Just got back from Isla Mujeres

wood

Welp, that family of 4 that went to sleep & never woke up in Tulum/Akumal ... looks like they were asphyxiated when the condo filled with natural gas.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/03/25/american-family-vacationing-in-mexico-died-from-gas-asphyxiation-officials-say/?utm_term=.767cbf19bdc2

An Iowa couple and their two children who were found dead inside their rented Mexico condo had inhaled toxic gas, Mexican authorities said Saturday.

The Quintana Roo state prosecutor’s office said autopsies showed that all four family members, who were staying in Tulum on Mexico’s Caribbean coast, had asphyxiated. Authorities reiterated that there were no signs of foul play.

“Any violent act or suicide has been discounted,” authorities said.

Kevin Wayne Sharp, 41; wife Amy Marie Sharp, 38; Sterling Wayne Sharp, 12, and Adrianna Marie Sharp, 7, were found dead inside the condo Friday after their immediate family members had reported them missing to local police when the Sharps did not return to the United States on Wednesday as originally planned.

Authorities have not yet said where exactly the gas emitted. Photos published by the prosecutor’s office show firemen in respirators and other workers in anti-contamination suits examining gas connections and the unit’s oven. The Sharp family appeared to have been dead for 36 to 48 hours when they were discovered, Mexican authorities said.

Yep ... like when people were telling us not to go to Mx because of Zika or whatever, while more people were sick or dead with it here and airport screening in Mx was much more thorough than it was here. Or  when they told us no to go because of the ferry bombing, when there was a crazy bomber asshole on the rampage here in  Austin ...

Booked condo and flights the first week in June for 10 days. Looking at transfers and Mora's website sucks...  the cost on USATransfers for 2 adults and 2 kids is $65+ round trip.  Does that include the ferry or just the ride to it?

There's a company somewhere around Playa/Akumal/Tulum that does a 4-wheeler ride through the jungle that hits a couple of cenotes, but we always just rent a car and hit different ones here and there. The cenotes are cheap that way, and really good fun.

14 hours ago, Grimas said:

Booked condo and flights the first week in June for 10 days. Looking at transfers and Mora's website sucks...  the cost on USATransfers for 2 adults and 2 kids is $65+ round trip.  Does that include the ferry or just the ride to it?

That’s just the RT transfer, but you can add ferry tickets at time of checking out on USA’s sure.  I just booked with USA a few days ago but didn’t add ferry tickets. I just assumed I’d buy them from the ferry people. Hope I’m right. 

3 hours ago, 3adays said:

That’s just the RT transfer, but you can add ferry tickets at time of checking out on USA’s sure.  I just booked with USA a few days ago but didn’t add ferry tickets. I just assumed I’d buy them from the ferry people. Hope I’m right. 

You can always just buy them at Gran Puerto.

90 days until we are there for a week (June 26-July 3).  Considering extending the trip and taking 4th of July in Isla.  Cant fucking wait for another steak at Bastos.  Is there a record for how many times someone has gone over a week?  Looking to break that.

Staying at Ixchel for the first 5 days then taking a couple of days at Zoetry Villa Rolandi (where we went for our honeymoon).  LFG.

Privileges is a great place. Tip Jamie aka James Bond well. He will hook you up big time. I got engaged there on Xmas and was there February 2017. It has changed a lot (more commercial) but head to the joint down south (you’ll know the when you see it and hear it) and grab some drinks. Rent a golf cart for the day. See the entire island and drive the neighborhoods. It’s awesome. 

Inthink the American sports bar is called Ted’s iirc. Catch the games there. Eat as much seafood ceviche as you can. Keeps your shits good. Room service pizza is stellar. 

When I was there I bought some good weed off a guy working the karaoke bar on the corner of the main restaurant strip. He was young, faux hawk, went by Jonathan. It was good, be careful because it is illegal.  He supplied it rolled and it was good enough to make me freak a little which is just perfect.

When you’re too hungover for beer but too hungover for a mix drink I suggest getting a Dos or corona and pouring some blanco tequila down the neck of the beer. It dulls the beer taste and the tequila taste. Gets the hangover done fast without having to taste a bunch of shit that will make you want to puke. Oh yeah... every time you close a tab out order a bottle or two of water. You’ll never regret that. 

Edited by Jhawk

Worried about my 12 year old twins getting bored with us staying 10 days there...  searched the old thread on the other site but didn't see anything about a day trip taking a car ferry back over to the Cancun hotel strip with bikes.  Worth doing? I'm assuming you can rent bikes on Isla and ferry them over.  Alternative is to take the ferry to the mainland, renting a car and doing a cenoyte trip down south. Do you have to go back to the airport (ferry then taxi) to rent a car for the day? I know you can also catch the bus and get off at Tulumn as I did that a few years ago from Puerto Advevturas...

32 minutes ago, Grimas said:

Worried about my 12 year old twins getting bored with us staying 10 days there...  searched the old thread on the other site but didn't see anything about a day trip taking a car ferry back over to the Cancun hotel strip with bikes.  Worth doing? I'm assuming you can rent bikes on Isla and ferry them over.  Alternative is to take the ferry to the mainland, renting a car and doing a cenoyte trip down south. Do you have to go back to the airport (ferry then taxi) to rent a car for the day? I know you can also catch the bus and get off at Tulumn as I did that a few years ago from Puerto Advevturas...

10 days on the island with kids, yeah, they'll probably run out of things to get excited about. That's one reason we've started splitting time between Playa and the Akumal/Tulum area., generally going down south for 3 or 4 days of cenotes & beaches with waves, and then 4 more days of chillin on Isla.

Not sure about the car ferry. Never been on it. As for renting cars, there are rental locations all over Cancun, and some pretty near Gran Puerto. Re: the bus, yes, you can get a cab from Gran Puerto to the main downtown bus station and take a bus to PdC, Tulum, Akumal, or wherever. 

Edited by wood

9 minutes ago, wood said:

10 days on the island with kids, yeah, they'll probably run out of things to get excited about. That's one reason we've started splitting time between Playa and the Akumal/Tulum area., generally going down south for 3 or 4 days of cenotes & beaches with waves, and then 4 more days of chillin on Isla.

Not sure about the car ferry. Never been on it. As for renting cars, there are rental locations all over Cancun, and some pretty near Gran Puerto. Re: the bus, yes, you can get a cab from Gran Puerto to the main downtown bus station and take a bus to PdC, Tulum, Akumal, or wherever. 

Thanks! In hindsite, I should have split the trip up to do the same but the Isla place is booked already so just looking for the backup plan... (and I meant Akumel, not Tulumn in the earlier post)

Edited by Grimas

Changed my booking tonight....  4 nights at Isla and then headed to Akumel for 5 nights... any easy car rentals near the ferry dock? On the the other thread on the other unnamed site, there was a suggestion of a good rental place that is all inclusive of coverage... Yes, my card covers insurance but I want an easy transition from ferry to car with the least hassle with wife and kids with bags in tow and price be dammed!  Suggestions?

17 minutes ago, Grimas said:

Changed my booking tonight....  4 nights at Isla and then headed to Akumel for 5 nights... any easy car rentals near the ferry dock? On the the other thread on the other unnamed site, there was a suggestion of a good rental place that is all inclusive of coverage... Yes, my card covers insurance but I want an easy transition from ferry to car with the least hassle with wife and kids with bags in tow and price be dammed!  Suggestions?

That's America car rental. They have 3 locations in Cancun, by the airport, downtown, and the hotel zone. The downtown location is probably close to the bus station, but one of the other guys might have a better idea if you should go there or the Hotel Zone. I just made a res yesterday with them for an SUV. /csb

11 minutes ago, wood said:

That's America car rental. They have 3 locations in Cancun, by the airport, downtown, and the hotel zone. The downtown location is probably close to the bus station, but one of the other guys might have a better idea if you should go there or the Hotel Zone. I just made a res yesterday with them for an SUV. /csb

2nd on America. They're the only rental place in the Yucatan I will use. They will probably pick you up from the ferry dock.

http://www.america-carrental.com/en/our_location.html

Edited by rage-a-holic

31 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

2nd on America. They're the only rental place in the Yucatan I will use. They will probably pick you up from the ferry dock.

http://www.america-carrental.com/en/our_location.html

We're returning our car at their airport location before going over to Isla. Do you think they'll give us a ride to the ferry pier?

On 3/27/2018 at 10:16 PM, GrahamCracker said:

Wife and I are headed there in late July early August for a quick getaway to celebrate my 40th birthday.  Narrowed it down to Privileges or Secreto.  Which would y'all recommend?

We’ll only stay at Hotel Secreto from now on. The treatment and service from the staff is superb and the location is perfect.   Quiet at night but close enough to Hidalgo Street and Playa Norte that I can walk to either in a few minutes.  

23 hours ago, Grimas said:

If you're in Akumal with kids for 5 nights, you should check out Xel-Ha (assuming you haven't already been). Kids will love it, plus they have all you can eat buffets everywhere and all you can drink beer stands too. I think they do frozen drinks, but stick with beer.

10 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

If you buy on their website, the all inclusive is $76 for adults and $38 for kids. No idea how that compares to dizney, but my son still remembers our Xel-Ha visit from 2005. It was worth it for us, and I can't really think of a comparable experience for families in that area.

That's not much more than Fiesta Texas, & when they throw in all that food, it's a pretty good deal. We did it several years ago when or boys were only 3 and 5. They're 12 & 14 now & still remember it. 

Now that I'm back at work I thought I would post some thoughts

Privilege Aluxes is in a great location and we didn't even bother renting a cart until our 4th day on the island and we had no trouble walking to anywhere on the north side of the island. The pool was not crowded and the private beach had plenty of spots all week. We tipped the beach waiter $500MX ($27.31 as of today) on our first day and he came rushing back to make sure we knew how much money that was and to verify that it was his tip. The rest of the trip we were given drinks that were "extras that the kitchen made by mistake" and we were treated like royalty. I'd recommend that to anyone interested.

Foodwise we ranked them as...

Really fucking good:

North Garden (ate there twice)

Good:

Mango Cafe

Bally Hoo

Rooster

Overall we liked Isla even with it seeming like the rest of Mexico was vacationing there for Easter Week. Hidalgo Street is annoying to walk through with so many pushy vendors, but still a good time. We did take USA Transfers from the airport to the ferry terminal and we chatted with the driver (knowing Spanish is a plus but not necessary) and had a great drive. We weren't sure what time we were leaving the port for the airport on the way back so we winged it and took a taxi. The dude tried to rip us off saying we had to pay the $1500MX+ rate for >3 people in the car then when we called him on that he proceeded to tell us we had to pay the equivalent of the $75USD in pesos which came out to $1300MX by his calculation even though the rate sheet clearly stated $900ish if paying in pesos. We argued in Spanish for the entire trip with the girlfriend really getting into it so watch out if you have to take a taxi anywhere. We'll be back, but I don't think we're looking to be every year Isla people.

Yep.  Always do transfers in Cancun.  Avoid the cabbies like the plague.

I'm guessing he didn't eat at Bastos if it didn't make his list.

RE:Hidalgo Street.  It's only annoying if you let it be.  A simple no gracias suffices 99.99% of the time.  They're just trying to make a living.

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

Yep.  Always do transfers in Cancun.  Avoid the cabbies like the plague.

I'm guessing he didn't eat at Bastos if it didn't make his list.

RE:Hidalgo Street.  It's only annoying if you let it be.  A simple no gracias suffices 99.99% of the time.  They're just trying to make a living.

Yep and Hildago Street was still fun just weren't many bolillos there this week so I got a bit extra. On the cab we did discuss price before getting in but he switched it up in the cab and said he had always said that much. We only spoke to him in Spanish too so there wasn't a translation issue or anything like that. We'll be using USA both ways from now on. No we didn't make it to Bastos and I regret it.

Edited by SimonBolivar

On 4/6/2018 at 8:14 AM, Grimas said:

Looks like the family that died in Acumal was due to a leaky propane tank.  Gonna pack a carbon monoxide alarm in the suitcase for my trip down there in June...

Just FYI a CO detector isn't going to help you with a gas leak, but they do sell detectors that detect just gas leaks or both gas and CO.

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:14 AM, Grimas said:

Looks like the family that died in Acumal was due to a leaky propane tank.  Gonna pack a carbon monoxide alarm in the suitcase for my trip down there in June...

Or if it's propane you're worried about, you could just pack your nose. How do you not smell leaking propane? 

3 hours ago, TornACL said:

Or if it's propane you're worried about, you could just pack your nose. How do you not smell leaking propane? 

Propane/natural gas are odorless but have mercaptan (the stuff that smells like rotten eggs) added so we can smell 'em ... but then that whole family slept through their leak, & it's happened before. That's where a monitor comes in handy. There have also been weird cases of leaks that were initially undetected because there was no mercaptan for some reason.