What’s the color of the boathouse at Hereford?

Buzzrock

Solid movie. Always got stumped on the scene where Deniro is with his Jean at the garage talking to the mechanic looking for information on the Russians. 

The actor playing the liaison between them and the mechanic enters the movie without an intro. And though he favors the same actor (sorry name escapes me) who owned the house where Deniro removes the bullet. It is in fact a different actor. But I cannot find a reference to who the actor in the garage is? There are two possibilities shown in the notes when the credits roll,  but nothing that gives specific credit to who the actor actually is, nor how they how they hooked up. They just open the scene in the garage and Jean simply says that his guy from the house knows everyone in Paris. When the new actor motions to the billboard about where he would look for Russians while pointing to the ice skating billboard.

I always wondered if there was an issue during filming with the actors health and they were forced to go with someone who favored the other actor. And though his beard and facial features are close, his voice is an obviously different. Or they simply added the scene and the other actor was unavailable? Does anyone know?

I did that exact line on the "other" forum a while back. Very solid movie and the director told the stunt driver he did not want to see any brake lights during chase scenes.

You worried about saving your own skin?

Yeah, I am. It covers my body.

9 hours ago, Parliament said:

"I hurt a man's feelings once."

Another movie that grew on me.  It has a very "European feel" (whatever that means) and it took a few viewings to appreciate it.

I’m going out on a limb here, but maybe the fact that the entire movie takes place in europe lends to some of the “european feel” that you’re picking up. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I would agree on Bullitt as well...

What like about these chase scenes is that the action moves slow enough so you can actually see what’s happening, the less CGI the more believable it is.

You don’t need cars defying gravity like those idiotic Fast and Furious movies for it to be entertaining

• Like 1

Ronin is 20 years old now, and sadly the last good (not great, pretty damn good) dramatic film De Niro has had top billing in. Two decades of meh. Ouch. Got a lot riding on The Irishman.

So, how'd you get started in this business?
A wealthy scoundrel seduced & betrayed me.
Same with me. How about that?

24 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Ronin is 20 years old now, and sadly the last good (not great, pretty damn good) dramatic film De Niro has had top billing in. Two decades of meh. Ouch. Got a lot riding on The Irishman.

So, how'd you get started in this business?
A wealthy scoundrel seduced & betrayed me.
Same with me. How about that?

No, it's great. 

5 hours ago, crackamacgowski said:

No, it's great. 

Don't get me wrong. I love it. Hell, I've watched it at least 3 times in the last few months since it's been back in rotation on Showtime & HBO. Frankenheimer had a blast with it, and the chase & interrogation scenes make up for lots of plot holes. If you don't mind, I think I'm just gonna...pass out.

18 hours ago, crackamacgowski said:

It’s Bullitt by a mile and a half but the two chases in Ronin are both really good.

I'l add the original Gone in 60 Seconds because they filmed parts of it without asking for permission. Just went out on early weekend mornings and hit the accelerator.

Everyone’s your brother until the rent comes due!

Loved this movie, you could feel Mamet’s dialogue all over this film.

Top 5 car chase scene easy.
My top 5 are:
Bullitt
French Connection
Ronin
Way of the Gun
Dirty Mary crazy Larry

I normally exclude films that are basically films about a car chase, Driver, Drive, Gone in 60(original), vanishing point, etc. they are some good movies but they kinda exclude themselves in my opinion.

Oh and I still love the Blues Brothers chase.