Just got back from Isla Mujeres

wood

42 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I'm about to pull the trigger on a trip based 100% on this thread.

Quick question though...I'm probably staying at Ixchel. Is there a golf cart rental right there so I can grab one as needed?

Yes sir. It's literally right outside Ixchel  between them and the cemetery.

FYI though they were sold out while we were there last week. Ciro's seemed to have plenty though. They're about 2 blocks away.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

I gave a lot of reps to you guys. Just got back last night from Cancun. Checked out Ballyhoo the 1st night. Great Lobster and fish. I was looking out at the pier and said to the wife, that looks like my bosses boat.  Next morning, called the Captain and it was his boat, went out and caught a 40lbs Wahoo, came back to Ballyhoo. We had the Wahoo ceviche and grilled.. Hit Playa Norte up the next dayB|. What a view. Sorry, no pics as the wife was there. She was watching me like a Hawk. There was a girl that laid out in front of us. Best ass I have ever seen in person. Wife mentioned she needed some attention.You have to just play dumb sometimes.

Stayed a couple of nights at Paradise Suites. Great location with being a block away from Playa Norte. The rest of our stay was at the Playa La Media Luna.

Places we hit up

Topaz- Buhosx2, La Playita, Mangos, Bastos, Ballyhoox2, Cha-Cha and Puerto Madero Argentine steak house in Cancun on our last night. We did not have a bad meal. Everything was terrific.

We did a lot site seeing part of the day and Playa Norte the rest of the day. I believe my wife was so pissed off we had to leave. She unplugged the power to the island as we left. We will try to come back during the fall instead waiting till next summer.

Best spot for snorkeling for kids on the island? Going to Tulum next week (we have a car so we can get to the ferries easily) and fishing is the suck so thinking a day trip to isla or Cozumel for snorkeling and exploring etc

1 hour ago, troph said:

Best spot for snorkeling for kids on the island? Going to Tulum next week (we have a car so we can get to the ferries easily) and fishing is the suck so thinking a day trip to isla or Cozumel for snorkeling and exploring etc

IMHO it's Garrafon de Castillo, just before Parque Garrafon. And when you're in the Tulum area, don't skip the cenotes. I was skeptical at first a couple years ago, but they're amazing.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

IMHO it's Garrafon de Castillo, just before Parque Garrafon. And when you're in the Tulum area, don't skip the centotes. I was skeptical at first a couple years ago, but they're amazing.

Cenotes are on the list - a full day of them. They are amazing!
  • Like 1

Bastos: translated in to English, it means if you think you’re eating here and then going to get fucked up and have sex, well that’s not happening. 

There is a ton of talent on PN today. 

Golf carts are available at ixchel. PM sent for a better rec

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, troph said:

Well we switched last minute from Tulum to isla bc of the seaweed. Get there tues and stay until Saturday. Tulum water front casita will be empty. Bring it bitches

Yeah Tulum was pretty bad with the seaweed. We also wanted to go to Playa Xcacel, the turtle hatchery, & the little cenote back there, but it was all closed due to the seaweed.

Edited by wood

16 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

Lots of Mexican Riviera refugees on Playa Norte right now, pretty crowded midday

Yeah it was fucking packed last Saturday and Sunday. Monday was a little better, and Tuesday  & Wednesday were a lot better. On Saturday I stopped counting anchored boats when I got to 100. Here's Sunday. There were 80+ boats when I shot this.

fjOJcfwTjetzkYVIOqzTeSki3rcrGm6TcB_qH_oI

Sunday Morning before 9. same spot. Playa Norte is so awesome in the a.m...

acxmVnC9u4zbvAOdsVNElP-i26NSG7tvmqtqDx7T

Edited by wood

Google pics. Seems like people who have that can see em. Imgur no workie here, right?

Thinking back, you saw the cave snorkeling pics, right? I wonder why you can't see these. They're linked from the same place.

Edited by wood

Pretty cool place. Hanging on the south side mostly but been to playa Norte twice in two days to see the sunset and let my kids swim. Oldest loves snorkeling - first time - I bet he scubas soon. Love the side streets south of downtown and the golf cart driving. Mescal and beer chasers are nice too. Powder sand, blue water and pesos down Mexico way (steve Earle reference) work every time. The sex is better too. We love Mexico.

Explored Punta Sur and the cliffs today some after a short offshore snorkel tour. Mid afternoon naps then we got smashed at the blue topaz after watching the sunset. Total American expat kinda joint but the pico de Gallo was redic and the owner/bartender made the best margaritas (skinny no sugar) we’ve had thus far. Love the island vibe and really like the interior streets and the dive bars and restaurants. Not such a fan of downtown but won’t turn down a rev there either. We’d come back for sure. Offshore trip tomorrow with a friend who stayed in playa and rented a boat - pick up here at 10am. We’ll see...ad765bd96c44a04818076b1182069392.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

If you do the whale sharks use ceviche tours (google them). After you swim with the sharks they take you to a beach for beer and ceviche.

Yeah, I think they take people to Playa Norte after. At least one of them does.

Just got home, finished the trip with a stop at a spa resort right on the coast south of Cancun to say hi to our friend that brought the boat to us... the beach was awful. The water was diarrhea brown, the surf was non existent, and odor was reminiscent of rotting garbage in the summer. Needless to say the blue water at PN and the whole island was the right call. 8fe276f41c9875c1f7017e67bd25f9fd.jpg

We’ll go back.

Next up though is Mérida, Mexico City and maybe other interior cities as well.

http://www.fox26houston.com/news/cancun-horror-as-8-bodies-including-2-dismembered-in-bags-found-on-streets

(FOX NEWS) - Eight bodies -- two of which were dismembered and shoved in plastic bags -- were discovered on the streets of the Mexican resort city Cancun, prosecutors said Tuesday.

Authorities made two of the eight grisly discoveries at midnight Monday in the trunk of a taxi, Rivera Maya News reported. A man and a woman were found dead inside the vehicle’s trunk parked outside the Chedraui de la Multiplaza shopping mall, according to the report.

The taxi driver fled the car before police arrived. 

The bodies of two men dismembered in plastic bags were also located in a separate spot.

Edited by mbtex

On 8/11/2018 at 8:52 AM, troph said:

Anyone been to Holbox? seriously thinking about it... looks like Isla but more remote and less touristy. Though not without tourism.

Friends just got back from Holbox... pictures looked amazing and they loved it.

On the Cancun article, all locals, not in the tourist area, probably drug related.  Sucks.  Wish all of that would stop but let's stop pretending those were a bunch of Americans on vacation.  They weren't.

• 3 weeks later...