Oliver Luck leaving NCAA for XFL

Eastwood

This was in the Chris Del Conte thread. Did a search and it didn't pop up anywhere else. Feel like it deserves its own thread.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23702411/oliver-luck-commissioner-ceo-xfl

Oliver Luck will become the first commissioner and chief executive officer of the XFL, it was announced Tuesday.

"The XFL will be a labor of love as I get to combine my experiences as a player and executive," Luck told ESPN in an email. "I'm thrilled to have this unique opportunity to reimagine the game that has been a constant in my life for 40 years."

Luck will leave his leadership role at the NCAA, where he oversaw the organization's regulatory functions, including eligibility requirements and academic affairs, and the eligibility center.

"I always felt there was an opportunity for another pro league as long as it had the key ingredients, and I found all those ingredients present in the new XFL," Luck told ESPN's Darren Rovell on Tuesday. "There was the leadership and vision from Vince [McMahon] who is a tremendous entrepreneur with a solid track record and there is a potential to have good quality football if it is well capitalized, which of course it is."

He will relocate from Indianapolis, where his son Andrew Luck is the quarterback for the Colts, to the XFL's headquarters in Connecticut as he prepares for the league's launch in 2020.

"Oliver and I share the same vision and passion for reimagining the game of football," McMahon, the XFL's founder and chairman, said in a statement. "His experience as both an athlete and executive will ensure the long-term success of the XFL."

McMahon and NBC first launched the XFL in 2001, but it lasted just one season. Luck believes this new incarnation, announced by McMahon in January, will be built to last.

"We're focused on what we think is a solid business plan with a solid runway and a solid timeline," he told ESPN. "Our ultimate goal is to make this all work having high quality football by 2020 and that remains paramount.

"Everything is going to be different [than 2001]."

Luck previously served as the president of NFL Europe and as the chief executive officer of the Houston Sports Authority, which helped bring the Texans to Houston as an NFL expansion team in 2002.

He also played quarterback for the Houston Oilers and at West Virginia University, where he was inducted into the Mountaineers' Hall of Fame and later spent four years as athletic director. He also served on the College Football Playoff selection committee in 2014.

I guess this is a pay increase? I know it's a higher position, but does anyone really expect the XFL redux to work? Or is working in the NCAA such a mindnumbing bureaucratic nightmare that he had to get out?

Luck has always been a shrewd guy.  My guess is that the disaster of the NCAA is so much bigger than he was expecting and he can't fix it.  He also likely got more guaranteed money from Vince to try to get the league off the ground and sees the NFL as somewhat vulnerable of late.  I'm sure if it fails horribly, Luck will have plenty of options to fall back on and will end up with more money in his pocket than if he stayed at the NCAAs.

31 minutes ago, deech said:

Luck has always been a shrewd guy.  My guess is that the disaster of the NCAA is so much bigger than he was expecting and he can't fix it.  He also likely got more guaranteed money from Vince to try to get the league off the ground and sees the NFL as somewhat vulnerable of late.  I'm sure WHEN it fails horribly, Luck will have plenty of options to fall back on and will end up with more money in his pocket than if he stayed at the NCAAs.

FIFY

1 hour ago, deech said:

Luck has always been a shrewd guy.  My guess is that the disaster of the NCAA is so much bigger than he was expecting and he can't fix it.  He also likely got more guaranteed money from Vince to try to get the league off the ground and sees the NFL as somewhat vulnerable of late.  I'm sure if it fails horribly, Luck will have plenty of options to fall back on and will end up with more money in his pocket than if he stayed at the NCAAs.

Preps his resume for a move to the NFL. Surely he couldn't be any more of a fuck up than Goodell, right?

Considering there’s a CBS backed Alliance of American Football league that starts a year earlier next spring, it’s going to be tough... But I’m all for more football but, two spring leagues??  

Edited by Hook1997