Austin FC

Bottlecap

On 7/30/2018 at 3:30 PM, gsoda3 said:

so the current term sheet is...

-  city of austin pays $0 to build the stadium

- psv will foot the entire bill to build the stadium

-  city of austin retains not only the ownership of the land, but also the entire stadium 

-  psv will pay rent to the city of austin for use of both the stadium and the land

-  psv agrees to pay for future infrastructure improvement in the area and will pre-pay a portion of that cost 

-  psv will pay all maintenance and operating costs of the stadium

-  psv will sign a non-relocation agreement with the city

-  city of austin will have input on the design of the stadium

-  the city of austin will have rent-free use of the stadium, which will be shared with local school districts, ACC, and travis county

psv is willing to agree to this and there are still people who don't want it to happen.  doesn't get much more obvious than this folks.

I've been against this from the get go (i don't care for sports team relocation, especially in soccer where it SHOULD be more about the community) but this is now an absolute must for the area.

• Like 1

I guess hell froze over. Kurt Bowels making sense & shit...

Bohls: Austin gets closer to becoming an MLS city; only details remain https://www.mystatesman.com/sports/bohls-austin-gets-closer-becoming-mls-city-only-details-remain/5Qebh9h0bKzkcoH766sNJK/

"1. It appears Austin is getting closer and closer to having a professional sports franchise it can call its own. I have endorsed the embrace of relocation of the Columbus Crew to Austin. But the City Council must make certain it is maximizing the benefits for the City Formerly Known as Austin before it signs off with the obligatory six positive votes. (I personally am livid about brain-dead suggestions we consider changing the name of our city, even if it’s to something flashy like Kooksville or Weirdsville or Protest-town USA. Why don’t we just change every name of every city, school, highway and street. Just go generic and use numbers. Call New York No. 1. LA 2. Chicago 3. That way we don’t offend anyone. Can we stop this absurdness?) As for soccer, I consider the possibility of an MLS team an added amenity to our city, not unlike parks and libraries and playgrounds. As Mayor Steve Adler told our Kevin Lyttle, It speaks to quality of life and entertainment choices. Didn’t COTA benefit from the state’s special events fund? But, make sure, Austin, you nail down items like who’s paying what for a metro rail station near McKalla Place and road improvements, specifics on affordable housing on the site, like is $3 million the exact price tag on infrastructure Precourt Sports Ventures will pay so it can delay paying rent until Year 6 and parking for more than 1,000 spaces, which seems way too few. Omit all the ambiguity. Put it all in writing, Austin, but make up your mind Aug. 9, not Oct. 9."

I'd only change that to say "Doesn't COTA benefit from the state's special events fund?"

Edited by wood

Council is going to REALLY test MLS patience if they reject this deal. Sounded like from this morning that PSV paying for the new Red Line station would firm up the remaining votes but  I don't know if they would want some of the other conditions adjusted if they do that.

36 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Council is going to REALLY test MLS patience if they reject this deal. Sounded like from this morning that PSV paying for the new Red Line station would firm up the remaining votes but  I don't know if they would want some of the other conditions adjusted if they do that.

is there any chance the council has been doing a really good job of negotiating and wanted this all along?  i mean from their track record i'm going with "no chance", but i thought i'd pose the question anyway.

4 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

is there any chance the council has been doing a really good job of negotiating and wanted this all along?  i mean from their track record i'm going with "no chance", but i thought i'd pose the question anyway.

No Chance.

However it's entirely possible that Precourt already knew what a ridiculous bunch of dumbfuckery the council was capable of, and knew what it would ultimately take, and has just been maneuvering so that it looks like these are concessions from his side, when it was his plan all along.

Edited by utee94

Shouldn't we have a modicum of skepticism as to why he went from a sweetheart deal to paying for the stadium himself and doing an almost immediate leaseback (in year 5 anyway) for substantial cash?  Nevermind the real estate concessions.  Be weary of anyone who wants something this badly.  

54 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Shouldn't we have a modicum of skepticism as to why he went from a sweetheart deal to paying for the stadium himself and doing an almost immediate leaseback (in year 5 anyway) for substantial cash?  Nevermind the real estate concessions.  Be weary of anyone who wants something this badly.  

I am indeed weary of such things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bottlecap said:

Wasnt the stadium itself always going to be privately funded?

Yes.  And given he was always in for such a CapEx...why the dramatic concessions on the other side of the ledger?  Just curious, many on here have been following it much more in depth than I.  But no good question goes unpunished.  

Epstein, developer push MLS stadium idea at COTA https://www.statesman.com/sports/soccer/epstein-developer-push-mls-stadium-idea-cota/4R7RusDZnHjiBeEOTuiZpK/

While Bobby Epstein said he is excited to reveal details this week about the pro soccer team he is starting in Austin, he made a case Wednesday for why Circuit of the Americas would be a good site for a Major League Soccer team.

Epstein, chairman of the Southeast Austin motorsports and entertainment complex, was approached by Capella Capital Partners about a joint effort with Precourt Sports Ventures to build a stadium at COTA that could house Columbus Crew SC.

“I made Capella the same offer I made (Anthony) Precourt,” Epstein told the American-Statesman. “COTA is willing to give the land free of charge. MLS would have an easily accessible stadium that could make use of already existing parking and road infrastructure, benefit from an experienced event workforce and be close to a strong soccer community.”

Capella Capital, however, hasn’t told Precourt of its proposal that the Austin developers revealed Tuesday in the Austin Business Journal, and PSV doesn’t seem interested in a partnership. The Austin City Council debated Wednesday a term sheet between Precourt and the city for PSV to privately finance a stadium at city-owned McKalla Place in North Austin.

“They (Capella) don’t have a team, and one of their proposals shows they have no understanding of MLS or PSV,” said Austin MLS lobbyist Richard Suttle, who works for PSV. “I can’t comment further on their proposals or abilities because I’m unaware of anything they have built or developed to this scale.”

Neil Francois, Capella Capital’s managing partner, told the Statesman his group will submit two mixed-use proposals to the city Thursday for development of McKalla Place. Capella owns adjacent property to the site. Both plans include an MLS stadium, but the Capella reps’ favorite involves the stadium at COTA.
“Wakefield Beasley did our design, and that group did The Battery in Atlanta with the Braves stadium,” Francois said. “This is not their first rodeo.

“We think COTA is a win-win. The city wins because it gets tax revenues from our development at McKalla. MLS and Precourt win because they get free property that already has infrastructure. COTA has 20,000 adjacent parking spaces. Some people bring up COTA’s location, but the race track is just a half-mile further from downtown than McKalla Place.”

Epstein said he knows MLS wants urban core stadiums — COTA still has a rural feel to it — but he doesn’t see it as a deal-breaker.

“We spoke with MLS several times about stadium location and they expressed their preference for a downtown site, but they certainly didn’t rule out COTA or other sites we discussed with them,” he said.

In January, PSV ruled out the Travis County Expo Center, one of five sites originally identified by the city, because of its remote location and lack of urban development and no entertainment options around the site.

When asked why Capella Capital didn’t run its plans past Precourt, its potential partner, Francois said it was most important for his group to let the city know there are alternatives to PSV’s plan.

“This process was set up for Precourt to directly negotiate with the city and the developers are left off to the side,” he said. “We have no control over what Precourt or the city decide, but we want them to make an educated decision involving multiple plans. Then let the chips fall where they may.”

Whitfield & Chen, another developer, said it will submit its mixed-use vision for McKalla Place to the city Friday. It does not include a soccer stadium.

Half mile further than McKalla? :coughbullshit: Besides, McKalla is practically right in the cienter of the Austin Metro population mass. Downtown is south of the center. Epstein's "experienced event workforce" is a skeleton crew of temporary event staffers from an agency, most of who don't have a clue about anything out there. 

1 hour ago, wood said:

Half mile further than McKalla? :coughbullshit: Besides, McKalla is practically right in the cienter of the Austin Metro population mass. Downtown is south of the center. Epstein's "experienced event workforce" is a skeleton crew of temporary event staffers from an agency, most of who don't have a clue about anything out there. 

Yeah, even if it was the same distance from the population center, it's still a fucking wasteland in the middle of nowhere with zero pre/post-game bar & restaurant options for festivities. 

Bobby Epstein, the COTA chairman and Bold majority owner, laid down the first challenge to the MLS owners, who are trying to move Columbus Crew SC into a new North Austin stadium.

“If the Domain Crew get their act together and are actually here next year, we want to play them … and we’ll kick their ass,” Epstein told the American-Statesman.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL....

https://www.mystatesman.com/sports/soccer/austin-bold-comes-out-swinging-cota-launch-party/puGng0UCIh9YsmYUBkxyyH/

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Why would anyone drive out to COTA to watch soccer?

Same reason people drive to the Domain to eat dinner.  People will go 45 minutes to see weird shit.  There's been some great concerts out at COTA that we've passed on because it's just a bitch to get out there on a weeknight, get some dinner, park, get to your seat, and get home afterwards.  And I drove to Hebron, Ohio once in the middle of the night to see the Grateful Dead so I'm willing to travel for my music.   

Unless Led Zeppelin were to play a reunion show out there, I can't conceive of going out to COTA for anything except the U.S. Gran Prix.  After that contract expires, I suspect COTA will become a large Mazda dealership.  

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Same reason people drive to the Domain to eat dinner.  People will go 45 minutes to see weird shit.  There's been some great concerts out at COTA that we've passed on because it's just a bitch to get out there on a weeknight, get some dinner, park, get to your seat, and get home afterwards.  And I drove to Hebron, Ohio once in the middle of the night to see the Grateful Dead so I'm willing to travel for my music.   

Unless Led Zeppelin were to play a reunion show out there, I can't conceive of going out to COTA for anything except the U.S. Gran Prix.  After that contract expires, I suspect COTA will become a large Mazda dealership.  

This was great right up until the first line when you ignored the fact that Domain is in the population center the the MSA and COTA is in the middle of fucking nowehere.

Edited by skittlebrau

You moved to Austin within the past five years didn't you? Between this post and your posts on the thread about restaurants you miss the most, you ooze new Austin arrogance.
  • Like 1

https://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2018/08/reporters-notebook-valuable-lessons/

"Wednesday’s special called City Council meeting on the proposal to use the city’s McKalla Place property for a professional soccer stadium briefly turned into a metaphorical turning out of pockets for a handful of Council members and speakers during public comment time. It began when Mayor Steve Adler spoke up after former Travis County auditor Susan Spataro spoke against several items in the term sheet guiding the city’s negotiations, asking her, “Are you being paid to be here today?” Adler’s question didn’t register as accusatory and rather seemed positioned to give Spataro a chance to deny widespread claims that she and other opponents of the stadium are financially backed by Bobby Epstein, co-owner of the Circuit of the Americas and partner in a United Soccer League franchise that would be in direct financial competition with the Major League Soccer team that is proposed to play at the McKalla stadium. Spataro denied being paid, and soon after, Council members Leslie Pool and Pio Renteria addressed similar accusations against them and Adler offered that he’s been painted as being paid by parties both for and against the stadium."

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

Ok, gang. This is the week. Because it’s Austin, we can fuck up any deal, no matter how good it is.

If you want MLS in Austin to happen, there’s two things you can do.

Email Council with your support. Be sure to list your district, so they know it’s coming from a constituent. Be specific about supporting soccer at McKalla Place. You can email them all here:

http://www.austintexas.gov/email/all-council-members

Show up this Thursday, August 9 at City Hall. Item 19 will probably be in the evening. Folks can stop by anytime during the day to sign up in support/speak in support of Item 19.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, skittlebrau said:

Ok, gang. This is the week. Because it’s Austin, we can fuck up any deal, no matter how good it is.

If you want MLS in Austin to happen, there’s two things you can do.

Email Council with your support. Be sure to list your district, so they know it’s coming from a constituent. Be specific about supporting soccer at McKalla Place. You can email them all here:

http://www.austintexas.gov/email/all-council-members

Show up this Thursday, August 9 at City Hall. Item 19 will probably be in the evening. Folks can stop by anytime during the day to sign up in support/speak in support of Item 19.

Email sent supporting McKalla. If the stadium is at McKalla, I would likely attend multiple games each year. If at COTA, way too far, and I wouldn’t even think of attending. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wood said:

So am I safe in the assumption that these 4 are the only malcontents (or just the 4 who are selling their votes to the opposition), and we have 6-7 votes "For" item 19?

Agreed. These four are out. Garza/Kitchen/Casar are varying levels of “maybe.” Going to be tighter than it should be.

Flannigan spitting fire at Pool/Alter and these other proposals during work session right now.

Wow. The 'opposition' minion is really working overtime on twitter tonight with all the numerous twitter accounts, no doubt run by one guy sitting behind a laptop deep in SE Travis County. The lies are really getting thick. No surprise. It's their M.O.

Edited by wood

22 minutes ago, wood said:

Wow. The 'opposition' minion is really working overtime on twitter tonight with all the numerous twitter accounts, no doubt run by one guy sitting behind a laptop deep in SE Travis County. The lies are really getting thick. No surprise. It's their M.O.

Some of us have gathered enough dirt to both win this thing tomorrow and make things very difficult on other soccer operations outside the city limits through this process. Some groups may have overplayed their hand and alienated the entire soccer community.

9 hours ago, skittlebrau said:

Some of us have gathered enough dirt to both win this thing tomorrow and make things very difficult on other soccer operations outside the city limits through this process. Some groups may have overplayed their hand and alienated the entire soccer community.

Heh, yeah. Esp one in particular.

That is all well and good but I doubt your dirt going influence the votes of The three “maybe” council members.

If 2 out of three even vote to delay this thing is dead.

11 hours ago, skittlebrau said:

awaiting details....

1 hour ago, futureman said:

god willing

No, I don't think so. You know, futureman, one day I believe that you're going to wake up and realize you no longer have a brother. And you no longer have any friends. And on that day I'm gonna be standing front and center just laughing my fucking head off.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

No, I don't think so. You know, futureman, one day I believe that you're going to wake up and realize you no longer have a brother. And you no longer have any friends. And on that day I'm gonna be standing front and center just laughing my fucking head off.

UqaM3U.gif

• Like 3

Another term sheet issued last night.

The city of Austin and Precourt Sports Ventures released a new term sheet Wednesday night for a potential Major League Soccer stadium at McKalla Place that reflects movement between the two sides and includes a stiff nonrelocation penalty.

Austin City Council will debate the revised agreement Thursday night at its meeting and could take an up-or-down vote on the matter, which has stirred emotions on all sides of the fence.

Columbus Crew SC owner Anthony Precourt aims to move his franchise to Austin if he can make a deal with the city to build a stadium at the North Austin site.

The updated term sheet calls for a $1 million per year penalty for the life of the agreement if Precourt leaves Austin early and removes vague language that critics said didn’t hold PSV accountable in other areas.

https://www.mystatesman.com/sports/soccer/mls-austin-mckalla-stadium-deal-beefed-but-enough/lixOlNGnYmxxmFl2b3DA4L/

41 minutes ago, drt said:

Some fuckstick put a poll on Nextdoor to see who supported a soccer stadium at McKalla PL.  60% of the respondents said no, or not in the deal's current form.  Austin gonna Austin.

Very scientific.