Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

Bowman probably needs to retire.  Tough kid but he is going to destroy his body for a less than marginal football team?  Not worth it.  Time to see what Duffy can do, and Tech better hit the recruiting trail hard for a serious QB to come in.  That last game was pure shit and it is going to be a very long season.

On 9/17/2019 at 9:15 AM, Moby Ric said:

Bowman probably needs to retire.  Tough kid but he is going to destroy his body for a less than marginal football team?  Not worth it.  Time to see what Duffy can do, and Tech better hit the recruiting trail hard for a serious QB to come in.  That last game was pure shit and it is going to be a very long season.

Who does Tech have left at QB??

Wonder what blOU vs Tech betting line will be??

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

That line is for the first half, right?

Maybe Ole Linc will take it easy on us...

Yeah +24 for Tech in Norman seems low due to injury to Tech QB.

How are Tech fans feeling about Wells recruiting for his 2020 and 2021 classes??

Edited by LTtxfan
corrected odds... Not a gambler 😀

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

How are Tech fans feeling about Wells recruiting for his 2020 and 2021 classes??

I am absolutely on board and giving him time to build the program the way he wants it. What else do we have to lose?

5 hours ago, Iceman said:

I am absolutely on board and giving him time to build the program the way he wants it. What else do we have to lose?

That's kind of it.  Wells deserves some time, it can't get much worse.  The stuff that Kliff has admitted to like not really recruiting shows how he left the program.  Wells has his work cut out for him.

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Seemingly doing a fair amount of work on the 2021 guys.  Only one 2021 commitment at this point however.  One would think a commitment would be forthcoming at some point from QB Behren Morton. He's a kid who has visited multiple times  with a pretty good offer list and ties to Tech. 

Currently have 16 2020 commitments .  One 4 star, one 2 star and the rest 3 stars.  All but one or two have other power 5 offers as I recall.  I'd term the class fairly solid at this point but certainly far from spectacular.  A 2019 season in the dumper won't help.

6 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Fyi for anyone looking to watch Tech @ Oklahoma this weekend.... also F*ck Dish... 

I have sling, and they've lost the Fox channels too (I think Sling is owned by Dish).  So, Sling billed me on the 23rd, got rid of/lost the channel I specifically

subscribed to watch on the 26th, and they won't do a damn thing to compensate me for it.

Edited by Dirk X West

56 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

I have sling, and they've lost the Fox channels too (I think Sling is owned by Dish).  So, Sling billed me on the 23rd, got rid of/lost the channel I specifically

subscribed to watch on the 26th, and they won't do a damn thing to compensate me for it.

yeah, is final nail for me to make the switch to "cord cutter"... convenience and ease was all they had left... might as well save some money if I'm going to have to jump through some hoops anyway

3 hours ago, BluTechsan said:

He didn't start Jett last week vs OU

I think it's pretty clear he knew Tyner couldn't hang at this level.  I'm fairly sure starting him was a statement to Duffey and the rest of the team that the guy who works hard and does things the right way will get the first crack at a starting job.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

if Jett is going to be your guy, if you want there to be some hope and trust in your guy, and you know OU is going to face rape you, maybe you throw a fall guy out there before making Jett the starter.

Jett has had numerous chances to show he's trustworthy and has failed to do so.  He didn't earn Kliff's trust (i.e. the trust of the guy that recruited him), and he hasn't earned the trust of the new staff.  If he's improved at all in the time he's been at Tech, it's barely discernible, and he's had multiple off field disciplinary issues, including getting kicked off the team for a year.  If Tech had anything else resembling a D1 QB, that guy would be playing instead of Duffey.  That's how it is.  He knows that, and anyone paying attention know that.  There are even rumors that he wants to transfer out at the end of the season.  It's just a bad situation, left over from the previous regime.  I think Wells is much more interested in establishing the culture he wants, rather than investing loads of time and energy in players like Duffey who almost certainly won't be around next year, just so the scores in losses are a little less lopsided.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

Based on how both teams have performed so far, you'd have to think so.  

KU looked good against BC and played well against WVU but they were awful on Saturday against a TCU team that was mad about losing to SMU.  I think they're much better than they showed in Fort Worth but I don't know how much better. 

Just now, angelos's frog said:

KU looked good against BC and played well against WVU but they were awful on Saturday against a TCU team that was mad about losing to SMU.  I think they're much better than they showed in Fort Worth but I don't know how much better. 

I'm not sure that hanging with WVU proves very much.

14 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Aware starting QB for Tech hurt.

What's the story on "complete dumb pass for thinking otherwise" here regarding going with Jett going forward?  

The Rice transfer had seen very limited action in two of TT's previous games.  He was beyond awful in those brief tries.  Literally everyone, fans included, but Wells realized, even in spite of Duffey's shortcomings, he was the better option of the two.  This was a guy who couldn't play at Rice and he's going to play against OU and 84000 fans and be successful?

it took a total of 6 plays for Wells to become aware of how stupid his decision.  Duffey played every offensive snap thereafter.

7 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

The Rice transfer had seen very limited action in two of TT's previous games.  He was beyond awful in those brief tries.  Literally everyone, fans included, but Wells realized, even in spite of Duffey's shortcomings, he was the better option of the two.  This was a guy who couldn't play at Rice and he's going to play against OU and 84000 fans and be successful?

it took a total of 6 plays for Wells to become aware of how stupid his decision.  Duffey played every offensive snap thereafter.

Thanks...

Did not see a QB commit in 2020 class... besides going after JC or Grad-transfer QB's, what's Wells recruiting plan to add more QB's??

8 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

I think it's pretty clear he knew Tyner couldn't hang at this level.  I'm fairly sure starting him was a statement to Duffey and the rest of the team that the guy who works hard and does things the right way will get the first crack at a starting job.  

We'll have to disagree about that one.  If he was trying to simply make a "work hard" statement then I think he'd have played Tyner more than 6 plays--especially given the futility of this TT team trying to win in Norman.  At least put him back in the game at some point or something.

Wells certainly didn't hesitate to give some of those recent transfers playing time in the early season in any attempt to provide a work hard lesson

I think there's a good chance he's just that much of a dumb ass.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

I agree. 

I was merely answering LTtxfan

22 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Thanks...

Did not see a QB commit in 2020 class... besides going after JC or Grad-transfer QB's, what's Wells recruiting plan to add more QB's??

https://247sports.com/Player/Behren-Morton-46058681/

Found this on  4 star 2021 QB target for Tech

QB Behren Morton from Eastland

Saying that Eastland is part of West Texas is a bit of a stretch.  After all, it is only 95 miles west of Ft. Worth.  But in Eastland lives a 2021 QB who definitely has West Texas in his blood.   Already a 4-star prospect, Behren Morton will be one of the top prizes in next year’s recruiting cycle.  Fortunately for the Red Raiders, he is already more than familiar with Texas Tech.

That’s because Morton’s father James was the head coach at Lubbock Monterey from 2004-08.  During that time when Morton was in his formative youthful years, he was inundated with Texas Tech football during the most successful time the program has ever seen.  So the consensus is that Tech is the school to beat for the No. 8 dual-threat QB in the nation and the No. 38 player in Texas.  In addition to Tech, he holds offers from Baylor, TCU, A&M, USC, Wisconsin, Boise State, Houston, and Oklahoma State.

Last year, Morton threw for 2,435 yards and 18 touchdowns while rushing for 146 yards and four more scores.  He completed 62.7% of his passes and threw only four interceptions, both unbelievable numbers for a sophomore.  Should Morton commit to the Red Raiders, he would be the latest in a long line of West Texas products to play the position at Tech.  That includes 2019 QB signee Maverick McIvor from San Angelo.  Morton is already the Red Raiders’ top priority for 2021 and should he sign, he could the highest-rated high school QB to commit to Tech since Graham Harrell in 2004.

Edited by LTtxfan

19 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Thanks...

If he wasn't hurt, 6'3" Frosh Maverick Mcivor from San Angelo would have been Bowman's backup to start the year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Thanks...

Well, of course, Maverick McIvor should be healed within the next 3 weeks and could see some action in 4 games and keep his red shirt.

Actually, Tech has a qb commitment for 2020.  He's the son of a TT asst. coach.  Played qb at Bishop Gorman  on the sub varsity level.  As a Jr., he started at WR for them given the starting qb was already held by a Penn State commit.  Moved to Lubbock this fall and is starting at qb for one of the high schools.  Very athletic kid.  Donavan Smith.

TT also looks likely to get a 2021 commitment from Behren Morton.  Pretty decent offer list.  He's made 6 or 8 Tech visits already and has ties to the school and Lubbock.

^^^ this

It's fucking criminal negligence that Kliff didn't get more out of his teams with Mahomes and how he left the team in shambles upon his much needed dismissal.  How the hell he managed an NFL head coaching job in Arizona makes me think perhaps the powers at be in the Cardinals organization are somehow more incompetent than he is...

Edited by Loose Stool

1 hour ago, pigmeat markham said:

Well, of course, Maverick McIvor should be healed within the next 3 weeks and could see some action in 4 games and keep his red shirt.  Actually, Tech has a qb commitment for 2020.  He's the son of a TT asst. coach.  Played qb at Bishop Gorman  on the sub varsity level.  As a Jr., he started at WR for them given the starting qb was already held by a Penn State commit.  Moved to Lubbock this fall and is starting at qb for one of the high schools.  Very athletic kid.  Donavan Smith.

TT also looks likely to get a 2021 commitment from Behren Morton.  Pretty decent offer list.  He's made 6 or 8 Tech visits already and has ties to the school and Lubbock.

Thanks.   Yeah, posted stuff on Morton (2021) a few posts earlier. 

Did not know Donovan is a QB...

Donovan Smith

Donovan SmithFrenship (Wolfforth, TX) 
6-4 / 192
NA 109 198

Commit 2/25/2019

ATH
Edited by LTtxfan

15 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

We'll have to disagree about that one.  If he was trying to simply make a "work hard" statement then I think he'd have played Tyner more than 6 plays--especially given the futility of this TT team trying to win in Norman.  At least put him back in the game at some point or something.

Wells certainly didn't hesitate to give some of those recent transfers playing time in the early season in any attempt to provide a work hard lesson

I think there's a good chance he's just that much of a dumb ass.

You really think someone who's a former college QB himself, a former FBS level OC, and currently a FBS level head coach with an overall winning record is that poor an evaluator of QB talent?  I see no reason whatsoever to believe that.

Edited by Dirk X West