Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

15 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

From the Sun Bowl records, West Texas State won it in 1951 and 1962 

Yeah - I feel like it was the 1962 season. There was some dispute involving the NCAA and lodging for a player and his wife. He got it sorted out on the side of the player/university with some sharp family-values rhetoric. They gave him a watch for it. I know there's a passage about it in my dad's book but I don't have it in front of me.

He passed awhile ago and left the watch to my dad. I'm sure it's bequested to me. 

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah - I feel like it was the 1962 season. There was some dispute involving the NCAA and lodging for a player and his wife. He got it sorted out on the side of the player/university with some sharp family-values rhetoric. They gave him a watch for it. I know there's a passage about it in my dad's book but I don't have it in front of me.

He passed awhile ago and left the watch to my dad. I'm sure it's bequested to me. 

Display that watch in a trophy case. Cool part of history.

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

• Hook 'Em 1

Lady Raiders Program to be reviewed since they hired a new coach today. Review will include Hocutt's response to claims of abuse before the USA Today article went out.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2020/08/18/texas-tech-president-says-ad-kirby-hocutt-reviewed/3395606001/

Texas Tech President Lawrence Schovanec says the university will thoroughly review the situation inside the Lady Raiders program, including Athletic Director Kirby Hocutt’s response.

Schovanec said Monday the first priority has been to hire a new coach of the program. After that, he said there will be time to reflect and review how the women’s basketball program was being handled. Schovanec said more information about the review will be announced later.

When asked about Hocutt’s role, Schovanec said on Monday: “We’ll have more to say about that as we go forward. Don’t think we haven’t reflected on that to a great deal. Right now we’re in the process of doing a search for a new coach. We want to get that taken care of.

“Then there will be a time to reflect and review things that have happened,” Schovanec continued. “I haven’t discussed that in any depth with Kirby, but I can assure you he’s given it much thought. There will be more to be said about that. I just feel like now would be a bit premature to elaborate on that aspect of what happened.”

On Tuesday, Tech announced it’s hiring Krista Gerlich as the next Lady Raiders head coach.

Deep dive: Texas Tech women's basketball players describe toxic culture

Coach fired:Marlene Stollings fired amid abuse claims within women's basketball team

AD speaks:'No flags' raised when hiring allegedly abusive coaches

Two weeks ago, USA TODAY published an article featuring 10 players describing an abusive culture under coach Marlene Stollings, assistant coach Nikita Lowry Dawkins, and strength and conditioning coach Ralph Petrella.

Schovanec called the incident a black eye for the university.

Texas Tech elected to terminate coach Stollings on Aug. 6 amid the allegations of abuse within the program. A day later, assistant coach Dawkins was fired. Petrella, the strength and conditioning coach who denies any misconduct, resigned after the season in March.

During a news conference after the firings, Hocutt said he apologized to players for failing to address concerns they had reported via meetings with administrators, season-ending surveys, NCAA waiver letters, and a complaint with the school’s Title IX office, according to another USA TODAY story.

“Have we let these girls down? We have,” Hocutt said in the news conference. “And I’m going to improve on it.”

Schovanec also said the university let the student-athletes down.

Hocutt has led the Texas Tech athletics department since 2011 and is one of the nation’s highest-paid athletics directors. He is making $1.545 million this fiscal year on a contract that runs through August 2027. He said during his news conference that a four-person committee was tasked with investigating the women’s basketball program culture, and he was given the months-long investigation orally at the end of June.

Action wasn’t taken until after it became a national story.

Schovanec added: “I do want to emphasize that Kirby Hocutt is a person that does not let things slide. It wasn’t a case that somebody was asleep at the wheel. There was ongoing discussion and review and communication. As Kirby said in his press conference, we felt like we let those student-athletes down.”

Once the new coach is hired, Schovanec said, the university will review what happened within the program.

“We’re always looking for ways to reflect upon what’s happened, to improve what we do, and to make sure we do better as we go forward,” Schovanec said Monday. “There will be more to be said about that, but right now we’re focused on getting a new coach. The pool was excellent. We can turn this around quickly, making sure that our first priority is how we take care of the student-athletes that are on the team. That will be the challenge — to build the kind of relationship and trust that was lacking.”

https://www.kcbd.com/2020/08/27/red-raider-football-player-asks-fans-respect-they-join-protest/

Red Raider football players ask fans for respect as they join protest

LUBBOCK, Texas (KCBD) - Members of the Texas Tech Red Raider football team have announced some players are choosing not to play in order to join other sports teams around the country refusing to play as a protest against police brutality.

Red Raider Defensive Back Cameron Watts posted a copy of a release to his social media on Thursday, saying: “Rather than pretend these problems don’t exist and maintain a practice schedule that does not take into consideration the mental health issues derived from seeing our fellow citizens beaten and murdered in the streets on a daily basis, we will instead use this time to discuss these issues amongst ourselves and decide how best to move forward in a manner that will allow us to effectuate change here in Lubbock as well as the cities we call home.”

The statement does not detail how many members of the team will be taking part in this protest, but the statement was posted on the social media pages of several players.

In the statement, players say they know a portion of Red Raider fans will not understand or support their decision, but they ask the public to respect their right to peacefully protest.

“The very blood that fuels the heart we display every Saturday on the field also stimulates our minds to be the change we want to see in the world,” the statement reads.

Texas Tech University administration have not yet released an official response, but head coach Matt Wells posted a statement to social media, saying the Texas Tech football program stands with the players in support.

(edited to add that Sharon Maines is still a fine looking woman-she's got to be close to sixty)

Edited by bmbmd

39 minutes ago, bmbmd said:

https://www.kcbd.com/2020/08/27/red-raider-football-player-asks-fans-respect-they-join-protest/

Red Raider football players ask fans for respect as they join protest

(edited to add that Sharon Maines is still a fine looking woman-she's got to be close to sixty)

I think she's 63 or 64 and is, indeed, still a very fine specimen.  I'm 57 and was still in high school when she started in Lubbock TV as Sharon Hibner/Hebner.  We all thought very highly of her back then.  And she's still married to Kenny Maines of the famous South Plains musical family

1 hour ago, DeadArmadillo said:

I think she's 63 or 64 and is, indeed, still a very fine specimen.  I'm 57 and was still in high school when she started in Lubbock TV as Sharon Hibner/Hebner.  We all thought very highly of her back then.  And she's still married to Kenny Maines of the famous South Plains musical family

We were in the same Sunday School class a lifetime ago, and our boys played in a band together for a short while. 

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/local-news/texas-tech-starting-running-back-sarodorick-thompson-arrested-monday/

Texas Tech starting running back SaRodorick Thompson arrested Monday

LUBBOCK, Texas — SaRodorick Thompson, Texas Tech University’s starting running back, was arrested Monday.  A warrant was issued for Thompson’s arrest on September 10 for street racing.

In June, another Texas Tech football player, Caden Leggett was arrested for street racing.

Related Story: Texas Tech football player arrested, charged with racing

Tweet found by @Horny Bull

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/local-news/texas-tech-starting-running-back-sarodorick-thompson-arrested-monday/

LUBBOCK, Texas — SaRodorick Thompson, Texas Tech University’s starting running back, was arrested Monday.  A warrant was issued for Thompson’s arrest on September 10 for street racing.

In June, another Texas Tech football player, Caden Leggett was arrested for street racing.

They should add on another charge for being named SaRodrick.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

.....but is expected to play Saturday....no kidding.

1 hour ago, pch said:

Assuming the Baptists don't cancel the WVU game 22 hours before kickoff like they did with UH.

Baylor canceled because of Big 12 mandated player requirements it is not like that is the first or will be the last game canceled with short notice

and Tech announced zero covid positives among athletes and athletics staff today or yesterday

Tech has a lot more players available for Texas game this week than their last game including the LB Schooler...

With more players back, they had more physical practices to prepare for this game vs TEXAS.

247:  The Big Picture: Matt Wells Previews Texas Tech vs. Texas

Edited by LTtxfan