Just got back from Isla Mujeres

wood

On 7/5/2023 at 9:50 PM, rage-a-holic said:

wtf. Bourbon in Mexico? Why?

You sound like the okies I see posting on Cozumel groups who ask about the best bars with white claw and miller lite on tap.

This was my first thought.  When in Mexico, it is tequila and mezcal for me.  Then again, when at home it is tequila and mezcal for me.  

• Like 1

Keen M, it is whale shark season so hit that up they will enjoy it. Bring a gopro if you have one

I just did this trip. It is amazing, but it is a long day. You only get a minute or two with them as there are a lot of boats out there. I don’t need to do it again, but I’m glad I did it.
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Hate said:

I just did this trip. It is amazing, but it is a long day. You only get a minute or two with them as there are a lot of boats out there. I don’t need to do it again, but I’m glad I did it.

I enjoy it a lot more in La Paz. The whale sharks hang out in the bay and are a 15 minute boat ride from the marina. The number of boats are heavily regulated so no swarming. Out last trip we didn't leave until we were tired of swimming.

3 hours ago, Hate said:

Tequila for me is a no go. Everyone has that liquor that enable their “bad” alter ego and tequila is it for me. Nothing will give my wife something to bitch about more than me getting drunk on tequila.

I think I have a pic of that.

Same. We did it a few weeks ago. I appreciate having done it but it’s damn near an all day commitment.

A few other questions for the group.   We are arriving at approximately the same time.   Them from MIA and me from IAH.  945ish.   The condo guy says $80 for all three of us to transfer to the ferry terminal.  That looks to be inline with what I'm seeing on the interwebs so I might let him book that.   He does want $80 a day for a cart.  The same interwebs say I can do it for $65 a day.  Is that correct?  

Our condo is way south so it looks like we will need a cart probably for most of the week. 

We are staying at Sotavento Isla.  I have 3 days where I can cancel if anyone feels very strongly against the location

http://goo.gl/maps/727wNGa38gXYjYTQ9

Edited by midtown

47 minutes ago, midtown said:

A few other questions for the group.   We are arriving at approximately the same time.   Them from MIA and me from IAH.  945ish.   The condo guy says $80 for all three of us to transfer to the ferry terminal.  That looks to be inline with what I'm seeing on the interwebs so I might let him book that.   He does want $80 a day for a cart.  The same interwebs say I can do it for $65 a day.  Is that correct?  

Our condo is way south so it looks like we will need a cart probably for most of the week. 

We are staying at Sotavento Isla.  I have 3 days where I can cancel if anyone feels very strongly against the location

http://goo.gl/maps/727wNGa38gXYjYTQ9

We got a cart through our hotel and I think we paid $80.  The good thing is that they had the cart waiting for us outside, gassed up and ready to go and they topped off the gas when needed so it was easy.  We stayed maybe three minutes from your location... we liked it.  Its easy to cruise back into the centro from there.  

8 minutes ago, midtown said:

Anyone want to or have knowledge of the ability to bring gummies through CUN? 

Nurse likes to take a gummie, send her teen son to bed, put on music and spend a few hours being tied up.

This sounds like the beginning of a Dateline story.  "He was simply trying to bring in gummies on his dream vacation to Mexico..."

Nurse likes to take a gummie, send her teen son to bed, put on music and spend a few hours being tied up.

I have no idea to be honest. I never had my bag checked leaving the airport and I didn’t notice it happening to any else. I doubt they are that worried about people bringing drugs into Mexico, but I’m also not sure it’s worth the risk.

10 minutes ago, Hate said:

I have no idea to be honest. I never had my bag checked leaving the airport and I didn’t notice it happening to any else. I doubt they are that worried about people bringing drugs into Mexico, but I’m also not sure it’s worth the risk.

Sitting at the Puerto Juarez terminal a couple of years ago waiting the head to Isla, we watched the Marinas check bags, test some substance they found in one, and haul some poor bastard off in cuffs.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, midtown said:

I've brought gummies and as much as 1/8th of flower on multiple trips. Last trip I wasn't carrying and got my bags searched. They made me count out all my cash (I had about 6 grand because the lodge owner gives me a cash discount, plus tips for guides and stuff)  Buddy and his son got pulled too. They took his son's Juul and cartridges, but didn't find my buddie's weed. I think they're mainly looking for stuff they can charge a duty on, and making sure you aren't smuggling in a lot of cash. 

I've also noticed I get pulled more often when I take the direct AUS-CUN flight on SWA. I think it's because Terminal 4 is much less crowded than Terminal 3 (where AA and most of the legacy majors arrive) and the customs guys have more free time and fewer people to sort through. 3 is so much easier to navigate I think it's worth it, though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/2/2023 at 7:49 AM, midtown said:

I carried gummies all over Europe and Mexico from May-June. I bought a big bag of gummie bears from Walmart, then emptied half of it out and filled it back up with a mix of gummie types, plus the Delta 9's. In 5 weeks and a dozen airports, no one ever looked at it once.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back.   

Overall an excellent place and this might become my go to as far as "I need a few days in the sand" but I still think that's Belize for me.  This would be more take a bimbo out of the country.

My fwb loved the beach clubs.   

Its not cheap at all.  We were blowing through the cash like crazy. 

Being south is nice to get away from the town and have some peace and quiet but you need a golf cart so budget $80 a day for that.

Fuck going in August.  The heat and humidity are like SE Asia.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, midtown said:

Just got back.   

Overall an excellent place and this might become my go to as far as "I need a few days in the sand" but I still think that's Belize for me.  This would be more take a bimbo out of the country.

Being south is nice to get away from the town and have some peace and quiet but you need a golf cart so budget $80 a day for that.

Which beach clubs did y'all try?

Zaza. Nomads. Piacere and Kin Ha.  I put those in order of preference.   We also went back for the fire show at Nomads.  That was pretty awesome
My friends son wanted to see the Ice Bar like he wouldn't stop talking about.  So that's kind of a beach club but we left pretty quickly.  What a dump

• Like 1

2 hours ago, midtown said:

Just got back.   

Try Cozumel next time.

planning a trip for late october with the wife. we did playa del carmen about 12 years ago and we loved it, but more recently did isla and also loved it.

wife wants to try playa again but i'm concerned about the possibility of seaweed whcih you don't see in playa norte. any ideas on status of playa nowadays?

On 8/17/2023 at 11:13 AM, midtown said:

Zaza. Nomads. Piacere and Kin Ha.  I put those in order of preference.   We also went back for the fire show at Nomads.  That was pretty awesome
My friends son wanted to see the Ice Bar like he wouldn't stop talking about.  So that's kind of a beach club but we left pretty quickly.  What a dump

I loved Nomads... that little palm covered area is great and, yes, we saw the fire show too.  Its a great little spot.  Kin Ha was below our hotel.  We didn't hang out there much, at all.  For Zaza, I'm assuming you mean Zama?  The original location was awesome - closer to Nomads area.

Yeah.  I like Nomads the best because of all the shaded palm trees and the pool was cool.  My fwb didnt like it because the water was just a tiny bit murky.  She's a giant pain in the ass.   

It was definitely Zaza.  https://www.tripadvisor.in/Restaurant_Review-g150810-d25969691-Reviews-Zaza_Yacht_Beach_Club-Isla_Mujeres_Yucatan_Peninsula.html
We paid the $150 to rent one of those big beds.  
Oh here is a picture my fwb took of me in Playa norte.  She likes women and actually told me to move so she could get this girl in the picture

267818006789a68ff38f0f2896335a9c.jpg

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't have time to read 19 pages but Isla Mujeres is badass and Privilege Aluxes is one of my all time favorite resorts.  This is coming from someone who lived on St Thomas and is a total beach/diving snob.  It's accessibility and affordability from TX is unparalleled IMHO.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Don't have time to read 19 pages but Isla Mujeres is badass and Privilege Aluxes is one of my all time favorite resorts.  This is coming from someone who lived on St Thomas and is a total beach/diving snob.  It's accessibility and affordability from TX is unparalleled IMHO.

you-re-one-of-us-now-pkasv8r8bh0rhm1m.gi

I tried to book a trip for April last month (not santa semana) and it was already sold out. The word must be getting out about Privilege Aluxes.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

you-re-one-of-us-now-pkasv8r8bh0rhm1m.gi

I tried to book a trip for April last month (not santa semana) and it was already sold out. The word must be getting out about Privilege Aluxes.

Oh man well they always do a boxing day special which is usually like 35% off and so it's like the annual christmas present punch in that code and book your trip throughout the following year ;-)

• 1 month later...