Austin FC

Bottlecap

On 4/6/2021 at 7:16 PM, Somnio said:

EyTJ7N2WUAMWc0l.jpeg

The corner this shot is from is also a super interesting part of the building. I’ve heard that it’s going to be a place to hang and drink a beer from the bar behind it, an area where they are selling standing room tickets, a spot that can be reserved for a group or some combination of the three.

3 hours ago, Somnio said:

Alguien con el mate (con yerba y bombilla) y un termo... Fagúndez puede ser .

There are 4 mate drinkers on the team, 2 from Paraguay, 1 from Uruguay*, y 1 from Argentina. That bodes well for this season.

*Really kind of American, since he's had his green card since 2013 and may have citizenship, but has lived in the USA since he was 5. (He's 26.)

Edited by Napoleon

Just now, gmr548 said:

I don’t know much about soccer tactically, but knowing LAFC is one of the better MLS clubs, Austin seems at least competent. And it’s just cool to see in general.

Some poor decisions in the final third but I'm not sure if that's just MLS level play or what. Some of it definitely is. They've overall been the better side through a half. 

39 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Seeing "Austin" up there is very cool. I know this is not a big 4 league in this country but it's still a little surreal. A lot of kids that grew up here including myself dreamed that we'd have SOMETHING like this someday. 

Just an interesting fact I recently learned, before the pandemic MLS was drawing more fans to it's games than both NBA and NHL.

I'm not saying that's the only metric to judge a league upon, but MLS is a pretty big deal these days.  It's come a long ways since it was founded in 1996.

Edited by Somnio

35 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Serious (read: stupid) questions.  When LAFC began 3 years ago, where did fans come from?  Did a bunch of Galaxy and Chivas fans just switch allegiances?  Was there some huge throng of LA soccer fans that couldn’t accept a team called “The Galaxy”?  

I’m thinkin more of the fact Lafc is la. 

galaxy in Carson. 40 mins with traffic southwest of la

also  cool colors new stadium  fresh start to join something new  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Just an interesting fact I recently learned, before the pandemic MLS was drawing more fans to it's games than both NBA and NHL.

I'm not saying that's the only metric to judge a league upon, but MLS is a pretty big deal these days.  It's come a long ways since it was founded in 1996.

Hmm. There's what, 3 times as many games in NHL and NBA? And there are a few football stadiums inflating that for MLS.

Not insinuating that it isn't popular - but I wouldn't say it's a "pretty big deal". Most people don't care. Which regionally can be true about hockey, too, I guess.

I mean - for example - I'm a big soccer fan and I don't give a shit about the MLS. I might now now that my city has a team, but overall it doesn't really interest me. 

It's getting better, but it's still kind of a meh product and nowhere close to the big 3 especially.