Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

13 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

So, Jett Duffey said he's grad transferring to Tulane, but it seems it fell through because his grades weren't good enough.

Not sure I've ever heard of this before.

Source: QB Jett Duffey not coming to Tulane; Texas Tech grad transfer denied academic admission

True or not, don't know, but I've read Tulane has acceptance rate of 17%.  Read a post by a guy says his buddy was accepted by a number of Stanford, types, but denied by Tulane.

That said, former TT RB, Cory Dauphine, transferred there and I'm pretty sure he was quite a ways away from being a Rhodes Scholar.  So who knows?

And just like that.

Buck up Red Raiders, you just dodged quite a bullet.

It's like you were hammered drunk, were trying to get jiggy with a fatty, and got cock blocked just as you were pulling down your britches.

When you wake up tomorrow you're going to know what gratitude really is.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/msu-invited-to-join-texas-tech-system/

Texas Tech looking at practicing some expansionism

I have said before I thought this would be a good idea and a good fit as long as the Tech system helped to strengthen their liberal arts degree core mission

Midwestern is one of 4 independent universities in Texas (Stephen F. Austin, Texas Southern and Texas Womens the other 3) and they are the only university in the state that has a liberal arts core and they the only university in Texas that is a member of COPLAC http://coplac.org/ the Council of Public Liberal Arts Colleges (interestingly enough University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma just up the road in Chickasha  is also a mamber and I think there could be things to gain from the two of them working together)

It looks like Tech approached Midwestern and they are going to "have a talk about it" with students and locals so who knows how that will go.....it sounds like Midwestern and especially their leadership are open to it at least

I think probably what interest them the most is 4 fold.....the Tech system has two medical schools which does not mean automatic admissions for any Tech system students, but it still helps.....Tech showed a lot of fortitude dealing with another shit bag system getting the vet school and there is a chance that Tech system students could have an advantage for admissions there.....Tech offers some degree programs in Wichita Falls now mainly some engineering graduate programs and programs geared to the AFB there.....Midwestern has added an engineering program in the somewhat recent past, but I imagine they would like more and Tech helped Angelo get theirs started.....and lastly Angelo State has done very well under the Tech system with growth in enrollment, good financial leadership, strong fund raising, and adding degree programs

Midwestern also has a pretty cool research place in west Texas that would go well with the Tech System https://msutexas.edu/academics/scienceandmath/ddrs/

it is "only 3,000 acres" which in that area is like a hobby ranch or gentlemans ranch, but it serves as a base station for all of the other state and federal land out there so the small size in no way limits the available research 

it is also not far from the Texas State System's Christmas Mountains property that Sul Ross utilizes heavily

https://www.tsus.edu/about-tsus/research/christmas-mountains.html

if Sul Ross was to join the Tech System (see below) there might have to be a pay off or a buy in, but that would go well with Tech and Angelo now and Midwestern if they were a part of the Tech System....and lets be honest other than Texas State U. that would probably have something to say Lamar and Sam Houston are probably not utilizing that area very much or on a limited basis and would probably be open to a "buy in" based on the Tech System getting access of they merged in Sul Ross....if not well the Midwestern property is not far and the Christmas Mountains is open to outside research still

I do not know if this will work out because there is always the "regionalism" concerns that happen like when the idiot not-so-sharp was too busy trying to fuck Tech on the vet school and half assed an idea to merge Kingsville and Corpus under a single leadership the way the UT System did with RGV/Brownsville and the locals in both areas went ape shit (in spite of the major success of what the UT System did, but of course the UT system was able to wave a medical school at them while the aggy system was able to wave their asses at their system members).......the merger of Kingsville and Corpus (if one looks at their degree programs) would be a fantastic idea and would make a very strong university with a number of quality programs that are in demand and really there would be little overlap other than cutting unneeded administrative overhead which is the bane of most higher ed in the USA

there is a chance that merged university would even eventually qualify for NRUF potential (not for the funding, but the potential to eventually gain the funding although that program is now massively underfunded)

in the past there was some support (actually driven by locals) for Sul Ross to leave the Texas State System (the same way that Angelo did) and possibly join the Tech System

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/11/us/sul-ross-considers-severing-texas-state-university-system-ties.html

that eventually went nowhere probably because at the time Tech was working on the El Paso medical school and was not wanting to make waves or enemies, but I think if Midwestern comes to the Tech System that may well get the Sul Ross locals fired up to try it again

I think there is a large number of things that could work right including a system that allows Tech PhD candidates in select areas of study to be located in Alpine and to teach mostly lower level undergrad classes thus freeing up the Sul Ross faculty to teach more higher level undergrad classes and there is also a lot of room for resource sharing with degree programs and possibly the Tech System could even get them a full 4 year nursing BSN program

I think there could be a very successful provisional enrollment program where some students with "potential", but shittier high school grades go to Sul Ross for a year or two and then transfer if they make the grades....right now I would not put the admissions for Tech in the "highly difficult" category, but I think there is quickly becoming a time when Tech needs to bump their admissions up especially for some degree programs to actually gain some credibility and exclusivity for the university that would actually make it MORE attractive to top students especially those going to places like OU, Arkansas, Ole' Miss and even LSU because they want to be seen as going to a "flagship school" (never mind Tech is actually a "flagship" but not a land grant or Morrill Act or #1 #2 state school).....it is a perception thing

the NRUF was suppose to help with that, but poor funding, stupid terminology, lazy administrators and the failure of the 10% rule has made sure that program has been feckless....really the answer is to allow some schools to bump up admissions, fund them somewhat better based on performance metrics (like graduation and retention)  and then allow the systems in Texas to make use of similar programs to the UT Caps program that worked out well for all involved to the point that most of the UT System schools said "thanks for the enrollment bump and the bit of reputation we are pulling out of the program now"

https://www.theeagle.com/news/state-and-regional/neglected-college-campuses-on-texas-border-want-a-little-love/article_e28f0144-85e2-582d-898b-c82a2e897fb3.html

there has also been some recent crying by the "Rio Grande" college people about not getting their fair share or Alpine not looking out for them....I think under the Tech System that bullshit could go away and lets face it judith zaffirini is a giant fucking idiot and a detriment to higher ed in Texas with her "never met an issue that she did not want to throw lots of money at" approach to things and the LAST thing ANYWHERE in Texas needs is yet another shitty 4 year school with their own dumb ass administration wasting fucking money on overhead and giving out bad degrees to hardly ANY students

as is said repeatedly in the article it makes a massive amount of sense to keep up the community college transfer approach and to get some assholes that can run an AV system and some distance learning and make it work.....that can EASILY be the Texas Tech System

honestly it COULD be the Texas State System, but their "weak system" set up (not weak as in it sucks) where each member advocated for themselves with the legislature vs the "strong system" method that all other Texas university systems use where the system administrators advocate for the system as a whole means that individual members in the Texas State System are not as cohesive and a school like Texas State is not out there advocating to work more closely with Sul Ross and to help them offer more degrees at the various campuses

I hope this merger happens it would be good for the Tech System and I think really good for MidWestern and probably could help push some other "clean up" in Texas higher ed instead of the idiot zaffirini/west approach which is to just give everyone that cries a 4 year school and then watch it go to shit....or the aggy system approach which is try and suck it all to college station and fuck the others (which they were actually NOT doing and were doing a bit of the opposite of) until not-so-sharp got into power and really fucked things up

Edited by ButtFumble

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2019 at 4:33 PM, Moby Ric said:

Well sorry you don't get the logic and that's fine it is merely my opinion.  I think Yost is shit, and his play calling is shit just like Kliff.  And I never said anything about Yost holding Duffey back.  But Duffey deserves some credit for improving due to the fact that he had lots of playing time and it was clear he improved as a player during the season.  i give the coaching no credit for it since I saw some play calls that made no sense at all during most games.  I am willing to bet Duffey goes elsewhere and does well for himself.  And as far as KK being the noted QB guru that is pure crap.  He was an awful coach and had a Heisman QB (granted a complete douchebag) and an NFL MVP on his roster and screwed it up.  I am just sick and tired of the shit product that Tech keeps putting on the field.  

Kliff was shitty at a lot of things, but calling plays was not one of them.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2019 at 10:46 AM, Brian Fantana said:

$9.95 and all but the dog and pony show being put on by Cody Campbell on the Tech rivals.com board is amazing to watch. I would wager that watching one of your school's billionaire donors having Leacher meltdowns about the football program and repeatedly call for the AD's head on an internet message board (even though he's been doing a phenomenal job across the board minus the whiffs on the football coach) is a once in the lifetime experience. The best part is people asking him how much he paid for the appointment to the Texas higher education board by Abbott. 

People have been shitting on him left and right because he seems to have gotten buttmad because he set up a meeting with Dana Holgersen and Hocutt said no. He seems to be willing to blow up our entire AD just so football can go back to being mediocre (i.e. get rid of Kirby Hocutt which would almost certainly mean we lose Beard at the very least). He's currently in damage control mode because a political hack named Jay Leeson decided to make a post basically threatening the whole board to be nice to Cody or there could be big problems for Tech, and most of the board seems to think it was at Cody's behest. Yesterday he made a big long post about his life, family, how he's a lifelong Red Raider, etc. etc.

It's pretty damn entertaining.

Follow up post:

This shit is just never-ending. It's absolutely hilarious. Honestly it's almost worth the 10 bucks a month by itself to watch one of your big cigar donors throw the kind of bitch fit on an internet message board that certainly happens everywhere but behind closed doors.

It seems like it's a different grievance with him every day. This time he's throwing shade at Wells because some 2-star nobody OL from a 2A West Texas school committed to Baylor and we didn't offer him, saying we need to "go back to our roots" and recruit more "West Texas hay balers." And throwing shade for not recruiting enough Texas kids, etc. Basically a bunch of shit that should be aired over a glass of whiskey in the AD's office, but instead it's just out in the open.

at this point anyone that cannot figure out that holgerson fucking sucks is an idiot

he was about to be fired from WVU, he drove UH into the toilet, tried some "save it for next year" bullshit and then watched the QB that was centered around leave anyway (like kliff the QB whisperer....uh yea whisper for them to LEAVE), he is recruiting like shit at UH just like he did at WVU, NB is out recruiting him at WVU even though coogfans (idiots) claimed that WVU was the reason holgar could not recruit there and holgar would "kill it" in Houston

NB went 5-7 his first year, but he was left with jack shit at QB and a bunch of other players with shitty attitudes and "don't give a fuck" just like their last coach

at this point if you don't look at the recruiting difference between WVU with NB vs UH with holgar and you don't compare the performance of the coaches in their first year relative to the competition they played and the teams they were left with and conclude that holgar is a total chode then you are a fucking idiot

46 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

at this point anyone that cannot figure out that holgerson fucking sucks is an idiot

he was about to be fired from WVU, he drove UH into the toilet, tried some "save it for next year" bullshit and then watched the QB that was centered around leave anyway (like kliff the QB whisperer....uh yea whisper for them to LEAVE), he is recruiting like shit at UH just like he did at WVU, NB is out recruiting him at WVU even though coogfans (idiots) claimed that WVU was the reason holgar could not recruit there and holgar would "kill it" in Houston

NB went 5-7 his first year, but he was left with jack shit at QB and a bunch of other players with shitty attitudes and "don't give a fuck" just like their last coach

at this point if you don't look at the recruiting difference between WVU with NB vs UH with holgar and you don't compare the performance of the coaches in their first year relative to the competition they played and the teams they were left with and conclude that holgar is a total chode then you are a fucking idiot

I thought this was the TTech thread...

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I thought this was the TTech thread...

200.gif

it is, but the discussion just above is about a clown that made some good money in oil and now thinks he should control the Tech athletics department and have Tech make stupid hires like holgar that will run the program further into the ground

23 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

it is, but the discussion just above is about a clown that made some good money in oil and now thinks he should control the Tech athletics department and have Tech make stupid hires like holgar that will run the program further into the ground

Fair enough.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29336036/texas-tech-lands-graduate-transfer-alabama-running-back-chadarius-townsend

Texas Tech lands graduate transfer from Alabama Chadarius Townsend to backfield

Jun 19, 2020

Associated Press

LUBBOCK, Texas -- Texas Tech is adding Alabama graduate transfer Chadarius Townsend, who was used sparingly at running back by the Crimson Tide and has two years of eligibility remaining.

Townsend was a standout high school quarterback in Alabama before joining the Crimson Tide in 2017. After a redshirt season, he split time at running back and receiver while also playing special teams for two years. He had eight carries for 22 yards last season.

Coach Matt Wells has now added a grad transfer at running back in each of his two offseasons with the Red Raiders. Armand Shyne came over from Utah last year and finished second on the team with 374 yards rushing.

SaRodorick Thompson led Texas Tech with 765 yards and 12 touchdowns on the ground as a redshirt freshman last year. He was the eighth player to lead the Red Raiders in rushing as a freshman. Another freshman, Ta'Zhawn Henry, was third behind Shyne.

Townsend, who got his degree in human environmental science in three years, is the fourth graduate transfer to join Texas Tech this offseason. The others are linebacker Brandon Bouyer-Randle (Michigan State), offensive lineman Josh Burger (Wofford) and linebacker Jacob Morgenstern (Duke).

Edited by LTtxfan