Telluride

hobbs

We went a couple summers ago.  It's absolutely beautiful.  We had a great time, though I think we found that the Durango/Gunnsion vibe is a little more our speed.

Found a lot of these places with help from the old board (thanks a lot, Kevin):

Siam Thai:  Fantastic food, cool spot.  One highlight was a bluegrass band playing Marty Robbins' Big Iron on the porch of a Thai restaurant.
Brown Dog Pizza:  Lived up to its billing.  Great place, nice beer selection.
Smuggler's Brew Pub:  Good, but nothing to really distinguish itself from any of the other billion brewpubs in Colorado IMO.
Chop House:  Didn't get to go here, as no reservations were available while we were there, but it's supposed to be good.
Butcher & Baker Cafe:  This place was hyped up everywhere, but this was the worst restaurant experience I had in Colorado.  Smug, pretentious, and insistent upon itself, from the way you order to the service which couldn't be bothered to help.  And how the fuck does a place with Butcher in the name make it so hard to get some fucking bacon???  Hard pass.

Telluride Brewing Company isn't in town proper and thus not walkable,  but had really great brews.  Didn't see any food.

We stayed at the Hotel Telluride, which was very cool.  They had a gorgeous lobby, and it was a great place to hang out in the evening.  They usually had someone playing music, and my boys had a blast playing chess in front of the huge fireplace while dad enjoyed a beer from the bar.

We also rented a jeep from Colorado 145.  Hadn't done that before, but it was a great experience.  We drove up to Bridal Veil falls and did Imogene pass.  My boys had a blast.

If you decide to drive around to Ouray/Silverton/etc., one cool thing we found was the Old Hundred Mine Tour, staffed by former miners who have some cool stories to tell.

Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

We've spent a lot of time in T-ride, both winter and summer.

Restaurants

Casual:  Brown Dog, Floradora, Oak.  La Cocina y Luz can be good, or not so good, and the service stinks, but if you hit it right it's pretty good.

Nice:  New Sheridan Chophouse, Allred's (awesome views) and COsmopolitan

In Mountain Village:  Tomboy Tavern is a fun, casual spot.  Get a table outside and enjoy.  Village Table has pretty good tapas.  Black Iron is good for lunch.  Really, there aren't a lot of great restaurants in Mountain Village.  Do NOT go to Altezza at the Peaks.

Summer things to do:  If you can bike at all, try the mountain biking.  There are some relatively easy trails.  Do the Black Bear Pass tour (do not try it yourself) -- Try Dave's.  We've done a day trip to Moab to check out Arches National Park -- pretty awesome.  Also, lots of great hikes in and around Telluride --- See Forever, Alta Lake, etc.

• Like 1

Have only been in Dec/Jan and Mar ... but good meals at Telluride Bistro; Butcher and Baker, and Chop House; Brown Dog is awesome for pizza; Rustico was so-so; 221 South Oak is overpriced; have only had drinks at Cosmo; as someone mentioned, not many great culinary spots in Mtn Village.  Best spot, and an absolute must, is Allred's -- incredible views, great service, great meals. Also, if Alpino Vino is open in the summers, I'd go there too (it is on the ski mountain and ski-to place for lunch; accessible by snow-cat only for dinner).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Brown Dog Pizza is a must for us when in Telluride. We are also fond of Baked in Telluride, Siam, Alpinist and the Goat, Smuggler's, and Butcher and Baker. I would like to try Allred's and Cosmopolitan on the next trip.

A couple other places I haven't seen mentioned:

Alpino Vino - A little fine dining place at almost 12,000 feet up on the mountain. Not sure if it's open in the summer, but during ski season you can get to it from See Forever. Excellent food and really unexpected to ski into a tiny little hut with white tablecloths.

There - Tiny little bar with some food located in the west end of town, kinda close to Siam.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bobby Light said:

Mountain biking down the ski slopes is a blast

Agree on this — a lot of fun.  Though the first time I did it I applied too much front brake on a steep area with a lot of loose rock and did a header over the bars.  FInished the trail, but had a hairline fracture in my elbow.  It was a really dry year, like this one, so watch out ;)

• 1 month later...

Well, it is definitely very cool and the whole family loved it.  Town is really nice - stunning views, great weather, dog-friendly (to put it mildly) and nice people.

Food highlights were Sidework, There, 221 South Oak, Sheridan and Brown Dog.  Lots of good lighter stuff at carts on Main St., but would pass on Gnar Tacos (should've known they'd f up tacos in Colo).  Visited Baked in Telluride multiple times and there is an awesome cheese shop, Over the Moon, right by it too.

We did the Imogene Pass jeep ride, paragliding, hiking (Bear Creek Trail was our favorite) and mountain biking.  Plenty of stuff to do, even without going fishing or being able to raft (not enough water).

Will absolutely go back.  Was sitting on the porch one afternoon thinking it had gotten kind of hot....it was friggin 75.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
37 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
7 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:
Looking at maybe a summer trip...  Anyone been there lately?

One of my favorite places on earth.

We went last year during the covid summer shut down. I was poking around for land for sale this week. Favorite places on earth is right. One of the very few places we would consider leaving Austin for.

Edited by troph

We went last year during the covid summer shut down. I was poking around for land for sale this week. Favorite places on earth is right. One of the very few places we would consider leaving Austin for.
Not sure i could live there all the time, but would be near the top of the list for a second home.

8 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
8 hours ago, troph said:

Not sure i could live there all the time, but would be near the top of the list for a second home.

I probably overstated our position. We are strongly considering a second home, currently telluride is in first place.  So it’s not a permanent relo but it’s at least a partial leaving.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, troph said:

I probably overstated our position. We are strongly considering a second home, currently telluride is in first place.  So it’s not a permanent relo but it’s at least a partial leaving.  

Hey me too.  Probably more Ridgway than Telluride because holy fuck, it is expensive.

17 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Hey me too.  Probably more Ridgway than Telluride because holy fuck, it is expensive.

Ridgway on the list for sure. We are eyeing anything within 30 mins of the ski slopes.  We are in a little bit of an unfair position to most - one of us is a luxury home builder, so the preferred method is to buy raw land and build a house.  I couldn’t imagine paying someone to build there and the existing homes are stupid expensive.  We will probably futz around the area for a few years to be sure. And even then things have to go just right for us the next few to be able to have a place there.

Edited by troph

Thanks for the responses...  We've been to I-70 resort areas (Breck, Beaver Creek, etc.)  for summer and winter vacation as a family along with Crested Butte(College Days)  and Durango (High School) , so it's time to try somewhere new.  It appears that Telluride kind of caters to the older crowd if what I see is correct on the different websites and that is A-Ok since all of my kids( if they all go) are all out of the needing to do little kids stuff.   And if history repeats itself we will probably do a winter trip there after visiting during the summer first.   How is the winter driving in from the airport in Montrose to Telluride?   

2 hours ago, troph said:

Ridgway on the list for sure. We are eyeing anything within 30 mins of the ski slopes.  We are in a little bit of an unfair position to most - one of us is a luxury home builder, so the preferred method is to buy raw land and build a house.  I couldn’t imagine paying someone to build there and the existing homes are stupid expensive.  We will probably futz around the area for a few years to be sure. And even then things have to go just right for us the next few to be able to have a place there.

Get ready for sticker shock on the construction costs.  Everything costs way more than it should in the mountains, even when you're a builder.

2 hours ago, troph said:

Ridgway is almost an hour away.  To Mountain Village, 30 minutes is Placerville to the West, or Rico to the South.

49 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Ridgway is almost an hour away.  To Mountain Village, 30 minutes is Placerville to the West, or Rico to the South.

that's good to know, couldn't remember how far Ridgway is.  we camped in our fifth wheel near Rico last time on some private property, that town shouldn't even be on the map but it was an easy drive to Telluride.  I've seen some property in Placerville that looks interesting.  the raw land (acreage) we've seen that was most compelling is near Ridgway another lot (single family lot) we liked was on the way to Mountain Village - a bit concerned about the deed restrictions near there, all the places look the same.  those national forest pics are on the route from Rico to Telluride.

Edited by troph

you can pay $800K for a tear down in Zilker (and then have to build) or you can buy something like this for a summer escape (80 acres):

https://www.telluriderealestates.com/listing/38805/tbd-san-juan-vista-drive-placerville-co-81430/

two parcels: build and sell one, build and keep the other.  use profits from build one to pay for a decent chunk of the land and the cost of your own build.  other than exorbitant material costs, and it taking 5 years to build because of remoteness, weather challenges and who the heck wants to work when you can live the outdoor dream in Colorado and no one to work because it's too expensive to live there, I see no problems.

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, troph said:

you can pay $800K for a tear down in Zilker (and then have to build) or you can buy something like this for a summer escape (80 acres):

https://www.telluriderealestates.com/listing/38805/tbd-san-juan-vista-drive-placerville-co-81430/

two parcels: build and sell one, build and keep the other.  use profits from build one to pay for a decent chunk of the land and the cost of your own build.  other than exorbitant material costs, and it taking 5 years to build because of remoteness, weather challenges and who the heck wants to work when you can live the outdoor dream in Colorado and no one to work because it's too expensive to live there, I see no problems.

Last Dollar Ranch area is unbelievably beautiful.  Do it.

I'm amazed it is only $10k/acre in there.  Shit in Grand County around me is going for $50-100k/acre for 2-5 acre lots and $35k an acre on bigger (30+) acre lots.  I'm surprised at the price difference.

Edited by Chewbacca

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

You're right, but damn, it doesn't seem that long.  Also, Ridgway to Ouray is 20 minutes.  Either way, that whole area is great.

It is a pretty easy drive.  There is the one “pass” not too far from the Ralph Lauren ranch, but it’s about the least intimidating pass I’ve ever been on

16 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
35 minutes ago, troph said:
Damn y’all. I got derailed from a decent day of work all up in here thinking about all things telluride.  I should hate you all. 

You're welcome. When i think about Telluride, i am in a good mood.

I am too I was just kidding.  

• Like 1