Just got back from Isla Mujeres

wood

22 hours ago, riloh05 said:

so on hidalgo there is a trap house...across from faynes'ish. there was a new guy in town with an entrepreneur spirt and he had been told to calm down by the powers that be. he didnt. they had a meeting. and he was kilt. from where i got this story from all seems to be calmed down even more so with the entrepreneur now dead.

Appreciate the recap. Don't start no mierda won't be no mierda... 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, El Tri said:

booked our trip to Isla for Mar 15-20. I've been to Isla before on day trips but never stayed there. Past few times we've stayed in PdC.

super excited, tried booking Ixchel and it was all booked up.

Did you try booking with an individual owner or just go through their site?

18 hours ago, El Tri said:

booked our trip to Isla for Mar 15-20. I've been to Isla before on day trips but never stayed there. Past few times we've stayed in PdC.

super excited, tried booking Ixchel and it was all booked up.

Where are you staying at? We loved everything about Privilege Aluxes which is just right down the road from Ixchel. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 11:24 PM, wood said:

Did you try booking with an individual owner or just go through their site?

just through the site, wasn't aware you could book through an individual owner. is this via VRBO? i'll check

On 1/30/2019 at 10:56 AM, SimonBolivar said:

Where are you staying at? We loved everything about Privilege Aluxes which is just right down the road from Ixchel. 

We are staying at Villa Kiin. didn't feel like spending a lot of money, and this was the closest to the beach in playa norte without dropping a couple hundred per night

Booked Isla last night.   Haven’t booked Hotel Secreto yet but it won’t be a problem.  June 27th - July 5th for me.  My son is only staying until the 3rd.  The girls are heading to Holbox once I leave.  Can’t wait.  I have 12 days on St. John and Anegada end of May and early June.  Can’t wait for that one either. 

On 2/12/2019 at 2:47 PM, El Tri said:

just through the site, wasn't aware you could book through an individual owner. is this via VRBO? i'll check

We are staying at Villa Kiin. didn't feel like spending a lot of money, and this was the closest to the beach in playa norte without dropping a couple hundred per night

We usually book through Rod Dixon at rod@mtco.com. He's great, always knows what's available and what's going on on Isla, and offers a "buy 6 nights/get the 7th free" deal. He leases for himself and I guess pretty much all the other Ixchel owners as well...

Tell him the Wood Family referred you!

Edited by wood

2 hours ago, tejas60 said:

sister and b-i-l just spent over 2 hours going through customs at the Cancun airport. some pushing and shoving going on. said his daughter and family said it was the same for them two weeks ago. 2 agents for 1000's of travelers.

hope that clears up before my trip....

I wonder why.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2019 at 5:00 PM, wood said:

I wonder why.

USA transfers is the consensus for airport to ferry transport correct? booked it and it didn't ask for payment info. it said they're reviewing it for availability and they'll contact me. is this right?

9 minutes ago, El Tri said:

USA transfers is the consensus for airport to ferry transport correct? booked it and it didn't ask for payment info. it said they're reviewing it for availability and they'll contact me. is this right?

Yep they're the ones to use. Re: the payment when booking, I don't remember, but I've only used them once, and I've slept since then...

Hope this customs stuff gets straightened out before y'all get there. We're still up  in the air on whether we'll go there or Cali this summer.

ETA: Looks like they added more agents recently.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/airlines/cancun-airport-to-add-more-staff-shorten-immigration-wait-times.html

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, El Tri said:

USA Transfers is far better than a taxi. We didn't get it on the way back from the port and just took a taxi and the dude scammed us hard even with my gf being a fluent Spanish speaker and mine being passable. They have a set amount they are supposed to charge, but he kept on insisting that we pay the amount listed in USD even though we were paying in pesos. I eventually told him that we'll pay the amount he wants if he just admits to me that he's trying to scam us. USA Transfers on the other hand was fantastic and super polite. We used them again in Mexico City, but I'm not 100% sure it was the same USA Transfers or if it was just a company with the same name.

Edited by SimonBolivar

1 hour ago, wood said:

Yep they're the ones to use. Re: the payment when booking, I don't remember, but I've only used them once, and I've slept since then...

Hope this customs stuff gets straightened out before y'all get there. We're still up  in the air on whether we'll go there or Cali this summer.

ETA: Looks like they added more agents recently.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/airlines/cancun-airport-to-add-more-staff-shorten-immigration-wait-times.html

we are traveling with our mexican passports to avoid the tourist/visa lines. fuck that noise

Edited by El Tri

4 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

A golf cart for a week really isn’t necessary if you’re staying in Playa Norte.  We just do one or two at most daily rentals when we’re there.  

We’re not staying on playa norte. It’s a large group so we rented a house.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, don't drink and golf cart.

What's up with this?   We are going later in the month to Playa Mujeres. Based on this thread, we want to take the ferry or a catamaran and go over and spend a day exploring Isla and maybe plan a trip there later.  Some folks have recommended that we hire a golf cart driver to show us around and to let us drink without worrying.  We have even received some specific driver recommendations.  With a few exceptions, I don't hire or enjoy tour guides and prefer to explore on my own.  What do the surly Isla experts say?  We plan to bar hop some.  Would a driver be a responsible choice or overkill?  Seems silly to based on the amount of drinking and golf cart driving I have done on golf courses, but this is different, I know.

And, while we are at it, what would a 6 hour day on the island look like?  The pictures on this thread have me dreaming of some great seafood in a casual beachside hut.  What that be La Playita?  Would we go to Playa Norte and rent some chairs?  What else?

21 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

What's up with this?   We are going later in the month to Playa Mujeres. Based on this thread, we want to take the ferry or a catamaran and go over and spend a day exploring Isla and maybe plan a trip there later.  Some folks have recommended that we hire a golf cart driver to show us around and to let us drink without worrying.  We have even received some specific driver recommendations.  With a few exceptions, I don't hire or enjoy tour guides and prefer to explore on my own.  What do the surly Isla experts say?  We plan to bar hop some.  Would a driver be a responsible choice or overkill?  Seems silly to based on the amount of drinking and golf cart driving I have done on golf courses, but this is different, I know.

And, while we are at it, what would a 6 hour day on the island look like?  The pictures on this thread have me dreaming of some great seafood in a casual beachside hut.  What that be La Playita?  Would we go to Playa Norte and rent some chairs?  What else?

we talked to some dude from texas at parque de los sueños who got busted for drinking a beer while driving a cart. said it cost a few hundred bucks to get him out.

i don't think it's an issue of driving somewhere, drinking there, and heading back. but if you have a beer on the golf cart the motorcycle cops will bust you.

I was popped for Boozing and Golf Carting as I was the one driving.  Cop straight up said, get off the cart pound some beers and hop back in and drive but you can't be driving and consuming simultaneously.  That's a no-no.  Cop also said anybody else in the cart can booze at will, the driver is the only one that can't be drinking while the cart is in motion.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

I guess my days of double fisting Pacifico's and cranking ACDC to 11 on my blue tooth speaker doing laps around Isla are over. 

And you better make sure you buy those Pacificos before 5pm on Sunday.

https://www.riviera-maya-news.com/new-alcohol-law-takes-effect-in-cancun-riviera-maya/2019.html

On 4/1/2019 at 4:44 PM, BigNastyHorn said:

I was popped for Boozing and Golf Carting as I was the one driving.  Cop straight up said, get off the cart pound some beers and hop back in and drive but you can't be driving and consuming simultaneously.  That's a no-no.  Cop also said anybody else in the cart can booze at will, the driver is the only one that can't be drinking while the cart is in motion.  

How much did you have to slip him to get off?