2018 Ryder Cup: pre-match discussion

Jive Turkey

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Chamblee, once again, makes a stupid statement saying he would pick Keegan Bradley or Kyle Stanley over Finau. For a UT guy, he is really a unlikable dumbass.

Did he explain why?  Stanley would be a rookie.  Keegan's played twice.  So maybe you can want Keegan for experience, but if you want experience, there's other guys.

The big reason for Keegan would be to pair him up with Phil.  They're 4-0 when paired together.  But Keegan isn't exactly setting the world on fire.  Ranked 65 in the world.  Had 3 top five finishes this year.   Whoopdee doo.

As for Stanley . . .?  He's ranked 27 in the world.  Finau is 10 spots higher.  What would Stanley add that Finau wouldn't?

Did he explain why?  Stanley would be a rookie.  Keegan's played twice.  So maybe you can want Keegan for experience, but if you want experience, there's other guys.
The big reason for Keegan would be to pair him up with Phil.  They're 4-0 when paired together.  But Keegan isn't exactly setting the world on fire.  Ranked 65 in the world.  Had 3 top five finishes this year.   Whoopdee doo.
As for Stanley . . .?  He's ranked 27 in the world.  Finau is 10 spots higher.  What would Stanley add that Finau wouldn't?

He’s worried about the foursomes matches. Feels like the team needs more straight drivers. Which I guess might be valid.

34 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

He’s worried about the foursomes matches. Feels like the team needs more straight drivers. Which I guess might be valid.

Yeah I watched the clip and this is what Chamblee said.  If we get our ass kicked in foursomes like previous years, we can't win in France.  To do well in foursomes, the drive has to be in the fairway.  Stanley is way better at that than Finau, plus his Ryder Cup ranking is not that far off from Finau's.  I don't have a clue whether any of this is accurate, but it is my recollection of what Chamblee was saying.  

16 hours ago, smwhorn said:

Yeah I watched the clip and this is what Chamblee said.  If we get our ass kicked in foursomes like previous years, we can't win in France.  To do well in foursomes, the drive has to be in the fairway.  Stanley is way better at that than Finau, plus his Ryder Cup ranking is not that far off from Finau's.  I don't have a clue whether any of this is accurate, but it is my recollection of what Chamblee was saying.  

Well fuck it if that's the case they should take Ryan Amour, Ryan Moore, or Chez Reavie who are all ranked higher than Stanley in driving accuracy. 

Xander making a push for consideration.  But I think it's done.  It'll be Finau.

I posted this on the PGA thread but probably more relevant here. As of right now, Spieth will be the only U.S. Ryder Cup teammate not to make it to Atlanta. I’d almost prefer it so he can go home and work his ass off to get back on form. Right now, he might be the weak link.

On 9/7/2018 at 1:14 PM, TonyTexas said:

I posted this on the PGA thread but probably more relevant here. As of right now, Spieth will be the only U.S. Ryder Cup teammate not to make it to Atlanta. I’d almost prefer it so he can go home and work his ass off to get back on form. Right now, he might be the weak link.

Or it will be the perfect thing to get him back on track. 

Pretty bad ass team we're bringing to Europe.

World Ranking:

DJ - 2

Koepka - 3

Justin - 4

Bryson - 8

Rickie - 9

Jordan - 10

Bubba - 13

Fat Pat - 14

Finau - 15

Webb - 17

Tiger - 21

Phil - 25

Composite ranking:  11.75

But Europe ain't sliced liver.

Justin Rose - 1

Molinari - 5

Rory - 6

Rahm - 7

Fleetwood - 12

Noren - 16

Casey - 19

Stenson - 23

Hatton - 26

Sergio - 29

Poulter - 34

Olesen - 44

Composite ranking:  18.5

Edited by Jive Turkey

I’m getting so pumped, my favorite golf event hands down over any major.

For your Ryder Cup primer, here are the top nine Ryder cup matches (5 minute clips) fun to revisit.

https://www.rydercup.com/news-media/usa/9-great-ryder-cup-singles-matches?utm_campaign=ryder-cup&utm_medium=email&utm_source=091018-newsletter&utm_content=link-2

On a side note, I’m not sure why everyone hates Chamblee so much. Yes he is smug but I think he is the most informed broadcaster doing golf today. He breaks down players games better than anyone and has hot opinions and sticks by them.

Golf is full of sycophants who never have a single critical word to say about any player. I need the Chamblee’s and Millers to mix in and give dissenting opinions.

I think a lot on here don’t like him because he used to be critical of Tiger but he is now one of Tigers biggest supporters. I love listening to him break down certain golfers games and also his break down of courses. I think when paired with Duval and Nobilo they make the best team in golf.

• Like 1

Almost half of Europe's team (Poulter, Hatton, Olesen, Stenson and Sergio) gained less OWGR points in 2018 than Spieth (the American with the least OWGR points gained in 2018).  

OWGR Points Gained 2018 (Ranking):

Bryson - 1

DJ - 2

Koepka - 3

Justin - 4

Bubba - 8

Fat Pat - 10

Webb - 12

Finau - 13

Phil - 16

Tiger - 17

Rickie - 18

Jordan - 23

Composite ranking:  10.6

Europe

Molinari - 5

Justin Rose - 6

Rory - 7

Fleetwood - 9

Rahm - 11

Noren - 15

Casey - 20

Poulter - 24

Hatton - 28

Olesen - 37

Stenson - 39

Sergio - 54

Composite ranking:  21.25

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Matches I want to see:

Reed/Rory (no brainer)

Bryson/Poulter (their best match player vs hottest golfer who's also a US AM champ)

Tiger/Sergio (no history here)

Phil/Stenson (rematch of The Open showdown)

Rahm vs Koepka/DJ/Finau (bombshow)

Phil/Rose (Merion rematch - USA loses though)

reed v. rahm would be amazing for the lulz.  two biggest assholes on tour.  would be great.

52 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Matches I want to see:

Rahm vs Koepka/DJ/Finau (bombshow)

Don't expect to see much of a bombshow at the Ryder Cup. If I recall correctly, JT played the event on the Euro tour there this year and he said he hit something like 7 drivers for the whole event.

Edited by Wally Fairway

Any pairings predictions?

Spieth/Reed; Woods/DeChambeau; Watson/Simpson; and Johnson/Koepka appear very likely.  Fowler and Mickelson have played together in multiple Ryder Cups (10 and 16) and Finau and Thomas are rookies.  Fowler and JT are buddies but there is something intriguing about a Finau/JT pairing.

On the Euro side, Rose/Stenson seems like the only lock given the 5 rookies and Ryder Cup layoffs for Casey and Molinari.  McIlroy has played with both Poulter and Garcia in the past but I can see the vets being broken up to provide some experience to the other pairings.  Of course, Bjorn may just say fuck it and throw Rose/Stenson and McIlroy/Poulter out there every time.  

On 9/11/2018 at 10:04 AM, alincoln said:

Almost half of Europe's team (Poulter, Hatton, Olesen, Stenson and Sergio) gained less OWGR points in 2018 than Spieth (the American with the least OWGR points gained in 2018).  

OWGR Points Gained 2018 (Ranking):

Bryson - 1

DJ - 2

Koepka - 3

Justin - 4

Bubba - 8

Fat Pat - 10

Webb - 12

Finau - 13

Phil - 16

Tiger - 17

Rickie - 18

Jordan - 23

Composite ranking:  10.6

Europe

Molinari - 5

Justin Rose - 6

Rory - 7

Fleetwood - 9

Rahm - 11

Noren - 15

Casey - 20

Poulter - 24

Hatton - 28

Olesen - 37

Stenson - 39

Sergio - 54

Composite ranking:  21.25

It's all good info to look at but if history is any indication once they put on the colors it doesn't really fucking matter how they have been playing. They feed off the crowd and start playing golf like they haven't in the past 12-18 months it's what those fuckers always do. 

On 9/11/2018 at 12:08 PM, HouTex said:

I really hope I'm wrong, but I think we get our clocks cleaned by the Euros.

On pure talent I would give the U.S. a slight advantage.  I don't think that advantage can overcome the tradition of playing like everyone ordered Ryder Cup shirts two collar sizes too small when they play on European turf with European crowds chanting European things at them though.

Should be interesting to be played in France instead of the UK.  This will only be the second time the Cup has been contested in continental Europe after Valderrama in '97 where Seve was captain and two Spaniards were on the team (14.5 - 13.5 Europe with Davis Love going 0-4).  That was really Seve's tournament and a national celebration of his career and contributions.

The French don't care about golf, generally, or the Ryder Cup, specifically.  There are no French dudes on the team either as players, captain or vice-captains.  I'm sure the Euros and Brits will greatly outnumber the Americans in attendance but it will be strange for the competition to be held in a country with virtually no rooting interest. 

Here are some recent quotes from a French pro golfer about the 2018 Ryder Cup:

"People don't care about the Ryder Cup. Honestly, nobody knows there's going to be a Ryder Cup in France. Only the golfers know. That's it. There won't be many French there. There will be many more from England or Spain. Golf is a very private thing for people in France. Private courses for only rich families or rich people - that's it."

5 hours ago, alincoln said:

Should be interesting to be played in France instead of the UK.  This will only be the second time the Cup has been contested in continental Europe after Valderrama in '97 where Seve was captain and two Spaniards were on the team (14.5 - 13.5 Europe with Davis Love going 0-4).  That was really Seve's tournament and a national celebration of his career and contributions.

The French don't care about golf, generally, or the Ryder Cup, specifically.  There are no French dudes on the team either as players, captain or vice-captains.  I'm sure the Euros and Brits will greatly outnumber the Americans in attendance but it will be strange for the competition to be held in a country with virtually no rooting interest.  

Here are some recent quotes from a French pro golfer about the 2018 Ryder Cup: 

"People don't care about the Ryder Cup. Honestly, nobody knows there's going to be a Ryder Cup in France. Only the golfers know. That's it. There won't be many French there. There will be many more from England or Spain. Golf is a very private thing for people in France. Private courses for only rich families or rich people - that's it."

two of the dudes in my group are going decked out in the unbelievably obnoxious daly american flag pants, etc...  another is going full kit douche with the team's saturday pinstripe pants and everything.  it is going to be glorious. 

i intend to try and get rahm and poulter to completely lose their shit.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 3:24 PM, sidis said:

two of the dudes in my group are going decked out in the unbelievably obnoxious daly american flag pants, etc...  another is going full kit douche with the team's saturday pinstripe pants and everything.  it is going to be glorious. 

i intend to try and get rahm and poulter to completely lose their shit.

I’m so jealous. I was at Hazeltine all 3 days, my first Ryder Cup. I certainly intend on attending one in Europe.