Just got back from Isla Mujeres

wood

Thanks, unfortunately Aluxes is out of 2bdrm units that week.  Was thinking about getting a couple rooms at Secreto -- definitely not going to Isla and sharing a room with those two knuckleheads.  Just didn't know if kids aren't part of the vibe there.

We got a penthouse condo during the summer that was really cheap. Golf cart ride to the beach.

http://www.isla33.com

They have listings on Airbnb.

But I’m hoping to be back there the same week you are with friends in a rental house.

On 9/24/2020 at 9:47 PM, Damor said:

Thanks, unfortunately Aluxes is out of 2bdrm units that week.  Was thinking about getting a couple rooms at Secreto -- definitely not going to Isla and sharing a room with those two knuckleheads.  Just didn't know if kids aren't part of the vibe there.

I'm biased for Ixchel. We always get a full 2 bedroom unit there. Great for a family of 4+

Fuck it, Dude.  Let's go to Isla.

Just booked SWA flights, went ahead and did two rooms at Secreto since I could book through a CC portal and get some point bonuses.

Started this thread over from the beginning and I'll be back with preguntas estupidas.  I already have so many restaurants bookmarked that we'll have to eat five meals a day.

11 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

We got a penthouse condo during the summer that was really cheap. Golf cart ride to the beach.

http://www.isla33.com

They have listings on Airbnb.

But I’m hoping to be back there the same week you are with friends in a rental house.

I assume this is the same place.

https://www.everythingislamujeres.com/vacation-rentals-overview/mid-island-·-caribbean-side/isla-33/

your link didn’t work for me.

speaking of work, how was the wifi there, that place looks perfect for a week stay,  but I’d like the option of doing work stuff some days  

9 hours ago, Damor said:

Just booked SWA flights, went ahead and did two rooms at Secreto since I could book through a CC portal and get some point bonuses.

Started this thread over from the beginning and I'll be back with preguntas estupidas.  I already have so many restaurants bookmarked that we'll have to eat five meals a day.

Nice! How much for the plane tix?

9 hours ago, Damor said:

2 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Tell the people at Secreto VABuckeye said hi.  Victor will take care of your every need.  Tell him what you want for lunch and when and it will be there.  I'd have the whole baked fish with achiote paste one day for lunch.

I think we talked about Victor before & determined he was the same Victor who used to work at Ixchel 1 at the grill by the pool. VERY cool guy. We used to bring him Texas hats & shirts every trip. Tell him Terri (crazy Mexican chick ... redundant, I know. No more pics) & Tim said Hola! 

Edited by wood

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

I assume this is the same place.

https://www.everythingislamujeres.com/vacation-rentals-overview/mid-island-·-caribbean-side/isla-33/

your link didn’t work for me.

speaking of work, how was the wifi there, that place looks perfect for a week stay,  but I’d like the option of doing work stuff some days  

Yup, 1301 is the unit we rented. It was awesome. Wifi worked fine as far as I recall, I definitley did some work while I was there.

Two tips: do NOT overload the private elevator. We did and got it stuck. There is no emergency phone and no cell service. We managed to pry the door open and get out but it was scary for a few minutes. Totally our fault. 

The master shower is high-up but pretty much completely visible from the road. I learned to just get a kick out of it. Feast your eyes everyone!

Also the little bar there is nice, and the restaurant is good. If Annie is still tending bar tip her well and get some strong margaritas. She knows the good day clubs too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Buzzrock said:

Yup, 1301 is the unit we rented. It was awesome. Wifi worked fine as far as I recall, I definitley did some work while I was there.

Two tips: do NOT overload the private elevator. We did and got it stuck. There is no emergency phone and no cell service. We managed to pry the door open and get out but it was scary for a few minutes. Totally our fault. 

The master shower is high-up but pretty much completely visible from the road. I learned to just get a kick out of it. Feast your eyes everyone!

Also the little bar there is nice, and the restaurant is good. If Annie is still tending bar tip her well and get some strong margaritas. She knows the good day clubs too. 

Damn, that sucks, Just a little tip I always tell 911 callers when they get stuck in an elevator - if you're stuck and you get the doors open, or if they open on their own and the elevator is between floors, don't climb out. In that position the elevator is more prone to shift, which would, eh, not be good if you're climbing out when it happens.

19 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

We all climbed out but didn’t have much choice. No one around and no cell service. The maintenance guys kinda laughed at us when we told them what happened. And that’s fair. 

Did you establish a pee corner?

8dbfbcaa-8e1d-400b-8b69-ddd519a73fb0_scr

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Anyone know what’s up with travel restrictions?   I get tested every week.  There’s almost no brain left to scrape.  I don’t mind showing all that but don’t want surprises upon returning to the states.  TIA

There aren't any travel restrictions, unless you're trying to get into Mexico driving from Canada.

13 hours ago, wood said:

Nice! How much for the plane tix?

That hurt at $700pp from AUS, but I'm not used to travelling at busy holidays, and that was better than anything else I could find.  Also a direct flight back to AUS which will be vital since we haven't gotten our Global Entry interviews done and I'll be herding the boys back through customs for the first time.

We'll take good care of Victor.

I'm carving may way through the thread (and populating my Google map), but are most places on the island still cash only?  Didn't know if anything had changed since the Rona.

That hurt at $700pp from AUS, but I'm not used to travelling at busy holidays, and that was better than anything else I could find.  Also a direct flight back to AUS which will be vital since we haven't gotten our Global Entry interviews done and I'll be herding the boys back through customs for the first time.

I'm carving may way through the thread (and populating my Google map), but are most places on the island still cash only?  Didn't know if anything had changed since the Rona.

They’re taking interviews now if you just need to schedule them. GE is active immediately after the interview. No need to wait for the card.

On 9/27/2020 at 2:23 AM, Damor said:

I would imagine they'd almost all still be cash only and happy for any extra you can give. 

14 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Tell me what hotel or resort  (Not All Inclusive) you would recommend?  Our group has never been, is used to BZE  and CR and doing the local thing for meals and bars ....... looking for the real IM experience instead of something out of a can. 

I always recommend Privilege Aluxes. 

Private outdoor jacuzzi

Private beach right off of North Beach

Triple pool is about a 2 minute walk from the beach 

Don't have to purchase All-Inclusive

Easily Walkable to all the restaurants on Hildago

In house golf cart rental

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 1

I'd like to take my boys fishing for a day.  I've seen Keen M recommended on here, is that the consensus?  I saw a rec for Obsession on the Fishing thread, but this will be their first offshore trip (and might as well be mine), so that experience seems like it would be wasted on us, plus we could probably go out twice with Keen for that price.

What's the skeeter situation on Isla?  We've never been bitten in the PdC area, but I didn't know if I should pack the DEET.

On 10/13/2020 at 8:53 PM, Reagan1k said:

Tell me what hotel or resort  (Not All Inclusive) you would recommend?  Our group has never been, is used to BZE  and CR and doing the local thing for meals and bars ....... looking for the real IM experience instead of something out of a can. 

Hotel Secreto is amazing. We won’t stay anywhere else. 

Also I'm not sure when USA Transfers was last mentioned, but they are easily the best choice for getting to the ferry and back to the airport. There is also one that works the Mexico City airport (not sure if it's the same people) and they are great as well.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Also I'm not sure when USA Transfers was last mentioned, but they are easily the best choice for getting to the ferry and back to the airport. There is also one that works the Mexico City airport (not sure if it's the same people) and they are great as well.

I only use USA Transfers!

Current itinerary and I cant wait.

day 1- ritz and Harry's in cancun.

day 2-5 Privileges, golf carts, playa norte, hidalgo, fun, more fun, relaxation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Keen M is the answer. You can try offshore for Sails or keep them busy by doing bottom fishing trip.

Thank you!

I may look at doing a day and a half or two days so they can try out both.

I'll ask them, of course, but any recommendations on what size boat to request (41, 36, 34ft)?  I don't have enough experience to know the advantages/disadvantages of each.

On 10/14/2020 at 3:50 PM, Damor said:

I'd like to take my boys fishing for a day.  I've seen Keen M recommended on here, is that the consensus?  I saw a rec for Obsession on the Fishing thread, but this will be their first offshore trip (and might as well be mine), so that experience seems like it would be wasted on us, plus we could probably go out twice with Keen for that price.

What's the skeeter situation on Isla?  We've never been bitten in the PdC area, but I didn't know if I should pack the DEET.

I've been out with both.

Keen M is great, but the Obsession is a much better boat and we caught a lot more fish. Obsession has been winter sailfishing IM for years, but they did take the last year or two off to fish the Bahamas for the winter. They are serious bidness.

• 3 weeks later...

Isla erosion talk not going away. Y'all know I've talked about the erosion along Playa Norte in the past. I like to keep up with the Playa Norte webcam, and I've noticed that even right in front of Ixchel, the beach is eroding badly. It's gotten so bad that the water now comes up almost to (and maybe into) the building at Chimbo's, right up to the palm trees. In front of Ixchel, it's coming in even farther than that. I was told a few months ago that they were about to erect 2 or 3 of those anti-erosion bladders (you know, the 'whales') to create eddys, re-accumulating sand to build the beach back up.  Welp, that never happened. Still pending gubment approval. I'm guessing the slow in tourism dollars due to covid put that shit on hold. Meanwhile, the golden goose is washing away. 

I think it's also already been mentioned here, too, about the dangerous erosion and rock slides/falls along the east side and esp at Punta Sur. Seems that's getting worse as well...

Article from Por Esto this morning, Google translation:

ISLA MUJERES, October 3.- The rockfall on the cliffs of Isla Mujeres intensifies; in less than six months three events took place, the last one took place this Wednesday in Punta Sur, in the middle of the visitors' expectation there was a huge breakdown.

The area where the incident occurred was already protected, the cliffs of Punta Sur are considered dangerous by Civil Protection, because following the fall of a French tourist a few months ago by the viewpoint, he put out lines to avoid a new accident.

With the fall of the rock segment of several tons this site is reduced more and more, urgent shoring up, service providers agree, worried about this fact. "It will arrive with time that the entire segment where the Mayan shrine‘ Ixchel ’is crumbling," said one of them worried.

These breakdowns in the eastern part of Isla Mujeres worry neighbors, especially the owners of homes near this area, who fear that their buildings may be affected by the collapse in these areas.

The most sensitive points are on the Caribbean boardwalk, on the Isla 33 condominium, there would be a breakdown at any time that could affect the perimeter road. On one side, the sidewalk is already insecure, has a cavity below, as can be seen.

We unveiled in this space, on May 12, the breaking up of a large rock by the proximity of the La Guadalupana colony, presumably because of vibrations caused by the machinery that Aguakan hired to open ditch for wastewater pipeline, months before.

In the same case, the second case, on August 31, announced the fall of rock at the mouth of Isla Contoy Avenue, in the colony of La Gloria, days later, Civil Protection went to place tape to prevent the passage of visitors to prevent accidents.

Days later, the neighbors were alarmed by the beginning of the swelling of piles to build housing for tourist use 100 meters away, because with new vibrations there would be more rockfalls. They asked the municipal authority to cancel the project and keep the area as a green reserve.

By the way, the first “shoring” that was made in Isla Mujeres, was raised by the cliff of Punta Sus, in 1998, by the Xcaret Group consortium, when the administration of the Garrafón park entered into force, which along with this sector incorporated its 30-year use of this public good, through a trust. To avoid the disappearance of the goddess Ixchel shrine, it was reinforced by the bottom; To date it remains solid where it was served.

• Like 1

Just got another update from the same guy... 

No it’s not a money issue. I’m an owner at ixchel our homeowners association has approved the money. It’s that the “property” is owned by Mexico and we need the governments approval to install the bladders or we risk substantial fines. The approvals take time and more money.

I will let you know when I have an update.

• 1 month later...

One week out.  Fingers crossed hoping things go off.  Anything unexpected, @riloh05?

Booked a full day offshore and a half day bottom fishing with KeenM, and revisiting my list of restaurants.

I've got a tempting lead on a saltwater fly fishing rig (haven't ever done it).  Would it be worth taking?  It doesn't sound like there are a lot of wading/shore fishing opportunities aside from maybe North Beach, where it would seem like kind of an assholeish thing to do.

My liver is tanned, rested, and ready.

I'm going to have to go back through and reread this thread since it's been a while, but here's my restaurant list.  Let me know what I'm missing.

Basto's (figure this will get a couple visits)
North Garden (likewise, expect several breakfasts here as chilaquiles are my jam)
Fredy's (Recommendations?  Google says pork chop?)
Ballyhoo
Marbella
Fuego del Mar
Olivia
The Joint
El Varadero
Polo's Mango Cafe
Angelo
La Playita
La Lomita

Any specific recommendations at those places?

I figure we''ll take the boys to hang out at Mayan Beach Club and/or Tuturreque a couple days.  I think I saw those recommended.

17 hours ago, Damor said:

One week out.  Fingers crossed hoping things go off.  Anything unexpected, @riloh05?

Booked a full day offshore and a half day bottom fishing with KeenM, and revisiting my list of restaurants.

I've got a tempting lead on a saltwater fly fishing rig (haven't ever done it).  Would it be worth taking?  It doesn't sound like there are a lot of wading/shore fishing opportunities aside from maybe North Beach, where it would seem like kind of an assholeish thing to do.

My liver is tanned, rested, and ready.

fly/wade fish on dog beach...Caribbean side. Hit up your spots, over tip for good service as the islanders need it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks.

Is the HSBC ATM still preferred?  I'm a bit nervous as I've never used my little credit union debit card outside of the US.  Cash is so quaint.

And I know Isla is chill, but are we OK going to most places in (dry) swimsuits?  Will probably do Bastos after a day on that end of the island.  Pictures seem like it would be fine, but don't want to be more asshole American than necessary.

8 hours ago, Damor said:

I'm going to have to go back through and reread this thread since it's been a while, but here's my restaurant list.  Let me know what I'm missing.

Basto's (figure this will get a couple visits)
North Garden (likewise, expect several breakfasts here as chilaquiles are my jam)
Fredy's (Recommendations?  Google says pork chop?)
Ballyhoo
Marbella
Fuego del Mar
Olivia
The Joint
El Varadero
Polo's Mango Cafe
Angelo
La Playita
La Lomita

Any specific recommendations at those places?

I figure we''ll take the boys to hang out at Mayan Beach Club and/or Tuturreque a couple days.  I think I saw those recommended.

I wasn't a fan of Olivia.  At The Joint go for breakfast and get the breakfast mojitos.  On the way back hit Soggy Peso.  Careful with the matgaritas.  Very strong.  I believe THursday is cheeseburger day.  El Varadero wasn't authentic Cuban food but it was good.  At Fredy's I usually get a steak.  Mango Cafe for breakfast.  I know the people here love Ballyhoo but I've found it to be hit and miss.  Still the setting is perfect and the drinks are strong.

• Hook 'Em 1