Just got back from Isla Mujeres

wood

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Mahahual now. Tulum on Sunday for a few days then on to Cozumel.

One of my favorite beach bars is near the southern tip of Cozumel.  Freedom in Paradise (aka Rasta's) but unfortunately it still shows as temporarily closed.

Edited by VABuckeye

7 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Damn bro. The cartels dont fuck with yall?

No cartel issues but my buddy got hit with a seatbelt ticket in Chiapas. I kept telling him to put his fucking seatbelt on but he'd take it back off 5 minutes into the drive. We passed though an Estat checkpoint and the officers waved us to the side. As  soon as they came to my window  I knew it was gonna be some made up BS, but they immediately pointed at my friend and said "no seatbelt".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

One of my favorite beach bars is near the southern tip of Cozumel.  Freedom in Paradise (aka Rasta's) but unfortunately it still shows as temporarily closed.

Didn't that place used to be called Bob Marley's a while back? I always liked Mezcalito's, with the 'Nekkid Beach', up on the northern end of the road. It's not showing up as being closed right now, but who knows.

6 hours ago, wood said:

Didn't that place used to be called Bob Marley's a while back? I always liked Mezcalito's, with the 'Nekkid Beach', up on the northern end of the road. It's not showing up as being closed right now, but who knows.

Yep. Aka Bob Marley Bar.  Want weed on Cozumel?  It’s the place to go. 

Last time we were on Isla we saw some Colorado plates. Sounds like an exciting journey if you have your mordidas ready.

We got the shake down driving from Cancun to Holbox. We outright refused and they let us go but not before they tried to intimidate and threaten to take us back to Cancun for a “night of processing” our ticket.

On 6/20/2020 at 12:52 AM, troph said:

We got the shake down driving from Cancun to Holbox. We outright refused and they let us go but not before they tried to intimidate and threaten to take us back to Cancun for a “night of processing” our ticket.

Fuck that.  I'll just avoid it altogether.  No driving for me.

Fuck that.  I'll just avoid it altogether.  No driving for me.

I don’t need it again but it’s a great story to tell now. I’m actually not that worried traveling in predominately tourist areas. The border - uh no. I helped a Mexican National who got a six figure in US dollars shake down, jail time threatened, life threatened, and he want to file to asylum after a friend told him to just go illegal. College educated, paid well in Mexico. He was in deep doo doo. Got him cleared of all charges but wow. The border is infinitely worse.

On 6/19/2020 at 8:30 AM, rage-a-holic said:

Curfew on Cozumel is now 9pm so it's a lot more back to normal. Dove with nurse and reef sharks, eagle rays, dolphins and speared a shitload of lion fish yesterday. Then topped it off by watching the locals catch a rogue croc by the ferry.

pez-lion-on-aldora-adventure-dive.png

aldora-rainbow.png

croc-capture.png

A croc in town by the ferry pier? Got damn! That's cray. How big? 

11 hours ago, wood said:

A croc in town by the ferry pier? Got damn! That's cray. How big? 

He was maybe 6-7 feet. They just caught a bigger one at Pancho Burger a little farther north.

This is an article on the one we saw.

https://noticaribe.com.mx/2020/06/19/militares-capturan-cocodrilo-que-paseaba-cerca-del-muelle-fiscal-de-cozumel/#jp-carousel-416799

Edited by rage-a-holic

Aw ... hell no. WTF? I mean I knew there are crocs down there. Saw one in a little roadside "zoo" once that was absolutely massive, but those are way too damn close for comfort.

Ah, ok ... 

He stressed that aquatic and tourist activities have stopped due to the contingency, which is why it has been common to find crocodiles in various areas due to the low presence of humans on the island's boardwalk.

Edited by wood

20 minutes ago, wood said:

Aw ... hell no. WTF? I mean I knew there are crocs down there. Saw one in a little roadside "zoo" once that was absolutely massive, but those are way too damn close for comfort.

Ah, ok ... 

Yeah, not uncommon to see them on the side of the road or in pools/ponds right now. The couple I dove with said they saw a lot on the golf course. We're driving on the east side today and I expect we'll see some. I've snorkeled with them in Banco Chinchorro so they don't really bother me anymore.

You can see some croc snorkeling here:

Edited by rage-a-holic

• 2 months later...

Not Isla, but just got in today after spending a week at the Andaz Mayakoba just north of Playa Del Carmen. Really nice resort, especially if you like to golf as they have a PGA course there.
We went to visit our first grandchild, born on the 18th. Santiago Thomas says hello to all my fellow assholes.60372fb67bdcbeeb0df0cba32863b9c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Not Isla, but just got in today after spending a week at the Andaz Mayakoba just north of Playa Del Carmen. Really nice resort, especially if you like to golf as they have a PGA course there.
We went to visit our first grandchild, born on the 18th. Santiago Thomas says hello to all my fellow assholes.60372fb67bdcbeeb0df0cba32863b9c0.jpg

I mean I like it but not that much. 

Can you zoom out just a tad?
Would like to get a more overall gander at young jimmy santiago.

On 6/27/2020 at 9:37 AM, rage-a-holic said:

Yeah, not uncommon to see them on the side of the road or in pools/ponds right now. The couple I dove with said they saw a lot on the golf course. We're driving on the east side today and I expect we'll see some. I've snorkeled with them in Banco Chinchorro so they don't really bother me anymore.

You can see some croc snorkeling here:

20136f8d-f8f7-48a2-8ff6-fc4adf515ed1_tex

Hmm ...

Beaches opening today on Isla! There are actually beach chairs out in front of Ixchel for the first time in months: 

Scroll down a bit: 

"Beaches reopening subject to safety guidelines but it will not be for everyone
The consumption of food, alcoholic beverages will not be allowed, nor would access to vulnerable groups, including diabetics, hypertensive people, those over 60 years of age or with respiratory problems or smoking

With the announcement of Governor Carlos Joaquín to go to the yellow traffic light, the possibility of opening the beaches to the public is finally open, however, this measure would not apply to everyone, since vulnerable groups would be out of all possibility, including people people over 60 years old, diabetics, hypertensive or with a respiratory problem.

In addition to this, alcoholic beverages may not be consumed on the beaches, nor will the consumption of food be allowed.

The governor said that with the traffic light in Amarillo it will come into effect as of September 7 and clarified that we should not lower our guard, much less be more flexible with hygiene measures and healthy distance."

https://tvqroo.com.mx/noticias-estado-de-quintana-roo-hoy-tvqroo/reapertura-de-playas-sujeta-a-lineamientos-de-seguridad-pero-no-sera-para-todos/?feed_id=5841&_unique_id=5f525fa571ee5&Reapertura de Playas sujeta a lineamientos de seguridad pero no será para todos&fbclid=IwAR0flWZUraC4bWHGUtGXavErmFbwsQgrprAz1em-sPikRDYCHtckonyWHSI

Edited by wood

8 hours ago, wood said:

Hmmm ... debating on whether or not to pull the trigger on a Thanksgiving or Christmas on Isla ...

Isla Mujeres opens beaches with restrictions https://www.riviera-maya-news.com/isla-mujeres-opens-beaches-with-restrictions/2020.html

If I can talk my wife into it I’ll be there with you, man. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Somehow I'm off for the week after Christmas this year, so I'm toying with the idea of making this our boys' intro trip to Mexico (15yo and 13yo), and it would the first visit to Isla for my wife and I (we usually do the lazy gringo thing at El Dorado Casitas).  What's it like at that time?  Does it get bonkers down there for NYE?  We're usually more chill-on-the beach types, especially given current circumstances.

Is Secreto a no-go for kids that age?  Looked like Ixchel might be a good spot?  Any other places to look?  I'm fine with a condo but I'm sure as hell not planning on cooking.

8 hours ago, Damor said:

Somehow I'm off for the week after Christmas this year, so I'm toying with the idea of making this our boys' intro trip to Mexico (15yo and 13yo), and it would the first visit to Isla for my wife and I (we usually do the lazy gringo thing at El Dorado Casitas).  What's it like at that time?  Does it get bonkers down there for NYE?  We're usually more chill-on-the beach types, especially given current circumstances.

Is Secreto a no-go for kids that age?  Looked like Ixchel might be a good spot?  Any other places to look?  I'm fine with a condo but I'm sure as hell not planning on cooking.

not sure the budget, but Privilege Aluxes has a two bedroom unit.  Plenty of privacy between the two rooms.

Thanks, unfortunately Aluxes is out of 2bdrm units that week.  Was thinking about getting a couple rooms at Secreto -- definitely not going to Isla and sharing a room with those two knuckleheads.  Just didn't know if kids aren't part of the vibe there.