Austin FC

Bottlecap

On 1/15/2019 at 5:49 PM, ztejas said:

Does FC Dallas have any traditions this lame? Besides being in Frisco...

I may have a decision to make. 

I was a 96er and founding member of the inferno responsible for a number of supporter "firsts" (traditions) in MLS, one of which has been copied by every MLS supporters group, as well as crystal palace and everton supporters.

I can assure you there is no longer anything "authentic" about the non-latin support for the dallas mls franchise.

But "The Eyes of Austin".... ??? .... who the fuck thought that would fly?:

hymn.png

3 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I was a 96er and founding member of the inferno responsible for a number of supporter "firsts" (traditions) in MLS, one of which has been copied by every MLS supporters group, as well as crystal palace and everton supporters.

I can assure you there is no longer anything "authentic" about the non-latin support for the dallas mls franchise.

hymn.png

The entire sheet is like a Portlandia sketch making fun of Austin.

Except it wasn't supposed to be satire. 

I can picture Fred Armisen with a banjo singing these hymns at an old folks home while Carrie Brownstein sets the rhythm on tambourine.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

hymn.png

Wait, I’m pretty sure that wasn’t actually 6. Good schtick.

Was in a meeting with CM Flannigan today and he tried to start up a “7-4” chant. I laughed.

18 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

hymn.png

Was an original season ticket holder. Remember the excitement when my ticket rep told me about the machine Leonel Alvarez. Also how Kreis was better than Eck which surprised me.  Good times. First game was a shootout win, right?

2 hours ago, pied said:

Was an original season ticket holder. Remember the excitement when my ticket rep told me about the machine Leonel Alvarez. Also how Kreis was better than Eck which surprised me.  Good times. First game was a shootout win, right?

i believe it was.  i want to say san jose.  too lazy to google.

16 hours ago, Bort said:

Song sheets are so fucking lame. Get a bunch of people to stand in one area and let it happen naturally. 

We still talking about the Gang Bang?

hymn.png

Holy shit Inferno!! That's OG shit

• 3 weeks later...

Austinites To Vote On Whether They Want To Vote On Sports And Entertainment Venues On City Land. Vote won't affect McKalla MLS deal with City of Austin:  

http://www.tinyurl.com/y5kdybfx

Austinites will be asked in November if they want to vote on whether city land can be used for future stadiums and entertainment sites.

The vote will determine if residents get a say in deals similar to the one the city negotiated last year for a Major League Soccer stadium. It would not stop Precourt Sports Ventures from bringing the Austin FC soccer team to North Austin. 

“When we talk about what this election is about with our constituents and people in the community, we need to make sure that we’re not referring to this as anything that has to do with a soccer stadium at McKalla, because it doesn’t,” Mayor Steve Adler said during a City Council meeting Thursday. “We entered into a lease concerning that property, and the Constitution wouldn’t let us go back and end a lease that already exists, because there’s a prohibition against retroactive laws.”

Stadiums are relatively rare considerations. If passed, the ordinance would more likely affect lease renewals for properties like the Zach Theatre, YMCA facilities, the Millennium Youth Complex and the West Austin Youth Association ballfields.

The ballot question is in response to a petition filed last month by Fair Play Austin, a political action committee. The PAC is backed by Circuit of the Americas Chairman Bobby Epstein, who also owns the United Soccer League team the Austin Bold. It was started in an effort to delay the MLS stadium deal.

Council Member Greg Casar said the move was all about one group starting a soccer team attempting to hurt another group starting a soccer team.

“At best, the whole thing is a frustrating waste of hundreds of thousands of city dollars,” he said. “And at worst, it’s a corporate power play that could come at great expense to Austinites.” 

City staff estimate the election will cost the city $500,000.

18 minutes ago, skittlebrau said:

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy. Interesting to see the strong comments from Casar, who seemed pretty quiet through the whole deal up to this point.

Yeah I thought that was pretty interesting too. Seems the word is out now re: BE.

Soccer notebook: Austin FC season tickets to go on sale late spring http://statesman.com/sports/20190226/soccer-notebook-austin-fc-season-tickets-to-go-on-sale-late-spring

Soccer notebook: Austin FC season tickets to go on sale late spring

By Chris Bils 

Owners of Austin Beerworks got a taste of what match day might feel like once Austin FC kicks off in 2021. The brewery had a line to the door for nearly two hours as fans mingled with the team’s front office during a meet-and-greet.

Austin FC president Andy Loughnane broke a little news during a short question-and-answer session on Feb. 19 when he revealed that a season ticket campaign will kick off in late May or early June. No details were given about pricing.

Additionally, Loughnane said he was “willing to go on record” saying there will be craft beer at the stadium, and that the supporters section will emulate safe standing models implemented in new venues for Orlando City SC and Los Angeles FC.

He also said that while the franchise will field academy teams — including one this fall — it will not get in the business of running pay-for-play select teams.

Loughnane was asked about the other professional franchise in town, Austin Bold FC, that will kick off in March at Circuit of the Americas. The United Soccer League Championship side is owned by COTA chairman Bobby Epstein, who donated more than $128,000 to canvassers to gather signatures for a petition aimed at thwarting the Austin FC stadium deal.

“I’m not going to address that question head-on,” he said. “We’re supportive of soccer at all levels. USL is an outstanding league.”

Final countdown: Though its home opener is still more than a month away, the Bold is going through final preparations for its first league match March 9 in Las Vegas.

With Brazilian forward André Lima’s arrival this week, all of the team’s 24 rostered players are now in camp.

Sponsorship announcements are forthcoming. The Bold has reached a deal with a jersey sponsor that will be revealed at a ceremony on March 5. The club will soon announce an agreement with hotel sponsor Courtyard by Marriott Austin Pflugerville, where opposing teams will stay and is currently in negotiations for a stadium naming-rights partner.

13 hours ago, Lobo said:

A $500,000 election on a settled topic involving a third tier soccer franchise in another city.  

But the independent audit was too expensive? 

Got it. 

What tie are you trying to do between these things? Council didn't want either of them, but they have to put this on the ballot.

• 3 weeks later...

The Rezone application was filed for the stadium land. Hopefully it doesn't become another circus when it gets to city council in a couple months for approval. They should have enough votes to approve it in 1 meeting. 

The Rezone called for:

-22,000 seat stadium (up from 20k we had heard before

-130 Housing Units

-27k car trips on game days (1 car per 1.24 attendees which I think is high. Vast majority of people are going to be in carpools of 2-3 people.

-Max Height of 130 Feet (Erwin Center is 106' for reference)

-Food Truck allowed

-Site Plan lasts 7 years (That is for the residential housing which they will build once the stadium is done)

-I think they are trying to get it so you can have Booz outside the stadium but it's not clear. 

I really hope the city finds itself in a situation with land for affordable housing but no more money to build anything and we can move the affordable units from the stadium to that land. Developing that area into a retail complex would be so much better. Bars/restaurants etc. 

2 hours ago, Pasken said:

I really hope the city finds itself in a situation with land for affordable housing but no more money to build anything and we can move the affordable units from the stadium to that land. Developing that area into a retail complex would be so much better. Bars/restaurants etc. 

Why not both in a mixed-use project? Ground floor commercial space and housing above. And the city wouldn't be committing money to the housing portion except a little through GO bonds. It would probably be financed through whatever Foundation Communities decides.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We got our first Sponsor!

Via  Daniel Salazar at ABJ

St. David's will get naming rights for the team's practice facility, the St. David's Performance Center. And St. David's will have primary branding rights on the training jerseys for the team and staff.

These are not the jerseys the team will wear when it takes the field for actual games in 2021. That sponsorship is expected at a later time — and could be a major deal for a local corporation or national brand. Other MLS jersey sponsorships have clocked in at around $2 million to $5 million annually, according to the Chicago Tribune.

The Austin-based hospital system will be its official health care and training partner. St. David's will provide health care services at all Austin FC home matches and stadium events, as well as wellness services for the team's players and staff.

Austin FC said it would announce the location of the St. David's Performance Center "in the coming months." The team has kept the search for a practice facility closer to the vest compared with last year's search for a stadium site, which spanned several months and sparked a larger political fight over the fate of McKalla Place.

But Austin city staff have floated at least one location, a parkland tract near I-35 and State Highway 45, as a potential practice facility, according to records obtained last May by the Austin Business Journal.

On 5/11/2019 at 9:46 AM, Neonmoon said:

When they breaking ground on this biatch?

Late summer. 

On 5/25/2019 at 3:16 PM, Gardner Barnes said:

I saw that. Didn’t they technically save the crew. Why so sour?

They didn't save shit. The Haslams "saved" the Crew. Then the 'fans' went right back to staying away in droves like they always did, which is precisely why the Crew was in trouble in the first place.

42 minutes ago, wood said:

They didn't save shit. The Haslams "saved" the Crew. Then the 'fans' went right back to staying away in droves like they always did, which is precisely why the Crew was in trouble in the first place.

I wouldn't be surprised if the team folds in a couple years if the stadium effort stalls. I'm sure Haslem has protection from MLS that will give him an out without losing his investment. 

46 minutes ago, wood said:

Should be deposits for season tickets. I don't think we'll see news on the practice stadium until after they get their final city council approval next Thursday.