Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

16 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

It really just goes to show you how badly Kliff ran this program into the ground when you consider the QBs he coached at Tech, an eventual #1 overall pick and a legit transcendent once-in-a-generation talent in Mahomes and he couldn't reach .500 in conference play.

who was #1?

Mahomes had offers from Rice and Oklahoma St.

The program was/has been in the ground for a long time.

9 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Has he been looking at D'Eriq King?

king is not the answer

he is a shitty passer, fragile, and has one year left and it looks like Tune is a better QB than king is (as in a complete QB not a little run around guy)

if Tech was remotely interested in a UH QB they would be wise to hope that holgar mishandles the situation and Tune becomes available (something that I see as a high likelihood)

1 hour ago, DonnyKerabatsos said:

who was #1?

Mahomes had offers from Rice and Oklahoma St.

The program was/has been in the ground for a long time.

I have no idea what your comment about Mahomes even means. Yes, Tuberville ran the program into the ground and then Kliff buried it. Going to take a miracle to dig it up.

6 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

You really think someone who's a former college QB himself, a former FBS level OC, and currently a FBS level head coach with an overall winning record is that poor an evaluator of QB talent?  I see no reason whatsoever to believe that.

I think he could be.  Coaches make player evaluation mistakes all the time.

He's never had a coaching job at a power 5 school. Even as an assistant.  He didn't play at a power 5 school either.  Of his last 4 seasons as a head coach, three have been losing ones.  This in the Mountain West.  Perhaps he had to experience personally, playing OU in Norman isn't the same as playing New Mexico.

19 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

I think he could be.  Coaches make player evaluation mistakes all the time.

He's never had a coaching job at a power 5 school. Even as an assistant.  He didn't play at a power 5 school either.  Of his last 4 seasons as a head coach, three have been losing ones.  This in the Mountain West.  Perhaps he had to experience personally, playing OU in Norman isn't the same as playing New Mexico.

So, a professional college football coach can't grasp the difference in talent between the Big 12 and MWC, but you can.  Got it.

6 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

So, a professional college football coach can't grasp the difference in talent between the Big 12 and MWC, but you can.  Got it.

I don't know if that's it or not, maybe it's just poor judgement in general that's the issue.  I'm not sure.  Something obviously possessed him to start a guy 99% of the people who care knew he shouldn't.  It's not just me I'm alluding to here.  Everybody (but Wells) was aware.

Further, you saw how his decision worked out for him.

21 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

It really just goes to show you how badly Kliff ran this program into the ground when you consider the QBs he coached at Tech, an eventual #1 overall pick and a legit transcendent once-in-a-generation talent in Mahomes and he couldn't reach .500 in conference play.

For all of Kliff's shortcomings; recruiting, coaching, and developing QBs ain't even remotely near the list.

Go back and look at the hands he was dealt and how they turned out, solely respective of the QB.

Then compare that with how some other schools seemingly never have shit at the QB position.

Again, for all his faults, cKK can coach the fuck out of QBs.

34 minutes ago, Iceman said:

For all of Kliff's shortcomings; recruiting, coaching, and developing QBs ain't even remotely near the list.

Go back and look at the hands he was dealt and how they turned out, solely respective of the QB.

Then compare that with how some other schools seemingly never have shit at the QB position.

he can't do shit with a QB

that is why so many left him and that was probably at or near the top of the list of things he sucked at

as was already pointed out he was shit with Mahomes as a QB

there is a reason Mahomes did not start his rookie season when so many other highly drafted QBs do.....because Kliff did shit to develop him.....I give a lot of credit to Mahomes for understanding that and being willing to get properly coached so as to not get his ass knocked off for a season and credit to his pro coaching staff for convincing him to do the same, but kliff did not develop shit for QBs

he was so great at "developing" Mahones that he went backwards by 2 games in the second season of starting him

hell he managed to win more with Shimy than with Mahones the year before and Shimy had the tougher schedule with Texas and OU on the road and UH in the OOC instead of LaTech and with Mahones he lost to ASU (on the road) that was 5-7 that year but with Shimy he managed to beat a 7-6 ASU at home

because kliff runs a system and that is all he knows and he is clueless how to adjust to a QB or craft an offense to them especially ones that have talent like Mahomes or Mayfield.....kliff needs a guy that will just plod around and throw a 3 to 5 yard pass consistently to someone and that is about it......he does not know what to do with any talent beyond that....and even if he had a clue what to do with it he does not have a fucking clue how to get a decent to good QB to want to stay and play for him and who the fuck cares how good you might be (or a few fools pretend you are) at developing QBs if they are playing for someone else when they do meaningful shit 

Lolz.  Let the hate flow. 

Keenum never happened.Johnny Manziel, forwhatever a fucktard he was off the field- never won a Heisman.

Quitter Mayfield didn't win Big XII newcomer/ Freshman of the Year under Kliff.  Davis Webb didn't develop either.

Patrick Mahomes didn't lead the Big XII in passing yardage for the two full years he started, nor did he lead the NCAA in passing yardage in 2016.

Bowman didn't look like the 2nd coming of Drew Brees last season before the injury.

Nope.  All smoke and mirrors...

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

I don't know if that's it or not, maybe it's just poor judgement in general that's the issue.  I'm not sure.  Something obviously possessed him to start a guy 99% of the people who care knew he shouldn't.  It's not just me I'm alluding to here.  Everybody (but Wells) was aware.

Further, you saw how his decision worked out for him.

Again, I am 100% sure he knew what Tyner was capable of, or not capable of.

You think we would have won the game or even made it close if Duffey had played the first two series?  

Edited by Dirk X West

16 hours ago, Iceman said:

Fantana can speak for himself, but it seems pretty clear that he didn't criticize Kliff's QB coaching.  He said even with a future NFL MVP type QB and 2 other future NFL QBs, Kliff still couldn't win.

Butt Fumble is the moron you need to focus on.

20 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

Fantana can speak for himself, but it seems pretty clear that he didn't criticize Kliff's QB coaching.  He said even with a future NFL MVP type QB and 2 other future NFL QBs, Kliff still couldn't win.

Butt Fumble is the moron you need to focus on.

Fuck BF. I only post towards that clown for the deliberate misinformation he spews.

My point towards Fantana was actually not in disagreement with his point, but rather emphasizing some of the hardships cKK faced in starting a true Freshman QB and having it turn out well at that position only, while the program fell into further despair, despite the QB play.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

Again, I am 100% sure he knew what Tyner was capable of, or not capable of.

You think we would have won the game or even made it close if Duffey had played the first two series?  

Nah, don't think at all we would  have won or played them closer with Duffey starting.  It was just what to me was a startling poor decision by Wells/Yost that I fear doesn't bode well for the future.

13 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

Nah, don't think at all we would  have won or played them closer with Duffey starting.  It was just what to me was a startling poor decision by Wells/Yost that I fear doesn't bode well for the future.

I was texting with one of my TTech grad nephews at the start of the game and I said Duffey probably should have started. That was dumb on my part because Tech wasn't going to win that game, no way. Anyway, I think first year HC has got to just try to cobble together things the best he can and try stuff that may seem baffling to us watching. What goes on behind the scenes can be ugly for a new HC. Senior players may not want to buy in and are just riding things out. Leadership can suffer too as new guy picks his favorites. It's a juggling act for a good while and the juggler is going to drop a few bowling pins. Most guys just want to play football but there's always some who see their college career ending with no NFL future in sight so with the change in HC they just don't play with the passion or devotion to the game that they once did.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 4:43 PM, Dirk X West said:

I'm not sure that hanging with WVU proves very much.

I'll give you that WVU isn't very good but they did beat NC St by 17 at a neutral site.  I don't know how good NC St is going to be this year but they were a 9 win team last season.  That tells me that WVU has a little something.  Maybe not much but a little. 

28 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

If Duffy goes out and beats baylor I think he should be the starter the rest of the year.  As he gets more comfortable with the offense he will improve........hopefully.  Bowman just needs to retire before he totally destroys his body.

Watched most of the Tech/OkSt game.   Duffy looked good.

Most impressed by the Tech DB's.   Very fast,  good skills,    always in position.*   Stats say Harlan was only 11/85 and OKSt had only 290 in passing.    OU game must have been an awakening. 

*Disclaimer - This view is from a Texas fan whose team currently ranks last in pass defense in the B12.

https://big12sports.com/stats.aspx?path=football&year=2019

20 minutes ago, torre said:

Watched most of the Tech/OkSt game.   Duffy looked good. Most impressed by the Tech DB's.   Very fast,  good skills,    always in position.*   Stats say Harlan was only 11/85 and OKSt had only 290 in passing.    OU game must have been an awakening.  *Disclaimer - This view is from a Texas fan whose team currently ranks last in pass defense in the B12.

https://big12sports.com/stats.aspx?path=football&year=2019

Okie Lite may have been ripe for upset -- coming off 2 physical games (Texas, K-State), 6th straight game without an off week, and on the road to play at Tech.  Something about playing on the road at Jones Stadium is always difficult....  especially for a freshman QB.

Good game for Tech.  Agree that Red Raiders DBs looked surprisingly good.  Wells seems like he is getting better discipline from his defense.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Good game for Tech.  Agree that Red Raiders DBs looked surprisingly good.  Wells seems like he is getting better discipline from his defense.

TT is really thin right now at DB due to injury, but they played well enough.   LB, Jordan Brooks, was the star of the show with 19 tackles, 4 tfl, 3 sacks, a forced fumble.  He's been playing really well all year.

16 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

Duffy looked good other than that he tended to overthrow a lot of his longer shots, based on my first impression.

Early on he was pretty shaky but he seemed to settle in as the game went on. I think he was 26-44 or something like that. He missed a couple of long balls early that might have been TDs.

15 hours ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

What about Thomas Leggett?  

There has been no formal announcement as to either the nature of his injury nor his playing status for this week end against Baylor.  Informal word is that it's a concussion.

If a concussion is the issue, obviously his playing status will be determined by his ability to get through the protocol.

• 2 weeks later...

More B12 Bullshit....

Big 12 fines Texas Tech AD for officiating talk

The Big 12 issued a $25,000 fine and a public reprimand to Texas Tech athletic director Kirby Hocutt on Wednesday after he released a statement about an officiating error in the Red Raiders' loss at Baylor on Saturday.  

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27859502/big-12-fines-texas-tech-ad-officiating-talk

44 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

More B12 Bullshit....

The Big 12 issued a $25,000 fine and a public reprimand to Texas Tech athletic director Kirby Hocutt on Wednesday after he released a statement about an officiating error in the Red Raiders' loss at Baylor on Saturday.  

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27859502/big-12-fines-texas-tech-ad-officiating-talk

When is the B12 going to start fining officials for their screw ups?

46 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

More B12 Bullshit....

First of all, the Freedom of Information Act would have no relevance to a communication between a Texas state entity (Texas Tech University) and a 501c3 private corporation (the Big 12 conference). The FOIA is only relevant to the federal government. We are (allegedly) college educated individuals. Let's call bullshit when we see bullshit. The reporter who claimed he obtained anything " through a Freedom of Information Act request" is completely full of shit.

In an email sent Monday to Bowlsby, obtained by 247Sports through a Freedom of Information Act request, Hocutt wrote that he did not violate the league's policy on commenting about officiating but "rather provided a factual clarification to bring closure to this issue."

Secondly, the Big 12 is a cadaver, stumbling through this world, waiting to be put out of its misery in 2023.

Bolwsby fucked up. Why is anyone surprised?

27 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

First of all, the Freedom of Information Act would have no relevance to a communication between a Texas state entity (Texas Tech University) and a 501c3 private corporation (the Big 12 conference). The FOIA is only relevant to the federal government. We are (allegedly) college educated individuals. Let's call bullshit when we see bullshit. The reporter who claimed he obtained anything " through a Freedom of Information Act request" is completely full of shit.

Secondly, the Big 12 is a cadaver, stumbling through this world, waiting to be put out of its misery in 2023.

Bolwsby fucked up. Why is anyone surprised?

Texas has the Public Information Act (sometimes referred to as the "Open Records Act")...works the same as the FOIA.  So people will use the terms interchangeably.  And yes, any email at ttu.edu that doesn't contain FERPA protected student information is subject to the Texas Public Information Act.

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/sites/default/files/2018-06/PIA_handbook_2018_0.pdf

Edited by Uncle Nate

Just now, Uncle Nate said:

Texas has the Public Information Act (sometimes referred to as the "Open Records Act"...works the same as the FOIA.  So people will use the terms interchangeably.  And yes, any email at ttu.edu that doesn't contain FERPA protected student information is subject to the Texas Public Information Act.

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/sites/default/files/2018-06/PIA_handbook_2018_0.pdf

I understand the Texas Public Information Act. But the reporter asserted the information came not from a Public Information Act request, but from a Freedom of Information Act request. The terms are not interchangeable when reporters are asserting facts. It doesn't work that way. Reporters don't get to report, then expect the readers to discern what they actually meant to say.

There was no "Freedom of Information Act request." Period. The story filed by Rittenburg has factual errors.

So, since we know the information couldn't possibly have been obtained as Rittenburg claimed, was there actually a Public Information Act request, who filed it, how did the response come so quickly, what information was requested, and what information was produced?

Reporters are supposed to report facts and let the readers interpret the information for themselves. We know what was reported in this story was not factual.

As I said, when we see bullshit, we should call it bullshit.

8 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

I understand the Texas Public Information Act. But the reporter asserted the information came not from a Public Information Act request, but from a Freedom of Information Act request. The terms are not interchangeable when reporters are asserting facts. It doesn't work that way. Reporters don't get to report, then expect the readers to discern what they actually meant to say.

There was no "Freedom of Information Act request." Period. The story filed by Rittenburg has factual errors.

So, since we know the information couldn't possibly have been obtained as Rittenburg claimed, was there actually a Public Information Act request, who filed it, how did the response come so quickly, what information was requested, and what information was produced?

Reporters are supposed to report facts and let the readers interpret the information for themselves. We know what was reported in this story was not factual.

As I said, when we see bullshit, we should call it bullshit.

You are picking nits.

The terms are used interchangeably all the time. I work at a state institution and get to deal with this shit all the time. Just admit you fucked up and forgot Texas has its own law that does THE EXACT FUCKING SAME THING and go on.  It's o.k. to be wrong.

38 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

You are picking nits.

The terms are used interchangeably all the time. I work at a state institution and get to deal with this shit all the time. Just admit you fucked up and forgot Texas has its own law that does THE EXACT FUCKING SAME THING and go on.  It's o.k. to be wrong.

With all due respect, they are not "THE EXACT FUCKING SAME THING."

When reporters report, the are supposed to report facts. I get that you work at a state institution and such things as laws and facts don't matter in your world, but reporters are supposed to live in a world where facts have at least a scintilla of importance. You know, the world most people live in.

Point out the passage in the Texas Public Information Act where the executive, through an executive order, can keep matters secret in the interest of national defense or foreign policy, and I will concede. Want me to point out more differences between the two laws? I can. Trust me. There are two separate laws because two separate laws are needed. They serve similar intents, but they absolutely are not "THE EXACT FUCKING SAME THING."

The two laws are in fact two separate laws, with separate functions. The reporter was talking out of his ass. He got his facts wrong. Why is it such an onerous expectation in the minds of government employees that reporters establish their facts before publishing their stories?

Again, I understand you live in a world where federal and state laws laws are interchangeable, completely malleable, and meaningless. But those of us outside the cushy guaranteed lifetime employment and non-accountability of government employment actually do have to know how both federal and state laws operate. 

Adam Rittenburg, the reporter of the story, asserted a fact that was absolutely untrue. The FOIA was not invoked to obtain the document(s) at issue. We know his reporting is factually wrong in at least one instance. Could he possibly be wrong in at least two instances? Maybe three?

I commend you on your decision to work for a state institution. You never have to live outside of the womb. But the rest of us live in a world of facts, reality, and laws. And, in this instance, the writer of the story got all three wrong in one sentence.

And, as I said, for those of us who life in the real world and not eternally in the womb, when we see bullshit, we call bullshit.

Thank you for your service to our government. Have a nice day.

Edited by Randolph Duke

6 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

With all due respect, they are not "THE EXACT FUCKING SAME THING."

When reporters report, the are supposed to report facts. I get that you work at a state institution and such things as laws and facts don't matter in your world, but reporters are supposed to live in a world where facts have at least a scintilla of importance. You know, the world most people live in.

Point out the passage in the Texas Public Information Act where the executive, through an executive order, can keep matters secret in the interest of national defense or foreign policy, and I will concede. Want me to point out more differences between the two laws? I can. Trust me. There are two separate laws because two separate laws are needed. They serve similar intents, but they absolutely are not "THE EXACT FUCKING SAME THING."

The two laws are in fact two separate laws, with separate functions. The reporter was talking out of his ass. He got his facts wrong. Why is it such an onerous expectation in the minds of government employees that reporters establish their facts before publishing their stories?

Again, I understand you live in a world where federal and state laws laws are interchangeable, completely malleable, and meaningless. But those of us outside the cushy guaranteed lifetime employment and non-accountability of government employment actually do have to know how both federal and state laws operate. 

Adam Rittenburg, the reporter of the story, asserted a fact that was absolutely untrue. The FOIA was not invoked to obtain the document(s) at issue. We know his reporting is factually wrong in at least one instance. Could he possibly be wrong in at least two instances? Maybe three?

I commend you on your decision to work for a state institution. You never have to live outside of the womb. But the rest of us live in a world of facts, reality, and laws. And, in this instance, the writer of the story got all three wrong in one sentence.

And, as I said, for those of us who life in the real world and not eternally in the womb, when we see bullshit, we call bullshit.

Thank you for your service to our government. Have a nice day.

You need a hobby, dude.

And I promise you I work my ass off.  So don't disparage what I do for a living.  I work 80 hour weeks with no additional pay for the hours I work.  So take your sanctimonious attitude and shove it up your ass.  You have no right to judge me when you don't even know what I do for a living.  

And in the end, the email was subject to the Texas Public Information Act.  If you had known that, you would have included that in your original post.  But you didn't, because you didn't know what you were talking about.  I pointed it out, and instead of being a fucking man and saying, "Oops, my bad", you have to go on the defensive to cover up your ignorance and then attack me professionally when you don't even know what it is I do for a living.

1 hour ago, Uncle Nate said:

You need a hobby, dude.

And I promise you I work my ass off.  So don't disparage what I do for a living.  I work 80 hour weeks with no additional pay for the hours I work.  So take your sanctimonious attitude and shove it up your ass.  You have no right to judge me when you don't even know what I do for a living.  

And in the end, the email was subject to the Texas Public Information Act.  If you had known that, you would have included that in your original post.  But you didn't, because you didn't know what you were talking about.  I pointed it out, and instead of being a fucking man and saying, "Oops, my bad", you have to go on the defensive to cover up your ignorance and then attack me professionally when you don't even know what it is I do for a living.

The reality is that I don't know the request was pursuant to the Texas Public Information Act. Because the reporter asserted it was pursuant to a completely different piece of legislation. Because the reporter, charged with reporting facts, couldn't do his job with a basic level of competence.

In the world most people live in, facts matter. We live in the world where an errant comma can overturn a death sentence (yes, that actually happened in Florida).

When most people spot an obvious factual error, we tend not to resort to conjecture and insert a fact we feel would be more appropriate. Shockingly to some, most people tend to think facts matter when reporting news.

I don't know what you do for a living. And I don't care what you do for a living. I thank your for your governmental service. But I am concerned that you seem to serve in a position of public trust and, when you spot a factual error, you simply infer what you believe the individual should have said, instead of allowing the individual's words to stand as given. To me, it is disconcerting when public officials do not allow an individual's words to stand on their own, but rather governmental employees feel they are in a superior position to an individual and believe they are granted the right to infer words and meanings that were never delivered by the original author. ("I work for the government, I will tell you what you meant to say instead of allowing you to speak for yourself!"). Who do you work for, the Chinese Consulate?

Shockingly, to some, when allowed to speak for themselves ( as opposed to having government employees reinterpret their comments), the comments of individuals offer a lot of information to the recipients of those comments.

Words have plain meaning. The author was a professional writer. He knew the meaning of each word he wrote. As educated individuals, we should allow the author's words to stand on their own.

The writer made a claim that is not supported by fact. He is a hack writer. It is what it is. Get over your position as a government employee and quit inferring statements that the great unwashed masses never made for themselves. Let the plain and simple words of the hoi palloi stand as they are offered.

The writer fucked up and made an untrue statement. Based on his story, we have no clue whatsoever what happened. It is what it is.

Edited by Randolph Duke