Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

1 hour ago, BluTechsan said:

The "part 1" video in the twitter link above shows the goal line INT that was called an INT on the field.

Tech was flagged for excessive celebration after the play.

The play was reviewed and reversed without conclusive video evidence. The celebration penalty was enforced.

This was the straw that broke the camels back.

Throughout the game there had already been a handful of close-could go either way-calls that video evidence was inconclusive so the calls on the field should have stood. However, a reversal occurred every time the call on field favored Tech and the play stood if the call on field favored the Clones. Every. Time.

But, the nonsense actually began in the 1st qtr on a play ruled an INT for the Clone defense in which a review never took place.

Tech took a timeout to get a review and still didn't receive one.

you realize you are talking to the recipient of the most ref-fuckery in conference right?   The OU and OSU games this year were blatant fuckery.   And none of that shit even comes close to our 2015 game fuckery where those officials are still allowed to 'ref' our games.   Your team helped keep the conference together.   Enjoy!  Hopefully they keep fucking you over until you break the conference apart and let everyone blame Texas for it as well after multiple state political hearings first.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

A bunch of bullshit, but I have zero sympathy for Tech. I hope y'all become the new target for sketchy officiating in the new Big 12. 

Don't need your sympathy.  Need objective officiating.

Pretty shitty on both ends. A professional radio guy saying the refs actively want the other team to win, thats message board level bitchassedness, even when the refs do in fact suck (they often do). The league suspending them is equally stupid and petty. In any event, yes, Bowlsby sucks, and I don't understand why the schools don't get together to replace him.

3 minutes ago, hook me said:

I haven't seen the videos, haven't heard the radio commentators comments, & have no idea what happened other than TTU won on a last second FG; but one thing I have no doubt of in my many dealings with TTU fans, this is all somehow UT's fault.

I watched almost that whole game. Iowa State losing that game actually helped OSU, but there wasn't anything I saw that made me even raise my eyebrow thinking that somehow Tech was getting "screwed" on calls.

This is just typical confirmation bias bullshit from fans, or in this case, radio announcers. Every bad or missed call is "proof" that the refs are somehow out to get them, when in reality, college refs just suck and fuck up calls all the time.  Fans just don't pay attention or notice as much when the shitty calls benefit them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I watched almost that whole game. Iowa State losing that game actually helped OSU, but there wasn't anything I saw that made me even raise my eyebrow thinking that somehow Tech was getting "screwed" on calls.

This is just typical confirmation bias bullshit from fans, or in this case, radio announcers. Every bad or missed call is "proof" that the refs are somehow out to get them, when in reality, college refs just suck and fuck up calls all the time.  Fans just don't pay attention or notice as much when the shitty calls benefit them.

That play on-the-field ruling was a Tech interception and the replay videos were inconclusive, and yet the replay official overturned it in favor of Iowa State.

This happened after 2 or 3 other reviews that were questionable all went in favor of Iowa State, so Texas Tech fans anger was warranted.  That interception by Tech should have stayed as called on-the-field...  

Btw, I'm not a fan for either team so FWIW this is my unbiased opinion...

• Hook 'Em 1

5 HOURS AGO

Sources: Joey McGuire working Baylor connection for Texas Tech defensive coordinator hire

The new Texas Tech coach is looking to stay within the Ron Roberts tree to lead his defense, sources say.

ZACH BARNETT

Texas Tech head coach Joey McGuire is targeting Patrick Toney to be his defensive coordinator in Lubbock, sources told FootballScoop on Thursday.  McGuire and Toney have never worked together, but they share an important connection in Ron Roberts.

Toney, 31, worked alongside Roberts at Southeastern Louisiana and Louisiana-Lafayette. Coaching safeties and special teams under head coach Roberts, Toney was part of a staff that turned the 3-8 Lions into a team that went 20-7 with back-to-back FCS playoffs appearances in 2013-14. His units first in the FCS in pass efficiency defense, second in interceptions, fifth in red zone defense, seventh in total defense and eighth in scoring defense, and his special teams topped the nation in kickoff return average, sixth in blocked kicks and 13th in kickoff return defense. Toney worked closely with (now Alabama) defensive coordinator Pete Golding while at Southeastern. 

Following Southeastern Louisiana, Toney spent time coaching safeties at Sam Houston and then joining back up with Golding a tUTSA, where multiple players earned all-conference honors.

When Roberts landed the defensive coordinator job on Billy Napier's staff at ULL, Toney came along as safeties coach, and when Roberts left to coordinate Dave Aranda's defense at Baylor, Toney was promoted to defensive coordinator. 

“He’s always learning," Napier said of Toney earlier this season. "I love coming to work every day knowing we’ve got one of the bright, young, up-and-coming football minds in our building. I think we’re all going to be telling stories about ole ‘PT’ one day.

“He’s exceptional. We’re certainly proud to have him.”

McGuire coached outside linebackers under Roberts at Baylor before landing the Texas Tech job.

There are many complicating factors standing between Toney and a possible deal with Texas Tech.

If Napier lands a Power 5 job in the coming weeks, Toney could be in line to follow his boss, or to potentially replace him in Lafayette, or he could garner further interest from Power 5 head coaches. 

In the meantime, Toney has 9-1 Louisiana's defense gunning for the program's first Sun Belt title game victory. The Ragin' Cajuns visit Liberty on Saturday, close the regular season with rival ULM, and then host the East champion in the title game on Dec. 4.

Edited by LTtxfan

Here's the irony of this whole thing.  Most every Tech fan had moved on about the officiating by Sunday night or Monday, and no one anywhere in the media was even aware of the Tech broadcast crews' comments.  No one was really talking about any of it after that until Bob Bowlsby decided he wasn't going to be shown up by some pissant radio crew (in his mind) and wanted to flex his muscle and show everyone what a big man he was by not only reprimanding them, but by also doing the unprecedented action of suspending them and then tweeting it out for the whole world to see.  

He could have done a private reprimand and warning and left it at that.  But no, he wanted the whole world to see how powerful he could be so he decided to very publically suspend them, which has in turn put the spotlight on the officiating of that game when it was pretty much a dead issue three days ago.  And NO ONE outside of the Tech fanbase even heard the radio call to begin with...now everyone has.  

Bowlsby is about as dumb as a bag of rocks.

Edited by Uncle Nate
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

That play on-the-field ruling was a Tech interception and the replay videos were inconclusive, and yet the replay official overturned it in favor of Iowa State.

This happened after 2 or 3 other reviews that were questionable all went in favor of Iowa State, so Texas Tech fans anger was warranted.  That interception by Tech should have stayed as called on-the-field...  

Yes. And I see shit like this happen in just about every single college football game I watch.

The overall incompetency of officiating crews in every league in almost every game is pretty staggering. 

All I'm saying is that fans very often lose their shit when the incompetency hurts them while not necessarily noticing or quickly forgetting about it when it benefits them.

35 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Here's the irony of this whole thing.  Most every Tech fan had moved on about the officiating by Sunday night or Monday, and no one anywhere in the media was even aware of the Tech broadcast crews' comments.  No one was really talking about any of it after that until Bob Bowlsby decided he wasn't going to be shown up by some pissant radio crew (in his mind) and wanted to flex his muscle and show everyone what a big man he was by not only reprimanding them, but by also doing the unprecedented action of suspending them and then tweeting it out for the whole world to see.  

He could have done a private reprimand and warning and left it at that.  But no, he wanted the whole world to see how powerful he could be so he decided to very publically suspend them, which has in turn put the spotlight on the officiating of that game when it was pretty much a dead issue three days ago.  And NO ONE outside of the Tech fanbase even heard the radio call to begin with...now everyone has.  

Bowlsby is about as dumb as a bag of rocks.

Typical Bowlsby idiocy.

16 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If this is in reference to the video above it looks pretty conclusive that the ball hits the ground between the arms. Maybe it's still inconclusive that the ground helped him control the ball & shouldn't have been overturned, but there have been plenty... PLENTY... of more questionable calls that have been overturned & seemingly obvious calls not overturned. Aside from the OSU debacle of whatever year it was with Strong, I've never suspected any sort of grand conspiracy with refs. Maybe I'm overly naive, I just think the sheer number of cameras & new technology has allowed to see what's always been true, there are a lot of close calls that could go either way. Replay review helps with some, but at the end of the day the game is lightening quick & you have to be looking at the exact right spot at the exact right time to make every call & that's just not going to happen. What will happen is belly-aching from a fan base that has felt like it's been slighted & if one thing is as certain as death & taxes, it's TTU fans feeling like they're getting the raw deal from the refs.

15 minutes ago, hook me said:

What will happen is belly-aching from a fan base that has felt like it's been slighted & if one thing is as certain as death & taxes, it's TTU fans feeling like they're getting the raw deal from the refs.

Uh...after every UT game, there is at least one thread on this site that is entirely dedicated to how bad the refs screwed Texas, so pot, kettle, etc...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gunsup said:

Uh...after every UT game, there is at least one thread on this site that is entirely dedicated to how bad the refs screwed Texas, so pot, kettle, etc...

every fanbase has idiots & message boards are a great place for them to congregate. I have no problem complaining about referees, it's the "there's a grand conspiracy.." or "these refs have been paid off" complaining that I roll my eyes at, and yes, I roll my eyes at those wearing burnt orange who propagate that nonsense just as much as those in red & black. That said, the next time Craig Way says anything even remotely close to what the TTU radio guys did in those clips will be the first time he does so in my memory. That's the difference between the outspoken minority of message board posters & the general consensus of a fanbase.

Pretty shitty on both ends. A professional radio guy saying the refs actively want the other team to win, thats message board level bitchassedness, even when the refs do in fact suck (they often do). The league suspending them is equally stupid and petty. In any event, yes, Bowlsby sucks, and I don't understand why the schools don't get together to replace him.

Ignoring the fuckery is condoning it.

Some of us have statistics to back it up. Do you think Kansas won the game in overtime? Did Kansas benefit from obvious holding to score the 2 point conversion? Did they get 15 yards closer to the end zone because a longhorn spun a football. Did Texas get a phantom Unsportsman penalty to start the overtime?

Yeah we suck.

4 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

Bowlsby is about as dumb as a bag of rocks.   Here's the irony of this whole thing.  Most every Tech fan had moved on about the officiating by Sunday night or Monday, and no one anywhere in the media was even aware of the Tech broadcast crews' comments.  No one was really talking about any of it after that until Bob Bowlsby decided he wasn't going to be shown up by some pissant radio crew (in his mind) and wanted to flex his muscle and show everyone what a big man he was by not only reprimanding them, but by also doing the unprecedented action of suspending them and then tweeting it out for the whole world to see.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Some of us have statistics to back it up. Do you think Kansas won the game in overtime? Did Kansas benefit from obvious holding to score the 2 point conversion? Did they get 15 yards closer to the end zone because a longhorn spun a football. Did Texas get a phantom Unsportsman penalty to start the overtime?

Yeah we suck.

This is what UT football has devolved to. Complaining that a loss to Kansas was jobbing by the officials.

A loss to Kansas.

Kansas. 

• Haha 1

I heard the tech announcers just today in the rant “I’ve never seen worse officiating ever” or whatever they said.

My first thought was they are new and didn’t see the game maybe 10 to 12 years ago with that douche o lineman from tech with the clown paint that wrapped his arm around Rak’s neck and hurt his knee. Also the defensive lineman for texas getting a holding call. There was a video with all the phantom penalties.

Oh well, suck it tech. Hurts doesn’t it?

7 hours ago, markstanco said:

I heard the tech announcers just today in the rant “I’ve never seen worse officiating ever” or whatever they said.

My first thought was they are new and didn’t see the game maybe 10 to 12 years ago with that douche o lineman from tech with the clown paint that wrapped his arm around Rak’s neck and hurt his knee. Also the defensive lineman for texas getting a holding call. There was a video with all the phantom penalties.

Oh well, suck it tech. Hurts doesn’t it?

Since we won the game, no, it doesn't hurt all that much.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Nivek said:

That isn't what I said at all.  I am sorry syphilis has taken so much from you.  

I know it’s not what you meant. But the reality is that the program has sunk to the point that UT fans can (and maybe should) actually make that complaint—that unfair or bad officiating cost UT the Kansas game. 
Officials should never, ever, ever be the reason UT loses a game to Kansas. It shouldn’t even be in the realm of possibilities. It should be the case that if the crew was made up of KU players’ moms, UT should still win by 30. 
And yet here we are, parsing some bad calls. I know, you weren’t actually saying that those calls cost the game.  But the fact that you can make that case, even in using it in a different way (presumably to counter the frequent narrative that officials are pro-UT), points out the futility of the current state of UT football. 
Although I am in a hospital bed currently, I am not suffering from syphilis. Thanks for your concern. 

13 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I don’t feel bad at all tbh. Every time we complain about officiating these other teams tell us to shut up and stop bitching. So whatever, have fun with you shitty refs in a shitty second rate conference 

Yes, and you can have an equal amount of fun helping everyone in your division get their 6th win every year, cocksucker lmao

4 hours ago, nnm said:

I know it’s not what you meant. But the reality is that the program has sunk to the point that UT fans can (and maybe should) actually make that complaint—that unfair or bad officiating cost UT the Kansas game. 
Officials should never, ever, ever be the reason UT loses a game to Kansas. It shouldn’t even be in the realm of possibilities. It should be the case that if the crew was made up of KU players’ moms, UT should still win by 30. 
And yet here we are, parsing some bad calls. I know, you weren’t actually saying that those calls cost the game.  But the fact that you can make that case, even in using it in a different way (presumably to counter the frequent narrative that officials are pro-UT), points out the futility of the current state of UT football. 
Although I am in a hospital bed currently, I am not suffering from syphilis. Thanks for your concern. 

Sorry for being a dick.  

We all know that you should never let it come down to officiating, but well, the bitching about officiating was actually going on during Mack's tenure as well.   At first I thought it was just confirmation bias but as I paid more attention to it, well, it is kind of true.    UT should be better at football, but well, we are not.   Wins matters to recruits and so when officials start picking winners and losers (had we beat OU/OSU this year, without the fuckery by the officials, we would still have a better shot at recruits, and more confidence/morale.)   Now the morale is at such a point that near winless Kansas walks in and out with a win (also gifted by the refs).   

I have little doubt that our early wins would be losses if we played them at this point in the season.   

The refs have a lot of power, there was a nice article about several officials that were unnamed but they found that there were definitely tendencies to influence, slow down, or even had percentages of abnormality when underdogs won, or how they compared to the spread.   The article was focused on the betting side and how betting sites look into the records of the officials and their biases.    

Here is a second article if you might be bored, not as good as the one I closed and cannot find now.   Anyway, get well.

Link2

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

Texas Tech to retire this particular horse after tomorrow.  I believe I would retire too if I had to carry this fat chick around.

A0880E74-D507-40A4-9F1C-81ABBD2C15E9.jpeg

I was watching TTU play UNM about 30 years ago when the horse galloped across the field, skidded across the track, and slammed into the wall.  I think it was at halftime. Nothing like killing your live mascot at halftime to cast a pall over a sporting event. 

edit:  it was 1994, and the 3rd quarter. 
some typical aggy shenanigans detailed later in the same story:

https://www.tampabay.com/archive/1994/09/04/texas-tech-mascot-dies-during-game/

Edited by nnm
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Yeah it's wild that an accident happened.

Just ask texum Longhorn fans, "Where'd all the money go?   Oh you ran it into a wall like 3 times in a row?"

Fuck off Horn fans.

Bought $1 tickets to the Okie State v TTU game last night to take the kids (yes, tickets were $1 each). From parking, to stadium entrance to actual game atmosphere, it was pretty solid. I was impressed. The crowd was probably 75% capacity so that was cool as well. 

The girls enjoyed the pregame festivities and seeing the tribute to the mascot that was being retired. 

The product on the field, however, was terrible--and really for both teams. I was shocked that Okie State looked at inept as Tech. I went to a 4A high school playoff game on Friday night and there was more creativity on offense and passion displayed by the players. I was particularly shocked that Cumbie didn't go for broke and let it all hang out on offense. If you are going to score 0, do it with style. 

We left a little after the third quarter started because everyone including me saw that it was not getting any better and we were all tired (I had gotten up at 3:30 a.m. to fish a bass tournament). 

BTW, the biggest cheer of the night was when the suspended radio crew came on the field to help present an award to some retiring media producer that worked for TTU. Also saw several "Free Jensen & Harris t-shirts"

52 minutes ago, squib said:

Bought $1 tickets to the Okie State v TTU game last night to take the kids (yes, tickets were $1 each). From parking, to stadium entrance to actual game atmosphere, it was pretty solid. I was impressed. The crowd was probably 75% capacity so that was cool as well. 

The girls enjoyed the pregame festivities and seeing the tribute to the mascot that was being retired. 

The product on the field, however, was terrible--and really for both teams. I was shocked that Okie State looked at inept as Tech. I went to a 4A high school playoff game on Friday night and there was more creativity on offense and passion displayed by the players. I was particularly shocked that Cumbie didn't go for broke and let it all hang out on offense. If you are going to score 0, do it with style. 

We left a little after the third quarter started because everyone including me saw that it was not getting any better and we were all tired (I had gotten up at 3:30 a.m. to fish a bass tournament). 

BTW, the biggest cheer of the night was when the suspended radio crew came on the field to help present an award to some retiring media producer that worked for TTU. Also saw several "Free Jensen & Harris t-shirts"

They let it all hang out last week against ISU - and it worked - but I don't think they had anything else left to pull out of the bag after that.  ISU wasn't ready for our redshirt QB, but OSU was.

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Keeping Cumbie for at least 2022 seems like a good move by the new Head Coach...  

Yeah, I think it's a good idea to help the transition to the new regime, first and foremost, but I also think it's smart politics from McGuire not to cut him loose now, so no one can say Cumbie didn't get a fair shake.  I think he's a pretty mediocre OC, but there are a lot of Tech fans that still really like the guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Update at Texas Tech

Joey McGuire's offensive staff is close to complete.

ZACH BARNETT

Zach Kittley has been announced as Texas Tech's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, and the pieces are falling into place around him. 

DeAndre Smith has been retained as running backs coach, and on Monday it was reported Emmett Jones will return to Lubbock to coach the wide receivers and Stephen Hamby will handle the offensive line. (The Hamby hire was first reported by Matt Zenitz of On3 and the Jones hire by Red Raider Sports; FootballScoop can confirm both moves.)

Jones is the former head coach at Dallas' South Oak Cliff High School who broke into the college game in a player development role at Texas Tech in 2015, then moved to wide receivers coach in 2016 and '17. He has spent the past four years at Kansas.

Hamby is a former Red Raider who began coaching as an offensive line assistant at his alma mater in 2013. He left in 2016 for the O-line job on Mike Jinks' Bowling Green staff. Hamby joined the Western Kentucky support staff in 2019 and was promoted to offensive line coach when Kittley joined the program ahead of this season.

At tight end, FootballScoop has heard rumors that Jason Witten and Riley Dodge will coach the position. Head coach Joey McGuire has relationships with both men, and both would further tap into the Dallas-Fort Worth recruiting pipeline.

In addition to being a successful high school coach -- he's 52-4 as the head coach at Southlake Carroll, his alma mater, with a state championship appearance in 2020 and a state semifinal game coming on Saturday -- Dodge has a connection to potentially the most important recruit in Texas Tech history.

However, FootballScoop does not believe either hire to be likely. (Don't rule either coach out for future college moves, though.) 

We're told Austin Peay co-offensive coordinator Josh Cochran is the leading candidate to coach the Red Raiders' tight ends. Cochran coached alongside McGuire at Baylor and has connections in East Texas.

While the offensive staff is close to complete, McGuire's defensive coordinator search remains ongoing. McGuire originally targeted Louisiana defensive coordinator Patrick Toney, who instead followed Billy Napier to Florida.

• Like 1