Austin FC

Bottlecap

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Electric Jellyfish is $5 a tallboy at the liquor store. 3.5x markup

Dos Equis is $2 for a tallboy at 7-11 and was selling for $11. 5.5x markup.

So it's not that big of a deal.

I was going to Dallas Cowboys games before Jerry Jones bought the team, back when Irving (or at least Texas Stadium) was dry.

Fans we’re allowed to bring in whatever booze they wanted. (I was way underage, so I didn’t care.)

Then Jerry bought the team and bribed Irving to change the liquor/alcohol zoning for Texas Stadium. I remember the general reaction was “Yee-haw! We can now buy booze at the stadium!!”

I was an early college student on a budget by the time booze was now available and thought “Why the fuck is paying $7 for a cup of beer better than paying $4-$5 for a 6-pack of beer? Especially when you used to be able to bring in your preferred brand?” 🥸

I don’t tend to buy booze at events, because I can’t get past the ridiculous markup and I’m not looking to get drunk either, so why not just go with one soda or a water?

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Fans we’re allowed to bring in whatever booze they wanted.

Yes and no. Texas Stadium was dry but a pump thermos became the popular item to transport your booze. I don't remember anyone allowed to bring in a cooler.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m not much of a soccer fan and barely learned that Austin has an MLS franchise on Saturday. But seeing the highlights of the crowd/stadium makes me want to go to a game in person. Looked electric. 

And yeah, the Latin influenced chants & themes probably does play a small part in that. I hate when marketing/pandering works on me. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Stringer said:

Went last night and had a great time.  So many chances went begging, which was frustrating, but an entertaining game for a 0-0 draw.

The stadium is beautiful and is really intimate.  I also liked all of the local brands all over the place.  Really adds to a sense of community.  Definitely some crowd control kinks to work out, but it's the first home game for the team, so that's going to happen. I know there was the USWNT game, but a mid week game is a different animal than a Saturday night franchise opener.  

We were in the Lexus Lounge area on the west side and agree on the earlier comments about the west side being like the UT games.  Not the most into it crowd and definitely want to spend some time in the Supporter's Section in the future.  The Lexus Lounge has a pretty average group of "free" beer options and the good stuff was extra.  The Electric Jellyfish was $17, which is just fucking wild.  More than $1 an ounce.  LOL.  I'll stick with the free shit. 

After the game, we met some friends in the beer hall for a post game drink, which is a cool place.  By the time we got to the car, there was no traffic, so I think that's the play at future games.  

Would you mind posting some more info and thoughts on the food/bev situation in the Lexus Lounge? I was already in there for the USWNT game last week, but that was pay as you go. I understand that food, beer and wine is included in your ticket with your AustinFC season tickets. Is that correct? What kind of food was included and any info on the included beer and wine would be appreciated. Thinking of taking my wife to a few games down there during the season (we have season tickets in the Premium Terrace but she has zero tolerance for heat so the availability of A/C is very tempting for her).

11 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

Would you mind posting some more info and thoughts on the food/bev situation in the Lexus Lounge? I was already in there for the USWNT game last week, but that was pay as you go. I understand that food, beer and wine is included in your ticket with your AustinFC season tickets. Is that correct? What kind of food was included and any info on the included beer and wine would be appreciated. Thinking of taking my wife to a few games down there during the season (we have season tickets in the Premium Terrace but she has zero tolerance for heat so the availability of A/C is very tempting for her).

It wasn’t hot in the stadium. By 8:00 almost everyone is in the shade due to the partial roof cover and positioning of the stadium and they designed it to allow breeze to come in and it worked. The designers did a fantastic job. Maybe it’s different in August but I doubt it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, RPM said:

. I don't remember anyone allowed to bring in a cooler.

My memory of beer in decent seats (my friend’s family’s tickets around the 35 yard-line, ~20 rows up) were of beers brought in a cardboard box / cardboard tray under a case. It was not a cooler. (Didn’t know if there was a cooler rule.)

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

My memory of beer in decent seats (my friend’s family’s tickets around the 35 yard-line, ~20 rows up) were of beers brought in a cardboard box / cardboard tray under a case. It was not a cooler. (Didn’t know if there was a cooler rule.)

Yeah, you had to smuggle it in back in those days. Texas Motor Speedway is the first major arena locally that I remember allowing coolers w/alcohol.

Can't piss off the bible thumpers.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

It wasn’t hot in the stadium. By 8:00 almost everyone is in the shade due to the partial roof cover and positioning of the stadium and they designed it to allow breeze to come in and it worked. The designers did a fantastic job. Maybe it’s different in August but I doubt it. 

I agree. I didn't think it was bad at all. I'm just saying, for my wife, access to a/c is a key driver for attendance if the temp is above 85 degrees. She really shouldn't live in Texas but this is where all of our family is. I didn't want to spend the coin on club seats this year, but may in future years and may for some select games this year, which is why I was curious about the food and beverage situation in the Lexus Club.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/19/2021 at 10:08 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I'll take your word for it.  It's hard to see what he's bringing to the table compared to Stuver, Dominguez, Gallagher, Fagundez.

He is one of the top 3 defensive midfielders, number 6 positionally if you will, in the league

On 6/19/2021 at 10:23 PM, jimmyjazz said:

OK, I'll try to watch for that more.  Like I said, just a soccer dad, although my kid plays at a pretty high level, but I have to admit I view soccer through a lens that is hyper focused on his position.

He is like top 5 in tackles won (1 fewer game than the league leader) and top 5 in passing percentage as well I believe.

On 6/19/2021 at 11:12 PM, Brisketexan said:

Highlights: Stuver (although I don’t like him having to make those plays) and Fagundez (dude has incredible hustle and never quits on a play).

Disappointments: Ring (not the galvanizing presence I’d hoped to see) and Pochettino (he can’t finish, seems to get jittery when he gets close to the goal).

Loved the atmosphere and crowd. And we sit right behind Fagundez’s family, hope we’ll get to see them often.

I think you are thinking of Gallagher rather than Pochettino; the latter doesn't get near goal much and tends to shoot from distance

On 6/20/2021 at 8:45 AM, Napoleon said:

Because Latinos go to games all season long. White fans are traditionally not as dependable for MLS teams. So, apparently teams are willing to cater to the Latino demographic to make more money.

😳🤷‍♂️

Uh, it's the fans (supporters groups) that picked those names for themselves.  What does the team have to do with the supporters groups naming themselves in Spanish?

4 minutes ago, NoctambulantBrobdingnagian said:

I think you are thinking of Gallagher rather than Pochettino; the latter doesn't get near goal much and tends to shoot from distance

Oh, Gallagher was the master of 4 touches inside the box when 1 (a snap shot) would do.  But Pochettino actually had plenty of chances right outside the box, and did the same thing.

It was maddening to watch multiple players futz around with the ball for multiple touches, giving the defense and the keeper time to position themselves, as opposed to taking an imperfect snap shot before the defense was ready for it.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, Gallagher was the master of 4 touches inside the box when 1 (a snap shot) would do.  But Pochettino actually had plenty of chances right outside the box, and did the same thing.

It was maddening to watch multiple players futz around with the ball for multiple touches, giving the defense and the keeper time to position themselves, as opposed to taking an imperfect snap shot before the defense was ready for it.

yea, they have either too slow in build up (early season) and now have no patience.  The real issue is that chances are there and there isn't anyone there to finish.  Even a Zardes level finisher would have us with 3 more wins I think.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

"futz around with the ball" seemed to be our primary offensive plan inside the box and it was indeed maddening. These guys are really indecisive, maybe due to a lack of skill, I'm not smart enough to know why but it sure does drive me crazy. They seemed plenty good enough to get themselves into good positions, but couldn't pull the damn trigger at the right time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

"futz around with the ball" seemed to be our primary offensive plan inside the box and it was indeed maddening. These guys are really indecisive, maybe due to a lack of skill, I'm not smart enough to know why but it sure does drive me crazy. They seemed plenty good enough to get themselves into good positions, but couldn't pull the damn trigger at the right time.

So much this.

Lots of "getting into position."

Zero "pulling the goddamned trigger."

99% of shots are taken from a less-than-ideal position.  So.....TAKE THE SHOT.

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So much this.

Seriously. Just press fucking circle already. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, NoctambulantBrobdingnagian said:

This is false from what I understand.

We paid for the tifo. I have the literal receipts. Which makes it a good time to put in a plug for joining a supporters group if you dig the atmosphere, even if you never plan to sit in the section.

https://www.losverdesatx.org/blog/why-should-i-join-a-supporters-group-if-im-not-sitting-in-the-supporters-section

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/20/2021 at 8:52 AM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Man shit was fun. I’m so glad I’m in the supporter section with Los Verdes. 
West side of the stadium has very west side memorial stadium type energy.

Thanks for joining in! That was fun but I was sore as shit the next day. Look forward to doing at again on Sunday.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So much this.

i like how stroud started hunting his shot more this game.  first part of the season he'd race wide to the end line and send in a cross, but he's seen how there's no one getting on the end of his great crosses and he's made the adjustment to get some hisself.

2 hours ago, skittlebrau said:

We paid for the tifo. I have the literal receipts. Which makes it a good time to put in a plug for joining a supporters group if you dig the atmosphere, even if you never plan to sit in the section.

https://www.losverdesatx.org/blog/why-should-i-join-a-supporters-group-if-im-not-sitting-in-the-supporters-section

That tifo was amazing, great job.  Curious how long did it take to do that, like a month?

4 hours ago, skittlebrau said:

I joined Los Verdes because I read that post, but I do sit in the supporters section, marched from Hopsquad with LV, learned/sang the songs, wore my scarf, etc. I'm too time constrained to be active outside of gamedays or participate much in the Slack, but everybody was really nice and it's super fun to roll with y'all. Glad I joined!

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2

I don't intend to ever sit/stand in the supporters section, but I support everything they do and hope they keep doing it. Definitely intend to join Los Verdes and throw some money their way. Would also love to join the Fighting Leslies if anyone knows how to do that - I like the cut of their jib. A drinking club named after a belligerent transvestite seems exactly like the sort of thing an Austin soccer club should have.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

How was it? It was intense, fun, wild and loud. 

Thought UT should put in a standing section in the SEZ for students.  They would be ahead of the curve and you could create a great atmosphere.

I'm in DFW, are those tickets available for the public or only through the supporters' groups?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, pied said:

Thought UT should put in a standing section in the SEZ for students.  They would be ahead of the curve and you could create a great atmosphere.

I'm in DFW, are those tickets available for the public or only through the supporters' groups?

You can find them on SeatGeek's app. But if you join the group, you can get them for face value if anybody is selling through their Slack, so I've heard. The cheapest ticket for Sunday is $115 on SeatGeek, in the supporter's section.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, MidTexHorn said:

I don't intend to ever sit/stand in the supporters section, but I support everything they do and hope they keep doing it. Definitely intend to join Los Verdes and throw some money their way. Would also love to join the Fighting Leslies if anyone knows how to do that - I like the cut of their jib. A drinking club named after a belligerent transvestite seems exactly like the sort of thing an Austin soccer club should have.

The Fighting Leslies gang is great. They're a drinking club and don't have memberships but I believe they're going to start selling shirts and other merch fairly soon.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, skittlebrau said:

The Fighting Leslies gang is great. They're a drinking club and don't have memberships but I believe they're going to start selling shirts and other merch fairly soon.

“The Fighting Leslies” 🤣

What is the dress code?

Austin hasn’t completely lost its soul. 👍

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1