2018 Ryder Cup: pre-match discussion

Jive Turkey

11 hours ago, bularry1 said:

Euro team is rounding into form.  Gonna need Brooks and DJ to carry this team, I think, with Spieth a bit out of form.

I think I’d sit Jordan in alternate shot if his putter is still off that week. Tee to green though he’s still pretty much who he’s always been.

I also don’t want kuchar on the team. Any player that has a losing record in the Ryder isn’t going to be a captains pick for me. I don’t care how they’re currently playing on the tour, it shows they don’t have it in match play when the hottest of lights are on them.

One of the things that I'll look at is OWGR points earned in the current year, while automatic selections are based on the last 2 years performance, I really think that what happened more than a year ago should be heavily discounted vs. what has happened this season and really even more recently.
So here is the current OWGR, sorted by 2018 points earned - BDC currently has the most points of US players not automatic qualifiers.

8-13-18 OWGR 2018 points.JPG

13 hours ago, capnamerca said:

Is Tiger really 11th on the list by points? Only playing this year? That's fucking insane.

What he’s done in basically 10 months is nuts. He hasn’t played in 2 years, this is the most tournaments he’s played since 2013. How you miss that much time and get back to that level this fast is pretty tough to make sense of.

Edited by Revolution512

save for webb and bubba, i really like the top 8.  brooks, dj, jt are all playing awesomely.  reed is good in this setting and i think jordan and rickie can step up to the plate.  tiger is a no-brainer after the last month.  i have no idea why anyone would pick bryson right now.  he is a complete fucking mess.  phil fucking sucks and is an automatic loss if we take him.

with the top 8 locked, right now, i am taking tiger, finau, kisner, and whoever plays better over the next month between xander and kuchar. 

won't happen though.  europe team is looking pretty fucking good.  should be an epic battle...can't wait to be there.

1 hour ago, sidis said:

save for webb and bubba, i really like the top 8.  brooks, dj, jt are all playing awesomely.  reed is good in this setting and i think jordan and rickie can step up to the plate.  tiger is a no-brainer after the last month.  i have no idea why anyone would pick bryson right now.  he is a complete fucking mess.  phil fucking sucks and is an automatic loss if we take him.

with the top 8 locked, right now, i am taking tiger, finau, kisner, and whoever plays better over the next month between xander and kuchar. 

won't happen though.  europe team is looking pretty fucking good.  should be an epic battle...can't wait to be there.

I agree with all of this except I would throw Zach Johnson in with Xander and kuchar

I feel like Furyk needs to look at his 8 guys and ask whether each guy already has a natural partner on the team.  If the answer is yes, he could pick Woods/Bryson (who play a ton together) and Phil/Kisner (2-0-1 in the President's Cup as a team), and be done with it.  It's safe to say Tiger and Phil are locks, and in this scenario, you just add their natural partners.

If the answer is no, then I think he would drop Bryson and then pick two of the following: Kuchar, Xander, and Kisner, and maybe Zach.  Just a straight-hitter to team up with some of the bombers.  

Finau is not making this team.  And it would suck for DeChambeau to finish 9th in points and not make the team.  But he played himself off the team.

Edited by Jive Turkey

kuchar is 6-7-2 in the Ryder and 1-3-0 in singles.  there is no way i would select him.  i don't pick anyone who has a losing record, go with new blood and see what they have...

simpson is 2-2-0 and 0-1-0 in singles

i would rather have zach johnson than either of those guys

Edited by Mileslong
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, sidis said:

well, the difference between me and you guys is that i have an irrational hatred for zach johnson so i don't want to have to root for him.

He's 8-6-2 overall and 3-1-1 in singles. You will have to put your irrational hatred to the side for a weekend. (if he's selected)

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 9:11 PM, Jive Turkey said:

Golf Channel is showing session 3 of the 2010 Ryder Cup from Celtic Manor.  

Man, we had Stewart Cink and Matt Kuchar in one pairing, Bubba and Jeff Overton in another, and Zach Johnson/Hunter Mahan.

Ugh.  Wound up losing 14.5 to 13.5.

Those pants we had on made it look like 1970

This will be an interesting Tiger to watch. No longer the clear cut best player, not expected to carry anybody. The U.S. team is unbelievable with the driver but it’s a second shot golf course and the Euro trash will try to minimize the US strength. But wow we have some guys that have holed some monster, clutch putts in BIG events.

4 players with at least 3 majors? Might finally win across the pond

Edited by Revolution512

Bryson is a mortal lock after this week.  Dude is on fire.  May win back to back weeks.

Phil shot his best round of the year today.  A sweet 64.

Finau is in solo fourth right now at -13.

These are the three that Furyk should select tomorrow.

But it will likely be Bryson, Phil, and Tiger tomorrow.  Tiger isn't playing poorly at all.  He's 9 under, tied for 17th right now. (although he just put one in the water and will drop)

Just probably easier to justify picking Tiger now than waiting a week when there's a chance he might not advance to East Lake.

As mentioned above, the four captain's picks should be locked in by now.  Just the announcements.

1-BROOKS KOEPKA

2-DUSTIN JOHNSON

3-JUSTIN THOMAS

4-PATRICK REED

5-BUBBA WATSON

6-JORDAN SPIETH

7-RICKIE FOWLER

8-WEBB SIMPSON

9-Bryson DECHAMBEAU

10-Phil MICKELSON

11-Tiger WOODS

12-Xander SCHAUFFELE

13-Matt KUCHAR3,

14-Kevin KISNER

15-Tony FINAU

16-Kyle STANLEY

17-Brian HARMAN

18-Kevin NA

19-Gary WOODLAND

20-Zach JOHNSON

Rumor has it that Thomas Bjorn is going with Henrik Stenson, Paul Casey, Ian Poulter and Sergio García.  If true, Rafael Cabrera Bello would be the odd man out.  Dude is playing well.  Much better than Sergio. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/04/thomas-bjorn-choose-sergio-garcia-ryder-cup-wild-card

11 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

If Finau is the last pick I’m really excited about the US team. Even if he’s not we have a lot of young talent and if Furyk can find the right pairings we could win it. 

With Kuchar and ZJ being named vice captains I think that's a pretty safe bet but who knows.