

This was March 2016:

photo0jpg.jpg

March 2018:

Aerial_Isla_Mujeres_(42691235715).jpg

In this shot you can see the destroyed bladders in the water off the point. The beach used to go all the way out there.

aerial-shot-playa-norte-isla-600w-141580

It's gotten worse since then, but I just found out that a new anti-erosion sandbag/bladder has been installed by the Mayan Beach Club/Nautibeach in late 2019, and the beach has already improved a lot. Ixchel and the businesses in front of the hotel have also just agreed to purchase and install two new bladders to help reclaim the sand. They should be installed in the next month or so. One will go in the water by Chimbos and the other by Palapa Leidy (which is where the damaged one is in front of Ixchel. Hopefully this will help with the erosion on this part of the beach.

Edited by wood
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The QRoo governor just basically said that barring a catastrophe, we're open on June 10th.

https://www.riviera-maya-news.com/cancun-riviera-maya-could-see-tourism-reopen-by-june-10/2020.html?fbclid=IwAR3rn4fonKa7MP6ZiQJ_liUyEOWgaQQ0Kkwz9AAIXHwM1tEPsEnr3uyLLWc

For Quintana Roo tourism is an essential activity and we will fight for it to be recognized, reactivate it gradually and recover our economy. If so, we would receive the first tourists between June 8 and 10 with strict health protocols, prioritizing health care. #TogetherWe'll Go Forward See Less

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wood said:

Hmm ... July in Isla is sounding pretty good. I wonder if travel will be a big problem.

It won't. I'm driving from Austin to Cozumel next week and don't anticipate any issues. Mexico has never stopped issuing tourist visas (FMMs) since the initial March "travel restriction/ban". Flying is even easier.

One of the guys on scubaboard was talking about flying from DFW to CZM last week on AA. He was sitting close to a US couple who were headed to a Tulum Airbnb. He had to give them the bad news that their Airbnb host was a lying shitbag, that all the beaches/bars/restaurants/ruins were closed and they would basically be trapped in their Airbnb for a week. Mexican immigration gave zero fucks about them.

3 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

It does sound good but I can tell you it’s hot as hades.  We were there last July. 

I don't mind it. We've been in July several times. It's hot, but it's always been cooler there than it is in Austin while we're away.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

It won't. I'm driving from Austin to Cozumel next week and don't anticipate any issues. Mexico has never stopped issuing tourist visas (FMMs) since the initial March "travel restriction/ban". Flying is even easier.

One of the guys on scubaboard was talking about flying from DFW to CZM last week on AA. He was sitting close to a US couple who were headed to a Tulum Airbnb. He had to give them the bad news that their Airbnb host was a lying shitbag, that all the beaches/bars/restaurants/ruins were closed and they would basically be trapped in their Airbnb for a week. Mexican immigration gave zero fucks about them.

Yeah I wonder how long it'll take for a decent amount of that stuff to open back up...

7 hours ago, wood said:

I don't mind it. We've been in July several times. It's hot, but it's always been cooler there than it is in Austin while we're away.

Isla will probably be one of the first places we hit.  Sitting around shooting the shit with Fredy at his place and eating at Bastos again are both high on my ist.

17 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

If the big grocery store in Tulum is open just buy groceries and booze and sit on the gorgeous beach and drink

5 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

If the big grocery store in Tulum is open just buy groceries and booze and sit on the gorgeous beach and drink

The beaches are closed. If you try to hang out on a beach in QRoo right now, you either get arrested or heavily fined.

I'm expecting that to change first week of June.

54 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Last time we were on Isla we saw some Colorado plates. Sounds like an exciting journey if you have your mordidas ready.

I'll have my buddy with me who is a Mexican citizen. I generally let him do all the talking.

Mordidas are nothing to worry about. Just continue being polite and ask for the ticket. They don't want to write a ticket.

44 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Just fyi, SWA pushed Mexico flights back to July 1.  

Yeah, they did that yesterday. They are just not taking new reservations to keep the middle seats empty. They will still be flying in June to Mexico and honoring existing bookings.

32 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I'm pretty sure this is a new update today.  No SWA international service before July 1.  

Yep. The rep I talked to said this was a notice they just got at noon today. No big deal, I was flying back on AA, just had SW booked as a backup.