Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

Tech had a pretty big recruiting haul this past weekend with 6 players and bumped them from in the 90s to the mid 50s

probably a big sigh of relief for a bit for some Tech fans and probably can help them land a few more sooner than later

looking at what Kansas is doing I am pretty impressed Lester is pulling in player from all over the country and only 1 from Texas I believe which I think is a damn good idea and what the Big 12 could use some of......I am hoping that Wells has some out of state talent lined up perhaps for another multi-player commit day because thinking that a shit load of Texas *** players and maybe a couple of **** will get it done long term is just not going to work

every team that has had success recently in the Big 12 has moved away from going after a mass number of Texas players....ISU in particular and OU as well....it looks like Gundy is going more national as well and Les is for sure and Herman has said the same

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:53 PM, nnm said:

Some good stuff in that SEC rant thread. Here’s my favorite exchange:

Posted by Bama94 iconAlabama.gif on 6/12/19 at 3:31 pm to BurlesonCountyAg
quote:
A&M is a known brand worldwide. We have a huge enrollment and the Aggie Network is extremely powerful. The football program is a sleeping giant. Even Saban knows it.

Good grief, so is every other P5 university that's on TV. Sleeping giant doesn't shine anyone's shoes when you've been mediocre for 30 years.  

You people brag about yourselves as if you're Harvard when all you really are is a big state supported school with marginal football, basketball, and baseball. At least Vandy is good at baseball.
This post was edited on 6/12 at 3:34 pm

Best comment is from an Alabama fan:

A&M is the guy who keeps getting invited to poker games and he thinks it’s because everyone likes him.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

once again Tech beats the competition in meat judging

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/local-news/texas-tech-claims-national-championship-at-reciprocal-meat-conference-in-colorado/

it is always fun to make fun of meat judging, but the carnivorous nature of most of the individuals in this forum should make them thankful that so many Tech grads are bringing the quality beef

plus there are a lot of other high quality universities (and aggy) that participate in meat judging so Tech is going against tough competition

• 2 weeks later...

Texas Tech Finishes Third in Men's Capital One Cup Standings

LUBBOCK, Texas – After a historic spring that featured a national title and two top-four national finishes, Texas Tech has achieved its highest finish all-time in the men's Capital One Cup as the Red Raiders closed the 2018-19 year in third place.

The Capital One Cup is awarded each year to the nation's top men's and women's athletics programs based on a scoring system that grants points for top-10 finishes in NCAA Division-I championships. Points are also awarded for top-10 finishes in official coaches' polls for every sport.

Each sport is placed into one of two groups to determine its points value. Group A includes the sports of cross country, track and field, tennis and golf among sports Tech's sponsors, while Group B features football, basketball and baseball. The value of points for Group B sports are triple that of the total for Group A.

Tech claimed 36 points for its national runner-up finish at the Men's Final Four and then added 20 more points from its national title at the Track and Field Outdoor Championships. The men's track and field team previously finished tied for sixth at the indoor championships for five points, while Tech's run to the final four teams at the College World Series resulted in 18 points.

Virginia claimed the men's Capital One Cup with 127 points after the Cavaliers won national titles in both men's basketball and lacrosse. Stanford finished second with 88 points followed by Tech with 79, Maryland with 75 and Vanderbilt with 70.

Tech was the only school from the state of Texas to finish among the top 10, marking the second-consecutive year the Red Raiders have recorded the highest showing in the Lone Star State. Tech was also the only Big 12 Conference program to finish in the top 10 of the men's standings.

On 7/14/2019 at 1:05 AM, Lobo said:

Didn’t realize Lubbock had a Photon facility.  Or is they Laser Tag?  Either way, they’re available for parties or corporate events.  

Yeah, I'm sure recruits really hate all the lights and being put on display like a comic book hero.

......the win/loss record on the other hand lol

48 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Who are the grad transfers?

https://wreckemred.com/2019/05/07/texas-tech-football-matt-wells-trying-bridge-roster-gap-grad-transfers/2/

WR – Reginald Turner II; Louisiana-Monroe

Monday, Tech added Reginald Turner II to the roster.  A 6-foot-2, 204-pound wide receiver, Turner hauled in 90 passes for 1,662 yards and 10 touchdowns in his three-year career at Louisiana-Monroe..

RB – Armand Shyne; Utah

With Ward’s status in serious doubt, Tech has added grad transfer Armand Shyne, a 5-foot-11, 210-pound running back originally from Oakland, California.  In three seasons at Utah, Shyne ran for 885 yards and nine touchdowns on 198 carries (4.5 yards per carry).  His 2018 total of 512 yards would have led all Texas Tech rushers despite the fact that Shyne was the second-string running back for the Utes.

DB – Zech McPhearson, Penn State

When Texas tech fans took a glance at the high school recruiting profile of new Red Raider defensive back Zech McPhearson upon learning that the former Penn State Nittany Lion had decided to transfer to Texas Tech, they were quite impressed.  A 4-star recruit in 2014, the Maryland native held offers from Alabama, Clemson, Iowa, Michigan State, Ohio State and Wisconsin out of high school.

But in two seasons at Penn State (he redshirted as a freshman meaning he has two years eligibility remaining), he mainly saw action only on special teams.  Thus far in his career, he has made just eleven tackles while being credited with three pass defenses

LB – Evan Rambo; Cal

But Tech is transitioning to a 3-3-5 scheme that will employ a hybrid linebacker/safety player who will be asked to both rush the passer and drop into coverage.  Perhaps Rambo, who played safety at Cal his first two years, will get a shot to fill that role.  At 6-foot-4, 215-pounds he appears too slight to be counted on as a inside LB where both Brooks and Jeffers weigh at least 240-pounds.

while not a grad transfer he is already approved to play immediately

This weekend, the Texas Tech football team received fantastic news when McLane Mannix, an inside receiver who transferred from Nevada this offseason, was granted a waiver allowing him to play this fall.

I am sure anyone can pick apart all of the above 5 for various reasons, but keep in mind without them Tech would basically have about nothing at some of those positions and Tech has been playing with about nothing and with warm bodies as backups for those positions and sometimes even as starters over the last few years (receiver the main exception to that)

none of them seem to have any character issues at all and fans of the schools they left have been pretty positive about their ability to contribute (Utah and Cal the most)...the Penn State guy will probably have something to prove and I think the ULM guy will be better than expected they play some good football at ULM relative to their overall D1-A position and he will know what it is like to play tough competition (even if for a loss) because ULM schedules pretty tough in the OOC

one other as well that is recent

https://www.kcbd.com/2019/06/26/texas-tech-football-adds-grad-transfer-qb/

probably not on the same level as the above 5 players, but thanks to kliff being a total idiot Tech is still somehow a bit short at QB especially considering the injury issues and jett duffy being a total asshat and capable of getting suspended or failing out or doing some other stupid shit in the next hour much less between now and the end of the season

so a big frame QB with some experience helps especially with the transfer of McClane Carter Carter McClane

Edited by ButtFumble

and this just in from the no shit file

https://wreckemred.com/2019/07/14/texas-tech-football-kliff-kingsbury-admits-he-didnt-like-recruiting/

Former Texas Tech head coach Kliff Kingsbury admits that he was not as big of a fan of recruiting as he should have been, via ESPN’s Josh Weinfuss:

what an asshole I hope he gets fucked in the NFL in fact I hope his ass gets smashed into and knocked out on the sidelines he is a total joke as a head coach and a person

16 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

and this just in from the no shit file

https://wreckemred.com/2019/07/14/texas-tech-football-kliff-kingsbury-admits-he-didnt-like-recruiting/

Former Texas Tech head coach Kliff Kingsbury admits that he was not as big of a fan of recruiting as he should have been, via ESPN’s Josh Weinfuss:

what an asshole I hope he gets fucked in the NFL in fact I hope his ass gets smashed into and knocked out on the sidelines he is a total joke as a head coach and a person

I think it would be quicker to list the aspects of being a college head college Kliff did enjoy: i.e. drawing up plays, coaching QBs and helping to design tacky uniforms.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So Tech succumbs to the PC police and changes the name of the cotton game where they pay tribute to the cotton industry to the celebrate agriculture game.  Why, not official but the rumor is because cotton is racist.  It has been all downhill in football since Leach was fired.  Here's to a 4-5 win season.   Going see a lot of empty seats this year on Saturdays at the Jones I bet.

https://today.ttu.edu/posts/2019/08/NewsReleases/casnr-media-day

54 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

So Tech succumbs to the PC police and changes the name of the cotton game where they pay tribute to the cotton industry to the celebrate agriculture game.  Why, not official but the rumor is because cotton is racist.  It has been all downhill in football since Leach was fired.  Here's to a 4-5 win season.   Going see a lot of empty seats this year on Saturdays at the Jones I bet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moby Ric said:

Regardless of the reason for the change, I kind of like a celebration of Agriculture themed game over just a cotton themed game.  Yes, cotton is the cash crop around Lubbock, but Tech has a lot of alumni and supporters in agriculture outside of cotton farming.  Ranchers, vets, etc.  I think it's a good change, personally, because it celebrates all of Tech's agricultural roots.

• 3 weeks later...