Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29336036/texas-tech-lands-graduate-transfer-alabama-running-back-chadarius-townsend

Texas Tech lands graduate transfer from Alabama Chadarius Townsend to backfield

Jun 19, 2020

Associated Press

LUBBOCK, Texas -- Texas Tech is adding Alabama graduate transfer Chadarius Townsend, who was used sparingly at running back by the Crimson Tide and has two years of eligibility remaining.

Townsend was a standout high school quarterback in Alabama before joining the Crimson Tide in 2017. After a redshirt season, he split time at running back and receiver while also playing special teams for two years. He had eight carries for 22 yards last season.

Coach Matt Wells has now added a grad transfer at running back in each of his two offseasons with the Red Raiders. Armand Shyne came over from Utah last year and finished second on the team with 374 yards rushing.

SaRodorick Thompson led Texas Tech with 765 yards and 12 touchdowns on the ground as a redshirt freshman last year. He was the eighth player to lead the Red Raiders in rushing as a freshman. Another freshman, Ta'Zhawn Henry, was third behind Shyne.

Townsend, who got his degree in human environmental science in three years, is the fourth graduate transfer to join Texas Tech this offseason. The others are linebacker Brandon Bouyer-Randle (Michigan State), offensive lineman Josh Burger (Wofford) and linebacker Jacob Morgenstern (Duke).

What is with Tech and these running backs without biblical names? #noracist

For the offended: It is a reference to SEC Guy 

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

Bob Knight did pretty well at Tech.

You're right.  I was conflating the end of the TTU careers of Bobby Knight, Pat Knight, and the Pirate.  While the latter two were fired, Bobby left on his own terms, albeit abruptly, with no notice, in the middle of the season, so that he could hand the reins to Pat, who was fired 3 years later.  

5 minutes ago, nnm said:

You're right.  I was conflating the end of the TTU careers of Bobby Knight, Pat Knight, and the Pirate.  While the latter two were fired, Bobby left on his own terms, albeit abruptly, with no notice, in the middle of the season, so that he could hand the reins to Pat, who was fired 3 years later.  

Yeah, that was bad, no doubt, but before that he won a lot of games  (by the standards of pre-Chris Beard TTU basketball), and there were little to no allegations of player abuse, which you seemed to be implying.

6 hours ago, nnm said:

She sounds like a modern, female Bobby Knight.  And we know how that turned out up in Lubbock.

evidently you don't if you're making some sort of comparison here.

56 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

And she's done.

After reading the USA Today story and reading a lot of people saying on social media and on the 247 Tech board that all this stuff is almost certainly true and that Stollings and her main assistant had a reputation for this stuff, I don't see how they could have not fired her.  I'm a Kirby Hocutt fan, but this is big black mark for his record.

kirby ain't gettin fired over women's basketball.

Maybe football causes issues, but not women's hoops with the results of the men's hoops, baseball, and track programs added in.

Tech couldn't be that stupid again, could they?

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

kirby ain't gettin fired over women's basketball.

Maybe football causes issues, but not women's hoops with the results of the men's hoops, baseball, and track programs added in.

Tech couldn't be that stupid again, could they?

Last time I looked Tech has 2 team national championships.  Track and Field a couple of years ago and Marsha Sharp Freeway womens basketball.

3 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Last time I looked Tech has 2 team national championships.  Track and Field a couple of years ago and Marsha Sharp Freeway womens basketball.

And your point is what?   Oh you have none...   Aggy as fuck with that old ass shit.

women’s hoops program has been in the shitter for years. It means not a gotdam thing in the big picture with regard to Kirby Hocutt.

That Lady Raiders national title was a looong time ago now (sad to say, as I was a freshman at Tech that year), and they've been bad for a while.  They used to pull some big crowds by women's basketball standards, but that also ended long back.  I mean, most college kids today aren't old enough to remember when we were a power in that sport.

8 hours ago, slorch said:

And your point is what?   Oh you have none...   Aggy as fuck with that old ass shit.

women’s hoops program has been in the shitter for years. It means not a gotdam thing in the big picture with regard to Kirby Hocutt.

The anger is real.

The Iceman leaveth.  Slorch is back. 

3 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

The anger is real.

The Iceman leaveth.  Slorch is back. 

I'm not angry at all.  Your point was stupid yesterday.  It still is today.

That being said, Kiby's job is anything but safe in today's world, especially at Texas Tech, where he might have pissed someone off by not sharing a hotdog with them at the snack shack at Lake Ridge.

On 8/13/2020 at 9:27 AM, Longboard Horn said:

The Border Conference. Tech owned it!

2109659699bc94feb8eb6a62a895de40.jpg

My great granddad played for WTS in the early 20s and coached them for a season in 1928 - 3 years before the border conference. He was the dean of men after that and has a Sun bowl watch from either '50 or '62.

Cool history - I didn't know that group of teams used to face off for a conference title.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

My great granddad played for WTS in the early 20s and coached them for a season in 1928 - 3 years before the border conference. He was the dean of men after that and has a Sun bowl watch from either '50 or '62.

Cool history - I didn't know that group of teams used to face off for a conference title.

That is bad ass! And yes back in those days conferences only had about 8 or 9 schools(SEC had 10) and just like the current Big 12 every team would play each other. There was no CCG so conferences had a team win it outright or there was a shared title. Tech was king of the Border Conference. They won it 7 times in the short time they were a member. The winner of the Border Conference was rewarded with a trip to play in the Sun Bowl in El Paso every year, just like the SWC champ got the Cotton Bowl.

From the Sun Bowl records, West Texas State won it in 1951 and 1962