Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

I'd been a give Wells a chance guy for a while figuring he needed some more time, but it just feels like he no longer wants to be there (certainly many people don't want him there).  There is definitely some internal issues going on that all show signs that he might not make it until the end of the year but certainly won't be back next year and he may well help them get there sooner than later.

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Maybe they can pull Sonny Dykes away from SMU. 

I don't think he'd do that honestly. He's got a great thing going at SMU and there's no telling what happens to Tech once Texas-Oklahoma leave for the SEC.

Tech takes Traylor and then if Sark doesn't work out, we poach another Tech coach in a few years??? 🤣

• Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Neal Brown?  Is he married to some West Texas homecoming queen or something?  I can't see Tech going after someone without ties to Texas the state or Tech the school this time.

He was the OC at Tech under Tuberville, but our offense sucked when he was at Tech.  Besides that, he was the only guy Matt Wells could actually beat, outside of Kansas (who he even lost to once).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Very close friend is a bit Tech guy. I know he has sources but he was way fucking wrong on Beard. I had no inside sources on our end but I told him Beard was not only in play but likely to take the Texas job. He didn't believe it until Beard showed up in Austin. I will be reminding him of this today.

I mentioned Briles to him. He said no way Tech does that. He said there's way better coaches out there they can get. I told him there's "cleaner" coaches for sure but not sure there's better that they could land. I also said Briles being "absolved" at Baylor gave them whatever cover they needed to hire him and Tape Fingers. Plus, it's Tech. They can do shit like this. He's got his eyes on Dykes but I think that will be a hard pull for reasons mentioned above. He thinks they can do way better than Traylor. We'll see.

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Very close friend is a bit Tech guy. I know he has sources but he was way fucking wrong on Beard. I had no inside sources on our end but I told him Beard was not only in play but likely to take the Texas job. He didn't believe it until Beard showed up in Austin. I will be reminding him of this today.

I mentioned Briles to him. He said no way Tech does that. He said there's way better coaches out there they can get. I told him there's "cleaner" coaches for sure but not sure there's better that they could land. I also said Briles being "absolved" at Baylor gave them whatever cover they needed to hire him and Tape Fingers. Plus, it's Tech. They can do shit like this. He's got his eyes on Dykes but I think that will be a hard pull for reasons mentioned above. He thinks they can do way better than Traylor. We'll see.

Good. Let them think this. 

24 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I mentioned Briles to him. He said no way Tech does that. He said there's way better coaches out there they can get.

He thinks they can do way better than Traylor. We'll see.

He is out of his mind.

Probably thinks firing Mike Leah was the right move, too.

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

He is out of his mind.

Probably thinks firing Mike Leah was the right move, too.

I doubt he's even given Traylor a second thought at this point. UTSA is definitely in the college FB hinterlands.

I think he was disappointed to see Leach go but he tends to drink the red-and-black Kool-Aid flowing out of Lubbock.

Agh, dammit. I don't want to see Traylor to Tech happen, but also really happy for him if it does. I am very curious how Traylor will recruit there. I think he could make a killing if he sets his territory to be West Texas/other Texas recruits passed over/ Arizona/ Utah and Oklahoma. It will be very very tough to build a power run offense in Lubbock. 

Edited by Vertigo

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Agh, dammit. I don't want to see Traylor to Tech happen, but also really happy for him if it does. I am very curious how Traylor will recruit there. I think he could make a killing if he sets his territory to be West Texas/other Texas recruits passed over/ Arizona/ Utah and Oklahoma. It will be very very tough to build a power run offense in Lubbock. 

We had a pretty good power run offense under the guy before Leach.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

So your buddy was wrong about Beard going to his Alma mater and leaving lubbock for Austin. You think he ALSO has to be wrong about Tech hiring a PR disaster of Art Briles? 

da faq? 

Edited by Bash Riprock

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Neal Brown?  Is he married to some West Texas homecoming queen or something?  I can't see Tech going after someone without ties to Texas the state or Tech the school this time.

He is a former assistant, from the Tuberville disaster.  Many of us felt like he never was allowed to run his offense, as Tubby had his hands all over that shit.

He's not my favorite candidate, but there is a connection there.

So your buddy was wrong about Beard going to his Alma mater and leaving lubbock for Austin. You think he ALSO has to be wrong about Tech hiring a PR disaster of Art Briles? 

da faq? 

I didn’t say he was wrong about Briles. He might be right. I was simply pointing out the people he talked to about Beard were wrong so if he’s hearing “no fucking chance” WRT Briles, maybe that’s not entirely correct. I have no inside intel but I could absolutely see it happen.

Why did Texas Tech fire Matt Wells now? A study of the Kansas State game explains why

ZACH BARNETT

When Texas Tech fired Matt Wells on Monday, the initial reaction for many people was bewilderment, and it was easy to understand why.

Wells got two and two-thirds seasons, one of them the COVID-marred campaign of 2020. His teams battled a number of injuries, especially at quarterback. He was 13-17, yes, but this year's team sits at 5-3, just one win shy of the program's first bowl trip since 2017. 

Normally, only scandal can trigger a midseason firing of a coach leading a 5-3 team. Given the facts listed above, one can argue Wells was more in line for an extension than a pink slip.

But a peak under the hood shows Wells' 13-17 record wasn't as strong as it looked, if that's even possible. Among his 13 wins: Montana State, UTEP, Houston Baptist (by two), Kansas (by three), Stephen F. Austin (by six), FIU and Kansas again. He beat two Big 12 teams that ended the year with winning records -- Oklahoma State in 2019 and West Virginia last season. (Tech does represent 6-1 Houston's only loss thus far.)

Furthermore, a study of Texas Tech's most recent game helps explain why AD Kirby Hocutt made this move now.

Texas Tech jumped out to a 14-0 lead over Kansas State less than five minutes into the game and led 24-10 at the half. They more than doubled K-State's output on the ground, 171-80. They forced two turnovers and committed one. 

Final score: Kansas State 25, Texas Tech 24. 

In my season-long study of 527 (and counting) FBS box scores, I've chronicled how teams that win the rushing battle go on to win 78.5 percent of the time; teams who score first win 72 percent of the time; teams who lead at the half win 83.5 percent of the time; and teams who win turnovers are victorious more than 76 percent of the time.

Teams who win all four? 

To date, here is a complete list of games where a team rushed for more yards than their opponent, gathered more takeaways than their opponent, scored first, lead at halftime, and lost anyway. 

Kansas State 25, Texas Tech 24
Incarnate Word 42, Texas State 34
South Carolina 20, East Carolina 17

Teams that win all four of those metrics are 160-3 so far this season. 

So when you're already skeptical of your head coach and then find yourself on the wrong end of a .982 winning percentage? Yeah, it's easy to see why Saturday was the last straw for Hocutt.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Enjoy your weekend off, Brian Jensen. You deserve it. 

The reactions to the call:

Jensen: I'll say it right now, the Big 12 does not want Iowa State to lose this game.

Harris: Bob Bowlsby, you need to answer to this. This is ridiculous. This is ridiculous. Unbelievable. The inconsistency of this referee crew in favor of Iowa State today, unbelievable. 

Harris would later suggest one of the officials needed to get a trainer because he was concussed and "acted like it this whole game."

The ire continued when a water bottle was thrown from the student section onto the field, leading the officials to pause the game and force a section of fans to move. That led to Harris angrily reading off the names of every official working the game.

Edited by LTtxfan

Jensen: I'll say it right now, the Big 12 does not want Iowa State to lose this game.

Harris: Bob Bowlsby, you need to answer to this. This is ridiculous. This is ridiculous. Unbelievable. The inconsistency of this referee crew in favor of Iowa State today, unbelievable.

Harris would later suggest one of the officials needed to get a trainer because he was concussed and "acted like it this whole game."

The ire continued when a water bottle was thrown from the student section onto the field, leading the officials to pause the game and force a section of fans to move. That led to Harris angrily reading off the names of every official working the game.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

The "part 1" video in the twitter link above shows the goal line INT that was called an INT on the field.

Tech was flagged for excessive celebration after the play.

The play was reviewed and reversed without conclusive video evidence. The celebration penalty was enforced.

This was the straw that broke the camels back.

Throughout the game there had already been a handful of close-could go either way-calls that video evidence was inconclusive so the calls on the field should have stood. However, a reversal occurred every time the call on field favored Tech and the play stood if the call on field favored the Clones. Every. Time.

But, the nonsense actually began in the 1st qtr on a play ruled an INT for the Clone defense in which a review never took place.

Tech took a timeout to get a review and still didn't receive one.

Edited by BluTechsan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

give them credit, they have benefitted from the fuckery (their best season ever) and they have been hurt by it, but they at least called it out.  Our guys get fucked over and cry in silence.