Telluride

hobbs

9 hours ago, troph said:

that's good to know, couldn't remember how far Ridgway is.  we camped in our fifth wheel near Rico last time on some private property, that town shouldn't even be on the map but it was an easy drive to Telluride.  I've seen some property in Placerville that looks interesting.  the raw land (acreage) we've seen that was most compelling is near Ridgway another lot (single family lot) we liked was on the way to Mountain Village - a bit concerned about the deed restrictions near there, all the places look the same.  those national forest pics are on the route from Rico to Telluride.

FWIW — the road from Rico is better.  Been stuck on the road from Placerville due to mudslides (hillside runs right along the road in several places on 145)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

FWIW — the road from Rico is better.  Been stuck on the road from Placerville due to mudslides (hillside runs right along the road in several places on 145)

Good to know. We’ve only driven ridgway (not paying attention) to telluride then to the village and Rico area and then back to telluride and then home through Durango area and New Mexico.  Never went west to placerville. I hope to be all over that area next summer.  

just spent the time BJ was on the bench on a deep dive on water rights, diversion rights, right to build ponds (fly fishing in a stock pond sounds heretical but amazing too) and right to subdivide.  The county (San Miguel) has a master plan, but exemptions for at least 35 acre subdivides. Interesting there are a number of 35-40 acre parcels for sale.  All of that is near placerville not much for sale near Rico. At least not in the filters I was using (raw land 500-1.5M). River runs right along the road near Rico and that area maybe that’s a more pricey spot. 

Edited by troph

I went over to Placerville once to ride horses with Roudy after he moved out there. Good guy, hope he’s still getting around ok.

I’ll be back in Telluride in 5 weeks for skiing. Looks like the snow is finally starting to fall and I’ll be fully vaccinated by then so things are hopefully looking up. (fingers crossed)

I’ve been there in all 4 seasons and it’s a fantastic little corner of the world. Almost took a job in Montrose a few years back just to have Telluride in my backyard. I still kick myself sometimes over that one, especially when I’m up there and see how gorgeous it is. Sitting at the top of lift 9 and marveling at the beauty of the canyon is a religious experience for me. Maybe I’ll retire there one day.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, troph said:

Good to know. We’ve only driven ridgway (not paying attention) to telluride then to the village and Rico area and then back to telluride and then home through Durango area and New Mexico.  Never went west to placerville. I hope to be all over that area next summer.  

just spent the time BJ was on the bench on a deep dive on water rights, diversion rights, right to build ponds (fly fishing in a stock pond sounds heretical but amazing too) and right to subdivide.  The county (San Miguel) has a master plan, but exemptions for at least 35 acre subdivides. Interesting there are a number of 35-40 acre parcels for sale.  All of that is near placerville not much for sale near Rico. At least not in the filters I was using (raw land 500-1.5M). River runs right along the road near Rico and that area maybe that’s a more pricey spot. 

I didn't get all of the details, but a buddy of mine was looking at similar property sizes (20-50 acres) near Telluride a few years ago.  Property was relatively affordable, but according to him, there's some funky stuff that you have to look out for with regards to water rights.  Between that and construction costs, it was a deal-breaker for him.  

But, yeah.  Telluride is at the top of the list for us.  We have a beach house on the docket within the next year or so, but once we get that under our belt, Telluride may be next.

Their water rights are first in time, first in right, so a lot of downstream rights can be ahead of you. Residential use wells excepted. It definitely looks tricky. Construction costs will be stupid high, but we may be able to cut out GC markups without a ton of headache.  We’ll see, who knows.

I have lived in Amarillo most of my life and we get a pretty good dose of winter. I like the cold and enjoy the snow, just don’t know about having snow on the ground for months at a time. My parents lived in Denver for a while, mom loved it and dad hated the winters.

14 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

I have lived in Amarillo most of my life and we get a pretty good dose of winter. I like the cold and enjoy the snow, just don’t know about having snow on the ground for months at a time. My parents lived in Denver for a while, mom loved it and dad hated the winters.

Have not spent time in snow and cold in Amarillo (though I have been there several times).  My guess is that dealing with cold and snow there is significantly less pleasant than dealing with it in Telluride, simply because it is layered on top of Amarillo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

It's not for everyone, for sure.  I will always have a place in Denver, though, because I'm not sure I could handle living in the mountains from April-Memorial Day.  Everything's closed and there is mud everywhere.

• 1 month later...

Here now. The snow is great. Had 6” fresh powder the first day and did some great hike-to runs in Black Iron Bowl. We’re doing après ski in our hot tub, which is amazing when the snow is falling on you. Had carry out Brown Dog and dine-in Floradora. Fully vaxxed. Snow is coming down - tomorrow will be fun.

• Hook 'Em 2

headed to Telluride the first week of April! happy to see this thread... we're arriving the day the lifts close, which is great for us as we're not skiers lol, and also looking to avoid crowds (plus the price difference from the week before was 😮). we've been in CO/north NM area in spring so know it gets muddy... will catch the gondola our first night, probably check out nearby hot springs, maybe some hiking, if there are any good spots that time of year...any spring activity recommendations welcome, but mostly we're just going for some scenery and relaxation 😊

On 12/29/2020 at 9:53 PM, troph said:

ust spent the time BJ was on the bench on a deep dive on water rights, diversion rights, right to build ponds (fly fishing in a stock pond sounds heretical but amazing too) and right to subdivide.  The county (San Miguel) has a master plan, but exemptions for at least 35 acre subdivides. Interesting there are a number of 35-40 acre parcels for sale.  All of that is near placerville not much for sale near Rico. At least not in the filters I was using (raw land 500-1.5M). River runs right along the road near Rico and that area maybe that’s a more pricey spot. 

Heading up in two weeks to look at a 35 acre plot. Was wondering why there were so many. This one has water and utilities and ready to build. Architectural plans already approved, but probably too much house for us, so if we end up pulling the trigger, would downsize the plans. 

Wondering if seeing a plot in the snow is a bad idea?  Won’t get to see the full lay of the land. 

Edited by Biff Tannen

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Heading up in two weeks to look at a 35 acre plot. Was wondering why there were so many. This one has water and utilities and ready to build. Architectural plans already approved, but probably too much house for us, so if we end up pulling the trigger, would downsize the plans. 

Wondering if seeing a plot in the snow is a bad idea?  Won’t get to see the full lay of the land. 

super jealous!  I think seeing it in the snow is the best time to see it.  that part of CO it's an issue of accessibility in the winter.  you know it's gorgeous year round and the summer won't have any issues getting there.  I think that part of CO is so remote for Coloradans that it's relatively cheap.  That's what @Chewbacca says and it makes sense to me.  can't wait to hear about your purchase!!

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 2 years later...