Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

11 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

the GOR has noting in it that allows for withdrawal from the conference.....it is a totally and completely different contract from the 99 year contract for conference membership

http://www.big12sports.com/fls/10410/pdfs/handbook/ConferenceHandbook.pdf

above is a link to the contract for conference membership

section 3 page 23 Withdrawal

specifically section 3.2 part c

(C)  if  a  third  party  offers  to,  or  attempts  to  induce a Member to, leave the Conference and/or breach or not to fully performits future obligations under the Grant of Rights Agreement and the Member does not both (1) inform the Conference of such action as promptly as possible (butin  any  event  not  later  than  twelve  (12)  hours  after  such  action)  and  (2)  immediately and  unconditionally  reject  that  offer  in  a  form  and  manner  reasonably acceptable to the Commissioner; or (D) if a Member otherwise takes 18 or  fails  to  take  actions  that  are  determined  by  a   Supermajority  of  Disinterested   Directorsto be contrary to the best interests of the Conference taken as a whole.

when you read part C along with parts A and B just above it you will see that a member is said to have withdrawn if they do not follow part C (which is actually a requirement of TWELVE HOURS not twelve days as I said previously) to notify the conference of ANY contact to leave the conference

so unless you believe that 8 members of the Big 12 are all going to sit down and in 12 hours find a way to all leave the conference to acceptable other conferences and then "notify the conference" and then vote to disband the conference then what you are saying is not possible

because once it goes past 12 hours of contact between a conference member and some other conference or some other individual or entity trying to get a member or members to leave then any of the members that have had contact and not made notification to the conference of that contact AND made notification of their LACK OF INTEREST IN LEAVING THE BIG 12 to the other party then they have technically "withdrawn from the conference and thus are not eligible to vote on conference business

so it is not possible for 8 members of the Big 12 to all get together and find suitable homes and then vote to disband the conference unless you believe that can happen in 12 hours or less and the reality is there are not going to be 8 members that would sit down and collude to try and break that section of the contract nor that would believe that they would be able to find a suitable home in a period of time less than MONTHS and thus they are not going to be a party to any 8 member back door deals especially when doing so could result in them being left out in the cold if they were found to have broke that 12 hour notification and the 2 remaining members of the big 12 decide to screw them as pay back

just as an example if Texas, OU, OkState, Tech, KSU, KU, ISU, and WVU got together and said "we can do this" and they all went out there and tried to do it and in a few days all but ISU had found a home and the other members said "well we have to let TCU and Baylor know what is up and we are prepared to pay the exit fees anyway or we are prepared to litigate and to try and get that exit fee down to $25 or $35 million each" and ISU says "no wait we need more time to find a home" and the other seven say "we are gone no matter what and we are letting TCU and Baylor know"

at that point none of those above 8 members can vote to disband the conference and more importantly in the case of ISU that has not found a home they are no longer considered a member of the Big 12 and thus they are actually still on the hook for the withdrawal fee

the "best case" for them would be that TCU and Baylor voted to keep the Big 12 in tact, they voted to litigate with the other 8 members and they told ISU that they would let them back into the conference (with bad blood), but they could easily tell ISU that part of getting back in the conference is that they get ZERO of the dollars that the other 7 members have to pay to exit the conference and that only Baylor and TCU split that money and that ISU gets nothing from any left over NCAA credits and that ISU does not even get their NCAA credits 

the worst case would be that TCU and Baylor tell ISU they want nothing to do with them and they go after them for an exit fee just like the other and ISU gets stuck paying what the other 7 pay AND they have no new conference home

plus if you read that contract closely I read it as to the fact that if any members of the Big 12 sit down and talk with each other about leaving the Big 12 together to a conference or to different conferences and especially if they discuss breaking the GOR or the contract for conference membership that in and of itself requires 12 hours notification to the Big 12 and can possibly be considered as withdrawing or it can make them ineligible to vote on conference business especially business related to keeping the conference whole or disbanding the conference or changing any exit fees

the contract is very clear that you are in violation of that contract if you try and go talking to other conferences even "causally" or if some "third party" talks with you about "what you would do if this happened" which is why I am surprised that the idiot david boren stated publicly that "he is always talking to his people about the GOR and what it means"......if that drooling old fool is still alive if and when any major shake up happens to the Big 12 those word s could really haunt OU especially and could cost them a shit ton of money 

You ever hear of sovereign immunity?  That contract is not enforceable against state entities.

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The current Big 12 is profitable, you play the same schools every year, and 90% of the league is spread along the Great Plains, giving it at least some modicum of geographic continuity.

This is better than merging with the Pac, unless you hate everything about college football.

Absolutely. Who would have thought playing the teams in your own conference every year would ever be a great and unique thing?

I have no idea why people on this board want to ruin all of it and have us have to stay up until 2 AM watching some West Coast game against some 'conference mate' we visit once every 12 years.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Absolutely. Who would have thought playing the teams in your own conference every year would ever be a great and unique thing?

I have no idea why people on this board want to ruin all of it and have us have to stay up until 2 AM watching some West Coast game against some 'conference mate' we visit once every 12 years.

I think either you are misinformed of how a schedule would work, or are just opposed to such an effort ever materializing for the XII to expand in a merger with the PAC...

There a possibility post 2025, XII could remain exactly as a 10 team conference... There's also chance the league expands with "group of 5" members as: BYU/ New Mexico... Or, depending of how media distributions are paid, how conference networks vs individual 3rd tier networks shape up, XII could be parsed between B1G & SEC, with B1G looking to add 1 or 2 members/ SEC looking to add 1 or 2 members... In my selfish opinion, I want to see both schools of Texas & Oklahoma remain within the same academic & athletic conference, including many of the regional rivals as Texas Tech/ TCU & even Kansas, plus Iowa State... But in a torn apart XII, there is only 1 option that allows 6 (or more) XII members to remain together...

Here is an example of what is being said on dirtburglar by proponents of a move to the B1G:

2 show host on KXOR 107.7 OKC / Tulsa earlier this morning said that OU will leave the Big 12 at the end of the Big GOR…They also said that osu would leave too and that at some point Texas would too…

They both indicated that “OU and Texas feel like old money” and that their best fit would be with the old money of the Big Ten with Michigan and Ohio State also feeling like old money.

As said, I prefer the option of keeping XII members together as best possible, even in a "merger" with PAC where 6 members keep their history intact...

And that option, however you phrase it, as either a XII expansion by proxy of PAC/ PAC expansion by proxy of XII, more schools remain together than if the conference is split apart from outside forces... And as far as scheduling, Texas Tech for instance, in a let's say "XII south" division of: UCLA/ USC/ Arizona/ Arizona State/ Texas Tech/ TCU/ Texas/ Oklahoma, would play home games (even years) against UCLA/ 'Zona/ TCU/ OU in division the other teams on the road, the next year (odd years) USC/ ASU/ UT; the other teams on the road... Now the 8 conference teams from the north as: Washington/ Oregon/ California/ Stanford/ Utah/ Colorado/ Kansas/ Iowa State, would rotate 2 games per season as @ Kansas/ vs Oregon...

Lastly, why would XII & PAC go through the process of "merging" the conference, only to allow the prized rabid fan bases of the CTZ to have late night games, as opposed to scheduling no later than 8:00 pm for all tier 1 games... Even the PAC fans are not in favor of the league keeping the late night tv slots, so going into 2023 for PAC & 2025 XII, that will likely change...

It could be that all of this is a moot point in 2025, as Amazon or another tech giant steps up to compensate XII at 10 schools, or by adding BYU & New Mexico for instance, and in that case, I would be just as happy in seeing rivalries I grew up watching remain an annual event within the confines of the XII... Acting like the league might not get ripped apart for the prime brands within the league would be the same folly that happened in the SWC once Arkansas left for the SEC, likewise since A&M/ NU/ Mizzou & Colorado left, it's possible going forward into 2025, the XII honestly is as valuable as both Texas & Oklahoma deem the conference, or in comparing the league to it's peer leagues of the ACC/ B1G/ SEC/ PAC...

Briles pic to lead off the page and realignment bullshit that has a dedicated thread elswhere.

Good gawd, people.  Quit kicking us in the balls for the offseason.

Edited by slorch

Perhaps the most dominant DT I ever saw play.

Blue chip and Parade All-American, he started all 4 years at Tech and was the first DT taken in the 83 NFL draft. Taken by the Steelers in the first round as the heir to Mean Joe Greene.  To this day people still talk about him running down that RB for the then number one ranked U of Washington some 60 yards (or whatever it was) down the field.

A rookie season October car wreck left him paralyzed and ended his NFL career after 6 games.  Great is an over used word for athletes, but he truly was.

RIP

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/local/sa-football-legend-gabriel-rivera-dies/273-574300426

Edited by pigmeat markham
  • Like 5

Fwiw, and I don't know this from personal experience, but have heard directly from someone who would know, that Gibbs, while being  a really good coach, sorely lacks some of the intangibles along the lines of finesse and tact much needed by a head coach.

Maybe that's what TT needs though, who knows?

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

Finesse and tact?

Jimmy Johnson and Nick Saban have those?

Of course you make a very good point, but I'd also suppose you'd agree there is certainly a need for a head coach to have some degree of interpersonal skills in dealing with the media, alums, donors, players, people/staff management, etc.

9 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

This may have been asked earlier, but I don't want to look back.   What's Coach Bro's over/under for keeping the gig?   Seven?

Hard to say exactly.  Six wins enabled him to keep his job last year. Hocutt seems to have great manlove for him. Surely, if he doesn't have a winning record though.....

Not that I get a vote, but I feel like 6 wins on this schedule would be solid.  I suspect it might take more than that what with the hole Kliffy has dug himself.  

I'm damn willing to be impressed...

I think Kliff needs 7 REGULAR SEASON wins to keep his job (bowl outcome not mattering with 7 regular season wins)

he has 4 games he must win Lamar, UH, Kansas and Baylor there is no reason to keep a coach that lets Tech fall behind UH all the more so when he somehow managed to beat them at their place last year and has them at home this year and Applewhite still has less head coaching experience than Kliff

so that leaves 3 other regular season games to choose from Ole' Miss sucks there is no reason he should lose to them in what should be pretty much a home game in a well known facility so that is 5 regular season wins then you have to beat 2 out of 3 from WVU, KSU and ISU because there is zero reason to keep him is he is going to make it clear that Tech has solidly fallen behind 3 out of 3 of those programs probably for as long as Kliff is at Tech

perhaps there is a chance with 6 regular season wins that have close losses and a bowl win over a much better team in a big way, but I don't think that much better team would come in a bowl match up with a 6 win Tech team and Kliff had that chance last year and fucked it up pretty good....I doubt that happens again with a clearly better team in a bowl game against Tech and Tech getting that bowl win

everything was in place last year with the win over Texas and a better team in a bowl game to make a statement and that statement was "same old Tech" this year either make a statement in the regular season with an above .500 record or get the fuck out because there would be no reason to think it will ever get better

Bad QB play very arguably cost us 3-4 wins last year, and I'm afraid it may again this year.  (Bad place kicking also hurt, but that's more understandable, as our starting guy got hurt and most teams don't have two good PKs.)  It would be ironic if that's what ultimately gets Kliff fired, but then his rep for coaching QBs got him the job, so "live by the sword, die by the sword" I guess. 

That used to bother me some, but the bottom line is there’s a more realistic and candid discussion of tech goings-on with this board then on raider power. There are certain people in the tech community who are only comfortable when things are a certain way. That’s their problem. 

That, and they think it’s so cute to have a pay community on the message board. It is freaking idiotic  to prop it up as some exclusive inside info board. It’s the same motherfuckers over there posting in the board, only they are paying a fee now   

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

I think it's funny how us Tech fans have to congregate to a UT message board to discuss the going ons of our program. Our community needs a message board. RP sucks cocks.

You can say that again.  There are a few good posters on RP, but it's mostly mouth breathers who live down to the worst stereotypes of Texas Tech fandom.  

RP is so bad it's literally intolerable for me.  Haven't even visited in I couldn't even tell you when and don't plan on doing so.  Not an option.

Been a member over on Red Raider Sports for years and they do on occasion present some worthwhile news, though with twitter, their value has diminished greatly.  Most of the posters are really bad, not to mention unknowledgeable.  The guy that runs the board is a complete asshole IMO and the owner/publisher is on TT's payroll so you can imagine how much candor and actual truth you get.

I hear stories of a "secret", invitation only message board that's not bad.

39 minutes ago, slorch said:

I have been banned at least 5 times over there.  More than all of the other sites I've posted on since about 2003, combined.

59 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

my handle over there was Rage Against The Maroon. After about 4 years I think I got permabanned.

What did y’all do/say to get banned?!

dont think so. for a long time they were mostly female.

The Masked Rider is the oldest and most popular mascot of Texas Tech University that still exists today. Originally the Masked Rider started as a dare in 1936 and was then called the ghost rider, because no one knew the rider's identity. These ghost riders circled the field at home football games and then disappeared.

The Masked Rider did not become an official mascot until 1954, when Joe Kirk Fulton led the team out onto the field at the Gator Bowl. Fulton, wearing Levi's, red shirt, a black cape and mounted on a black horse awed the crowd as the team made one of the most sensational entrances ever.

3 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

dont think so. for a long time they were mostly female.

Caitlyn Jenner could have been a masked rider?  Who knew?  I guess though, she does qualify as being a member of that select group who is only mostly female.

It's kind of interesting that so many of us here have the banned thing in common.  Perhaps a commentary on the culture here.  I've been banned from pretty much every TT site multiple times as well.

Edited by pigmeat markham