Just got back from Isla Mujeres

wood

We stayed at Casa Aqua.  Loved our accommodations.   Big house with 4 bedrooms/3 baths.  Pool and in a secluded area.  Nice little beach outside the private gate looking at the small bay between the island and Mia Reef Hotel (parents and sister's In laws stayed there while we stayed at the house).  Two minute walk to Playa Norte two minute walk to Hidalgo. Really liked our house. 

http://aqua-islamujeres.com/#p11

Pictures don't show the nice bed they put in behind the pool area where the tables are. 

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

We said we were done with beach vacations after our week in March, but damn if I don't have an itch for a 3 day weekend at Privilege Aluxes again. 

Yeah after our pretty much annual trips to Isla, my wife always says "We're going somewhere else next year. We do this every year. I wanna do something else." Then 3 months later she's ready to go back ... which is fine with me of course. I'm usually ready to go back before I even get to the airport.

We're moving Isla to July next year and are going to St. Vincent and the Grenadines at the end of February instead.  I know it will be HAF on Isla in July but we'll be able to swim with the whalesharks and both of my adult kids will be going with us for the first time so we get to share that special little island with them.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 2:30 PM, VABuckeye said:

We're moving Isla to July next year and are going to St. Vincent and the Grenadines at the end of February instead.  I know it will be HAF on Isla in July but we'll be able to swim with the whalesharks and both of my adult kids will be going with us for the first time so we get to share that special little island with them.

HAF yeah, but still a lot cooler than Austin, and you can jump in the water pretty much anytime. Yeah, I'll take that ....

14 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Seaweed On PN is horrible right now, not the time to go if you can help it

A lot of the Caribbean is having a problem with seaweed right now.  Belize declared it a national emergency.

Here's an article about the problem.  Researchers fear it may be the new normal...

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/06/mysterious-masses-seaweed-assault-caribbean-islands

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

A lot of the Caribbean is having a problem with seaweed right now.  Belize declared it a national emergency.

Here's an article about the problem.  Researchers fear it may be the new normal...

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/06/mysterious-masses-seaweed-assault-caribbean-islands

IM doesn't normally have a sargassum problem (unlike the rest of the Yucatan). Michael just blew a shitload of it on to IM, which is worth an FYI.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

How is mid March? Skipping out on the class mission trip to do something selfish 

Weather was outstanding (we didn't do any fishing) and the tourists were mostly Mexican Nationals, but we went the week after traditional US spring beak and it was Easter which a lot of Mexico gets the week off for. We left for home on Good Friday and the crowds had really picked up.

On 11/2/2018 at 10:54 AM, Mr. Drummond said:

Flying out tomorrow !!!  will post trip stuff when i get back.   Assuming of course I'm not murdered while going from taxi to ferry.

Survived yet another trip to Mexico.  

Did normal stuff,  drank, ate and drank.  Going back in July with the kids for whale shark swimming.  

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 2:02 PM, SimonBolivar said:

Weather was outstanding (we didn't do any fishing) and the tourists were mostly Mexican Nationals, but we went the week after traditional US spring beak and it was Easter which a lot of Mexico gets the week off for. We left for home on Good Friday and the crowds had really picked up.

We went to Huatulco one year around Semana Santa... 95% Mexican Nationals... made for a fun trip as the vibe was different but enjoyable.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

5th time on the island. Know it like the back of my hand.

Yesterday we had the privelege of watching two dudes run past us immediately after smoking some petty street dealer. Heard gunshots, told the friends to get behind a stucco wall because it was exactly one block away. I crept up because I didn’t want to see gunmen coming into where we were but they casually jogged down Centro with pistols in hand after a leisurely mid-day murder.

https://noticaribe.com.mx/2018/12/30/balacera-en-el-centro-de-isla-mujeres-al-menos-un-muerto-en-ataque-dirigido-contra-un-presunto-vendedor-de-artesanias/

4 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

5th time on the island. Know it like the back of my hand.

Yesterday we had the privelege of watching two dudes run past us immediately after smoking some petty street dealer. Heard gunshots, told the friends to get behind a stucco wall because it was exactly one block away. I crept up because I didn’t want to see gunmen coming into where we were but they casually jogged down Centro with pistols in hand after a leisurely mid-day murder.

https://noticaribe.com.mx/2018/12/30/balacera-en-el-centro-de-isla-mujeres-al-menos-un-muerto-en-ataque-dirigido-contra-un-presunto-vendedor-de-artesanias/

So, this shop where the guy was shot ... is that on Hidalgo? Which end? Just curious.

I ended up telling mine as well. Mostly out of fear we’d book a trip and she’d read about it right before and want to cancel. She didn’t take it as bad as I thought she might. 

Sucks because this was the first place we took our now two year and the wife surprisingly felt really comfortable there. Enough to where she’d been talking about going back soon. 

55 minutes ago, hornbri said:

So the in-laws have left and we are thinking of doing a last minute trip tomorrow thru the weekend. At this late of a moment where would should we stay, it would be two adults and 2 kids that are 3 and 6. 

Not sure. The Christmas break is usually pretty packed so it must be difficult on short notice ... but you never know. If you want a hotel on the beach, I'd start with Ixchel and branch out from there.

ETA: Just checked   https://www.ixchelbeachhotel.com/default-en.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAvKzhBRC1ARIsANEXdgxBgRj613Ys52nPYsFlu3iq1XKlAFce536oBo6ETARFFp3GCb3MwJEaAqGkEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds   & there are openings. Not cheap though for sure.

Edited by wood

Damn, can’t believe that shooting story. Can someone cliff notes the story? My Spanish is not so good.

Some good friends just got back from their first trip and were there when this happened. I’ll have to find out if they heard anything.

Not enough to scare me off until this becomes a trend, but very sad to hear.

On 1/4/2019 at 4:12 AM, Buzzrock said:

Was just about to book a property for a group of families this summer...wonder if they’ll want to back out now.

Can’t remember if it’s in this thread or the old site - any recommendations for airport transfers and golf carts?

On 1/11/2019 at 8:43 AM, bigcigar said:

Was just about to book a property for a group of families this summer...wonder if they’ll want to back out now.

Can’t remember if it’s in this thread or the old site - any recommendations for airport transfers and golf carts?

Can't go wrong with USA transfers.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 4:06 AM, Buzzrock said:

Damn, can’t believe that shooting story. Can someone cliff notes the story? My Spanish is not so good.

Some good friends just got back from their first trip and were there when this happened. I’ll have to find out if they heard anything.

Not enough to scare me off until this becomes a trend, but very sad to hear.

so on hidalgo there is a trap house...across from faynes'ish. there was a new guy in town with an entrepreneur spirt and he had been told to calm down by the powers that be. he didnt. they had a meeting. and he was kilt. from where i got this story from all seems to be calmed down even more so with the entrepreneur now dead.

Edited by riloh05
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, riloh05 said:

so on hidalgo there is a trap house...across from faynes'ish. there was a new guy in town with an entrepreneur spirt and he had been told to calm down by the powers that be. he didnt. they had a meeting. and he was kilt. from where i got this story from all seems to be calmed down even more so with the entrepreneur now dead.

Que es 'trap house'? Crack house?