Austin FC

Bottlecap

PSV and city reports came out today. Very strong proposal from PSV and city report is also supportive. It would take a fool to be opposed to this thing.

Leslie Pool continues to be hot garbage with her comments. Meeting with her Tuesday in a small group. Hope soccer comes up.

1 hour ago, skipperj said:

The fight on Twitter is getting fun. This latest move by COTA has brought out the best in everyone.

What's the latest move? Are people giving COTA shit on twitter? Their twitter guy is very defensive. 

Edited by wood

11 hours ago, utee94 said:

Who is Leslie Pool?

I now officially live in Cedar Park, and do not understand your strange, Austin ways.

A terrible city council member, different from other terrible city council members insomuch as she can’t seem to make a complete thought. Alter is almost as terrible, but she sounds way smarter about it.

19 hours ago, wood said:

What's the latest move? Are people giving COTA shit on twitter? Their twitter guy is very defensive. 

Much of the fight I’ve seen is between the Austin soccer community and people from Columbus or San Antonio who have suddenly become very concerned about affordable housing in Austin.

26 minutes ago, skittlebrau said:

Much of the fight I’ve seen is between the Austin soccer community and people from Columbus or San Antonio who have suddenly become very concerned about affordable housing in Austin.

Ah, ok. The COTAs & Susan Spataros of the world...

Don't forget about Creative Spaces.

Edited by wood

14 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

The stadium rendition looks outstanding. Not sure how even the CC could fuck this up - but I’m sure they will find a way to do so.

The good thing is they only need six votes. I’m guessing Mayor/Pio/Tovo/Casar/Flannigan are in. Pool/Alter are out. Means they just need one out of Garza/Kitchen/Houston/Troxy. Seems like the kind of thing Troxclair could support and I can see Garza being on board if there’s a commitment to small business.

The good thing is they only need six votes. I’m guessing Mayor/Pio/Tovo/Casar/Flannigan are in. Pool/Alter are out. Means they just need one out of Garza/Kitchen/Houston/Troxy. Seems like the kind of thing Troxclair could support and I can see Garza being on board if there’s a commitment to small business.

When is the vote on this thing?

24 minutes ago, UrbanAchiever said:

No. They would play 2019 and probably 2020 in a temporary place - probably Mike Myers. 

yikes, that first year at mike myers would be rough.  traffic.  the pitch ringed by a track.  at least the actual field is nice. 

4 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

yikes, that first year at mike myers would be rough.  traffic.  the pitch ringed by a track.  at least the actual field is nice. 

It holds 20,000, and they can sell beer. It's checks those two major boxes that no place else probably could. 

2 hours ago, UrbanAchiever said:

It holds 20,000, and they can sell beer. It's checks those two major boxes that no place else probably could. 

Check and check.  It'll do.

They seldom look as good as the renderings, but if it turned out even 75% that would be a very cool facility.

Any discussion of pedestrian bridges over the nearby major roads to make access easier to The Domain and such?

Was it this thread or a baseball thread that mentioned some work going on at mike Myers? I'll see if I can find it...

ETA: Here it is. Tony Soprano posted this Monday in a baseball thread talking about the turf on our various fields. Anyone got the scoop? Is it happening?

Anyone know what they have been doing at Mike Myers? The grass was removed and it's all dirt now.

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, wood said:

Was it this thread or a baseball thread that mentioned some work going on at mike Myers? I'll see if I can find it...

ETA: Here it is. Tony Soprano posted this Monday in a baseball thread talking about the turf on our various fields. Anyone got the scoop? Is it happening?

PSV isn't doing anything there until they are sure they have a deal. So, I think it's unrelated. Also, the last potential deal I read was that PSV would play at DKR, not Myers, in exchange for grass.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

When is the vote on this thing?

Team continues to strongly push the narrative that it has to happen by the end of June, if it's going to happen at all.

Good to hear about Kitchen. Feel like this is wrapped up as long as it can get a vote. Which, considering CodeNEXT issues, is not guaranteed.

Edited by skittlebrau

10 minutes ago, skittlebrau said:

PSV isn't doing anything there until they are sure they have a deal. So, I think it's unrelated. Also, the last potential deal I read was that PSV would play at DKR, not Myers, in exchange for grass.

As in they would install natural turf at DKR?

Or they would get stoned.

From an early May AAS article 

The Longhorns almost had a deal in place to install grass — for free, too. The American-Statesman reported Wednesday that Anthony Precourt’s group nearly reached a one-year lease agreement worth $5 million to install grass and bring the Columbus Crew Major League Soccer franchise to Royal-Memorial Stadium.

According to an MLS source, Crew officials now regret not pushing that deal through.

If Herman is already concerned about offseason wear and tear, how would professional soccer matches affect the playing surface? Most college and NFL grass fields show wear and tear by November.

Think that deal is still alive.

• Like 1

Just now, skipperj said:

Just joking. I have seen several stories on this. They might have been on the old site. For sure on the MLS FB pages.

Ah, yeah. I've slept since the old board was stolen. Memory wiped.

My favorite thing about this whole saga is the Austin politics experts from Columbus that can analyze our council from afar. The amount of people on Reddit, Twitter, etc. that think that Leslie Pool isn't NIMBY is incredible.

Reminder, she's the person who gave this insane speech:

and was furious when Adler made these amendments:

14 hours ago, skipperj said:

Any twitter thread on Austin FC is overrun by save the crew and SAFC people. 

Also, after twenty years of McKalla place sitting there, there are all of a sudden developers that want to make it an arts district.

I ended up getting sucked into a Twitter argument a couple days ago with some guy from Columbus who was suddenly an expert on the history of economic development and budgeting in the city of Austin.

On 6/8/2018 at 11:08 PM, skipperj said:

Any twitter thread on Austin FC is overrun by save the crew and SAFC people. 

Also, after twenty years of McKalla place sitting there, there are all of a sudden developers that want to make it an arts district.

That's the lulziest bit of all IMO.  

Riiiiiiiggghhhhhtttttttt.........

http://mls2atx.com/poll-shows-74-percent-austinites-welcome-major-league-soccer/

Poll shows 74 percent of Austinites would welcome Major League Soccer
Survey by Opinion Analysts indicates wide margins of support in all council districts

AUSTIN—A recent survey by Opinion Analysts that polled 400 likely Austin voters shows that three out of four Austinites approve of bringing a Major League Soccer (MLS) team to town. After hearing detailed specifics of putting a privately funded soccer-specific stadium and soccer park at McKalla Place, 72 percent of respondents still support the plan.

Precourt Sports Ventures, which is exploring moving its MLS club to Austin, paid for the survey. Dave Greeley, president of Precourt Sports Ventures, said the poll results were heartening. “The numbers validate what previous polls have shown—Austinites support having a Major League Soccer team here. The latest poll also shows that respondents approve of McKalla Place as the site for the club to use private funding for a stadium and soccer park.”

Most important to the respondents were the facts that Precourt Sports Ventures would not only build a stadium to host soccer matches and community events, but also create a surrounding park with abundant green space, walkability, performance grounds and open space and staging areas for Austinites to enjoy 52 weeks a year. Also key to supporters were the facts that the stadium and soccer park would be built using only private money and that Major League Soccer game schedules—with most games on Saturday and Sunday evenings—would have little impact during peak traffic hours.

“We were pleased to see wide margins of support in all council districts,” David Butts, an Austin political consultant who is serving as an advisor for this project, said. “We look forward to sharing the results of this poll with our elected leaders, as we know it will be important to them to hear input from their constituents.”

The survey indicated approval ratings for bringing Major League Soccer to Austin, broken down by city council district, as follows:

District 1 (Houston):         80.5%
District 2 (Garza):             60.6%
District 3 (Renteria):         74.5%
District 4 (Casar):             64.6%
District 5 (Kitchen):          77.6%
District 6 (Flannigan):       79.3%
District 7 (Pool):              63.8%
District 8 (Troxclair):        81.5%
District 9 (Tovo):             71.3%
District 10 (Alter):            69.3%

“We have a unique vision for McKalla Place way beyond major league sports. It includes hundreds of millions of dollars in economic impact for the City of Austin and Travis County, significant community benefits with a focus on affordable housing through collaboration with Foundation Communities, assurances to protect the City of Austin and opportunities for the community to enjoy a parcel of land that has sat vacant for more than two decades,” Greeley said. “We are pleased that Austinites are as excited as we are about this vision and plan.”

The Austin City Council is scheduled to discuss the future of Major League Soccer in Austin and the potential of a privately funded soccer stadium at McKalla Place during its work session on Tuesday, June 12, 2018.

Survey respondents were drawn from a list of likely voters in Austin city elections on the basis of prior voting history and were distributed geographically according to voter turnout patterns in similar elections. The interviews were conducted by phone between May 29, 2018 and June 3, 2018. The results of a random sample survey of this size are statistically accurate to within a +/- 4.9 percent at the 95 percent confidence level.

7 hours ago, APMP said:

Hmm I live in D7. Is there a suggested message. Should I just call and say hi I wanted you know that this D7 resident is for the stadium at McKalla?

That’s pretty much it. If you want to add that it’s a net positive to the community as a whole, with possibilities way beyond soccer (like concerts),and would create a bunch of jobs, that would be even better.