Austin FC

Bottlecap

They should have Omar and the F.C.'s play a set on opening day. Just for the F.C. of it!

I still wish I had bought some seat options, but I just didn't have anyone that would have regularly gone with me.  Sucks as I live out NW, and could totally see either before or after partying at the Domain as a part of the routine.  I'm sure I will end up finding some tickets now and again.  HOPEFULLY the product on the field will be put on a good show and some W's to keep things interesting.  Something new and cool for Austin that's for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, MidTexHorn said:

Ya know, I could actually see a group sing along at the end of games with "True Love Will Find You in the End" being pretty damn cool.

There's a woman I know whose health isn't the greatest, but she loves backdoor play.

Whenever I see the title of that song, I think of her. 

(I can't help turning into a 12 year-old when I see that song title. #honest)

• Haha 1

Designated player #2 on the books. Claudio also said on the press conference this morning that they are going to wait to see where the on field gaps are and signed the third DP this summer.

https://www.austinfc.com/post/2021/02/11/tom-s-pochettino-signs-austin-fc-designated-player-contract

Also, shameless plug for the podcast. Interviewed Jordan Enke this week about the stadium and learned some new things about the plans for ride share dropoff, bike parking and confirmation that the stadium is going to have 100% cashless payment.

https://podfollow.com/moontowersoccer/view

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Training camp and preseason friendly schedule out. St. Edward's closed to fans, but I don't think they can stop people from watching on the hill overlooking the field.

https://www.austinfc.com/post/2021/03/01/austin-fc-announces-preseason-training-camp-presented-st-davids-healthcare-ahead

Pulisic's brother also training with the club.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, skittlebrau said:

Training camp and preseason friendly schedule out. St. Edward's closed to fans, but I don't think they can stop people from watching on the hill overlooking the field.

https://www.austinfc.com/post/2021/03/01/austin-fc-announces-preseason-training-camp-presented-st-davids-healthcare-ahead

Pulisic's cousin also training with the club.

https://goduke.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster/will-pulisic/1316

5’11” goalie

Austin FC could do a better job proactively reaching out to people that bought season tickets with some updates on what the fuck we are gonna be looking at. I realize that there is some uncertainty still with the schedule but checking my email, they seem to have plenty of time to send out merch emails but nothing related to tickets. 

12 hours ago, Blotto said:

Austin FC could do a better job proactively reaching out to people that bought season tickets with some updates on what the fuck we are gonna be looking at. I realize that there is some uncertainty still with the schedule but checking my email, they seem to have plenty of time to send out merch emails but nothing related to tickets. 

They don’t know what’s going to happen. What should they tell you? Seems like the Gov may have cleared things up this afternoon.

1 hour ago, skittlebrau said:

They don’t know what’s going to happen. What should they tell you? Seems like the Gov may have cleared things up this afternoon.

I don't know, it sounds like the earliest there can be games at Q2 will be June. But I'm only guessing thats the case because l haven't heard it from Austin FC. MLS has announced a season start date of April 17th. They must have some idea or plan for when paying customers will get to access the stadium they purchased tickets for. Are they just gonna text me the morning of the season opener. We're a couple months away from the season start and I haven't heard shit. Just seems strange.

What is exactly is a "Canadian 'Home' Match"?  You play an away game at a neutral site, eat at Tim Horton's afterwards, get slugged in the nuts, but everybody apologizes?  

Edited by Lobo

Earlier this afternoon I was leaving the South Congress HEB, and while driving down Congress Ave. near Fulmore Middle School the team was out for a run.  It was pretty cool seeing the squad decked out in their practice kits out for a jog.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, skittlebrau said:

First match should be announced any moment now.

Have to admit, I'm getting anxious.  I assume since we're an expansion franchise, maybe they'll be courteous to us and give us a home match to open on 4/17.  Then again, the punch list on the stadium is long

Edited by Lobo

8 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Could be wrong, but believe it's to get infrastructure/permits/etc finalized to get the Stadium fully operational

I also thnk I'm an idiot.  I think this is only a partial schedule.  Didn't think through that.  Just saw a few away games and then the gap.

4 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

fully operational

Dude, it's a big pitch of grass with some cheap plastic seats.  Not a weaponized space station  ;) 

Serious question---since we'll have the first 9 weeks of exclusively road matches (totaling probably 10-12).  Doesn't that mean the back-end of the schedule will be packed with home matches and just a handful of roadies?  To the tune of 17 home, maybe 5-7 away with a handful of friendlies mixed in?  I know it's a dumb question, but is there some way they usually handle expansion teams with new stadiums in the first few months of their inaugural season so they can finish up on anything on the punch list?  

On 3/6/2021 at 9:44 AM, skittlebrau said:

Houston opening with 30% capacity. Should be pretty close to their normal attendance. Starting to think Austin will be at 75-100% come June.

Dallas can only dream of 30% capacity.

Actually, I think that 30% capacity is deemed "a SELL OUT" in Dallas Frisco.

Dallas makes their money selling players, not tickets.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Dallas can only dream of 30% capacity.

Actually, I think that 30% capacity is deemed "a SELL OUT" in Dallas Frisco.

Dallas makes their money selling players, not tickets.

What are the chances of another team finding a home in central Dallas one day?

LA and NY have two teams each.  Aren't there about 8 million people living in DFW these days?

1 hour ago, Somnio said:

What are the chances of another team finding a home in central Dallas one day?

LA and NY have two teams each.  Aren't there about 8 million people living in DFW these days?

If the USA were a “Promotion/Relegation” country?

100% CHANCE

But this is a “Purchase a Franchise” league and the Hunts are the #1 Family in the History of Professional Soccer in the USA, so the chance of another franchise in Central Dallas happening is...

0%... ZERO... NIL, NEIN, NADA!

FCD and original Dallas Burn season ticket holder here.  Have been following the Austin FC development from a far.  I'll be honest, if it were in a different state, I'd probably just switch but that seems wrong.  Soon we'll be rivals but I'll have soft spot for some time I think.

It's weird how many soccer fans there are in DFW, but FCD sees to have ignored so many of us.  Packed bars for Liverpool/manu/Spurs/etc. games and especially for the USMNT, but they haven't been able to use that to generate/hold the interest from that community. 

Some is likely the stadium location, but there are bigger issues imo.  Hope Austin avoids those.  

1 hour ago, pied said:

FCD and original Dallas Burn season ticket holder here.  Have been following the Austin FC development from a far.  I'll be honest, if it were in a different state, I'd probably just switch but that seems wrong.  Soon we'll be rivals but I'll have soft spot for some time I think.

It's weird how many soccer fans there are in DFW, but FCD sees to have ignored so many of us.  Packed bars for Liverpool/manu/Spurs/etc. games and especially for the USMNT, but they haven't been able to use that to generate/hold the interest from that community. 

Some is likely the stadium location, but there are bigger issues imo.  Hope Austin avoids those.  

I imagine the stadium in Frisco is a major obstacle. 

I live in South Austin, but going to Q2 Stadium isn't a deal breaker.  It's really not that far, and there are a lot of different options to get up that way.

If Q2 was in Round Rock or Cedar Park attending a match would rarely even be a consideration.

Edited by Somnio
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pied said:

We interviewed Jon Arnold a couple weeks ago and he talked about how FCD doesn't really know what they want to be and that their marketing game is pretty weak. You can't sell out stadiums just appealing to soccer moms in Frisco.

• Hook 'Em 1

I live in the burbs(Flower Mound) but drive in a decent amount to catch Liverpool games in Addison.  My kid plays soccer (in town) all over the place and don't mind driving that far. I was at the opening game in '96 and when they opened up Toyota Stadium, which I LOVE.  We get out to a game or two a season, but my issue is that I kinda just don't know or care about the team.  I try every once in awhile, but there's only so many %&$+s to give and FCD/the Burn haven't given me any through the years.  

Regarding the stadium location I'd say it doesn't help, but not a deal breaker for a lot of us.  

Hard to get excited about the club and that speaks to the marketing game you refer to.  Who is FCD?  A club that develop a ton of home growns and where McKennie played his youth soccer.  yea....

Any reason the Austin Front office is shitting on the supporter groups having a hand in the new name for the Texas rivalry and trophy? Had our meeting with our front office and basically Houston and Dallas are on board but Austin wants a corporate sponsor lol 

30 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Any reason the Austin Front office is shitting on the supporter groups having a hand in the new name for the Texas rivalry and trophy? Had our meeting with our front office and basically Houston and Dallas are on board but Austin wants a corporate sponsor lol 

I’ve heard conflicting stories on this. Pretty sure that’s not the case. Saying this as a very early participant in the conversation.

Edited by skittlebrau

No clue, but if I were to speculate I'd say they've seen what kind of stupid names people come up with in naming contests.  I read something a couple of days ago where someone was proposing Austin FC should have an Ice Bat be their mascot.Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Also, why not get paid?  There are corporate sponsors for virtually everything in MLS.  Q2, Yeti, St. David's, Netspend... I'm not sure why anyone would expect differently.

Yea that is the way for new MLS I get that. Houston and Dallas seem to be onboard from what we had in our meeting but Austin was a hard no. Yeti Texas Cup brought to you by TABC coming up!!! Dallas vs Chicago with Brimstone is solid as is Dallas vs Houston with El Capitan

Edited by Zepol87