Movie pass

FartingMonk

Searched for a thread but couldn't find it.  Does anyone else have this thing?  I just got it and liking it so far.  You download the app they send you a credit card.  You check into whatever movie you want to and then it activates the card for you to buy that movie.  You get to see 1 movie a day.  You can't see the movie twice and it's 9.99 a month.  I've been pretty happy with it so far.

Did you mean to post this in the football board..? Although the idea comes to mind, why has a movie theater never looked to have fans watch games of say UT-OU in either of the locations Austin or Norman (Tulsa/ Oklahoma City/ Dallas/ Houston), in Imax theaters..? It's now possible to rent a theater room to play video games, why not allow fans to see rivalry or CFP games in full fledged theater sound & picture quality..? Just a thought since you stuck this here...

23 minutes ago, GottaB said:

I have it. Use it regularly. I haven’t had an issue yet. It does not seem sustainable.

i did some research on it and the dude is losing money hand over fist.  Apparently he is trying to make money off of it by selling the customer data to track trends and stuff for movies.  Where you eat what time you watch the movies and all that stuff.  

we have it.  better use it as much as you can.  they don't have enough cash to last more than another month.  they've been trying to find funding but other than selling more moviepass subscriptions have been coming up empty.

i did some research on it and the dude is losing money hand over fist.  Apparently he is trying to make money off of it by selling the customer data to track trends and stuff for movies.  Where you eat what time you watch the movies and all that stuff.  

Yeah. I read that. They were also trying to black out some films to drive people to other films.

They’ll have to increase the price and expect people to go less often.

I thought the theaters would be all over this to drive concession sales

• 3 years later...

https://thehustle.co/06172021-MoviePass/?utm_campaign=Flying Cars&utm_content=06172021-MoviePass&utm_medium=email&utm_source=daily

Shocker: MoviePass was shady
MoviePass throttled user accounts so they couldn’t take advantage of the all-you-can-watch offering.
By: Kolby Hatch | @hatchkolby
June 17, 2021

Remember MoviePass?

It’s the now-defunct startup that offered unlimited theater movies for a cheap monthly subscription price of $9.95.

Many were skeptical of the business model, which seemed to go against the laws of… math. Well, as The New York Times reports, the startup used shady tactics to survive.

The business math was so bad…
… that MoviePass — which started its wild all-you-can-watch experiment in 2017 — turned into a slow-burning dumpster fire.

Turns out when your costs (full movie ticket price) are significantly higher than your revenue (cheap monthly subscription), business not good.

It culminated in MoviePass’ parent company Helios and Matheson Analytics shutting down the company in 2019 and declaring bankruptcy early last year.

How MoviePass screwed customers
Details of the company’s shady tactics come from a Federal Trade Commission investigation.

To stop people from watching (and slow its cash burn):

Account passwords were falsely invalidated for “suspicious activity or potential fraud”
A bogus ticket verification process was implemented to create friction
As if this wasn’t enough, MoviePass grossly mishandled customer data. An FTC settlement with the company’s execs is meant to prevent any future business tomfoolery.