Austin FC

Bottlecap

15 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

Looks like a 3rd newcastle kit. Its fine, but some of those concept jerseys were awesome. Vertical stripes make my dad bod look like a hill country road, so I'll probably defer to the away shirt.

13 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

Starting to grow on me. If we keep stripes as our "thing" that would be pretty cool.

Perhaps the kit will be the incentive to work on the dad bod.

Puede ser.

• Hook 'Em 1

Need a recommendation guys.  I want to order an Austin FC jersey, but had a couple of questions.  Authentic or replica?  Also, I normally wear Large t-shirts.  Are these jerseys true to size?  I hate the idea of dropping $100 plus dollars on a shirt that I never wear because it doesn't fit right.

On 12/8/2020 at 12:32 PM, skittlebrau said:

One week from today, we should be able to field most of a team. Expansion draft on 12/15. Assuming we'll also pick up Cascante from Portland during the half-day trade window on the 13th and this Aguilar stuff seems to have a lot of legs.

I hope so that would be a fun addition.

Well dammit, now Aguilar and Layun have both been shot down. But, the club will be streaming the expansion draft on Monday at 5 p.m.

https://www.austinfc.com/post/2020/12/09/austin-fc-select-five-players-during-2020-mls-expansion-draft

Also, there should be a group of folks meeting up at Hopsquad for a watch party/Food Bank food drive on Saturday for the MLS Final.

37 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Good, bad, neutral? I’d love some analysis on some of these guys.

Seems like they're MLS journeymen back-ups. I don't think any of them will be all stars, but they know MLS and all of them were pretty cheap. 

Edit: That's unfair to Nick Lima. He's been a staple of SJ's squad and has made few MLS squad USMNT appearances. 

Edited by SimonBolivar

27 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Cascante is official. That makes the squad a symmetrical 2 from Paraguay, Costa Rica, and the US right now.

https://www.austinfc.com/rostertracker

You’re going to want to go get yourself an Argentine, but maybe one or both of the Paraguayos have Argentine connections. 

EDIT: Dominguez comes to Austin from Independiente, one of Argentina’s Big 5 clubs. 

Edited by Napoleon

Lima and Gallagher are very solid. Segura should be a flexible option as a utility man. Excellent business on the day to pick up five players.

Phil West just wrote a good summary piece for the club website.

https://www.austinfc.com/post/2020/12/13/austin-fc-signs-new-players-through-trade-window

We will be breaking down all 10 players the club acquires this week on the Capital City Soccer Show on Thursday.

• Hook 'Em 1

Full list of all players availible in the Expansion Draft.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/12/14/2020-mls-expansion-draft-official-list-players-eligible-selection

You get to select 5 players with a max of 1 from each team. With doing 0 research here are the names that jumped out to me.

CJ Sapong (Chicago)  - Old

Steven Beitashour (Colorado) -Old

Mauro Manotas (Houston) -What, I thought he went to Xolos

Perry Kitchen (LA Galaxy) -Has had MLS success

Juan Agudelo (Inter Miami)- Meh

Brek Shea (Inter Miami)- Good God

Wil Trapp (Inter Miami)- Maybe?

Clement Diop (Montreal) - MLS Experience, but meh

Maximiliano Urruti (Montreal)- Washed up? 

David Accam (Nashville)- I like Ghanaians, but old

Dom Dwyer (Orlando City)- Old, but storied MLS career

Giuseppe Rossi (RSL)- Fucking traitor, but you know

Fredy Montero (Vancouver)- Old maybe

Joe Corona (LA Galaxy) -Old, but yes pelase.

It'll be interesting to see if they go with any of these or stick with young players. Maybe a mix of the two.

Edited by SimonBolivar

On 12/13/2020 at 12:11 PM, SimonBolivar said:

Seems like they're MLS journeymen back-ups. I don't think any of them will be all stars, but they know MLS and all of them were pretty cheap. 

Edit: That's unfair to Nick Lima. He's been a staple of SJ's squad and has made few MLS squad USMNT appearances. 

And judging by the reactions on twitter, Lima was easily the most well-liked by his old fan base. Plenty of great comments about him and his leadership, along with farewells. A couple others got laughed at on the way out in their comments. 

8 hours ago, skittlebrau said:

Free agents are eligible for the expansion draft. From the rules:

• Option Decline Free Agents and Out of Contract Free Agents not automatically protected and are eligible for selection.

FAs are eligible for selection but Austin would have to negotiate a new deal with them just like any other team.  He's out of contract.  Austin would be permitted to offer him more money than Minnesota.  That is the only advantage which is why no one uses expansion picks on free agents.    

15 minutes ago, alincoln said:

FAs are eligible for selection but Austin would have to negotiate a new deal with them just like any other team.  He's out of contract.  Austin would be permitted to offer him more money than Minnesota.  That is the only advantage which is why no one uses expansion picks on free agents.    

Right.

On 12/13/2020 at 2:36 PM, Somnio said:

Now we have an Irishman.

Jon Gallagher from Atlanta United.

https://www.austinfc.com/rostertracker

Was bummed Atlanta traded him. I thought he was a solid depth piece. It's hard to parse anything from Atlanta's season because it was off the charts bad, but he was always a bright spot when he played and led the team in goals with a whopping four. He'll be a good addition for Austin. I'm not sure if he's an every match starting kind of player, but he definitely developed into a good player in Atlanta so it's a nice pick up for Austin.

• Hook 'Em 1