Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

6 hours ago, slorch said:

Bahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

It was almost 3 decades between Carlen and Leach.  They might grow on trees... but we don’t have many.

With aggy off to the SEC, I strongly believe Tech can become the intra-state rival for the Longhorns that replaces A&M the same as when Arkansas left for the SEC...

10 hours ago, kopp0e said:

With aggy off to the SEC, I strongly believe Tech can become the intra-state rival for the Longhorns that replaces A&M the same as when Arkansas left for the SEC...

I could see that. If I’m not mistaken, back in 2012, whoever called the UT-Tech game stated “with the aggies gone to the sec, this is the new Lonestar Showdown.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

Serious question: when did Tech and Baylor start playing each other in DFW? Why don't they play in Waco or Lubbock? Always wondered that.

I guess they make more money than a home and home.  I wish it was still home and home.  Except that you have to risk getting raped on that Waco return trip.  Or worse, running into Chip and Joanna

• Haha 1

The number  of Tech alums in the Metroplex also impacts the decision.  A home game in Lubbock around the Thanksgiving weekend is a disaster with regard to attendance.

I too wish they would return to a home and home, but for now, that is why they do not.

Edited by slorch

18 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Serious question: when did Tech and Baylor start playing each other in DFW? Why don't they play in Waco or Lubbock? Always wondered that.

Can't speak for Baylor, but Tech felt a yearly presence in DFW would be of value in a variety of fashions not the least of which would be recruiting.

On 5/5/2018 at 5:48 PM, Longboard Horn said:

When it comes to Craig James, hpslugga said it best over on shaggy:

“The only man in America that could help turn Mustangs into Ponies and Red Raiders into The Rectum Tech Fanny Bandits. College football fans would be wise to create a GoFundMe for Adam James' vasectomy so this shitstain never has a grandchild play for some other program for him to fuck into obscurity.”

I would totally get behind this. 

In my defense, I was being totally sincere. The only thing I left out was at the very end, I should have said "and you know it'll be "some other program" too because neither Tech nor SMU wants shit to do with that family."

Edited by hpslugga
  • Like 2

On 5/5/2018 at 5:48 PM, Longboard Horn said:

When it comes to Craig James, hpslugga said it best over on shaggy:

“The only man in America that could help turn Mustangs into Ponies and Red Raiders into The Rectum Tech Fanny Bandits. College football fans would be wise to create a GoFundMe for Adam James' vasectomy so this shitstain never has a grandchild play for some other program for him to fuck into obscurity.”

I would totally get behind this. 

Hunh....I thought he was a cock gobbler.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Machinator said:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/6/8/17420264/texas-tech-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

Connelly seems somewhat bullish on them this season because they return a lot of defensive production.

Lolz.  Never thought I’d hear that phrase uttered with regard to being a strength of the team.

Usually,  turnover of the defensive players was the only hope for improvement on that side the of the ball.

On 6/8/2018 at 1:23 PM, slorch said:

Lolz.  Never thought I’d hear that phrase uttered with regard to being a strength of the team.

Usually,  turnover of the defensive players was the only hope for improvement on that side the of the ball.

“Well, our coaches  missed on all of their targeted recruits, and we have no returning seniors. The future looks bright.”

12 hours ago, BluTechsan said:

Top 8 Finish Nationally in Basketball

Top 8 Finish Nationally in Golf

Top 8 Finish Nationally in Track and Field

Top 8 Finish Nationally in Baseball

Top 80 Finish Nationally in Football

Would you trade a Top 8 finish in football for a Top 80 finish in the rest of those sports?

12 hours ago, BluTechsan said:

Top 8 Finish Nationally in Basketball

Top 8 Finish Nationally in Golf

Top 8 Finish Nationally in Track and Field

Top 8 Finish Nationally in Baseball

Top 80 Finish Nationally in Football

I'm sure you're hoping Tech can make the CWS finals so they can get off this prestigious list.

http://aggypedia.com/wiki/Texas_A%26M_Athletics

Futility

So, to sum up: Current list of Power 5 schools that have not finished in the Final/Top 4 in baseball, basketball, or football since 1940:
  • Northwestern
  • Texas Tech
  • aggy

5 hours ago, Big Frog II said:

Would you trade a Top 8 finish in football for a Top 80 finish in the rest of those sports?

No, because we kinda already did that in '08.

But trade a National Title or at least a championship game appearance? Absolutely!!!

regardless of the football struggles of late it's still impressive for all those other top8s to have been achieved this year - and with baseball still going

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I still ponder how Tech’s football program would be if Leach was still there.

they should have locked him up for life. Perfect match. I know he had wandering eyes.  And I know they paid him well. But man, wish they could have figured out a way to make that work.  Love the color he added to the Big 12. 

9 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

they should have locked him up for life. Perfect match. I know he had wandering eyes.  And I know they paid him well. But man, wish they could have figured out a way to make that work.  Love the color he added to the Big 12. 

we've rehashed it over and over and even all of us Tech fans don't agree.

my take has always been that he would have moved on by now had he not been fired in '09 so I'm not butt hurt about him being sent packing.

as for him being fired, you mentioned his wandering eyes - yes that was a problem but not enough to get fired over in and of itself.

insubordination was a problem but not enough to get fired over in and of itself.

crazy contract demands were a problem but not enough to get fired over in and of itself.

however, combined altogether and with the cherry on top being getting taken to court over a suspension and Tech had had enough and pulled the trigger.

hindsight is 20/20 and perhaps Tech FB would  also be a top8 program like Tech's other men's teams.

but like I said, 9 years later I don't believe Mike would still be HC regardless of what happened in '09

Just now, BluTechsan said:

we've rehashed it over and over and even all of us Tech fans don't agree.

my take has always been that he would have moved on by now had he not been fired in '09 so I'm not butt hurt about him being sent packing.

as for him being fired, you mentioned his wandering eyes - yes that was a problem but not enough to get fired over in and of itself.

insubordination was a problem but not enough to get fired over in and of itself.

crazy contract demands were a problem but not enough to get fired over in and of itself.

however, combined altogether and with the cherry on top being getting taken to court over a suspension and Tech had had enough and pulled the trigger.

hindsight is 20/20 and perhaps Tech FB would  also be a top8 program like Tech's other men's teams.

but like I said, 9 years later I don't believe Mike would still be HC regardless of what happened in '09

I agree with all of this.  More of a lament.  Leach at Tech was fun and added a lot to the conference.

Crazy contract demands=  getting paid market value

I love how Leach's detractors are still in denial of what happened and why.  The dude had to be forcefully removed from his job at Tech after he held their feet to the fire on that contract... He has had one other collegiate employer since then.

and idiots still accuse him of the "wandering eye."  Yes, of course.  Tech was always negotiating in good faith, right?

and that Saban guy, he's gonna be the next coach at UT...  Bama paid the motherfucker, just like they should have.

Tech got pissy and wanted the illusion of 'control' and access.  " No man is bigger than the program"  they said.

The anti-leach folks were waaaaaaaaay fucking wrong.  Always will be.

Edited by slorch

7 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Youll get Seth Littrell, and youll like it

there is no way they take Seth "Lamar" Littrell when Sonny Dykes is out there unless Dykes has a terrible season at SMU and I do not think that Seth "Lamar" will have a very good season this year at north Texas state they generally fall back to earth rapidly

if Tech ends up with Dykes after a bad to meh season at SMU or with "Lamar" Littrell at all it is a sign they have pretty much given up there are way better options out there

Personally, if we're going to move on from the past, Neal Brown isn't part of that solution...

So you're probably 100% accurate.

The rift that keeps on giving...

Edited by slorch

On 5/19/2018 at 7:27 AM, slorch said:

The number  of Tech alums in the Metroplex also impacts the decision.  A home game in Lubbock around the Thanksgiving weekend is a disaster with regard to attendance.

I too wish they would return to a home and home, but for now, that is why they do not.

That makes sense, as you stated there's numerous Tech fans in the DFW area, I met a few last weekend while procuring myself a couple of Double Double w/ animal style fries...

At one time, Tech used a logo on the field that look similar to the Mobil flying horse logo:

Mobil’s High-Flying Trademark

high-flying trademark

A winged neon reminder of the its oil heritage once soared above Dallas on the Magnolia Petroleum building.

On 6/12/2018 at 2:00 PM, Big Frog II said:

No.  Basketball has been awesome.  Baseball has been awesome for 5 years now.   The momentum of both of those programs is pure awesome.

We don’t want to be Top 8 in football.  We made damned sure of it.

On 5/17/2018 at 1:28 PM, texasstrong12 said:

plus Demarcus Felton announced just days ago he would also be transferring from the program

About that...

http://www.lubbockonline.com/news/20180626/tech-says-felton-stringer-to-rejoin-team-after-indicating-plans-to-transfer

Junior LB Brayden Stringer will return as well.

No.  Basketball has been awesome.  Baseball has been awesome for 5 years now.   The momentum of both of those programs is pure awesome.

We don’t want to be Top 8 in football.  We made damned sure of it.

All because of this cock gobbling piece of shit
9d7e2b7b3f95dc922c643dcb81fb8578.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/19/2018 at 1:08 AM, Longboard Horn said:

I could see that. If I’m not mistaken, back in 2012, whoever called the UT-Tech game stated “with the aggies gone to the sec, this is the new Lonestar Showdown.”

The problem is neither Tech nor UT has been all that great since 2012. I don't think we have had one really compelling game since that night that shall not be mentioned.