Austin FC

Bottlecap

Picked up our 3rd GK today, Stuver from NYCFC and previously Columbus. So he should be very familiar with Claudio & Josh. Assume all these familiar names are intentional to jump start chemistry among an expansion team being built during a pandemic. 

His wife also asks the important questions on Twitter.

On 12/28/2020 at 2:04 PM, skittlebrau said:

Picked up our 3rd GK today, Stuver from NYCFC and previously Columbus... His wife also asks the important questions on Twitter.

Someone point her in the direction of the sun. 

She is Vitamin D deficient in a medically concerning kind of way. Especially in this time of “COVID in the Time of Insurrection”.

Hopefully she’ll find her way to Barton Springs soon for mid-winter day sun sessions. 👍

That tire joint has been there for as long as I've been in Austin, gotta give 'em credit.  

Two-part question---when does the MLS schedule come out in a non-Covid year?  And when do y'all think this delayed season schedule will come out?  

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

That tire joint has been there for as long as I've been in Austin, gotta give 'em credit.  

Two-part question---when does the MLS schedule come out in a non-Covid year?  And when do y'all think this delayed season schedule will come out?  

December. And, who knows with the CBA also in the balance.

We interviewed a college soccer expert for the podcast that came out today. Mayaka is very likely as the pick.

Matt Doyle saying that Mayaka was the surest thing as a #1 overall in years and him not being the pick was the best part of the draft.

Expect a domestic signing tomorrow. Wolff talked about it on the post draft press conference and Precourt tweeted green smoke. Wolff also talked about a couple more international signings, including one on the back line.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Pasken said:

1 hour ago, skittlebrau said:

Matt Doyle saying that Mayaka was the surest thing as a #1 overall in years and him not being the pick was the best part of the draft.

Expect a domestic signing tomorrow. Wolff talked about it on the post draft press conference and Precourt tweeted green smoke. Wolff also talked about a couple more international signings, including one on the back line.

One video said that he was considered one of the Top 3 players in the draft.

But on the MLS page...

The move came as a big surprise. The expectation was for Syracuse midfielder Philip Mayaka to be the top pick, as the overwhelming majority of mock drafts pegged Mayaka for the top slot. He eventually went No. 3 to the Colorado Rapids. 

MLSsoccer.com draft expert Travis Clark projected Pereira to end up in Austin in his mock draft... but with the 11th overall pick, not the top slot.

“I wasn't really expecting to be No. 1 because of all the mock drafts, it’s an honor," Pereira said. "I’m really happy. My family is crying, it’s a moment I’ll never forget.”

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2021/01/21/daniel-pereira-admits-he-was-surprised-be-no-1-superdraft-pick-austin-fc

Ummm... that's pretty weird to think that some projected him to go #11 and he went #1. That sounds kind of like a Jerry Jones move. But looking at Travis Clark's mock draft, Pereira was projected to be the 2nd "pure midfielder" to go in the draft, it's just that picks 2-10 were supposed to be defenders with one hybrid midfielder/defender. I'm sure that he will be able to give many more bilingual interviews than Mayaka could... at least ones that would connect with Austin's Latino community.

I'm sure that Alejandro Moreno is a proud man this evening.

MLS Super Draft Grades

ATX

Austin FC: B

Both Daniel Pereira and Philip Mayaka are talented. That’s obvious. But from a fit perspective, the latter seemed a slightly safer bet to compete for minutes right away with the first overall pick. He’s physical, tough and can cover ground in ways that Pereira didn’t show in the ACC. There’s a lot to like about the other picks, however, especially Aedan Stanley and Daniel Steedman, who were quality ACC players in 2019 before signing with MLS-run USL teams in 2020. Keep an eye on goalkeeper Noah Lawrence, who played at Cincinnati before transferring to Ohio State in 2020 but didn’t have a chance to play there in the fall due to the pandemic.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2021/01/21/mls-superdraft-2021-grades-rating-every-teams-picks

...Other Texas Teams...

DAL

FC Dallas: B-

Hard to argue with FCD’s approach here — protect academy assets that may end up with North Texas SC. Nicky Hernandez joined the USL League One team in 2020, already getting his pro career started. FCD now own his rights, as well as a pair of other grads from North Carolina in Mark Salas and Giovanni Montesdeoca.

HOU

Houston Dynamo: A

It was a good day for the Dynamo. After trading for Derrick Jones, and reuniting him with Tab Ramos, Houston made smart picks. Trading down and reinforcing the backline with a Generation adidas player like Ethan Bartlow was a good start; Kris Strickler is the kind of player to roll the dice on in the second round, as he’s a proven ACC goal-scorer. SMU defender Brandon Terwege is expected to play college in the spring, so the Dynamo can monitor the center back and see if he’s ready to join the team at some point in the next year.