2018 MLB Draft thread

zork

Bohls on the draft.     PerfectGame had Henley being eligible (21) and Bohls confirms.    I think Kingham leaves.   I love Nolan but he does not seem to be fond of the academic side of the house (2 suspensions for not meeting academic requirements).

. Texas, whose roster was decimated by last year’s draft that took 11 players and most of its pitching staff, could get hit hard again this week by the major-league free-agent draft. Texas will likely lose Clemens and perhaps its entire starting rotation of Nolan Kingham, Shugart and Blair Henley and may also say goodbye to top relievers Andy McGuire, Parker Joe Robinson and Josh Sawyer. Pierce will probably get back third baseman Ryan Reynolds, shortstop David Hamilton, catcher D.J. Petrinsky, Hibbeler and center fielder Duke Ellis.

https://www.mystatesman.com/sports/college-baseball/bohls-hall-fame-nod-for-swindell-high-draft-pick-for-clemens/cg9DNc0jk2Radb7sEgo1SP/

11 hours ago, Horny Bull said:

huge news to get Madden to campus. Not sure where Madden is ranked now but he was the #67 overall recruit when he committed. Top 100 recruits rarely make it to campus. 

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2017/8/1/16075980/ty-madden-texas-longhorns-baseball-david-pierce-rice-owls

Edited by texasstrong12

7 hours ago, OrangeBlack&Gold said:

Was Bohls' piece written after all our guys fell today?

Bohls thought Shugart and Kingham were going to be drafted much higher than what's actually happened. Both could still leave but Bohls was thinking they would be early round selections. 

Edited by texasstrong12

10 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Kingham and Shugart fell past where most thought they would. 

Now we wait on Henley and the HS signees. 

Any thoughts on if they go? Seems like Kingham will based on what @torre pointed out, but I'm hopeful Shugart would return. Seems like he has a good amount of space left on his development curve and could really benefit from a solid senior season, granted he loses all money leverage if he returns.

8 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Any thoughts on if they go? Seems like Kingham will based on what @torre pointed out, but I'm hopeful Shugart would return. Seems like he has a good amount of space left on his development curve and could really benefit from a solid senior season, granted he loses all money leverage if he returns.

No clue, but I do think Kingham is gone based on the suspensions. 

10 minutes ago, Rollo Tomassi said:

What's the timing for players to decide whether to sign w/ a team or go to college?

I believe it's early-mid July

Edit: I read the post wrong, thought you were asking about current players

Edited by Horny Bull

Congrats to all the draftees thus far,  especially  Josh Sawyer.

What tenacity to battle thru those injuries !   He is bright, young man (finance major) who could easily have pursued a professional career outside of baseball.

Henley may stay depending on his personal thoughts.   He was drafted in the 22nd round from high school.

3 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Shugart drafted by the Red Sox.  I see Kurt is as accurate as ever. 

Hey, lay off me, my job isn’t easy....I mean Kirk’s job isn’t easy.  

Oh my, I hope I haven’t outed myself....

• 5 weeks later...

Mississippi State is the big winner today as HS P 1st round pick TJ Ginn will not sign with the Dodgers and will go to school.  And Carter Stewart, another MSU signee, and the #8 overall pick has not agreed to terms with the Braves with less than 3 hours to go.  Evidently the Braves found an issue with his wrist and are trying to sign him for $4 million rather than $6 million+.

Stewart may go JUCO, though, and enter the draft next year.

#8 overall pick Carter Stewart did not sign.   Wow. Wonder where he will go?

And Ole Miss signee Gunnar Hogland, who was a first round pick did not sign. 

The two Mississippi schools have had some big breaks in the last two weeks.  First, each had an All American give up all leverage and decide to return for their senior season (Mangum and Oleneck).  Then, they have 3 combined 1st round picks decide not to sign.

Those things almost never happen, and rarely in the same year to the same school. Both will unfortunately be legit CWS contenders next year. 

2 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

Idk what Stewart is smoking. I don’t care how good you are in college, your odds of besting the #8 overall pick is very slim, especially for a pitcher where your arm can blow up at anytime. Seems very stupid.

They offered him 40% of the 8 slot value, or $1.9 million.  If he’s drafted anywhere in the first round or compensatory round, he will exceed that. 

Not easy, but one year in juco showing the wrist is fine and he could do that.  Could be significant. 

23 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

think they offered much closer to slot which is $4M. 

Doesn’t the tweet you linked say the opposite?  That they offered “a lot closer to the 40%” (1.9) “than to pick value” (4.98). 

FWIW, I got the numbers all wrong in my post yesterday afternoon.  

Edited by Don Johnson

22 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Both will unfortunately be legit CWS contenders next year. 

Ole Miss will be legit in the regular season but they are never a CWS contender with Bianco as their coach. 1 CWS in 18 years at Ole Miss. 

Bianco is a good coach but has no clue how to win when it matters.