2018 Ryder Cup: pre-match discussion

Jive Turkey

We're getting closer.  The points race for automatic selection is getting tighter and more interesting.  

If the Ryder Cup team was selected today, the 8 automatic qualifiers for the U.S. would be:

1.  Patrick Reed

2. Justin Thomas

3. DJ

4. Jordan

5.  Koepka

6. Rickie

7.  Bubba

8.  Bryson Dechambeau

Phil is sitting in 9, Webb is 10, and Kooch is 11. Tiger is 34.

On the Euro side, the 8 automatic selections would be:

1.  Francesco Molinari (Euro points)

2. Tyrell Hatton (Euro points)

3. Justin Rose (Euro points)

4.  Rory McIlroy (Euro points)

5.  Jon Rahm (World points)

6.  Tommy Fleetwood (World points)

7.  Alex Noren (World points)

8.  Rafael CabreraI Bello (World points)

Sergio and Poulter are 9 and 10 on the World Points list.  Casey and Stenson are 12 and 13.

I feel good with our top 8 plus Phil.  I think Kooch makes it, especially if Bubba is an automatic qualifier.  Kooch paired with Bubba in New Orleans and they seem to have something.  Bubba has to be a hard guy to pair with, so the fact that Kuchar seems to enjoy it should help his case as a captain's pick.

I've always liked Kisner for this team.  Wish he and Charley Hoffman were both in better form.  They were great together in the President's Cup.

Oh well, the anticipation is starting to build.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Updated projection. I don't think Tiger should be picked. His RC record is horribad.c5d8bdb1ac68e97c2cd896f7cbcf81f7.jpg

I would be tempted to add Phil and Finau. I second the emotion to not add tiger, at the height of his powers he wasn’t good at the RC, don’t see why he would be any better now

11 hours ago, Mileslong said:

I would be tempted to add Phil and Finau. I second the emotion to not add tiger, at the height of his powers he wasn’t good at the RC, don’t see why he would be any better now

Phil and Tiger have pretty shitty records but that’s due to the talent on their squads. Their singles records are solid. 

Here are my guesses, which will change because those automatic bids will change

United States on WhatsApp 2.17 - Xander, Kisner, Phil, Tiger

European Union on WhatsApp 2.17 - IJP, Sergio, Henrik, Fitzpatrick

disclaimer - I'm not advocatingTiger, I just think he will be picked by Furyk.
disclaimer² - if there was a Frog in the top 50 I think he'd be picked for Team Euro, but I think Levy at #69 is the closest. So I don't think so.

Bjørn should pick Eddie Pepperell, who shot the best round on Sunday @ The Open, while he was hung over

Edited by Wally Fairway

From SI-

Locks-

Brooks Koepka 
Dustin Johnson 

Patrick Reed 

Justin Thomas 

Bubba Watson 

Jordan Spieth 

Rickie Fowler

Tiger Woods (if stays healthy)

Phil Mickelson (Lefty would do Furyk a real favor by sneaking into the top 8, because Mickelson's going to be a controversial captain's pick.)

Bubble- 

Webb Simpson 

Bryson DeChambeau 

Matt Kuchar 

Zach Johnson 

Tony Finau 

Xander Schauffele 

https://www.si.com/golf/2018/07/25/ryder-cup-teams-usa-europe-roster-predictions

meh, a team made up of tiger, spieth, j.t., d.j., fowler, bubba, the villainous reed, and koepka is not going to suffer a ratings disaster for lack of a shitty golfer who struggles to make the cut each week.

just because he was popular as the only hope of the traditional, country club challenger to the black dude two decades ago does not make it worth losing those fucking points to the damn, dirty eurotrash.  dude has played 41 ryder cup matches (way more than anyone else) and has all of 19 points won. he has a record 17 losses in ryder cup.  i'll absolutely take webb, finau, virtually anyone (except fuckface zach johnson) over him and his stupid fucking shirts.  imo.

• Like 1

I think Kuchar is a lock.  He's steady Eddie.  Pair him with Bubba or DJ or Koepka.  Let those guys swing for the fences while Kooch puts it right down the middle.

Same with Zach Johnson.

Webb would fold under the pressure.  Not sure about Bryson.  As mentioned above, it would take a special type to pair with him.  Again, Kuchar could do it.

Why are they annoying?

Simpson - hate his swing and anyone who uses long or longish half cheating putters.

Johnson - stupid white sunglasses worn even when dark and terrible shirts. Just annoying in general.

Kuchar - goofball and annoying chants.

Dechambeau - stupid golf bits with his clubs, hats, compasses, putter etc

11 hours ago, SlingeroGuitaro said:

so really you're saying you hate them because they are good at golf

i didn't say i hate them i said i find them annoying.  so if people are good at something you cant find them annoying? being good has nothing to do with it. i love jordan and he is better than all four of them.  i also didn't say they weren't good people i just said they do things that annoy me and to the extent that i don't root for any of them...

23 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Webb Simpson 

Bryson DeChambeau 

Matt Kuchar 

Zach Johnson 

i find all four of these guys incredibly annoying for a variety of reasons, hope none of them make it...

Webb Simpson an Matt Kuchar personify the US teams that were getting their ass kicked.  I'll take a young asshole like Bryson over those guys.

Of the villians, at least Reed can take on the Alpha role.  Bryson doesn't have that.  Everything about his finish this past Sunday told me all I need to know about his mental readiness for being on the RC team.  He's got 100% of Jordan's ability to mentally melt down and 0% of Jordan's ability to rip out someone's throat under pressure.

He seems to thrive when he's disliked, but it will be interesting to watch how Reed handles the crowds and all of their pocket-change-jingling.

24 minutes ago, Horn21 said:

Of the villians, at least Reed can take on the Alpha role.  Bryson doesn't have that.  Everything about his finish this past Sunday told me all I need to know about his mental readiness for being on the RC team.  He's got 100% of Jordan's ability to mentally melt down and 0% of Jordan's ability to rip out someone's throat under pressure.

He seems to thrive when he's disliked, but it will be interesting to watch how Reed handles the crowds and all of their pocket-change-jingling.

This is actually a good point.  Reed's the kind of guy that will bring his own bag of change, hold it high in the air for all to see, and then jingle it in front of a tv camera before he steps up to the shot.  

On 7/31/2018 at 4:42 PM, Mileslong said:

I agree with that. Tired of the Jimmy Walkers coming in and spareing it up when the pressures on...

didn't Walker do okay with Fowler?  I can't recall.  but anyway, I like those young dudes in the match play type formats

For the Ryder Cup we do need some tough guys who won't be intimidated.  I recall in the 00's when Chris Riley said he was too tired to go back out and asked to be benched.  The Golf Channel analysts crucified him.  I don't think he was ever the same after that.

12 hours ago, HouTex said:

For the Ryder Cup we do need some tough guys who won't be intimidated.  I recall in the 00's when Chris Riley said he was too tired to go back out and asked to be benched.  The Golf Channel analysts crucified him.  I don't think he was ever the same after that.

Didn’t Tiger have to play with that guy? 

38 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

It didn’t help that Hal was the worst captain in our history. But when the entire team plays like shit on home soil, there will be a lot of excuses.

Hal sucked, but Lanny Wadkins and Tom Watson may have something to say about being the worst ever.  Point being that we've had some questionable captains who have made questionable decisions that have cost us Ryder Cups.

In 1995, Lanny only played Phil Mickelson in 3 matches.  Mickelson was a rookie, admittedly, but he had the most recent match play experience, having dominated in college and amateur golf.  And he probably had the most stamina.  He could have played 36 holes a day in his sleep.  But Lanny only used him 3 times.  And Phil went 3-0.   Meanwhile, Lanny played DLIII and Corey Pavin 5 times.  Understandable.  But also played Freddy, Jay Haas, Maggert, and Loren Roberts 4 times each.  Really?  Freddy, I understand, but not the rest.

Oh, and this was the year Lanny picked Curtis Strange over Lee Janzen for a captain's pick, even though Lee was No. 1 on the PGA money list and had won 3 times in 1995.  Lanny went with his buddy Curtis because Curtis won the 1989 US Open at Oak Hill, which is where the Ryder Cup was in 1995.  "Horses for courses," said Wadkins in defense.  Strange went 0-3.

The U.S. lost 14.5 to 13.5.

I've never forgiven Lanny for this.

And Watson was terrible.  Sitting Spieth and Reed on day 1 for the afternoon matches after they dominated in the morning was unforgivable.  And apparently he sucked in the clubhouse.  Phil rightfully called him and the selection process out.

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Like 3

Updated-

1 DUSTIN JOHNSON

2 BROOKS KOEPKA

3 JUSTIN THOMAS

4 PATRICK REED

5 BUBBA WATSON

6 JORDAN SPIETH

7 RICKIE FOWLER

8 WEBB SIMPSON

9 Bryson DECHAMBEAU

10 Phil MICKELSON

11 Xander SCHAUFFELE

12 Matt KUCHAR

13 Tony FINAU

14 Kyle STANLEY

15 Kevin KISNER

16 Brian HARMAN

17 Kevin NA

18 Aaron WISE

19 Zach JOHNSON

20 Tiger WOODS

On 8/6/2018 at 11:56 AM, JimmyHoffa said:

Updated-

1 DUSTIN JOHNSON

2 BROOKS KOEPKA

3 JUSTIN THOMAS

4 PATRICK REED

5 BUBBA WATSON

6 JORDAN SPIETH

7 RICKIE FOWLER

8 WEBB SIMPSON

9 Bryson DECHAMBEAU

10 Phil MICKELSON

11 Xander SCHAUFFELE

12 Matt KUCHAR

13 Tony FINAU

14 Kyle STANLEY

15 Kevin KISNER

16 Brian HARMAN

17 Kevin NA

18 Aaron WISE

19 Zach JOHNSON

20 Tiger WOODS

I don't like the make up of the top eight here. Hope Watson comes up gimp and Jordan fakes one. I like the earlier post about Kisner. Put nine Kisners on the team and one Reed. We will not lose.

• Fuck You 1