Austin FC

Bottlecap

Five halftime comments:

1. Great to finally see a game at the stadium.
  2. Love the energy of the team and the crowd.
  3. Never seen a soccer game when they let the teams take a water break.
  4. Cecilio really sold that dive after the phantom slap to the face.
  5. Is the grass going to hold up through the rest of the summer?

What do y'all think of Ring's play so far?  I'm no expert, just a soccer dad, but it feels to me that he gets dangerously close to cards without a lot of value offered.  And, of course, he managed to red card himself out of a match earlier in the season.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What do y'all think of Ring's play so far?  I'm no expert, just a soccer dad, but it feels to me that he gets dangerously close to cards without a lot of value offered.  And, of course, he managed to red card himself out of a match earlier in the season.

I felt like him shoving that guy in the back was a bit of revenge for that noncall that'd just happened but, yeah, it was stupid and pointless.

Five halftime comments:
  1. Great to finally see a game at the stadium.
  2. Love the energy of the team and the crowd.
  3. Never seen a soccer game when they let the teams take a water break.
  4. Cecilio really sold that dive after the phantom slap to the face.
  5. Is the grass going to hold up through the rest of the summer?
The water breaks occur in games above certain temperatures. Happens a lot.
Ring is huge for us. His impulsiveness has always been a part of who he is. But he is one of our top three players in terms of importance.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, gsoda3 said:

Ring is huge for us. His impulsiveness has always been a part of who he is. But he is one of our top three players in terms of importance.

I'll take your word for it.  It's hard to see what he's bringing to the table compared to Stuver, Dominguez, Gallagher, Fagundez.

1 minute ago, gsoda3 said:

The water breaks occur in games above certain temperatures. Happens a lot.

It makes sense and I'm glad they let them do it. Most of the soccer I've watched, fairly limited, has been matches between European clubs or national teams like at the World Cup or Olympics where the heat hasn't been too much of an issue I guess. 

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'll take your word for it.  It's hard to see what he's bringing to the table compared to Stuver, Dominguez, Gallagher, Fagundez.

He covers a fuckton of ground and wins a lot of 50/50s. I wish he didn’t wear his idiot hat so often as well, but he does a ton of the non flashy stuff well. 

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

It makes sense and I'm glad they let them do it. Most of the soccer I've watched, fairly limited, has been matches between European clubs or national teams like at the World Cup or Olympics where the heat hasn't been too much of an issue I guess. 

First time I remember them on a consistent basis was 2014, when FIFA thought it would be a good idea to play games in the middle of the fucking rain forest.

Don’t worry though, Manaus is quite refreshing during the winter months.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, drt said:

He covers a fuckton of ground and wins a lot of 50/50s. I wish he didn’t wear his idiot hat so often as well, but he does a ton of the non flashy stuff well. 

yes to all those.  he also makes key tackles.  overall a calming presence in the middle of the field and he's always where he's supposed to be.  very michael bradley like. 

8 minutes ago, drt said:

OK, I'll try to watch for that more.  Like I said, just a soccer dad, although my kid plays at a pretty high level, but I have to admit I view soccer through a lens that is hyper focused on his position.

36 minutes ago, bolverk said:

They're doing it at a lot of the Euro 2020 (that's being played right now) matches.

Highlights: Stuver (although I don’t like him having to make those plays) and Fagundez (dude has incredible hustle and never quits on a play).

Disappointments: Ring (not the galvanizing presence I’d hoped to see) and Pochettino (he can’t finish, seems to get jittery when he gets close to the goal).

Loved the atmosphere and crowd. And we sit right behind Fagundez’s family, hope we’ll get to see them often.

• Hook 'Em 1

So Pochettino despite his one really nice ball into the box tonight has been a zero for me through 9 games.  And he’s a DP.  At least Cecilio seems to be adding value.  

Am I missing something?  
I feel the same about Pochettino. He's not been a factor at all.

As much as I like Gallagher I wish he had more of a killer instinct at the end of his runs.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

First time I remember them on a consistent basis was 2014, when FIFA thought it would be a good idea to play games in the middle of the fucking rain forest.

Don’t worry though, Manaus is quite refreshing during the winter months.

C'mon. You can't knock a World Cup hosted in Brazil. They earned it. 

The Olympics.... yeah... 

Why doesn't Kekuta rate more for this team? I presume because he has always been a little weak on defense.

He only got a few touches but he created some good havoc.

The defense takes no chances and is very well organized. Odd to have the opposite on offense ehich seems very disjointed and very dependent on low percentage chances.

I don't know what Fagundez needs to do but he made some great runs tonight only to have his teammates choose poorly and send it elsewhere. I feel like he could have had two goals tonight, if they looked for him properly.

Great game. My voice is gone and legs are exhausted. Loved it!

Edited by pacman

3 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

MLS can’t consider itself a real league until 38 year old Chris Wondolowski doesn’t look like peak Andrea Pirlo. 

You’re going with the completely wrong position and motherland.

Poland-born 🇵🇱 peak Miroslav Klose is a better comparison for American-Polak Wondolowski.

3 hours ago, trza-hawk said:

Okay, what does "listos" mean?

3 hours ago, MillerEP said:

“Ready”

Listos? = Are you (pl) ready?

Listos! = We’re ready!

NOTE: “Listos” can also be used as a plural masculine adjective meaning “smart”, but that would never be used in that way at a fútbol match. 

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

You’re going with the completely wrong position and motherland.

Poland-born 🇵🇱 peak Miroslav Klose is a better comparison for American-Polak Wondolowski.

Listos? = Are you (pl) ready?

Listos! = We’re ready!

NOTE: “Listos” can also be used as a plural masculine adjective meaning “smart”, but that would never be used in that way at a fútbol match. 

Along the same lines, why all the Spanish? Listos, Verde, etc? 

33 minutes ago, fluff said:

Because Latinos go to games all season long. White fans are traditionally not as dependable for MLS teams. So, apparently teams are willing to cater to the Latino demographic to make more money.

😳🤷‍♂️

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Man shit was fun. I’m so glad I’m in the supporter section with Los Verdes. 
West side of the stadium has very west side memorial stadium type energy.

As a west sider I represent that comment. Lots of middle aged folks and families. It is what it is. I’m glad the supporters were doing their thing. I cheered and clapped a lot but I’m about 10 years past my pogoing and screaming for two hours straight days. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

As a west sider I represent that comment. Lots of middle aged folks and families. It is what it is. I’m glad the supporters were doing their thing. I cheered and clapped a lot but I’m about 10 years past my pogoing and screaming for two hours straight days. 

This. We sit in a section with a lot of families, including families with pretty young kids (including some of the players’ families). We got plenty loud and enthusiastic, but no, we weren’t on our feet and yelling all 90 minutes. I’m okay with that - we have a great supporters section with fantastic energy. Wouldn’t mind joining them for a game or two. But game-in, game-out? Naaah, I’m too old for that shit.

Plus, we’re right next to the Sonoran hot dog stand, and they already know my wife by name.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, fluff said:

Seriously, right?  And what's with all the French during the Montreal games during this Stanley cup series?  

6 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Man shit was fun. I’m so glad I’m in the supporter section with Los Verdes. 
West side of the stadium has very west side memorial stadium type energy.

I was in 234 and loved how the Verdes sounded all game. The chants in person around town have sounded ok, but at the game it was like a heartbeat for the action. It was great. We moved over there for the last 15 minutes to meet some friends. Nobody checking tickets or anything. 

Went last night and had a great time.  So many chances went begging, which was frustrating, but an entertaining game for a 0-0 draw.

The stadium is beautiful and is really intimate.  I also liked all of the local brands all over the place.  Really adds to a sense of community.  Definitely some crowd control kinks to work out, but it's the first home game for the team, so that's going to happen. I know there was the USWNT game, but a mid week game is a different animal than a Saturday night franchise opener.  

We were in the Lexus Lounge area on the west side and agree on the earlier comments about the west side being like the UT games.  Not the most into it crowd and definitely want to spend some time in the Supporter's Section in the future.  The Lexus Lounge has a pretty average group of "free" beer options and the good stuff was extra.  The Electric Jellyfish was $17, which is just fucking wild.  More than $1 an ounce.  LOL.  I'll stick with the free shit. 

After the game, we met some friends in the beer hall for a post game drink, which is a cool place.  By the time we got to the car, there was no traffic, so I think that's the play at future games.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1