Just got back from Isla Mujeres

wood

Somehow I ended up with time off after Christmas again this year (almost never happens), so I'm deciding between a return trip to IM or trying out Holbox.  Lots of stuff is already booked up in both places -- I get that's probably one of their busiest weeks, but geez.

Southwest hasn't even opened those flights yet -- I'm banking on them having something reasonable, as prices on other carriers are stupid.  I guess this is why we don't travel much during those times, but since I only get so many more trips with our boys before they leave the nest, I'm not turning down any opportunities.  Especially when chilaquiles are at stake.

On 12/21/2020 at 8:40 AM, riloh05 said:

Very ok to wear swimsuits from start to finish on island. 

Fuck yeah it's ok. I'm in boardshorts from when I first arrive at the hotel until I have to get dressed to head back to the airport. No need for anything else. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Damor said:

Somehow I ended up with time off after Christmas again this year (almost never happens), so I'm deciding between a return trip to IM or trying out Holbox.  Lots of stuff is already booked up in both places -- I get that's probably one of their busiest weeks, but geez.

Southwest hasn't even opened those flights yet -- I'm banking on them having something reasonable, as prices on other carriers are stupid.  I guess this is why we don't travel much during those times, but since I only get so many more trips with our boys before they leave the nest, I'm not turning down any opportunities.  Especially when chilaquiles are at stake.

Christmas is hands down the busiest time on Isla, or at least that's what all the locals tell me. Lodging and airfares have confirmed that as well. Preparest thy anus..

• Hook 'Em 1

@wood and you other Ixchel frequenters, do any of y'all have a preferred/trusted renter for a 2bdr unit?  I'm getting some minor runaround off of VRBO, and seeing prices vary about 10-20% across booking sites including the hotel website, hotels.com, Expedia, etc.  Just want to be sure I'm covering all my bases, feel free to PM if more comfortable that way.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Damor said:

@wood and you other Ixchel frequenters, do any of y'all have a preferred/trusted renter for a 2bdr unit?  I'm getting some minor runaround off of VRBO, and seeing prices vary about 10-20% across booking sites including the hotel website, hotels.com, Expedia, etc.  Just want to be sure I'm covering all my bases, feel free to PM if more comfortable that way.

PM sent. I'll ask Rod if it's ok to post his full name & email on the forum. 

On 3/26/2021 at 12:58 PM, Damor said:

Hey, I typed out a long response to you last night, and I thought it was already sent, but now I can't find any record of it. So I sent you another one ...

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hearing that Ballyhoo closed down for a while during COVID then reopened in a new location and the food now sucks as they hired a new chef.  Not sure if anyone can confirm.  Dopi's on Hidalgo also closed.

Hotel Secreto laid off the entire staff and now a skeleton crew is running the hotel.  It's mostly the owner and family.  It saddens me that Victor, Jose, Rodrigo, William and others are no longer there.  I here the service is still great but those guys were fantastic.

13 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Hearing that Ballyhoo closed down for a while during COVID then reopened in a new location and the food now sucks as they hired a new chef.  Not sure if anyone can confirm.  Dopi's on Hidalgo also closed.

Hotel Secreto laid off the entire staff and now a skeleton crew is running the hotel.  It's mostly the owner and family.  It saddens me that Victor, Jose, Rodrigo, William and others are no longer there.  I here the service is still great but those guys were fantastic.

Hate to hear that about Ballyhoo.  We hit the island around 1:30 on Wednesday and we're planning to stop there for a late lunch on our walk to Aluxes.  

Just what I figured when I saw that it was one of the restaurants. Deep fryer.

The blaze started in Mocambo restaurant just after 11 a.m. on the waterfront when a deep-fryer burst into flames.

The force and direction of the wind pushed the flames from Mocambo’s thatched palm roof towards neighboring restaurants Miramar and La Luna. The blaze spread farther to engulf other neighboring businesses, including El Picus, Artensanías Huchim and Muelle 7.

The fire department, the navy, Civil Protection officials and representatives from the water utility Aguakán arrived to help extinguish the blaze and prevented it from reaching a nearby gas station.

The establishments affected were almost completely destroyed.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/isla-mujeres-fire-consumes-almost-a-dozen-businesses/

BTW, where is the fire station? Hadn't thought of it til now, but I've never seen it.

Check out the hombre toward the end of this video, coming in from the right on the roof nextdoor. Nope. Don't do that, ese.

• 2 weeks later...

so I fly out tomorrow for a free all inclusive that I was supposed to take last year. this is the last week I can use it. I called the resort and they said swimming pool(bar) and bars and restaurants would all be open. they better be or I'ma go all George Brett on they asses.

• 2 weeks later...

just booked a week staying at nautibeach in early July - taking my 6 and 9 year old daughters for the first time (wife and i went alone in 2019)

i'm planning to do day trips to Chichen Itza and Xcaret - how does that work from Isla?

1 hour ago, El Tri said:

just booked a week staying at nautibeach in early July - taking my 6 and 9 year old daughters for the first time (wife and i went alone in 2019)

i'm planning to do day trips to Chichen Itza and Xcaret - how does that work from Isla?

Never done Chichen Itza from Isla, but I'm sure you can get a tour that picks you up at the Gran Puerto in Cancun. Xcaret can probably be done similarly, or you can just take the ferry over, rent a car, and then drive down to Xcaret. Or get a rideshare maybe? It's only about an hour or so. Xcaret's website says cab fares from Cancun are $80-100 each way, fwiw.

5 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Just rent a car. It's really not all that scary.

definitely not opposed to renting a car. I'm a Mexican national so no biggie to me, have rented a car before and done Chichen Itza with my wife a few years ago but that was from PLaya, not Isla

4 minutes ago, El Tri said:

definitely not opposed to renting a car. I'm a Mexican national so no biggie to me, have rented a car before and done Chichen Itza with my wife a few years ago but that was from PLaya, not Isla

I'd rent a car, head south and see Coba/Xcaret/Xel Ha instead, if you already did Chichen. The tollway near Piste is under construction right now and a major PITA, I just drove it 3 days ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I spaced renewing my passport and had to go the expedited route. State Dept says 4-6 weeks and we fly out on the last day of the 6th week. Our travelling companions were even later and are going to have to call their congressman once the their passports are delivered to the facility in Philly. Even if we get the passports, I see that Cancun could get moved to Red on their Covid protocol which would also suck. We are staying at an all inclusive 

Assuming we get to go, what's the peso vs. credit card situation like? We hope to rent a cart at least once and then eat/drink out all that day and maybe another. I can get pesos here but was trying to figure a budget and didn't want to overshoot.

27 minutes ago, Austinvines said:

I spaced renewing my passport and had to go the expedited route. State Dept says 4-6 weeks and we fly out on the last day of the 6th week. Our travelling companions were even later and are going to have to call their congressman once the their passports are delivered to the facility in Philly. Even if we get the passports, I see that Cancun could get moved to Red on their Covid protocol which would also suck. We are staying at an all inclusive 

Assuming we get to go, what's the peso vs. credit card situation like? We hope to rent a cart at least once and then eat/drink out all that day and maybe another. I can get pesos here but was trying to figure a budget and didn't want to overshoot.

they aren't moving to red. they can't afford it. plus, the vax has finally arrived and is being administered to the older population so i think things are looking up.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Back this afternoon from five nights at Zoetry. That place is super chill, super nice, and very spendy. Did a whale shark snorkel one morning and there was a decent chance my wife and I could’ve died since they had us jumping in the ocean between two thunderstorms with cloud to sea lightning.

Our skipper was a pro and our guide was great. We had a Mexican family from CDMX on our tour who were house sitting at the wife’s brother’s house near Playa Norte. They had two kids with them under the age of eight who were champs and the husband and I talked about the F1 race that was going on during the tour.

We had great restaurants at the hotel so didn’t get out too much. Lobster tacos at the Soggy Peso were great (and the margs). Breakfast relleno at Mango Cafe was excellent as were the grouper tacos at Green Verde for lunch. The super Marg at Bella Vista was the bomb and the Tortuga Sanctuary was better than I thought it would be.

Loved the trip and we will probably go back for our 25th next year.

I can’t say for certain but we tried Basto’s for lunch and there was plywood covering the door.

e632a68779ab4287b17d95491635407f.jpg

24043cbaa459b20f8118cb104a68d403.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Austinvines said:

Back this afternoon from five nights at Zoetry. That place is super chill, super nice, and very spendy. Did a whale shark snorkel one morning and there was a decent chance my wife and I could’ve died since they had us jumping in the ocean between two thunderstorms with cloud to sea lightning.

Our skipper was a pro and our guide was great. We had a Mexican family from CDMX on our tour who were house sitting at the wife’s brother’s house near Playa Norte. They had two kids with them under the age of eight who were champs and the husband and I talked about the F1 race that was going on during the tour.

We had great restaurants at the hotel so didn’t get out too much. Lobster tacos at the Soggy Peso were great (and the margs). Breakfast relleno at Mango Cafe was excellent as were the grouper tacos at Green Verde for lunch. The super Marg at Bella Vista was the bomb and the Tortuga Sanctuary was better than I thought it would be.

Loved the trip and we will probably go back for our 25th next year.

I can’t say for certain but we tried Basto’s for lunch and there was plywood covering the door. emoji15.png

e632a68779ab4287b17d95491635407f.jpg

24043cbaa459b20f8118cb104a68d403.jpg

Cool, cool, cool. So we have IM and F1 in common. you should come join us in the F1 thread.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So, just got back from Isla Mujeres and Akumal.

Not as hot as normal in July. Most of the time it was pretty nice. High 80s. Picus the first night and the last night, with a family we met on IM years ago. Fantastic both times. Wife and I split the fired whole 'snapper' and the grilled shrimp. Both were outstanding. One night it was Angelo's for grilled grouper and penne Bolognese. Awesome as always. Pizza at Oscar's was on the money. Street tacos and strawberry/nutella crepes a couple of nights. Couple or three roasted chickens along the way. 

Took in some 'indoor' soccer. Those guys go hard. Passed out fluorescent toys to the local kids. Tipped too much, which is a lot of fun. Couldn't get info about any baseball, softball, or Bball games. Too bad. 

Did another whale shark excursion on Tuesday with a captain named Noe. Awesome. Very professional and concerned for everyone's safety and the safety of the sharks...which is good, because there were by far more whale sharks, boats, and people in the water than I've ever seen. We were seeing 5-10 sharks every time we took a 5 minute or so turn in the water. And huge ones. The biggest ones I've ever seen, and lots of 'em. Just incredible. I doubt we'll ever see that many again. (BTW, sadly, 4 days before we arrived, 3 people drowned off Punta Sur when a tourist boats sank. https://www.riviera-maya-news.com/three-die-after-tourist-vessel-sinks-off-isla-mujeres/2021.html?cn-reloaded=1 Fortunately for us, we were blissfully ignorant at the time)

Prisma's bigger 4-adult cart with both seats facing forward and the big box on the back was $375 for the week. USA Transfers for the win as always. Those guys are the best, best, best. They also have a chat feature now on their website that is pretty nice when trying to set up a non-standard pickup like we did, from America Car Rental to Puerto Juarez.

The cenotes are still open. Tried Eden for the first time, and it was amazing. Went there twice. Cenote Azul was so packed we didn't even dare try it. 

Xel Ha has really changed since we went there 10 years ago. It's $100 a person, but they'll feed you all the food and alcohol you want, all day long, so compared to US amuesment parks, I think it holds up pretty well. The water slide from the big tower (13-14 stories?) is fast AF. And long.

What else? Oh yeah. The airport. We didn't allow extra time for the covid processing shit. We gave ourselves the standard 2 hours. Everything worked out fine, but we shoulda gotten there sooner. After waiting 50 minutes in the airline's line, they pulled out everyone for the Austin flight and put us ahead of the rest. We got to our gate like 10 minutes before they boarded our boarding group. Crazy as shit - we ran into our nextdoor neighbors at the gate, who were on the same flight home with us after doing a last-minute 4-day trip to Cancun.

Covid test...contrary to reports, the girl who did ours was by the book 100%. ALL the way in. 6 slow, full turns. Induced tears for all 10 of us. $50 a pop. All negative. Just tell the front desk when you want to do it. They'll set it up & someone will come to your room.

Ixchel. The beach is still shrinking. And now so are the hours because of covid. I mean, you can still use the beach, but after 1700, you're doing it without a chair. Re: the shrinking beach, so much sand has moved to the east down the beach that the Mia island is now almost connected to the rest of the island.

Oh, and our last night on Isla we got to watch on the beach as the tortuga folks released newborn turtles to the water. Still kinda dusty in here over that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wasting Billables said:

Heading to Isla labor day weekend. Renting a house down by Punta Sur. Will try and do a full thread read through before the trip, but following Covid, have yall noticed any changes to restaurants/bars/excursions that should be noted before heading down? What are the must-try restaurants and bars nowadays?

We noticed no change in the way things are being done at the restaurants. Once we got off the ferry, we never needed our masks again until we got back on the ferry to leave at the end of the week.

ETA: ...except when we went to Chedraui.

Edited by wood

• 5 weeks later...
So, just got back from Isla Mujeres and Akumal.
Not as hot as normal in July. Most of the time it was pretty nice. High 80s. Picus the first night and the last night, with a family we met on IM years ago. Fantastic both times. Wife and I split the fired whole 'snapper' and the grilled shrimp. Both were outstanding. One night it was Angelo's for grilled grouper and penne Bolognese. Awesome as always. Pizza at Oscar's was on the money. Street tacos and strawberry/nutella crepes a couple of nights. Couple or three roasted chickens along the way. 
Took in some 'indoor' soccer. Those guys go hard. Passed out fluorescent toys to the local kids. Tipped too much, which is a lot of fun. Couldn't get info about any baseball, softball, or Bball games. Too bad. 
Did another whale shark excursion on Tuesday with a captain named Noe. Awesome. Very professional and concerned for everyone's safety and the safety of the sharks...which is good, because there were by far more whale sharks, boats, and people in the water than I've ever seen. We were seeing 5-10 sharks every time we took a 5 minute or so turn in the water. And huge ones. The biggest ones I've ever seen, and lots of 'em. Just incredible. I doubt we'll ever see that many again. (BTW, sadly, 4 days before we arrived, 3 people drowned off Punta Sur when a tourist boats sank. https://www.riviera-maya-news.com/three-die-after-tourist-vessel-sinks-off-isla-mujeres/2021.html?cn-reloaded=1 Fortunately for us, we were blissfully ignorant at the time)
Prisma's bigger 4-adult cart with both seats facing forward and the big box on the back was $375 for the week. USA Transfers for the win as always. Those guys are the best, best, best. They also have a chat feature now on their website that is pretty nice when trying to set up a non-standard pickup like we did, from America Car Rental to Puerto Juarez.
The cenotes are still open. Tried Eden for the first time, and it was amazing. Went there twice. Cenote Azul was so packed we didn't even dare try it. 
Xel Ha has really changed since we went there 10 years ago. It's $100 a person, but they'll feed you all the food and alcohol you want, all day long, so compared to US amuesment parks, I think it holds up pretty well. The water slide from the big tower (13-14 stories?) is fast AF. And long.
What else? Oh yeah. The airport. We didn't allow extra time for the covid processing shit. We gave ourselves the standard 2 hours. Everything worked out fine, but we shoulda gotten there sooner. After waiting 50 minutes in the airline's line, they pulled out everyone for the Austin flight and put us ahead of the rest. We got to our gate like 10 minutes before they boarded our boarding group. Crazy as shit - we ran into our nextdoor neighbors at the gate, who were on the same flight home with us after doing a last-minute 4-day trip to Cancun.
Covid test...contrary to reports, the girl who did ours was by the book 100%. ALL the way in. 6 slow, full turns. Induced tears for all 10 of us. $50 a pop. All negative. Just tell the front desk when you want to do it. They'll set it up & someone will come to your room.
Ixchel. The beach is still shrinking. And now so are the hours because of covid. I mean, you can still use the beach, but after 1700, you're doing it without a chair. Re: the shrinking beach, so much sand has moved to the east down the beach that the Mia island is now almost connected to the rest of the island.
Oh, and our last night on Isla we got to watch on the beach as the tortuga folks released newborn turtles to the water. Still kinda dusty in here over that.

Running into friends while traveling abroad is great. We were in Cancun in 2017 and noticed an IG post from some friends who were also there. We met up at La Casa del Habano and spent a few hours on the dock smoking Cubans and sipping mojitos and watching the sunset. It was awesome.

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Running into friends while traveling abroad is great. We were in Cancun in 2017 and noticed an IG post from some friends who were also there. We met up at La Casa del Habano and spent a few hours on the dock smoking Cubans and sipping mojitos and watching the sunset. It was awesome.

Yeah it's fun. Once a few years ago we were exiting the Cancun terminal to get a ride to the ferry, and my wife said she thought she heard someone call my name. Then a few seconds later, I hear it too. It was a buddy from work who had arrived just before us and was waiting for family arriving on a later flight. We're on different shifts & had planned trips for the same week, months in advance, having no idea the other was going. No matter where you go, you can't get away from work, lol. They had rented one of those big houses out near the Tortugranja, and we ended up hanging out some there and all went swimming with the whale sharks together. /csb

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any recs for our beach trip with friends next summer? 

• All-inclusive adults only resorts (I prefer to stay at hotels and eat locally, but with this group I agree all-inclusive is much better)
  • Shortish flights (<4 hours) from Dallas or Houston (bonus if direct from Austin)
  • 5 diamond or above--we've liked Secrets Maroma, rooms were great, but I liked about 75% of the food there so don't want to go lower quality than Secrets Maroma
  • no chance or low chance of saragassum

What I'm finding from google is that the last two requirements are mutually exclusive (not a lot of highly rated all-inclusives to choose from on the west side of isla or cozumel).  Any ideas?

Edited by harpercollins

• 2 months later...

We went a few weeks ago. Nonstop out of Austin on Southwest was great. We carried on so the airport was a breeze. USA transfers to the Puerto warez ferry was great. The island was a bit disappointing in that it seems to have grown a little bit more than we cared for. Especially by the ferry, it seems pretty Americanized. The food as usual was great. Javi’s was awesome, we did not make it over to Bastos. Playa Norte was real nice early but got packed with boats anchored too close. We got rain here and there late in the day but it was fine, my guy on the island made sure we had some party favors for chilling on the porch. Can’t wait to go again 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
We went a few weeks ago. Nonstop out of Austin on Southwest was great. We carried on so the airport was a breeze. USA transfers to the Puerto warez ferry was great. The island was a bit disappointing in that it seems to have grown a little bit more than we cared for. Especially by the ferry, it seems pretty Americanized. The food as usual was great. Javi’s was awesome, we did not make it over to Bastos. Playa Norte was real nice early but got packed with boats anchored too close. We got rain here and there late in the day but it was fine, my guy on the island made sure we had some party favors for chilling on the porch. Can’t wait to go again 

Where did y’all stay?

9 hours ago, harpercollins said:

Where did y’all stay?

Playa Arena is my go to

26 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Anybody else think Isla is a complete shitshow?

Wayyy too many people, boats, Cancun day traffic, etc.

Yes. Ain’t what it used to be. Early and late ain’t bad but mid day on PN can get packed. Still, it’s a great weekend getaway.

7 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

Yes. Ain’t what it used to be. Early and late ain’t bad but mid day on PN can get packed. Still, it’s a great weekend getaway.

We tried finding something on the south side but even then it was just a parade of cancun catamarans blaring shit music while their passengers waddled off the boat for their one hour stay on the island.

I think my expectations were probably a tad high, but damn that place is a zoo.

On 11/28/2021 at 8:01 PM, VABuckeye said:

Looks like it is time to switch to Holbox for me then.  It's what Isla was 25 years ago.

I love Holbox. The sunset alone is something that will stay with me until I die. It can get crowded, but you can also find your space. I love that place.

My neighbor loves El Cuyo. He says it's what Holbox was 20 years ago if you're looking to go even further back in time.

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

4 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I love Holbox. The sunset alone is something that will stay with me until I die. It can get crowded, but you can also find your space. I love that place.

My neighbor loves El Cuyo. He says it's what Holbox was 20 years ago if you're looking to go even further back in time.

El Cuyo is much less of a tourist hellhole and easier to get to.